1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    4,411 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    27,598 Posts
    Just finished the story yesterday.

Loved it.

Graphics are dated since there's a Japanese-exclusive PS3 port.

3. Post #3
    February 2009
    1,820 Posts
    I don't know why, but this episode really got me. Especially the part with the twirling baseball bat.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,107 Posts
    For some reason, ZP (and possibly the rest of the escapist) videos refuse to play for me. No matter what I do I just get their ~45 seconds of self-advertising.

And it happens on both my laptop, desktop, and phone.

5. Post #5
    Skate 3 glitch wizard
    September 2006
    4,117 Posts
    For some reason, ZP (and possibly the rest of the escapist) videos refuse to play for me. No matter what I do I just get their ~45 seconds of self-advertising.

And it happens on both my laptop, desktop, and phone.
    I had that happen, it was because someone somehow ran a bot/crawler on their site on my IP. Fixing it requires staff assistance. After they fix it, you have to clear the cache and it will work.

6. Post #6
    June 2013
    1,128 Posts
    Friendly reminder that this is one of the best games on the PS4 and one of the best games of both 2015 and 2017 and that you should all buy it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    February 2005
    27,598 Posts

These exist in the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

8. Post #8
    Very Jelly Despicable Douchebag
    January 2007
    13,264 Posts
    Friendly reminder that this is one of the best games on the PS4 and one of the best games of both 2015 and 2017 and that you should all buy it.
    ill buy it when they release yakuza 1 2 3 4 5 again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    June 2013
    1,566 Posts
    What confuses me now is that all of a sudden the Yakuza games are starting to get the recognition they deserve but I wonder why this particular entry compared to the other Yakuza games.

10. Post #10
    Touhou Enthusiast
    January 2011
    906 Posts
    Dunno, but I didn't know much about the Yakuza series until I stumbled upon this gif of Yakuza 0 which got me curious.

I don't have a PS3/PS4 which is a shame though. No idea if it even has an European release (probably does)

11. Post #11
    February 2005
    27,598 Posts
    A Yakuza 1 remake is coming.

Also, not sure if the older games are available in EU, but you get can the digital version of some of those titles on PSN.

Edited:

What confuses me now is that all of a sudden the Yakuza games are starting to get the recognition they deserve but I wonder why this particular entry compared to the other Yakuza games.
    Helps that Yakuza 0 and remake doesn't require a ton of knowledge about the story so far.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    28,570 Posts
    0 is a prequel and doesnt rely on any other games for story purposes, theres like 3 substories that allude to future games and a few references here and there

Edited:

Also the likelyhood of a yakuza 2 remake is pretty high, though its likely to be radically different from kiwami if it uses the rgg6 engine

13. Post #13
    April 2013
    289 Posts
    This has nothing to do with Yakuza, but Yahtzee's third novel just released yesterday if you're into that sort of thing

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    28,570 Posts
    The marketing teams changed (previous head of marketing stepped down after yakuza dead souls sold and reviewed like a dumpster fire) and sega got a deal with sony to produce the localizations, hopefully this push gives it much needed western recognition so it keeps getting localized

Edited:

Anyone whos a fan of story rich kojima-esque japanese action games should pick up 0, at 60 dollars you are getting a helluva bang for your buck with over a hundred hours of story, sidequests, progression, and challenge arena modes

Also minigames are reallllly good

Tbh im just gonna keep shilling these games because i dont think theres any other series (yearly at that) that produces such fun, engrossing, unique, and passionate games of this caliber. Theres nothing cynical about these games despite the dark storylines and gritty action, theyre a breath of fresh air in a pretty stale market
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    June 2013
    1,566 Posts
    I'm glad 'unrest' makes an appearance again in Yakuza 0.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    January 2007
    13,264 Posts
    ive wanted to play the series for god knows how long but them being near impossible to get for a good while bummed me out. but ill look into yakuza 0. atleast they seem to be on the track of remaking some of them

im a big fan of takeshi kitano's yakuza movies too so ive got hopes for these.

