1. Post #121
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    6,587 Posts
    This is the first time that video game dialouge has quite literally made me cringe
    For me its the facial expressions. It's an instinctual reaction that whenever I see Sarah Ryder's face my face wants to sink into my skull.

2. Post #122
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,337 Posts
    I didn't actually mind the exchange in the OP. In a game that constantly attains pure cringe, scenes of intentional cringe can come off as kind of endearing. Too bad the rest of the thread has revealed yet more unforgivable jank and unintentional cringe.

Also, not sure what your angle is here HumanAbyss, you seem to be in every MEA thread posting what amounts to "yeah but guys I don't think the other mass effect games were great either"

3. Post #123
    sometimes I feel like going into a spastic rage so I can get a cool title but then it would be a bad title, and it wouldnt be cool
    January 2010
    13,941 Posts
    It's really weird because SWTOR is made by bioware and their stories in the recent expansions have been really nice and well acted and animated, a major step up from SWTOR's base game cinematically

then you see this shit.

Did all the good people jump ship to work on star wars?

Edited:

Or maybe the star wars team isn't even bioware and it just says Bioware so people can recognize the KOTOR ties easier

4. Post #124
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    28,732 Posts
    It's really weird because SWTOR is made by bioware and their stories in the recent expansions have been really nice and well acted and animated, a major step up from SWTOR's base game cinematically

then you see this shit.

Did all the good people jump ship to work on star wars?

Edited:

Or maybe the star wars team isn't even bioware and it just says Bioware so people can recognize the KOTOR ties easier
    Drew Karpyshian(or whatever it's spelled as) wrote most of SWTOR
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Firefox Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #125
    sometimes I feel like going into a spastic rage so I can get a cool title but then it would be a bad title, and it wouldnt be cool
    January 2010
    13,941 Posts
    Is he still writing it? Because if so I'd like to commend him for a job well done on KOTFE and KOTET. Really enjoyed them.

Edited:

Aha, he also wrote the original 2 ME's and KOTOR.

Edited:

This explains why I've heard about a major writing quality drop after 2

6. Post #126
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    9,919 Posts
    That's the original Bioware office. Montreal has only existed since 2009, and Austin since ToR began development.
    Wow, I completely forgot.

I live in fucking Calgary a city only 3 hours away so that's embarrassing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #127
    January 2010
    13,941 Posts
    Montreal dragging Edmonton and Austin under the bus with them I see.
    I don't know about Edmonton, but I think Austin is dragging themselves just fine.

SWTOR is really well produced but I won't lie their model is shit and they're pissing off their community.

Recently they added a new gear system at end game where there's like 300 fucking levels of bullshit grind that may give you some new gear, and the only way to earn the points for these levels and to be allowed to wear the gear is to be subscribed so its effectively become a sub only game again for any serious players.

They also recently announced they were going to add 100 more levels and phrased the announcement in a way that made it sound like they thought people would be excited about it. They got torn to shreds in comments in minutes.

These aren't very good days for Bioware no matter which branch

8. Post #128
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    9,919 Posts
    I almost feel bad paying for a subscription for SWOTOR because of how much Bioware has pissed me off after ME2(YES, even ME2 annoys me). I even bought DA:I which, while better than DA2(not that that was a very high bar)lost my interest relatively quickly.

The thing that really annoys me that bioware started was the fad for RPG's with dialog options to truncate the selections into like 5 words MAX instead of what your character would actually say like in KOTOR or Deus Ex for example. This pisses me off to no end and pretty much makes it so good and asshole dialog options have to be color coded because you wouldn't be able to tell their tone otherwise.

In KOTOR you knew exactly what the outcome would be when picking an option(a vast majority of the time anyway)because you were reading exactly what would be 'said'. You knew what the tone of something was because you could actually fuckin read it.

It was really bad in ME3 where huge speeches were reduced to 3-5 words on you "list" of selections. There were a couple were the tone of what was actually said by Shepard just didn't match with what the selections seemed to imply.

I miss the days of getting a list of options to pick from where what is displayed is what the other characters hear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #129
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,614 Posts

ryder...what happened to.......pathfinder
    Based on this character:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #130

March 2016
    82 Posts
    Me on the right watching these.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #131
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    16,657 Posts
    Me on the right watching these.

People thought the animation looked bad then, but at least it was animation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #132
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    7,428 Posts
    Aha, he also wrote the original 2 ME's and KOTOR.
    He only wrote some parts for ME2 though, including the dropped Tali's dark energy thing.
    People thought the animation looked bad then, but at least it was animation.
    IIRC everyone was shitting on the 'gameplay' portion's animations. We couldn't even imagine how that can extend to important cutscenes...

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    8,281 Posts
    ME1/2 had awkward dialogue that was actually well written and felt natural-awkward - the Garrus/femshep romance for example. This just makes me feel like I'm watching 1980s animatronics act out My Immortal
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

14. Post #134

June 2016
    785 Posts
    Sure

but it's full of bad decision, rushed choices, rushed design, and it takes massive, massive fucking steps backwards in writing quality.

