1. Post #1
    June 2013
    1,823 Posts
    Hello. I need suggestions.
    I wanted a tiny netbook that run Windows (not windows mobile).
    Its size should be around 5-7 inches.
    Basically windows netbook with the size of large smartphones, that I can put in my pocket.
    Is there any such netbooks?

2. Post #2
    Gold Member

April 2011
    4,417 Posts
    GPD Win ?

3. Post #3
    June 2013
    1,823 Posts
    Gpd Win looks awesome.

Is Asus Eee PC 701 4g any good?

4. Post #4
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    22,417 Posts
    you're buying a 7 year old computer

saying "any good" would be a bit much

5. Post #5
    I remember having 2 EEE PC's in storage

EEE pc is like the worst thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    June 2013
    1,823 Posts
    Can you describe how bad ASUS EEE PC is?
    Can it even play GBA emulator? Or visual novels?

7. Post #7

tbh I have no doubt since it can run GTASA/UT2005, but I can't be 100% about that

8. Post #8
    June 2013
    1,823 Posts
    Looks decent enough.
    I saw it on sale on Ebay for about 10 UK pound sterling. Is that the right price for it?

9. Post #9
    I mean for 10$ what can go wrong

worst case scenario is the harddrives dead or dying and needs replacement but (hopefully) that should be easy to replace. Battery could be dead too.

I remember tearing apart 2 EEE600's for the HDD's, part of me regrets it since aside from a dead battery it ran windows 10 finish outside not chrome not working. I could even run team viewer actually fairly decently, and thats a program that fucking eats memory.

Edited:

for emulators a raspberry pi would be likely far better if you can deal with a higher price (40-100 USD for parts etc) and a little bit of do-it-yourselfing

Explained here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jA8wYqQLBU and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCWS4Eca9fM

INSTRUCTIONS
    http://lifehacker.com/get-a-ps1-emul...i-2-1689869367

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaTU4EHNMR0

not familiar with them myself but its there and most people who want an emulation platform go here. As a warning however, while a complicated thing for some, people love it enough that it clearly pays off.

Edited:

btw for your nintendo games

https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Class...gamepad+for+pc

this controller is fucking A++ superb
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    6,662 Posts
    Toshiba, Sattelite Click mini. Wont fit in your pocket, will play 100p netflix, Fallout 1,2 Hearthstone etc.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    6,229 Posts
    I dunno if the RPi would be better for emulation honestly. It's impressive how much it achieves considering the limitations of its hardware (even compared to, say, modern smartphones) but even a laptop from the mid or late 2000's can still outdo it in a lot of cases.

That said, that EEE PC isn't just a seven year old computer, it's a seven year old computer with a seven year old Atom, so I wouldn't be too shocked if the RPi did actually turn out to be better.

Regardless I'd totally buy that Atom for $10 tho. Worst case scenario I slap Linux or BSD on it and use it as a terminal to ssh into my other computers

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,601 Posts
    EEE PC is unbearably slow IMO unless your putting something like Xubuntu or lighter on it

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    19,248 Posts
    Laptops THAT small are a very niche market:
    https://liliputing.com/2017/02/gpd-p...wdfunding.html

14. Post #14
    It's a boomer! Watch out!
    March 2009
    1,565 Posts
    What about a windows tablet? I have one of thees http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...tablet_-_black and its pretty good for the price. 2gb ram and intel atom will be fine for emulators and most 2d games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,601 Posts
    HP Stream 7 is another cheap option similar to the above

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    1,324 Posts
    GPD Pocket might interest you if you are ok with waiting until summer. eMMC storage sucks but it is not like there is a lot of devices to choose from.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    27,989 Posts
    I feel like you'd be hard-pressed to find anything that couldn't do GBA emulation. My 7 year old Samsung Galaxy S1 could do PS1 emulation. My 9 year old Gateway laptop with a Pentium T3200 can do PS1 emulation.

Edited:

for emulators a raspberry pi would be likely far better if you can deal with a higher price (40-100 USD for parts etc) and a little bit of do-it-yourselfing
    I dunno if the RPi would be better for emulation honestly. It's impressive how much it achieves considering the limitations of its hardware (even compared to, say, modern smartphones) but even a laptop from the mid or late 2000's can still outdo it in a lot of cases.
    The RPi is good for emulation, but the only problem is that OP wants something portable that he can stick in his pocket, presumably as a sort of pocket gaming device. That rules the RPi right out unless he goes for a custom build with his own enclosure, his own screen, and his own power supply. And even then it's not exactly portable.

18. Post #18
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    11,458 Posts
    I feel like you'd be hard-pressed to find anything that couldn't do GBA emulation. My 7 year old Samsung Galaxy S1 could do PS1 emulation. My 9 year old Gateway laptop with a Pentium T3200 can do PS1 emulation.
    My HTC Eris could emulate GBA fairly well 7 years ago. Single core ARM11, 528 Mhz, without floating point capabilities with all the overhead of Android 2.1.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    27,989 Posts
    Honestly OP, I get the impression that you want more of a pocket gaming device than an actual laptop. I could be wrong though, so just ignore this if it doesn't apply to you.

For gaming, you might honestly be better off finding a phone that's a couple years old and sticking RetroArch on it. Controls might be awkward because of the touch screen but there's a great library of GBA games that don't require reflexes where it could work. I even managed to beat Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow on a phone touch screen so it's definitely doable.

Again, if you need desktop games or apps ignore me, but if you just want a pocket emulation machine you wouldn't go wrong by just getting a decent smartphone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)