1. Post #121
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    7,073 Posts
    Got my Z70 today with Gateron Greens, it's not that bad to type on but it needs new feet really badly, they're unstable which makes it uneven, I just pulled the feet off for now and I am typing with it on my lap. The cable is also really short which is quite an annoyance.
    Can't you just play Russian style with it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #122
    BEST HL2RP SCHEMA
    November 2010
    1,816 Posts
    Can't you just play Russian style with it?
    I tried it but it was relatively uncomfortable given the unusual layout and the unevenness of the surface when I'm playing Russian. I'll just give it a little bit of love and it'll all be fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #123
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    4,037 Posts
    I tried it but it was relatively uncomfortable given the unusual layout and the unevenness of the surface when I'm playing Russian. I'll just give it a little bit of love and it'll all be fine.
    https://www.amazon.com/Self-adhesive.../dp/B001JASGH4
    https://www.amazon.com/Shintop-Self-...=anti+slip+pad

idk about the second option but you can just replace em with bumpons?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #124
    BEST HL2RP SCHEMA
    November 2010
    1,816 Posts
    That was my idea actually, there's plenty of things that fall under "antislip adhesive rubber pads" on Amazon, haven't picked anything up yet because there's no reason for me to do so until I get the cable as well.

5. Post #125
    Gold Member
    December 2011
    2,219 Posts
    Finally got the right tool from aliexpress to open up my model ms

Now for cleaning off the 20yo crap that's in there and do some mods like changing the led color

6. Post #126
    September 2013
    17,764 Posts
    My Model F was held together by like 2 flatheads

7. Post #127
    Gold Member
    December 2011
    2,219 Posts
    Problem was that the holes where the bolts are sunk in are really deep and slim and we didn't have a tool for that in our neighborhood

8. Post #128
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    7,073 Posts
    Problem was that the holes where the bolts are sunk in are really deep and slim and we didn't have a tool for that in our neighborhood
    That's called a screwdriver.

You can buy them at a hardware store.

Very useful.

also pls no abuse model m, it did nothing wrong. if you want to abuse a buckling spring board then pls buy a unicomp and defile that instead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #129
    Gold Member
    December 2011
    2,219 Posts
    Screwdriver are the ones with the cross or the line at the tip:P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #130
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    7,073 Posts
    Screwdriver are the ones with the cross or the line at the tip:P
    if that is the extent of your screwdriver experience then you are in for some great enlightenment
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #131
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,569 Posts
    That's called a screwdriver.

You can buy them at a hardware store.

Very useful.

also pls no abuse model m, it did nothing wrong. if you want to abuse a buckling spring board then pls buy a unicomp and defile that instead.
    Most model m boards have hex bolts not regular screws my dude

the hole is too small for regular sockets
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #132
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
    November 2010
    6,088 Posts
    Most model m boards have hex bolts not regular screws my dude

the hole is too small for regular sockets
    You can use a flathead with hex bolts, and hex screwdrivers are a pretty common thing.

13. Post #133
    Resident Raccoon
    January 2008
    10,010 Posts
    This is why I keep buying screwdriver sets, they always have some problem
    Have a really nice proper set that's too big to get into fiddly places
    A precision set that's too small for a lot of things
    A nice ratcheting handle + bit set that's the perfect size and variety, but the bits are too short

Now I'm looking for a set of bits with really long heads so I can just use the handle
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #134
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    4,037 Posts
    Impulse bought GMK Penumba

In other news, I may give away my Magicforce /w Outemu blacks since I don't really use it much. I'll probably arrange a giveaway on here at some point for it and maybe a bonus or two.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #135
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,736 Posts
    Any recommendations on a mechanical bluetooth keyboard without a numpad? Preferably brown or white switches, preferably US layout.

16. Post #136
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    4,037 Posts
    Any recommendations on a mechanical bluetooth keyboard without a numpad? Preferably brown or white switches, preferably US layout.
    ANNE Pro.

17. Post #137
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,736 Posts
    Oh man. That's surprisingly good and at a reasonable price for that stuff. I'm not gonna use it for gaming though, and the flashy lights are very unnecesary for me. But why not, right?
    Definitely my #1 pick right now, thank you! One question though, I couldn't see anywhere if it works for Mac. Keyboards are pretty much universal though, no?

18. Post #138
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    4,037 Posts
    Oh man. That's surprisingly good and at a reasonable price for that stuff. I'm not gonna use it for gaming though, and the flashy lights are very unnecesary for me. But why not, right?
    Definitely my #1 pick right now, thank you! One question though, I couldn't see anywhere if it works for Mac. Keyboards are pretty much universal though, no?
    Afaik it supports mac as well. Though if you don't like the LED's you can just turn em off.

19. Post #139
    Gold Member
    December 2011
    2,219 Posts
    What is the cheapest way to get the anne shipped again?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #140
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    22,771 Posts
    Impulse bought GMK Penumba

In other news, I may give away my Magicforce /w Outemu blacks since I don't really use it much. I'll probably arrange a giveaway on here at some point for it and maybe a bonus or two.
    I really want a GMK key but I never like the ones that are on Massdrop.

21. Post #141
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    4,037 Posts
    I really want a GMK key but I never like the ones that are on Massdrop.
    https://www.originativeco.com/

Also take a look at GMK Burgundy https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87995.0

22. Post #142
    PLEASE DON'T EAT ME!
    June 2009
    3,242 Posts
    I picked up a Corsair K70 Rapidfire today and I have to admit. I really like the MX Speeds a lot. I tried Blue, Red, Brown, Green, Black, and Clear but I tried the K70 at MicroCenter and I really like the super short key travel amount. I'd recommend it.

