1. Post #1441
    I'm Better Than You
    August 2008
    7,560 Posts

shite video sorry, pulled an all nighter and managed moving the hand around with poor acceleration in Black & White with my irl hand

could probably easily make it completely VR if it wasn't using DX7, I'll have to wrap the calls and translate them to DX9 or something, could be fun to be a literal god.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 5Winner Winner x 2 (list)

2. Post #1442

May 2016
    132 Posts
    Life hit me and I've been pretty busy doing other things, but I managed to sneak in some time to do some engine work.

I want it to be easy for a level designer to make world geometry / "brushes" really quickly.
    I made a thing where the user drags 2 points to create an AABB. The 3D cursor intersects with the chosen axis waffle grids, and can snap to the closest intersection from the camera.
    If using more than 1 axis, an entire block can be drawn by snaking the mouse from 1 plane to another.

It isn't perfect, but the logic isn't too messy at least, with the exception being the face-dragging stuff.
    That's very cool, I wanna look into CSG brushes as well for a thing - I started out making games with purely brush based level editors and it's one of the things that I really missed in Unity when I used it for the first time.

3. Post #1443
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    3,483 Posts
    Just got my The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup in the mail.

Side note, does anyone else have issues falling asleep while reading? Pretty much happens immediately for me and I have to really fend it off no matter what material I try to read.
    Yup. Kindle Paperwhite is a surefire way to get me to go to sleep.

I think it's because I always read on the couch.

4. Post #1444
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    358 Posts

shite video sorry, pulled an all nighter and managed moving the hand around with poor acceleration in Black & White with my irl hand

could probably easily make it completely VR if it wasn't using DX7, I'll have to wrap the calls and translate them to DX9 or something, could be fun to be a literal god.
    Maybe instead of rolling a custom DX7->DX9 wrapper you could use something like this https://fdossena.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag which convert the DX calls to opengl and then work from there ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #1445
    Gold Member

September 2007
    3,160 Posts
    I finally got bitmap loading working

took me 2 days of confusion but at least I got 32x32 of pixels out of it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

6. Post #1446
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    2,664 Posts
    I'm officially ill as fuck again which means I'll be around for a while making random stuff to pass the time until a doctor can figure out what's wrong with me. Luckily this time I'm still able to do programming

I found the 2d platformer I was making to be a bit dry. The actual fun of the game would be from whizzing around at high speed, but in 2d its difficult to make a game thats fun - while something like speedrunners is an option, I didn't really like speedrunners. This made me realise that there's actually very few 2d platformers that I enjoy playing at all, even something like hollow knight leaves me feeling a tad disappointed

But I had a pretty nifty physics thing going on, I actually understand what's going on this time. So, the logical next step was to make an everything simulator!

Solids are not really that... solid at the moment. Its difficult to set up the constraints correctly so that force from the top compresses the structure as a whole slightly rather than shattering the entire thing bottom up. So its more like fluid with some long range elements to it

But its meant to be a game not a proper simulator, so it doesn't matter too much luckily. I was always a big fan of chemistry, but real chemistry is simply absurd (not to mention the computation cost of MO simulation), so the idea is a simplified simulator with specific goals

7. Post #1447
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    8,827 Posts
    So while I'm proud of my work on the application proper at work and find it generally satisfying, good god GUI design and programming can die in a hole. I'm using Qt (wish I could just bend ImGui to my will tbh, and still might) which is totally a mixed bag because on one hand there's lots of useful functionality but there's lots of nasty MOC stuff required to use Qt. Not to mention how gross binding the several dozen tweakable parameters present has been, either.

On a better note, I've got two potential job offers for this fall (at my current place of employment). Both full time

Nothing solid, yet, but one would have me working on our cognitive (machine learning) radios SBIR since that's mostly C++11/14 work and we've only got one other C++ dev, and the other would be doing more raw C work for our radios in general. I'd much rather get the former, since I've come to love modern C++ and I know the pre-existing codebase for that project is in a great shape since the other C++ dev here is a fucking wizard. I'll take whatever I can get, though. Being able to say "fuck school" entirely after what I've been through seems nice. I wanted to do well in school, and I still enjoyed it for the most part, but goddamn is my university seemingly determined to screw me over and stop me from taking any sort of major I would want to take. The last upside/note is that I'll be full time for the next round of NASA solicitations. Last time I didn't write any proposals because I was still mixing school and work, but this time I'll definitely be trying to nab some GPU computing related contracts for things like propulsion dynamics and propellant dynamics. Winning one of these would make my primary investigator for them, letting me hire new programmers or requisition current employees to complete my contract. If I do well enough, I could spin up a new division here in a few years :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

8. Post #1448
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    8,750 Posts

There is a directx proxy used for ENB on vice city that translated dx8 calls to dx9, u could have a look at that

9. Post #1449
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,238 Posts
    I haven't posted in a while, but I have been programming a ton, heeere's a few highlights

Attractors

Brownian motion mountain generation

A fractal program

Some water simulation stuff, still got some kinks to work out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

10. Post #1450
    I'm Better Than You
    August 2008
    7,560 Posts
    Maybe instead of rolling a custom DX7->DX9 wrapper you could use something like this https://fdossena.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag which convert the DX calls to opengl and then work from there ?
    Sadly this just fucked the entire rendering stack.

Edited:

There is a directx proxy used for ENB on vice city that translated dx8 calls to dx9, u could have a look at that
    Is it open source?

11. Post #1451
    June 2010
    196 Posts
    Is it open source?
    I assume Sam means this one, however it's not open source: http://enbdev.com/convertor_dx8_dx9_v0036.htm

12. Post #1452
    I'm Better Than You
    August 2008
    7,560 Posts
    That's shit. Probably fucking easy to wrap DX7 calls to DX9 myself anyway though, will give it a go over the weekend.