1. Post #641
    December 2013
    1,289 Posts
    Does that method support alpha?
    Unfortunately not. I've tried clearing the render target before I send the information, but it still just ends up black. I think it might be something to do with my shader.

2. Post #642
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,600 Posts
    Does anyone have any experience dealing with Steamworks and Sessions. I've tried to use both the Advanced Sessions and normal Sessions and rig together a basic Matchmaking system by finding games with less then 2 players but greater then 1, but it always fails to Join a session due to "Unable to create due to Null game, or Unable to obtain correct session info". Can anyone shed some light?

I do have my own Steam AppID if that helps.

3. Post #643
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,909 Posts
    My new plugin, hits the marketplace tomorrow!

Essentially lets you turn painted foliage instances or static meshes into your own blueprint or actors
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Venezuela Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #644
    March 2014
    3,504 Posts
    My new plugin, hits the marketplace tomorrow!

Essentially lets you turn painted foliage instances or static meshes into your own blueprint or actors
    Fuck yeah dude bout time you got it out there!

5. Post #645
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,909 Posts
    Marketplace new release scheludes fucked me over, it took about 5 months since i submitted the plugin for them to finally check it all over and give me a release date but at least its done now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

6. Post #646
    October 2009
    22 Posts
    Hi, I'm trying to implement a blueprint based gun very similar to the FPS starter content's but when i fire it will ONLY fire somewhere in a 180 degree circle related to the map. What i mean by that is if i shoot behind me or twist the player start location backwards it will shoot at the same trajectory through me, in the same direction as if i was shooting facing the other direction. I've looked to see what exactly I've done wrong and i'm drawing blanks even after looking at the premade character for FPS. Any ideas what could be happening are appreciated.

7. Post #647
    December 2013
    1,289 Posts
    Anyone know how to fix translucency ordering with particles?

The smaller puffs of smoke are supposed to be in a ring around the core of the explosion, but no matter what I change, it always draws on top. I tried changing emitter location, initial location, and even making one emitter for each puff on the ring, but I'm just not sure what to do.

8. Post #648
    diaoyudao shi ZHONGGUO de
    December 2007
    4,317 Posts
    Is it possible to make a (good) game with zero blueprints/just c++
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

9. Post #649
    August 2010
    788 Posts

The smaller puffs of smoke are supposed to be in a ring around the core of the explosion, but no matter what I change, it always draws on top. I tried changing emitter location, initial location, and even making one emitter for each puff on the ring, but I'm just not sure what to do.
    Check your transparent particle material isn't 2-sided, having that enabled can cause sorting issues.

10. Post #650
    March 2014
    3,504 Posts
    Is it possible to make a (good) game with zero c++/just blueprints
    ftfy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #651
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,269 Posts
    Blueprints have a few downsides but at the end of the day they are so convenient to use its not even funny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Waterfox Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #652
    December 2013
    1,289 Posts
    Check your transparent particle material isn't 2-sided, having that enabled can cause sorting issues.
    It's definitely not two-sided. Should I do some kind of custom depth test or stencil test on the material...?

13. Post #653
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    6,784 Posts
    Blueprints have a few downsides but at the end of the day they are so convenient to use its not even funny.
    Personally i find looking at code much more readable and "linear". Blueprints can be all over the place in my (limited) experience with visual node scripting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

14. Post #654
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,269 Posts
    Personally i find looking at code much more readable and "linear". Blueprints can be all over the place in my (limited) experience with visual node scripting.
    Blueprints can get really messy when they get bigger.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Waterfox Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #655
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    6,784 Posts
    Blueprints can get really messy when they get bigger.
    To be fair, so can code as well. You just need experience to know when you'll need to separate some logic into it's own class/whatever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #656
    March 2014
    3,504 Posts
    To be fair, so can code as well. You just need experience to know when you'll need to separate some logic into it's own class/whatever.
    Same with BP, blueprints can be cleaned up with comments, functions and macros, like so:

Here's a construction script:

The function called towards the end of the construction script:

And the two nested functions within the above function:

That's essentially a one-click blueprint of a procedural foliage volume, only for creating asteroid volumes. Creates, places, scales & rotates 20k instances made up of 6 mesh shape categories in about 1 second (can do far more, takes about 1 second for every 20k instances on average) accounting for scalable-random sizes & distances between other actors.

Now compare that to this:

Even being commented, that construction script is (a) long as fuck and (b) actually taxing on performance to have open while running it in the editor lol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

17. Post #657
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21,570 Posts
    Does anyone know how I could make the camera tilt left and right when strafing in first person? I tried just applying a relative rotation offset based on the MoveRight axis and that works, but only if I make the camera not use the control rotation but that also makes it so I can't look up or down. How do I get both?

Edited:

Nevermind, just had to tick "use controller rotation pitch" in the class defaults, it wasn't ticked already for some reason.

Edited:

Ok no that also makes the collision capsule follow the pitch of where you look which is also no good.

18. Post #658
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21,570 Posts
    Okay now I actually figured it out, I just did an offset on the control rotation instead of the camera and that works fine.

19. Post #659
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,269 Posts
    I finally got a controls menu working.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Waterfox Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #660
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,696 Posts
    Thats with the new input rebinding? Im really glad they finally added that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #661
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,269 Posts
    It actually rebinds your editor defaults, so I keep all my default controls inside a data table.

22. Post #662
    March 2014
    3,504 Posts
    I made a fun mistake while working on basebuilding destruction stuff

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #663
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,293 Posts

yay progress for my co-op farming game.
    ..Think I may have to increase the mass on the trees lmao.