People remember it through rose tinted goggles. It had, and has, so many problems. The whole series did. Everything Bioware ever made does since Kotor for christs sakes.
    Bioware did DA:O.

15. Post #135
    April 2011
    1,386 Posts
    Well, at least there's actual breasts.
    There's a surprise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Spain Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #136

June 2016
    785 Posts

Is this sex or rape?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Estonia Show Events Funny Funny x 33Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #137
    what emotion is this meant to be

18. Post #138
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    2,634 Posts
    all of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Philippines Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

19. Post #139
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    7,428 Posts
    what is going on, what is consent

20. Post #140
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,887 Posts
    Regret, also wasn't expecting a topless scene were the other mass effect sex scenes like this? i havent played any.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #141
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    16,657 Posts
    pathfinding
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 3 (list)

22. Post #142
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    2,243 Posts
    I love how the dialogues fits them very well ironically like how that one character said her face is tired with that blank facial expression in the other video
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Chrome Taiwan Show Events Zing Zing x 4 (list)

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    17,620 Posts
    Her face is tired.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Zing Zing x 2 (list)

24. Post #144
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    7,428 Posts
    So meanwhile another two romance scenes for Sara surfaced, the long-awaited Suvi lesbian hotness scene and Liam's boring shirtless (heeeeeey Jakob, I almost forgot about you, buddy) straight thing. And I'm not posting them because    disappointment    They're easily enough found on Youtube if anyone wants to confirm it, I just kinda don't feel like they're worth reopening the tabs.

Bioware continues with its proud tradition of having a default romance option for each gender. Want to pick anyone else, well no interesting scene for you. You chose poorly, try again next time.

25. Post #145
    "Only through the elimination of violence can we achieve world peace." - Y.K. Kim
    August 2009
    9,132 Posts
    when you fart but you think you feel a little bit of poop come out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 20 (list)

26. Post #146
    February 2013
    8,507 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15 (list)

27. Post #147
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    7,428 Posts
    This happened because the camera was supposed to be zoomed in, I just fucking know it. But someone went "fuck it". You can tell by the excessive background DoF blur and how empty it looks.

Fuck's sake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Opera Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #148
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,866 Posts
       "OHMYGEWDISS, RYT-DERR."   
    How do you look at something like this and say "yep, let's release it"?

29. Post #149
    July 2012
    1,168 Posts

Is this sex or rape?
    I just wanna know why they both sound identical

30. Post #150
    What fun is there in making sense?
    October 2007
    10,802 Posts
    Regret, also wasn't expecting a topless scene were the other mass effect sex scenes like this? i havent played any.
    There was some side boob, but not even nipples or anything. And I think that was only with Liara.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #151
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    28,732 Posts
    There was some side boob, but not even nipples or anything. And I think that was only with Liara.
    no there's nipples

32. Post #152
    October 2007
    10,802 Posts
    no there's nipples
    BRB gonna go embrace eternity real quick to confirm.

33. Post #153
    Gay for BDA
    November 2005
    8,363 Posts
    what kind of AAA game is this

34. Post #154
    Ask me about my Marvel/DC fetish
    May 2010
    27,004 Posts
    A DDD game my dude.

35. Post #155
    October 2007
    10,802 Posts
    Spoiler alert:    it turns out that all the cryo tubes failed in transit and you are just a bunch of robots that look like humans trying to complete the mission   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #156
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    4,501 Posts
    as with everything that gets massively complained about, i really thought people were just exaggerating.

but jesus fucking christ the animation actually is completely awful, the full-body motion is hilariously bad and with the facial animations its so obvious they didnt even fucking try, femryder looks like she's sniffing a nasty turd 24/7 and manryder is dead inside 24/7, not to mention how they all try to recreate Pingu's noot noot every time they speak.

how the fuck does something like this get released in this day and age? from a non-indie developer? especially after all that ''development time''? the fuck is wrong with bioware?

ME1 and 2 weren't perfect but they were pretty good one time experiences, not ever buying this, a few bad animations wouldn't bother me but it seems like every single animation is fucked, only way i'll ever play this is if i get it for free and even then i'd probably physically cringe at how bad the animation and writing is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #157
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    7,295 Posts
    This scene looked like it came straight out of fucking alpha or something. It looks so unpolished and unfinished.

38. Post #158
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    20,394 Posts
    -Snipped-
    Made a joke, spoiler tagged it, realized it might not be good enough just tagging it.

39. Post #159
    August 2010
    1,208 Posts
    This shouldn't be funny to me but I notice that even though Bioware has a reputation among the internet of being full of "Tumblrite SJWs," there's literally one black person out of all of the people in those pictures.

Very diverse team there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

40. Post #160
    Blue Member
    October 2006
    6,411 Posts
    Man, she's faking it even before he goes down on her.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)