1. Post #2161
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    7,207 Posts
    I'd prefer matte but I'd take glossy if necessary. Hell, even some tacky carbon-fiber pattern would be tolerable if it meant I could actually get a good, cheap phone that isn't a phablet loaded with more crapware than a discount Walmart netbook.

I'm actually not that big on physical keyboards anymore. I figured I'd miss it, after upgrading from my OG Droid (currently at 25,000 hours of uptime as an alarm clock!), but no, I've found a virtual keyboard perfectly sufficient for the amount of typing I do on my phone. (You, clearly, type a lot more on your phone than I do)
    I just hate touchscreens for texting. The lack of tactile feedback is endlessly irritating for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #2162
    April 2012
    1,169 Posts
    Never been able to type on a phone. Been using smartphones for over 5 years. Never got used to laptop trackpads. Been using those for over 13 years.

3. Post #2163
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,508 Posts
    Helis evermore. In using widows Arrow-ring recognition.
    this is I revalue-sorry rev Wry is enter text in written Perm viler
    Writers XP fillet Pc Err-r.n.

Edited:
       Hello everyone. I am using Windows Handwriting recognition.
    This is a revolutionary new way to enter text in written form under
    Windows XP Tablet PC edition. 

Ink to Math in OneNote is <3 though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Edge Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #2164
    Never been able to type on a phone. Been using smartphones for over 5 years. Never got used to laptop trackpads. Been using those for over 13 years.
    been using swiftkey for like 6-7 years

5. Post #2165
    Ask me about my progressive rock fetish
    September 2010
    8,740 Posts
    Is it installing updates perhaps?
    Nope.

6. Post #2166
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    6,597 Posts
    5" screen
    Headphone jack, USB charging and data link
    Android without stupid modifications and with frequent updates
    No weird protuberances
    Available in black
    Medium-end (or better) SoC
    ~$300 (USD)

Why is this so hard to make? Fuck, why isn't this what EVERYONE makes?
    Doesn't the Moto G5 Plus fit all that criteria?

7. Post #2167
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    9,570 Posts
    Doesn't the Moto G5 Plus fit all that criteria?
    It's a little bigger than 5"...also frequent updates isn't ever gonna happen on a Lenovorola phone.

8. Post #2168
    Dennab
    June 2013
    890 Posts
    I have a Radeon HD 7770 1GB
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814202011

Is it time to upgrade?

9. Post #2169
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    9,570 Posts

Is it time to upgrade?
    This is the vaguest question ever.

Do you feel you need to upgrade? Are you buying newer games and having issues running them at acceptable framerates and resolutions? Is the hardware giving out? Getting artifacts? Drivers going legacy soon?

Then, yes, it is time to upgrade.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #2170
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,592 Posts
    I just hate touchscreens for texting. The lack of tactile feedback is endlessly irritating for me.
    I dunno, SwiftKey works for me really well and I've been using it for years.

11. Post #2171
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    19,019 Posts
    eBay seller gave package to eBay Global Shipping Program for handling. eBay handed the package to wnDirect, a UK logistics company.
    Now wnDirect is handing the package to BRING, a brand name of Norway Post.
    Logistics is weird.

12. Post #2172
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,308 Posts

Is it time to upgrade?
    Newer games require 2GB of VRAM, the 7770 is pretty weak now, like 5 gen behind.

May aswell upgrade, but if you don't play any new games, no need.

13. Post #2173
    Gold Member
    December 2011
    2,496 Posts
    I take for granted that services are split into separate entries in, whatever builds of win 10 you're not using.
    Wait there's a version of windows that collects data on each individual service?
    Where can I get that???

14. Post #2174
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    8,712 Posts
    meanwhile i actually unironically have an iphone now

this is what my life has come to
    I mean, it's the least shit phone you can buy nowadays, you haven't done a poor choice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Internet Explorer 11 Brazil Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7 (list)

15. Post #2175
    Wait there's a version of windows that collects data on each individual service?
    Where can I get that???
    I've had it for ages as an insider, and I lost track of when.
    According to the net, it was released with RS2 (Creators update).

You need more than 3.5GB of Memory to be able to view them separately

More info;
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...Wr7s8WYl3iR.97

Edited:

Interesting history;
    As the number of preinstalled services grew, they began to get grouped into processes known as service hosts (svchost.exes) with Windows 2000. Note that the recommended RAM for PCs for this release was 256 MB, while the minimum RAM was 64MB. Because of the dramatic increase in available memory over the years, the memory-saving advantage of service hosts has diminished.
    Edited:

Oh right, that build also brought the address bar to Regedit.
    that day was a good day

16. Post #2176
    My G4 Plus got nougat, nice. And they added the quick data/orientation toggles I missed from Windows Phone 8!

17. Post #2177
    It's been like two months
    I finally fixed my imgur issue

My regular browser theme causes black text on a black background
    so that's fun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Playstation Portable Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

18. Post #2178
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,859 Posts
    My G4 Plus got nougat, nice. And they added the quick data/orientation toggles I missed from Windows Phone 8!
    If you ever start getting wifi issues post-update, reset your network settings

I had to reset both my parents' or it would keep cutting out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #2179
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    4,966 Posts
    Honestly my PS2 had a network adapter for years before I knew of its second function as an IDE adapter.

what a day that was. So much was learned. So many changes made.

