1. Post #1
    February 2017
    63 Posts
    Hello facepunch,

So recently I've been working on developing a DarkRP server and I've been wondering where other people stand as far as DarkRP goes. In other words, what makes DarkRP fun or special to you?

2. Post #2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Useful Useful x 3Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    July 2006
    207 Posts
    Great guide,very usefull actually!

Some other guides:https://angry-mob.com/category/roleplay/
    These guides are more based around role play itself but you can translate this into gamemode features/functions

4. Post #4
    February 2017
    12 Posts
    Original ideas and not bombarding your users with a million different hard to understand rules.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,244 Posts
    Get rid of rules, implement gameplay mechanics in their place, have an actual economy similar to Black Desert Online/EVE Online. The idea is you are attempting to foster an actual community, and not only encourage constant slaughter which will inevitably lead to more rules.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    February 2014
    209 Posts
    Don't have bullshit rules that ruin the game-play like fearRP.

7. Post #7
    January 2013
    3,004 Posts
    If you accept donations, then offer cosmetic only. There's no reason someone who spent real money should have a massive advantage over those who have not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    635 Posts
    I miss classic darkrp. no cars. no fancy bologna. Downtown v2 and nothing more :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9

February 2017
    30 Posts
    Allow VIP for donaters. Also don't permaban people for things like RDM and prop surfing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPad Safari United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

10. Post #10
    November 2016
    35 Posts
    Here's what I would like to think is a pretty solid list of suggestions:
    >Make sure gameplay is fluent, don't litter your server with awful addons that leave players in a position where they don't know where to start. A good Garry's Mod server would have fluent addons that allow people to engage in roleplay and create new ways to play
    every day.
    >Economy is key, you have to create an economy and rare items to be sold within the server. An Auction House would be a great example and players would be able to build the economy up themselves, however this links back to my first point, whilst adding "rare"
    and difficult to obtain items, make sure you aren't just littering your server with crap.
    >A good website. Personally interaction on the forums for a gaming community is one of my favorite parts of a gaming community, I've always loved critiquing applications, writing suggestions or discussing the DarkRP gamemode as a whole. I've seen some really
    nice websites out there, just make sure it's fluent, easy to navigate and looks sleek and nice.
    >A good staff team. As the server founder you'll have to build the staff team from the ground up at first, until you find people who you think are capable of taking a management position. At the moment I'm currently a global manager at a Garry's Mod community, so I
    have some experience in this area. Realistically your going to want a good management structure and not too many ranks, however you don't want people to feel like they aren't progressing at all. Make sure you're recognizing those who are doing good aswell as
    those who are doing bad, without a deserving staff member receiving compliments they will loose motivation quicker. Don't be biased, make sure you're not giving your friends ranks just for the sake of the friendship, you have to make sure your ranks to only those
    who you know are capable, however it's not a bad thing to use a bit of trial and error/give people a chance.

I could write so much more - but I think I gave you a good idea of what you should do (in my opinion). Hopefully this helps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    March 2016
    52 Posts
    No scriptfodder is a good start.

12. Post #12
    February 2016
    52 Posts
    No pay for admin stuff

13. Post #13
    Dennab
    March 2010
    1,266 Posts
    I miss classic darkrp. no cars. no fancy bologna. Downtown v2 and nothing more :(
    Not enough people miss it for it to be worth running a server for, unfortunately.

When I think of classic DarkRP, I'm thinking rp_downtown_ubyutown and that other server (that used to use rp_city18) but that I can't remember the name of right now, but which was very popular. Citrus? Maybe that was a script...

14. Post #14
    sometimes I feel like going into a spastic rage so I can get a cool title but then it would be a bad title, and it wouldnt be cool
    January 2010
    14,719 Posts
    A freedom of speech/RP is nice

Don't ban people for Nazi regimes in the mayor role etc type stuff

Edited:

Get rid of rules, implement gameplay mechanics in their place, have an actual economy similar to Black Desert Online/EVE Online. The idea is you are attempting to foster an actual community, and not only encourage constant slaughter which will inevitably lead to more rules.
    Can you explain this economy

Edited:

This is perfect

15. Post #15
    April 2017
    10 Posts
    Custom addons, not bullshit from script fodder
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    November 2011
    147 Posts
    make half of the jobs donator only and sell admin

17. Post #17
    February 2017
    63 Posts
    We actually launched last month and have been doing decent up until this past week(assuming this is because school)! We refrain from using any scriptfodder addons and we have quite a bit of custom content. I just can't stand hopping on another server loaded with scriptfodder addons and seeing a full server. Really frustrates me that some people actually like that kind of stuff.

