1. Post #1

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,326 Posts
    You can get an RX480 for $180 on Newegg. That's an excellent price. I can't wait for Ryzen to come out.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    3,000 Posts
    Wait for Ryzen

4. Post #4
    July 2013
    1,561 Posts
    Wait for Ryzen
    Isn't Ryzen a CPU-only architecture..?

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,326 Posts
    Isn't Ryzen a CPU-only architecture..?
    I think he means wait for Ryzen before you build a gaming PC because Ryzen will probably have a better cost to performance ratio than Skylake.

Or possibly he's referring to the Vega GPU? If you're looking for a high-end GPU then yeah wait for Vega or go GTX but in terms of mid-range GPUs the RX480 is great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    October 2016
    1,559 Posts
    Wait for Ryzen
    Anyone who doesn't wait a measly month or so before building a new computer because that's when the competition releases their stuff is probably not the kind of person who bothers looking outside of their own fanboy ass for stuff anyway. Even if you /know/ that Intel had the objectively most powerful CPU vs AMD's FX series when those came out, it's still doing your self a huge disservice to not look into their products at least a little. Same goes for anything really I suppose.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) rip $5
    Dennab
    December 2009
    9,224 Posts
    kinda crazy that they have to drop their price even more to compete with nvidia, even though their cards are better.

8. Post #8
    April 2011
    629 Posts
    kinda crazy that they have to drop their price even more to compete with nvidia, even though their cards are better.
    that's circumstantial

9. Post #9
    October 2016
    1,559 Posts
    It's because they're probably A. about to announce more on Vega or B. there's still this stupid fanboy brand loyalty to Nvidia, which is weird because Nvidia has been shitting the bed a lot with their drivers and stuff the last few years. Especially everything relating to Geforce Experience. Their name is just so associated with "literally the best" that it's hard to dislodge from it. AMD's cards are strictly better 100%, but for their price they're a much better value compared to the differences in price and performance gain of Nvidia products by price.

That and Nvidia has pretty anti-competitive practices with some of their technology that makes it run absolutely horribly on AMD cards. Or that time they were caught paying Devs for timed exclusivity for driver optimisation... AMD gets the raw end of the deal pretty often, even if their last few years have been rough hardware performance wise too in some cases.

If AMD can sweep the mid and low budget market out from under Intel and Nvidia with even their best cards being affordable to mid budget builders, you're going to see a very large share of the market disappear from Nvidia and Intel's feet. This is especially true for OEM builders and shit. There's a reason AMD won the bid for the latest gen consoles, they met the sweet spot between demand and price that Intel and Nvidia won't do.

PC parts are weird in that sense because people don't do so much research despite doing so much research. People flock to buying Corsair ram for inflated ass prices when there's ram that's as good or better for cheaper. They want RGBs and "cool designs" from their loyal brand over better products more often than not. It's weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    25,511 Posts
    So basically for less than a GTX 1080, you can get a CPU with i7 performance, a video card that's slightly better than a GTX 1060, and have money to spare for 16GB of RAM and Motherboard

Dayum
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    October 2016
    1,559 Posts
    So basically for less than a GTX 1080, you can get a CPU with i7 performance, a video card that's slightly better than a GTX 1060, and have money to spare for 16GB of RAM and Motherboard

Dayum
    Not to mention the 480 will fare better than the 1060 at above 1080p resolutions because it has 8gb of video memory while the 1060 has either 3gb or 6gb depending on which version you get.

12. Post #12
    March 2006
    8 Posts
    I dont really understand how this works. If the RX 480 is a newer card, why is it below older cards, like the R9 Fury X, on the benchmarks?
    http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/K7d...V4g-650-80.png
    I have an R9 290x right now, and its been seeing its limits for some time so I'm looking for an upgrade. I'm sure The fact that my card isn't even on this benchmark shows just how old it is.
    So would the RX 480 be doubling my performance at this point?