Do they have an easier way to do the initial memory card hack or does it still effectively require either an already hacked ps2 or some rare-as-shit usb adapter or a swap-disk?

because I got waaaaay lucky that my sister's ex had the PS3 -> PS2 usb memory card adapter that sony quickly abandoned right before they patched out native PS2 support from the PS3, I was able to borrow it and found a free mcboot installer tweaked to use it.

Which is good because those suckers start at $60 on ebay.
    Tell me more about this voodoo, I've already modded my slim with MCBoot.

20. Post #2180
    Part 2.
    also avatars3 for github

21. Post #2181
    If you ever start getting wifi issues post-update, reset your network settings

I had to reset both my parents' or it would keep cutting out
    Oh, dammit. Now I'm at college and the open wifi keeps cutting out between 10 second bursts. I was so happy with this phone, too.

Lenovorola!!!

22. Post #2182
    Oh, dammit. Now I'm at college and the open wifi keeps cutting out between 10 second bursts. I was so happy with this phone, too.

Lenovorola!!!
    Should pester ITS about that.
    I did when my surface dropped connection completely when moving around campus.
    Had to remove+reboot my device to get the wireless driver in a fresh state to connect again in a certain part of the campus we had a class in

they blamed it on cisco

23. Post #2183
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    6,597 Posts
    At my college the wifi signal is much stronger in the parking lot than in any of the buildings

24. Post #2184
    SirCrest Sexual Enthusiast
    August 2008
    15,795 Posts
    At my college the wifi signal is much stronger in the parking lot than in any of the buildings
    That's not surprising. Wide open area, instead of having your APs blocked by concrete and bricks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #2185
    September 2013
    18,118 Posts
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easys...&skuId=5792400

These are just 4tb Reds with a 2 year warranty

26. Post #2186
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    29,073 Posts
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easys...&skuId=5792400

These are just 4tb Reds with a 2 year warranty
    I am contemplating buying one if only because I feel like it's been ages since I've seen storage so cheap...

27. Post #2187
    September 2013
    18,118 Posts
    I am contemplating buying one if only because I feel like it's been ages since I've seen storage so cheap...
    $50 less than a bare 4tb Red. I think I'm going to pick up 2 for my ESXi host

28. Post #2188
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,592 Posts
    My college thought it was a good idea to throttle everyone's WiFi at 2/2 and it was terrible.

29. Post #2189
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    29,073 Posts
    $50 less than a bare 4tb Red. I think I'm going to pick up 2 for my ESXi host
    Eh fuck it, I'll buy one too. I'm not convinced that my 2011 Hitachi 1TB that took a spill a few weeks ago is gonna last much longer.

30. Post #2190
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    9,855 Posts
    Just ordered a couple of Motorola Razr phones off ebay for phone-that-only-needs-to-be-a-phone usage. I don't even know what they're like in person. It's a V3i and a V8.

31. Post #2191
    FISSION MAILED
    January 2010
    9,357 Posts
    Is a 3rd generation Raspberry Pi strong enough to be used as a media center? I want to hook one up to my TV (1080p). Also, do Apple TV like remotes exist (touch pad + buttons)? I'm thinking something with bluetooth.

32. Post #2192
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,198 Posts
    Is a 3rd generation Raspberry Pi strong enough to be used as a media center? I want to hook one up to my TV (1080p). Also, do Apple TV like remotes exist (touch pad + buttons)? I'm thinking something with bluetooth.
    A Raspi3 will run Kodi at 1080p just fine, and I'm sure you could find a nice remote for it if you look around
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

33. Post #2193
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    6,597 Posts
    That's not surprising. Wide open area, instead of having your APs blocked by concrete and bricks.
    Usually yeah except the specific spot in the parking lot to which I refer is hundreds of feet away from any buildings and supposedly there's an access point inside every building.

Edited:

A Raspi3 will run Kodi at 1080p just fine, and I'm sure you could find a nice remote for it if you look around
    The Zero will also handle 1080p Kodi just fine but the menus are slow as fuck for some reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #2194
    SirCrest Sexual Enthusiast
    August 2008
    15,795 Posts
    Usually yeah except the specific spot in the parking lot to which I refer is hundreds of feet away from any buildings and supposedly there's an access point inside every building.
    I'm guessing there's an AP on a light pole or similar somewhere. Not all that uncommon on campuses, and wide open with a proper AP will travel for everrrrrrrrr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #2195
    January 2008
    11,143 Posts
    Do they have an easier way to do the initial memory card hack or does it still effectively require either an already hacked ps2 or some rare-as-shit usb adapter or a swap-disk?
    Back in day yonder I used a combination of some program that eludes me (ps2Loader?) to forge either a system config file or game save that caused a stack overflow when certain PS1 games were loaded and Action Replay Max with the USB drive to load the file to the memory card so I could basically run small applications from the memory card directly....which in my case was a swap disc utility.

36. Post #2196
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,198 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #2197
    September 2013
    18,118 Posts
    I'm guessing there's an AP on a light pole or similar somewhere. Not all that uncommon on campuses, and wide open with a proper AP will travel for everrrrrrrrr
    Yeah a nice outdoor on the outer wall of a building will have stupid nice coverage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #2198
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #2199
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,592 Posts
    Oh hey, fp is back up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #2200
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    6,511 Posts
    You know, elinks isn't even that bad of a browser. Sure beats the ever loving shit of out lynx. Even has javascript support to get around cloudflares DDoS protection.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Unknown Browser France Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)