1. Post #2001
    www.bff-hab.de
    May 2006
    3,213 Posts
    Port 22 may be open but they may also be sniffing traffic among that port too. Give it a shot.

Any recommended http proxies? I can set Firefox dev up to utilize it by normal and they can't setup a group policy for Firefox. So if it works I may be good then
    ssh is encrypted, so they can sniff until their noses fall off!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome Germany Show Events Useful Useful x 1Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2002
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,470 Posts
    ssh is encrypted, so they can sniff until their noses fall off!
    Does that apply to the initial handshake too? Unless both parties immediately start with e.g. a super plain DH key exchange, the tunnel itself should still be easily identifiable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #2003
    www.bff-hab.de
    May 2006
    3,213 Posts
    Does that apply to the initial handshake too? Unless both parties immediately start with e.g. a super plain DH key exchange, the tunnel itself should still be easily identifiable.
    Of course the presence of the tunnel is easy to detect. Just say that you need it to manage some remote servers, and the traffic must be encrypted to protect from man in the middle attacks.

4. Post #2004
    Hi.
    July 2011
    5,225 Posts
    Shadowsocks usually works well for this kind of thing. Looks similar to https traffic. I use it to access stuff when I'm in China.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #2005
    your lack of title is bothering me
    January 2013
    3,248 Posts
    Of course the presence of the tunnel is easy to detect. Just say that you need it to manage some remote servers, and the traffic must be encrypted to protect from man in the middle attacks.
    Issue is I don't think they're that dumb, and there's no reason I'd be able to give them that I need to access said remote servers.

So I'm pretty tied down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #2006

January 2012
    478 Posts
    Issue is I don't think they're that dumb, and there's no reason I'd be able to give them that I need to access said remote servers.

So I'm pretty tied down.
    Buy a wifi card, build a cantenna, point it at the nearest starbucks. If anyone asks, tell them it's an art piece from your nephew.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 7Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

7. Post #2007
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    9,133 Posts
    hmmm this seems odd, storing a pointer and a reference?

i... don't even. i can't even. how do you even arrive at this fucking logic?

Edited:

guy who made this has a phd and claims to be an algorithm developer - did some research and found a preview of his next algorithm: LINK

What unadulterated brilliance!

Edited:

how does this even fucking compile let alone work?

"you can't make a reference null", they said

"hold my beer"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

8. Post #2008
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,741 Posts
    for what purpose would you even need to store both a pointer and a reference to something at the same time in the same place
    let alone make the pointer null and then store a reference to said null pointer

Is the whole point lazyness so that he won't have to (->) and can just (.) them instead?
    Because if so he saves 2 characters every time, dropping _p-> to .

9. Post #2009
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,229 Posts
    It's super useful when you want undefined behaviour.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 3 (list)

10. Post #2010
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    9,133 Posts
    for what purpose would you even need to store both a pointer and a reference to something at the same time in the same place
    let alone make the pointer null and then store a reference to said null pointer

Is the whole point lazyness so that he won't have to (->) and can just (.) them instead?
    Because if so he saves 2 characters every time, dropping _p-> to .
    me and the two senior C++ devs at work (yay there's one more of us now) just spent half an hour pondering how the fuck they arrived at this conclusion, because really, how do you? Its the same person that tried to delete an operand and created a new stack object for a function returning a const reference - it has to be, because the brand of dumb is unique

i can't think of any language you'd do this in, or any reason you'd ever do this. its as much an enigma as it is a stupid fucking thing to do

Edited:

I quite like refactoring code, pulling it apart into cleaner chunks, adding modern C++ bits to make things clearer and safer, and getting the feeling of renovating an existing system

but fuck this stuff is testing my goddamn patience
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

11. Post #2011
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,741 Posts
    Spent all day today learning how to actually configure my project for CMake. Holy hell that took a while, but only because I'm picky as fuck and needed things to look nice and neat.

I'm not sure to what degree this works with other compilers or IDE's, but I just needed a way to create and update projects with half a dozen dependencies that could be found in different directories on different systems.

And now that it works on my machine™ ​I can finally call it a day

12. Post #2012
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,848 Posts
    me and the two senior C++ devs at work (yay there's one more of us now) just spent half an hour pondering how the fuck they arrived at this conclusion, because really, how do you? Its the same person that tried to delete an operand and created a new stack object for a function returning a const reference - it has to be, because the brand of dumb is unique

i can't think of any language you'd do this in, or any reason you'd ever do this. its as much an enigma as it is a stupid fucking thing to do

Edited:

I quite like refactoring code, pulling it apart into cleaner chunks, adding modern C++ bits to make things clearer and safer, and getting the feeling of renovating an existing system

but fuck this stuff is testing my goddamn patience
    Only reason I can think of, is if the pointer might sometimes be null, but you *really* hate using the -> operator. Which, mind you, is a terrible fucking reason, but it sounds like reason isn't exactly this guy's specialty.

13. Post #2013
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    11,867 Posts
    I have no idea what anybody is really saying at this point, and even I think it sounds like a dumb idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

14. Post #2014
    December 2011
    2,777 Posts
    Spent all day today learning how to actually configure my project for CMake. Holy hell that took a while, but only because I'm picky as fuck and needed things to look nice and neat.

I'm not sure to what degree this works with other compilers or IDE's, but I just needed a way to create and update projects with half a dozen dependencies that could be found in different directories on different systems.

And now that it works on my machine™ ​I can finally call it a day
    Do yourself a favor and learn premake instead
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #2015
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,131 Posts
    I want to like premake, the syntax is really nice and the fact that it's lua means that it can be scripted really nicely. But I've yet to find a single cross-platform project where it actually works fine, especially when system-wide dependencies are to be used.

It's sort of like SCons, a really nice Python-based build system, which also makes building things on Windows with the official toolset a complete chore.

I really dislike CMake's syntax, it's a mess of stringly typed spaghetti that nobody really seems to know how to use properly, and that has no official "correct" way to set up your project-specific flags and output paths.
    With that being said I've yet to find a single CMake project that hasn't worked out of the box with all of my development environments and OSes. (Well, there's one which had an explicit disable for Windows in the CMakeLists, because they had hand authored build files for Windows instead.)

It might look like spahetti, it might be messy to work with, it might generate slower build files, but when set up correctly it actually works with the native tooling - not against it as several other build systems. Making it so much nicer to work with when you do your cross-platform development on both Windows and Linux.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)