1. Post #2241
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,844 Posts
    Hmmm... is your chrome up to date? That's the only thing I can think of right now.
    Yep, version 62.0.3202.94 (64-bit)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2242
    Zyx
    Guest 3855 is lost and can't find the park exit
    February 2005
    2,607 Posts
    For a few hours I couldn't figure out why the vertices shared between 2 bones wouldn't be correctly transformed. No matter how many adjustments I made the joints would be all fucked.

Like so:

Then I realized why....
    The GPU was expecting "Index, Index, Weight, Weight", but I was sending "Index, Weight, Index, Weight"

So now it works:

Does anyone know where I can get a fully rigged and animated mesh I could experiment with?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

3. Post #2243
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,841 Posts
    Yes, using Vulkan over OpenGL/DirectX is absolutely the right thing to do when making engines/games. But I just want to make silly stuff with GLSL, so all I need is a way to draw two triangles and apply a shader to them with the least amount of boilerplate code, which is why I will stick to OpenGL for now and probably a long time.
    Any sufficiently complicated (read: high performing) OpenGL engine is gonna port almost 1:1 to Vulkan anyways, aside from the pipeline state objects.

Edited:

There's one fast path, and it's the set of OpenGL calls that are basically directly equivalent to what you would do in Vulkan (sans command lists, sorta; if you went full AZDO you'd essentially be emulating it with indirect draws).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

4. Post #2244
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,844 Posts
    For a few hours I couldn't figure out why the vertices shared between 2 bones wouldn't be correctly transformed. No matter how many adjustments I made the joints would be all fucked.

Like so:

Then I realized why....
    The GPU was expecting "Index, Index, Weight, Weight", but I was sending "Index, Weight, Index, Weight"

So now it works:

Does anyone know where I can get a fully rigged and animated mesh I could experiment with?
    What format? If you support mdl just grab any from any source engine game.

5. Post #2245
    Zyx
    Guest 3855 is lost and can't find the park exit
    February 2005
    2,607 Posts
    What format? If you support mdl just grab any from any source engine game.
    While it would be cool, I feel like the mdl format has way too much fluff in it that I won't be using for a very long time.
    Instead, right now I export to smd files (The source engine format) and then export that to my own easily readable format and use that.

6. Post #2246
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,844 Posts
    But couldn't you still use one of their assets, and using blender or some other modeling software, convert it into a format you can use or even export it to your own format?

7. Post #2247
    Hi.
    July 2011
    5,257 Posts
    What's a top-down 2D art style that is on the easier side to produce for someone that is artistically challenged? I can't afford an artist atm.

I guess low pixel count art?

8. Post #2248

October 2017
    8 Posts
    What's a top-down 2D art style that is on the easier side to produce for someone that is artistically challenged? I can't afford an artist atm.

I guess low pixel count art?
    Yeah, I'd go for minimalist art with a limited color pallette. You could also try low poly 3d modeling, although that's a bit harder than placing pixels on a grid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #2249
    www.bff-hab.de
    May 2006
    3,291 Posts

Dithering is so hilariously easy to implement yet so very powerful!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

10. Post #2250
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    3,343 Posts

Dithering is so hilariously easy to implement yet so very powerful!
    It's such an easy and cheap thing to implement, and it does such a big difference.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

11. Post #2251
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    455 Posts
    I did not expect this to work at all...

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #2252
    www.bff-hab.de
    May 2006
    3,291 Posts

Future Floppy

Kind of gave up half way through, I didn't want to spend more time on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

13. Post #2253
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    9,268 Posts
    how the fuck does the following happen:

1. the creation of a chain of inheritance that results in 200+ member variables
    2. the calling of derived class functions in a base class constructor using C-style casts on *this to the derived class
    3. 1700+ line constructors

I feel like all I do is gripe anymore - but jesus christ, it feels like there's so much entirely justified griping to do. Most of my day thus far has been reducing function size (especially those goddamn constructors) and reducing variable count, and both exercises have been a tremendous frustration. And both have been exhausting.

One 1000+ line constructor down to 100 lines (still, bad), only about 7 more to go!

14. Post #2254

March 2005
    480 Posts
    What does this class hierarchy have to do that it needs this kind of logic and complexity?

