1. Post #681
    July 2011
    1,401 Posts
    Its pretty feasible, but be warned doing 2D on UE4 is kind of a pain.
    Nah we're using 3D assets, just a top down camera.

I have some experience with Source and UDK from back in the day, and can work myself around dev art in blender that can convey the idea of whats going on. I know 2D is a headache and I talked them out of that.

Edit: wow, didnt mean to start another page. Will stop posting in this thread until I have meaningful updates on what I'm making, if that's cool. Don't want to crowd up the pro's lounge with some beginner stuffs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #682
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,168 Posts
    Nah we're using 3D assets, just a top down camera.

I have some experience with Source and UDK from back in the day, and can work myself around dev art in blender that can convey the idea of whats going on. I know 2D is a headache and I talked them out of that.

Edit: wow, didnt mean to start another page. Will stop posting in this thread until I have meaningful updates on what I'm making, if that's cool. Don't want to crowd up the pro's lounge with some beginner stuffs.
    Well there's a top down UE4 template when you create a new project, that'll definitely help
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #683
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    29,473 Posts
    It's super simple to get a project going with great feeling movement and combat in UE4, your biggest difficulties will probably be in writing your AI, level design, and the game's difficulty.

Totally feasible though, I could probably have a shitty barebones Hotline: Miami clone going in an hour.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

4. Post #684
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21,570 Posts
    Is the physics handle component broken? It doesn't seem to actually attach anything, it just creates a physics handle in the specified place and then the physics handle just stays in that place. Setting any actor as the target doesn't seem to do anything at all, the handle still just stays in the spot it was created at and doesn't move with any actor.

Edited:

Wait, am I supposed to be manually setting the location of the physics handle to the actor's location every tick? Why the hell isn't there a way to just attach the handle to an actor?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #685
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    6,141 Posts
    So I have a spotlight aiming down which is set to static, the table has a lightmap resolution of 128 and the ground has a resolution of 256.

Is there something I am doing wrong which is why its looking all blocky?

6. Post #686
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,696 Posts
    Can you show us a picture of the lightmaps on the surfaces with the lightmap density view?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #687
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,250 Posts
    Yeah, check out the density - it's likely that the ground piece is really big so you're spreading that 256 across a really large area that ought to be more like 512-1024
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #688
    May 2012
    1,006 Posts
    snip

9. Post #689
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,730 Posts
    -snip-

10. Post #690

Lit 🔥 Member

February 2011
    21,365 Posts
    remove bloom, mess with hdr?

11. Post #691
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21,570 Posts
    I'm trying to do some VR motion control weapon stuff and I'm having trouble figuring out a way to stabilize hand movement to remove all the micro movements that you get from shaky hands, kinda like how some VR shooters do it when you're holding a rifle with two hands. Does anyone have any ideas on how that could be done?

12. Post #692
    I'm trying to do some VR motion control weapon stuff and I'm having trouble figuring out a way to stabilize hand movement to remove all the micro movements that you get from shaky hands, kinda like how some VR shooters do it when you're holding a rifle with two hands. Does anyone have any ideas on how that could be done?
    Save the last 2-5 positions of the hand, and placing the hand at the average of those would be the quickest way to implement such a system.
    Introduces a little bit of input lag though

13. Post #693
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21,570 Posts
    Save the last 2-5 positions of the hand, and placing the hand at the average of those would be the quickest way to implement such a system.
    Introduces a little bit of input lag though
    I ended up doing it by just having the hand model's simply going through an interp between the model's current position and the location of the controller and then added a lerp between that and just the location of the controller which I can then control the alpha of to change how much stabilization there is, it works pretty well.