Also, I 100% agree with allowing freedom of speech. If one of my staff members were to kick/ban anyone for indirect racism/foul language I would have a whale.

18. Post #18
    March 2017
    189 Posts
    We actually launched last month and have been doing decent up until this past week(assuming this is because school)! We refrain from using any scriptfodder addons and we have quite a bit of custom content. I just can't stand hopping on another server loaded with scriptfodder addons and seeing a full server. Really frustrates me that some people actually like that kind of stuff.

Also, I 100% agree with allowing freedom of speech. If one of my staff members were to kick/ban anyone for indirect racism/foul language I would have a whale.
    You mean Gmodstore. A lot of content from Gmodstore is actually okay. I don't understand why so much hate about it in this thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    February 2016
    34 Posts
    I plan on starting a v2 vanilla server soon. Only issue is people never actually play the map, they do for a day or so and they are back to v4c. Thinking of it, maybe I want to keep those people out. I also have no clue where to advertise a server to get a playerbase started so that could cause a problem or two.

20. Post #20
    February 2017
    63 Posts
    You mean Gmodstore. A lot of content from Gmodstore is actually okay. I don't understand why so much hate about it in this thread.
    It has nothing to do with the quality of their content. It's the fact that most of their scripts are way over used in the Garry's Mod community and it becomes repetitive when you see 100 servers with the same scripts.

21. Post #21
    December 2014
    21 Posts
    Stop making DarkRP servers and make an actual game-mode that is original so that Gmod doesn't die faster.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Georgia Show Events Late Late x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    May 2015
    70 Posts
    Stop making DarkRP servers and make an actual game-mode that is original so that Gmod doesn't die faster.
    But then that original gamemode will get buried and die off
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    October 2015
    79 Posts
    Good DarkRP servers don't exist anymore
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    September 2016
    255 Posts
    Let just say smurfrp had it all

25. Post #25

July 2015
    9 Posts
    Not using M9K and crappy unshaded/anime playermodels.

Don't have 100 PD/Thieves, try to make the smallest amount of jobs as you can so you can open ideas for RP, even if it means citizen can be anything (i mean, i prefer this.)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    7,397 Posts
    Sorry to bump but I feel it's better than creating another "what makes good darkrp" thread.

A few years back I co ran a fairly popular casual/"""semi serious""" darkrp community (csrp)

Community is probably the most important thing for a "successful" darkrp, if you don't have people playing then its probably not successful, if you only have shitbags who rdm/erp rape+bondage clubs then its going to put people off.

I did find (back in 2012) that admins would get burnt out. There was a strange progression where a player would join, distinguish themselves through good roleplay/good playing and get promoted. Once they're promoted to mod/admin rank it becomes a job, all the stuff they enjoyed (roleplaying) doing is interrupted and it alienates them from the community they became a part of.

Often admins would get bored and start abusing or get unhappy and go start their own community (often taking other staff with them).

A system we had to avoid this was to have the higher up staff members purely for regulating the lower staff, so a super admin isn't expected to deal with player infraction allowing them to enjoy the server more, so its less like a job. Sadly administrating mod teams comes with a ton of drama when overentitled mods get threatened with demotion.

Some other ideas we toyed with were staff acting as "gamemasters" running events and identifying issues. We allowed people to base but if they have some invincible fort the gamemaster would supply police with weapons to unfreeze the props or shoot through the walls. Likewise occasionally if the police were too powerful the gamemaster would create entities which spawned guns. Various gangs could fight each other for those guns or unite against the police (for a short time).

My server was around roughly the same time that the NLR, FearRP and Mugging trend had started. I have to say Darkrp was better before they were mandatory. Having some 12 year old brat walk up and threatening to get you banned if you don't comply with his ludicrous demands isn't enjoyable, its not even roleplayed. Just "give me $2000" "/me trembles while checking pockets I don't have any money on me" "admin to me"

Much better to have it so a person tried to mug you and you have the choice to run off or go along with it. And NLR just leads to frustration, you get sniped by someone who hasn't roleplayed a single thing then you have to sit there watching while they rob your stuff. NLR and Mugging+FearRp combo often do not make for fun experiences for the victim. Better to have these laws optional to follow, more fun and less burning out your precious staff members.