The game's goal will end up something in the lines of: Defeat the rat army which grows more intelligent by time (they will steal your trees, cattle and your family)

Sounds like a great farming games yes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 9 (list)

24. Post #664
    March 2014
    3,504 Posts
    More destruction fun

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

25. Post #665
    March 2014
    3,504 Posts
    Finally got to connect all the different pieces for the basebuilding stuff I've been doing

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

26. Post #666
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,760 Posts
    The resources flying at the house is an awesome effect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

27. Post #667
    Mr
    May 2013
    65 Posts

Preliminary 3D Radar for the game I'm working on.
    Currently adds all targets in a range, allows selections, and grabs basic details.
    Planning on adding highlighting and more interaction with other game mechanics.

Edit:

Got outlining working.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

28. Post #668
    November 2007
    227 Posts

It has to do with two things, sorting based on depth, and the position that your emitters are in. I'm pretty sure if you click the right emitter (one in orange in the photo) and press the left arrow key it would go over to the left and thus draw on under the main explosion.

In Cascade the particle system's Emitters are always rendered bottom (left) to Top (Right). So things on the top always show through everything else. I'm not sure if this'll work, but you can half the number of particles spawned in the ring and duplicate that emitter. Put one on the left side of the main explosion and one on the right side of the explosion and it'll look a whole lot better. :)

Under Required in each emitter you'll see a drop down menu with a number of draw options/sort options too.

29. Post #669
    A six sided fish cube of the Flounder variety
    March 2010
    4,115 Posts
    So I'm pretty new to Unreal 4, and I'm working on creating some simple materials.

I was looking through the starter content, and noticed that for materials using bump offset, they were using a texture that looks like this to handle roughness and ambient occlusion.

Any idea how they might have generated it?

30. Post #670
    November 2007
    227 Posts
    So I'm pretty new to Unreal 4, and I'm working on creating some simple materials.

I was looking through the starter content, and noticed that for materials using bump offset, they were using a texture that looks like this to handle roughness and ambient occlusion.

Any idea how they might have generated it?
    They most likely just have the black/white textures in the RGBA channels of the texture. You can create these in photoshop. It's texture packing to save memory/draw calls.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Useful Useful x 1 (list)

31. Post #671
    A six sided fish cube of the Flounder variety
    March 2010
    4,115 Posts
    They most likely just have the black/white textures in the RGBA channels of the texture. You can create these in photoshop. It's texture packing to save memory/draw calls.
    That makes loads of sense. I'm gonna try that out, thanks!

32. Post #672
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,250 Posts
    Substance Painter/Designer has a UE4 preset that does it automatically. It's called texture packing. Not only is it cheaper, it also make handling textures less of a hassle. Having 1 file instead of 3-4 is so much easier to deal with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #673
    December 2013
    1,289 Posts
    It has to do with two things, sorting based on depth, and the position that your emitters are in. I'm pretty sure if you click the right emitter (one in orange in the photo) and press the left arrow key it would go over to the left and thus draw on under the main explosion.

In Cascade the particle system's Emitters are always rendered bottom (left) to Top (Right). So things on the top always show through everything else. I'm not sure if this'll work, but you can half the number of particles spawned in the ring and duplicate that emitter. Put one on the left side of the main explosion and one on the right side of the explosion and it'll look a whole lot better. :)

Under Required in each emitter you'll see a drop down menu with a number of draw options/sort options too.
    I tried all sorts of combinations like that and no matter where I position the emitters or how many particles I put, it always only draws based on left-to-right order, rather than sorting emitters by depth.

Thanks for the input though.

34. Post #674
    March 2014
    3,504 Posts
    Started doing proof-of-concept stuff for task-creation UI, UMG is gross.

35. Post #675
    March 2014
    3,504 Posts
    Okay cool, I got the scroll-list to remove & re-add entries when they're drag/dropped in/out of the scroll box. Seriously UMG made this ridiculously difficult, I love UE4 but this was zero fun.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #676
    July 2011
    1,401 Posts
    I'm in a UE4 game design class, intro to game design/senior level fun elective. I've diddled with UE4 before and done some simple stuff. Group I'm with wants to do a Hotline Miami clone, basically a top down shooter.

Art assets aren't that important, just don't want to swamp myself by underestimating the scope of the project.

How feasible is this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #677
    Gold Member
    April 2013
    1,353 Posts
    I'm in a UE4 game design class, intro to game design/senior level fun elective. I've diddled with UE4 before and done some simple stuff. Group I'm with wants to do a Hotline Miami clone, basically a top down shooter.

Art assets aren't that important, just don't want to swamp myself by underestimating the scope of the project.

How feasible is this?
    I guess it depends how long you have to create it, how many of you are working on it and how experienced are you.

If you are all beginners then it will take longer as you will have to discover how things work if you already have some experience it wouldn't take that long. But in my opinion it is a doable project if you give yourself enough time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

38. Post #678
    February 2017
    164 Posts
    Hi guys.

Okay, I assume this is something REALLY stupid I've done (hit a hotkey or whatever) but some brushes I select look like this....

And on others, I can "select" the whole thing, but only highlight one face at a time.

How do I switch between the two?

While I'm here, I'd also like to know why spheres are spawned like they're in 'vertex mode' or something.

Also, I swear these spheres used to be actually round and not all pointy like that.

I'm sorry I sound extremely inexperienced, I'm very new to UE4. I've only ever used Hammer and I've decided fuck it, I want something new and exciting. Also pardon my lighting, I'm learning, but I'm still in the stage where I'm moving things around and playing with them to figure it all out.

I'm slowly learning, even though this looks like ass it's the first thing I've been happy with

39. Post #679
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,269 Posts

How feasible is this?
    Its pretty feasible, but be warned doing 2D on UE4 is kind of a pain.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Waterfox Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #680
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,168 Posts
    Do we have a Discord for FP UE4? Would be useful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)