13. Post #13
    Gold Member

April 2011
    4,845 Posts
    I dont really understand how this works. If the RX 480 is a newer card, why is it below older cards, like the R9 Fury X, on the benchmarks?
    http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/K7d...V4g-650-80.png
    I have an R9 290x right now, and its been seeing its limits for some time so I'm looking for an upgrade. I'm sure The fact that my card isn't even on this benchmark shows just how old it is.
    So would the RX 480 be doubling my performance at this point?
    RX 480 is a new cheap "budget" card, while R9 290x and R9 Fury X are older, but were expensive "high-end" cards when launched. It wouldn't be much of an upgrade.

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index...radeon-r9-290x
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    3,174 Posts

Dayum
    I would also add an SSD (I just can't use Windows without one), and 32 GB of RAM (it's useful, you often only buy it once) if the budget allows it.

Bear in mind that I bought 32 GB of RAM during Brexit when it was cheap as hell, and now the prices skyrocketed, so 16 GB of RAM might have to do if you are tight on cash.

I was actually going to get 16 GB of RAM on my 2009 system, when I had the money for it, but everyone said that it was SOOO pointless, yeah look where I am now, I actually could have used that memory because what do you know, software got more intensive over time and 4 GB of RAM sure as hell isn't enough, it wasn't enough back in the day for me with Photoshop, I wish I had been more insistent but whatever now.

Edit: I didn't mean to say that you should prioritize RAM, I worded this post poorly, but if you have money left to waste sure whatever, otherwise get a better GPU or CPU instead.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    17,783 Posts
    I would also add an SSD (I just can't use Windows without one), and 32 GB of RAM (it's useful, you often only buy it once) if the budget allows it.

Bear in mind that I bought 32 GB of RAM during Brexit when it was cheap as hell, and now the prices skyrocketed, so 16 GB of RAM might have to do if you are tight on cash.

I was actually going to get 16 GB of RAM on my 2009 system, when I had the money for it, but everyone said that it was SOOO pointless, yeah look where I am now, I actually could have used that memory because what do you know, software got more intensive over time and 4 GB of RAM sure as hell isn't enough, it wasn't enough back in the day for me with Photoshop, I wish I had been more insistent but whatever now.
    4GB back in 2009 was definitely enough for gaming (and only fairly recently you really started to need more than that, and definitely not for all games), and it's not like it's hard to upgrade your RAM later on? Yeah it's fine to get a bit more RAM for a rainy day, but if it impacts what other components you can buy it's not worth it - the cost of a processor upgrade is way more than just adding another stick. Since you're talking about getting 4GB of RAM initially as a problem, I'm gonna assume your build only had two RAM slots anyway, meaning you were probably on a budget.

Edit: Looking bad at an old thread you made, buying 16GB of DDR2 (which is what your motherboard would've supported max) back then would've probably cost you almost as much as your CPU. In that case you could've gone for an i7 920 back in '09 instead of a Q9400 with money left over to buy 8GB of DDR3 instead. I suppose that's all in the past now, but I think it's pretty bad advice to say people should prioritise RAM in general.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    March 2006
    8 Posts
    RX 480 is a new cheap "budget" card, while R9 290x and R9 Fury X are older, but were expensive "high-end" cards when launched. It wouldn't be much of an upgrade.

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index...radeon-r9-290x
    Going off of that website, it says even the R9 Fury X is only slightly better than my 290x. Is there not a new card that will really boost my performance?

17. Post #17
    September 2013
    18,644 Posts
    RAM is piss easy to upgrade and 99.99% of people do not need 32gb

18. Post #18
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) rip $5
    Dennab
    December 2009
    9,224 Posts
    Going off of that website, it says even the R9 Fury X is only slightly better than my 290x. Is there not a new card that will really boost my performance?
    GTX 1070, 1080, and the upcoming AMD vega cards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    3,174 Posts
    4GB back in 2009 was definitely enough for gaming (and only fairly recently you really started to need more than that, and definitely not for all games), and it's not like it's hard to upgrade your RAM later on? Yeah it's fine to get a bit more RAM for a rainy day, but if it impacts what other components you can buy it's not worth it - the cost of a processor upgrade is way more than just adding another stick. Since you're talking about getting 4GB of RAM initially as a problem, I'm gonna assume your build only had two RAM slots anyway, meaning you were probably on a budget.