Maybe put an incentive on these behaviours by having staff give honorary mentions/promotions/perks for people who do it, rather than punishing for not doing it, reward people for good roleplay not punish for bad roleplay

Increased roleplay is cool but not if its forced on people and the idea of giving people guns then telling them not to use them is... bizarre

Ideally there should be in game ways of dealing with everything with the police acting as a kind of "sub mod team". If someone RDMs or Spams the police should be empowered and equipped to deal with it. If they repeatedly RDM or spam to a degree where it impacts the server then staff should be able to step in.

27. Post #27
    March 2016
    273 Posts
    These threads lmao.
    Anyone who tells you "This is how you run a DarkRP server" is only inexperienced and has run a few successful communities.
    Running a successful community is quite simple - there are a few things you need but ultimately; it all comes down to three basic human principles.

Progression.
    People are goal oriented, make quite a few staff ranks, and always have higher up roles empty - give people the idea they can progress, and sometimes some gratification/progression to keep them invested, and to avoid "burnouts".

Engagement.
    Engagement is a difficult one because it's a compound of a few things.
    You need to engage with the real people; you need to delegate and engage. Get to know your staff.
    Engagement does also tie into the actual server, though - too. You need fresh content that the players want. GmodStore makes your life 100% easier here. Listen to what they want, and within reason - you must act on it. Don't cancer your server out with thousands of addons - try to keep it around 100-150. Like a lot of things, it's quite a tricky balance.

One thing, however - probably the most important, and overlooked is nothing to do with the community or server, and everything to do with the owner; paitience.
    Things take time, be patient.

Advice typically sucks - don't try to do what someone else does, and don't think anyone else has "cracked" it. The true "key" to running a successful community is building it around you, making it work for you. If you're shit with staff, bring someone in who loves that stuff. If you're shit with development; bring someone in who's good with that.
    Obviously bringing people in also opens you up for internal attack/power struggles. So you need to be so engaged with these people, and the people they directly work/communicate with.
    If you're shit with forum engagement, incentivise people who like forums to engage more through badges and shit.

It's all about getting the most from the people around you and being patient for (the right) people to get involved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28

February 2017
    16 Posts
    No Pay2Win
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Firefox Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    April 2014
    185 Posts
    I join an RP server and I don't know what the hell is going on or what to do.

Here is why:
    1) The weapon bar is unsorted and weird, considering you have tools amongst god knows what.
    2) Everyone's just running around not following the rules.
    3) There's too many Nyan cats shooting rainbows, people with trails and lots of error models/missing textures - completely making it unconsumable.
    4) I see a Pay2Win cash shop soon after joining, why should I spend time if the rich have an advantage. I might as well play "real life".
    5) There's too many rules to read, they micro-manage your playing style, so it's more stressful than fun.
    6) No guide or hints.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera New Zealand Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    June 2017
    11 Posts
    All those tips above, heh. Just be classic, try and make DarkRP how it used to be. Join any DarkRP server now and that's an example how to not make a darkrp server. When I started GMOD in 2011 DarkRP was one of the best gamemodes you could have.

Examples:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NhqjCxA3K8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zScgs5y9IaI

I feel like the mature side of the community(aka not 10 y/os unless they're mature too which I highly doubt) should come together and rebuild the classic DarkRP because that is a gamemode that I truly miss. Old weapons, maps, people, style.

31. Post #31
    June 2017
    2 Posts
    Lately I have been looking for a server based around gmod 12 rp with that good old f4 menu that gives me nostalgia and like you said downtown_v2 but nobody has anything like that.

32. Post #32
    July 2015
    38 Posts
    Hmm, no fearRP, adverting, or RDM

33. Post #33
    Dennab
    August 2016
    84 Posts
    Hmm, no fearRP, adverting, or RDM
    Adverting isnt bad if it's done right, plus it's needed for admins a lot to determine punishments.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Albania Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    July 2015
    38 Posts
    Adverting isnt bad if it's done right, plus it's needed for admins a lot to determine punishments.
    Well I see your point, but it kinda ruins it telling the person you are raiding them and telling everyone else including cops in the process.