23. Post #143
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    22,771 Posts
    Originative sometimes has GMK sets I want but never when I have money. They had some white and orange set that was pretty neat o but it's gone now.

24. Post #144
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,736 Posts
    Afaik it supports mac as well. Though if you don't like the LED's you can just turn em off.
    True. It's more about paying for something you don't need, but I guess they can't add that much to the price in the end.

What is the cheapest way to get the anne shipped again?
    I would love to know this too!

25. Post #145
    Secure, Contain, Protect.
    October 2008
    8,954 Posts
    Probably banggood, I've never ordered from there but I know a lot of people get their MK accessories from there.

As an aside, I've sold over a dozen keyboards and I've never had trouble selling like I am with this 60%. Are people just not buying right now or something? Half of the boards I've sold were gone within a day.

I feel like I should post it on GH but I don't have enough posts to make a classifieds listing :/

26. Post #146
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    4,037 Posts
    Amazing Chocolatier finally in MD's warehouse. Looking forward to it next week or whatever, first SA set.

27. Post #147
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    2,774 Posts
    Ducky Shine 4 died on me after 1.5 years. Got a Shine 6.

We'll have to see if buying the same brand was a good idea.

28. Post #148
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,161 Posts
    Finally got my plum 84 topre clone and I'm really pleased, got to compare it to a friends novatouch (I know, perhaps not the most fair comparison). The plum being only 35g felt a lot lighter ofc, but the difference between the two was smaller than I anticipated

29. Post #149
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    4,037 Posts
    Finally got my plum 84 topre clone and I'm really pleased, got to compare it to a friends novatouch (I know, perhaps not the most fair comparison). The plum being only 35g felt a lot lighter ofc, but the difference between the two was smaller than I anticipated
    One of the biggest differences between the different weighted domes is how crisp and defined the thock is.

30. Post #150
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,161 Posts
    One of the biggest differences between the different weighted domes is how crisp and defined the thock is.
    I can imagine, been thinking about getting a new dome sheet too. Also kinda want to find/make a case for it. Didn't find any obvious 75% 84 key cases when googling

31. Post #151
    October 2008
    8,954 Posts
    If anyone is looking for random keycaps or anything, check out my new post on r/mm. Decided I have too much useless stuff and need to get rid of it.

Also, does anyone here have experience soldering LEDs? I need to get thinner solder to work on mine and was wondering what thickness people use for LEDs.

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    December 2011
    2,219 Posts
    Uh I just soldered new blue leds on my model m using normal .56mm pb38sn60cu2
    Make sure to get the resistors right though, I just went without for now and it's super bright - I guess modern boards have them already though

Edited:

That is just throughhole stuff, no idea about smd

33. Post #153
    October 2008
    8,954 Posts
    It's not SMD, thankfully those were presoldered in a color I like, just throughhole. My problem is the solder i have is like, 1mm diameter or more. I only need a small spool but amazon only sells huge spools of Kester

34. Post #154
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    4,037 Posts
    If anyone is looking for random keycaps or anything, check out my new post on r/mm. Decided I have too much useless stuff and need to get rid of it.

Also, does anyone here have experience soldering LEDs? I need to get thinner solder to work on mine and was wondering what thickness people use for LEDs.
    Those switches you have in your poker sound heavenly to type on, though I'd probably prefer something around 50g as opposed to 35g personally speaking. Right now I'm trying to get a TX87.

35. Post #155
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    7,073 Posts
    Does anyone here know of someone/somewhere selling MX Lock switches?

I'm considering getting some.

36. Post #156
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    4,037 Posts
    Does anyone here know of someone/somewhere selling MX Lock switches?

I'm considering getting some.
    https://www.mechanicalkeyboards.co.i...ng-plate-mount

When they are in stock. Otherwise they're a bit harder to get a hold of. There were group buys for em at around $6 a pop just for reference.

37. Post #157
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    7,073 Posts
    Wait they're still being manufactured?

I thought that the last of them were purchased from Cherry/distributors about 3 years ago, so they were only really available second hand.

38. Post #158
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    4,037 Posts
    Wait they're still being manufactured?

I thought that the last of them were purchased from Cherry/distributors about 3 years ago, so they were only really available second hand.
    They stopped production two years ago. By "in stock" I meant when they manage to get another cache of them or something. Good luck on the second hand market though

39. Post #159
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    4,037 Posts

Finally...

40. Post #160
    October 2008
    8,954 Posts
    Those switches you have in your poker sound heavenly to type on, though I'd probably prefer something around 50g as opposed to 35g personally speaking. Right now I'm trying to get a TX87.
    They are amazing. By far the best switch I have in my possession but unfortunately the Lightsaver is where my heart resides :(

Speaking of, I finally fixed the LEDs!
    Had to jump some lifted pads, but all the LEDs are functioning correctly now! There is a slight problem where my keys are actually hitting the tops of the LEDs rather than bottoming out (about .5mm above where they would normally bottom out, resulting in some weird feel, but it's fine so far, if it really starts to bother me I'll probably just end up shaving them. Does anyone know how to shave the top off an LED?

unfortunately, my phone fucking blows at low-light