Edit: Looking bad at an old thread you made, buying 16GB of DDR2 (which is what your motherboard would've supported max) back then would've probably cost you almost as much as your CPU. In that case you could've gone for an i7 920 back in '09 instead of a Q9400 with money left over to buy 8GB of DDR3 instead. I suppose that's all in the past now, but I think it's pretty bad advice to say people should prioritise RAM in general.
    Yeah I know, but at the time I really needed more than 4 GB, and when I used to live in Italy it wasn't that big of a deal seeing as me and my parents saved some money for a good system, I was actually hoping to get 8 GB at the time, even 6 GB would've been fine but nowdays in Romania I can't afford to buy such a system, the thing is I still use this 2009 PC which is why I would've liked to buy the extra RAM when I had the money for it, the living conditions in Romania are far worse and it really sucks to be limited to 4 GB when in hindsight I knew that I wouldn't be able to afford it in the future.

I understand that my logic might not sound too solid, but it mostly comes down to the specific circumstance I was in, and I don't want to get into too many details about that. The idea is that I had the money for it back then, and I knew our living conditions would soon change when we would move back to Romania. It's a long story and I ommited a ton of details, otherwise my post would make a bit more sense.

I think 16 GB is probably fine now days, but if you have the money and if your build is solid then I would say go for it. I don't think you should buy 32 GB of RAM if your CPU or GPU are far worse, only if you have a good build already. Bear in mind that my build was 600 - 700$ I think, and I'm really happy with my system, RAM has gotten stupid expensive now though, when I bought my 32 GB of RAM it was cheap as hell. I paid like 100$ I think, not that cheap but it was okay. I used up to 24 GB so far in one go, so it wasn't a waste.

Oh and bear in mind I didn't make that 2009 PC myself, I wanted to make my own custom build but my dad instead had someone else build it, so the prices were most likely overpriced. I know I sound like a dumbass but, it's a bit of a clusterfuck.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,329 Posts
    I think 16 GB is probably fine now days, but if you have the money and if your build is solid then I would say go for it. I don't think you should buy 32 GB of RAM if your CPU or GPU are far worse, only if you have a good build already. Bear in mind that my build was 600 - 700$ I think, and I'm really happy with my system, RAM has gotten stupid expensive now though, when I bought my 32 GB of RAM it was cheap as hell. I paid like 100$ I think, not that cheap but it was okay. I used up to 24 GB so far in one go, so it wasn't a waste.
    16 GiB of RAM is way plenty for virtually everyone, the only time you're going to need more is if you do video or photo editing (which we both do, most do not).

Edited:

It's just a waste, on modern DDR4 that doubles the price, just drop that into a NVMe drive or anything else that'll make an actual difference.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    3,174 Posts
    16 GiB of RAM is way plenty for virtually everyone, the only time you're going to need more is if you do video or photo editing (which we both do, most do not).

Edited:

It's just a waste, on modern DDR4 that doubles the price, just drop that into a NVMe drive or anything else that'll make an actual difference.
    It's not just for video editing but for more things, but yeah I forgot to say that the average gamer at the moment won't get much use out of 32 GB of RAM, it is a bit of a waste.

But again I bought this RAM before the price increase, I would stay away from 32 GB nowdays, I just got a bit lucky. If I had to pay 200$ on 32 GB it would be pretty stupid for a gaming build only, but I suggest considering your current financial status, it mostly came down to that for me. Again when I bought it, it wasn't as expensive as it used to be, this price increase is fairly recent from what I've seen.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    10,821 Posts
    Not to mention the 480 will fare better than the 1060 at above 1080p resolutions because it has 8gb of video memory while the 1060 has either 3gb or 6gb depending on which version you get.
    the 3GB 1060 is also overall slower compared to the 6GB model
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    June 2007
    688 Posts

Edited:

The only time 32 GB of RAM is a good idea for gaming is if you are playing literally one game in particular: ARK. ARK would cause total system failure from hitting the addressable end of 16 GB of RAM and somehow Windows 10 does not properly handle page files.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    13,633 Posts
    16 GiB of RAM is way plenty for virtually everyone that does not play Space Engineers, the only time you're going to need more is if you do video or photo editing (which we both do, most do not).

Edited:

Fixed that for you.

I contemplate buying another 16gb when I think about my performance.

Load times are getting long too, I feel like I need more RAM