17. Post #17
    June 2013
    1,566 Posts
    ive wanted to play the series for god knows how long but them being near impossible to get for a good while bummed me out. but ill look into yakuza 0. atleast they seem to be on the track of remaking some of them

Yakuza 0 should be easy to get. In fact when Yakuza 0 got released last month I was surprised to find out that it sold out in some of the local gaming stores considering it's a niche series.

18. Post #18
    January 2007
    13,264 Posts
    well yeah yakuza 0 is easy enough. im talking about the 5-6 other entries in the series which are far more difficult now. atleast some of them i think.

19. Post #19
    June 2013
    1,566 Posts
    5 is digital only I think. 6 hasn't been released in the West yet.

20. Post #20
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
    November 2010
    6,155 Posts
    well yeah yakuza 0 is easy enough. im talking about the 5-6 other entries in the series which are far more difficult now. atleast some of them i think.
    If you can get 4 at least, it has very long and comprehensive recaps of the first 3 games because they're so uncommon in the west.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    May 2009
    5,350 Posts
    Didn't they just reprint them all

Edited:

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/02/13...-yakuza-games/

22. Post #22
    January 2007
    13,264 Posts
    oh damn well let me just go buy myself a PS2 and PS3 and then pay 180$ for 4 games + shipping

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    5,450 Posts
    Shame it appears to be an USA only thing though. Probably cheaper just to buy old ones after import costs :/

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,883 Posts
    oh damn well let me just go buy myself a PS2 and PS3 and then pay 180$ for 4 games + shipping
    The PS2 games emulate well. But for PS3 there's no easy way. Hopefully enough people will beg them to post the games to ps4 that they do it.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    28,570 Posts
    Used copies of 3 and 4 easily go for like 10 to 20 usd, 5 goes on sale all the time, and 1/2 can be emulated decently well

Its also likely there will be 3/4/5 hd ports on ps4 but im not holding my breath

26. Post #26
    October 2011
    776 Posts
    In that case, you should be hype for Yakuza 6 getting localized for 2018.

Edited:

Think there's any hope for Ishin getting localized?

27. Post #27
    Zet
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    3,609 Posts
    Think there's any hope for Ishin getting localized?
    It would be great if Ishin would get localized, but the chances are extremely slim. And I think it was mentioned by one of the staff that Sega has only two teams working on 6 and Kiwami localization at the moment.

If I can remember who said it, I'll find the tweet.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    28,570 Posts
    Drop hope of ishin getting localized, ive played a ton of it and barely any of it can connect with a western audience as well as it just being a spinoff making it lowpriority

That said, it has the best combat of the entire series imo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    NETID#203731
    March 2009
    12,856 Posts
    Used copies of 3 and 4 easily go for like 10 to 20 usd, 5 goes on sale all the time, and 1/2 can be emulated decently well

Its also likely there will be 3/4/5 hd ports on ps4 but im not holding my breath
    i found a copy of yakuza 3 for sale used at a gamestop for $8

30. Post #30
    February 2005
    27,598 Posts
    Drop hope of ishin getting localized, ive played a ton of it and barely any of it can connect with a western audience as well as it just being a spinoff making it lowpriority

I think HyperBitHero said Ishin has some Japanese history instilled into the plot, which is widely known throughout Japan, but Western audiences won't get it.

31. Post #31
    October 2011
    776 Posts
    Also has the best music.

Edited:

I think HyperBitHero said Ishin has some Japanese history instilled into the plot, which is widely known throughout Japan, but Western audiences won't get it.
    I don't understand this, considering that the interest in Japanese history, especially the Meiji Restoration, is high. At least, I feel so. SEGA are the publishers of Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai, which takes place in the same time period. The expansion was well-received, so it's not a long shot to say that the west is interested in their history.

32. Post #32
    June 2013
    1,128 Posts
    From what I understand Ishin actually comes with an in game glossary about Japanese history and antiquated terms for the less history savvy to use.