15. Post #2255
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    1,093 Posts
    I did not expect this to work at all...

Didn't even know C-Sharp allows you to fuck with pointers like that

16. Post #2256
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    455 Posts
    Didn't even know C-Sharp allows you to fuck with pointers like that
    Look into the unsafe switch and be wowzered.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...eywords/unsafe

17. Post #2257
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    9,268 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

18. Post #2258
    Gold Member

August 2005
    64 Posts
    Been messing with the UE4 particle editor a lot lately--it's pretty amazing. I'm not really good at art but I whipped up a little "main menu" for an RPG I'm working on.

Hopefully I'll have some actual gameplay stuff to show soon, too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

19. Post #2259
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,249 Posts
    Some guy forked my ECS repo and has made a commit, which is really cool. Unfortunately it's before I've finished my update to C++17. So now I have to work on updating to C++17.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

20. Post #2260
    June 2013
    7 Posts
    Working on a game based on real rocket factories like spacex, using unity and some placeholder assets

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Winner Winner x 12Programming King Programming King x 3 (list)

21. Post #2261
    Gold Member
    August 2014
    735 Posts
    Working on a game based on real rocket factories like spacex, using unity and some placeholder assets

You better finish this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

22. Post #2262
    June 2013
    7 Posts
    If you liked that image here's a falcon 9 made from rocket parts

I'm still finishing some important mechanics for the game, currently working on workshops where engineers assembly multiple engines
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

23. Post #2263
    May 2012
    1,050 Posts
    I made a software 3D renderer from scratch for a class project.

I spent a lot of time trying to get my triangle renderer to draw edges just right only for it to be all fucked up by z-buffer inaccuracies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Programming King Programming King x 10Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #2264
    November 2017
    31 Posts
    Working on a GMOD save for a YouTube video. POSTAL (game) centered, I kinda make a mock out of a certain other game...

I just hope my editor will render my video for once...   

@above Nice, reminds me of the PS1 (all the pixels and what)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Firefox Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Programming King Programming King x 2 (list)

25. Post #2265
    May 2009
    240 Posts
    I made a software 3D renderer from scratch for a class project.

I spent a lot of time trying to get my triangle renderer to draw edges just right only for it to be all fucked up by z-buffer inaccuracies.
    How is the performance, and how precise is the z-buffer?

26. Post #2266
    Hi.
    July 2011
    5,257 Posts
    Isometric is proving to be a huge pain in the ass. I wanted the front wall to be semi-transparent, but only after the fact did I realize they would overlap each other.

27. Post #2267
    Facepunch Staff
    March 2010
    2,864 Posts
    Have a different wall sprite for the ones in the middle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

28. Post #2268
    December 2005
    723 Posts
    Isometric is proving to be a huge pain in the ass. I wanted the front wall to be semi-transparent, but only after the fact did I realize they would overlap each other.

Ah, what's happening here is something called alpha blending.
    Don't know what you are making it in but some shader fuckery is required.

Here's my go-to for Unity.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SL-Blend.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #2269
    Hi.
    July 2011
    5,257 Posts
    Using a shader sounds all well and good but layla is a fucking genius.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #2270
    Facepunch Staff
    March 2010
    2,864 Posts
    keep it simple sexy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Friendly Friendly x 9Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #2271
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    9,268 Posts
    the C++ standard sometimes does really dumb things: like how std::stod or std::stoi work. They only take string references, nothing else, and if fed a string_view it will perform a copy of the subrange (the const char*) you provided, stuffing it into a fresh new std::string. despite the fact that I don't perform a single copy, 95%+ of the inclusive samples in my last profiling run were lost to memcpy being used to copy new strings every single time I called a function to convert a string segment into a number (4 times per one of the 35,000 lines read). I don't even read line-by-line using the conventional std::getline- I manually advance the beginning of the single string_view object I create in the loop. So I see why things got slow now. Replacing the C++ functions with the old C functions means my whole file imports in a few seconds at worse, versus the 1min+ (even in release) it previously took

What frustrates me is that there's no overload implemented for string_view, when it would be so trivial to add (as far as I can tell, to be fair) and would encourage people to actually use string_view (which works great, when it works)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)