1. Post #1
    Kai-Stats.NET
    December 2013
    94 Posts
    I'm an Australian, so when I want to browse for Australian servers with the lowest ping near me, I run a search for some servers.

★SuperiorServers.co - Danktown
    DivinityRoleplay.net | DarkRP | Mortal Kombat

Great, two really high player count servers with low ping. I choose to connect. Loading takes a while but after connecting and checking netgraph, I have 200 ping. WTF?
    Turns out both of these results are shells which deceptively redirect users by setting up a small shitty server, sync the player counts and redirect incoming traffic to the main server.

Code:
    45.76.114.166:27015 ★SuperiorServers.co - Danktown
    RP.SuperiorServers.co:27015 ★SuperiorServers.co - Danktown
    45.32.191.202:27015   DivinityRoleplay.net | DarkRP | Modified Printers
    149.56.194.244:27015   DivinityRoleplay.net | DarkRP | Modified Printers
    I'm really ticked off with this deceptive practice and surprised that I cannot find any other threads about it. Can somebody stop this? Is this ok? WTF IS GOING ON?!?!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 19Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

2. Post #2
    I've got a bad feeling about this
    Dennab
    December 2007
    3,359 Posts

3. Post #3

4. Post #4
    Dennab
    December 2007
    3,359 Posts
    Yeah, I didn't want to go digging, but overall I more meant that if you wanted direct corrective action on a game/server browser level, that's the place to state your case.

Thanks for grabbing the most relevant post for me, though. If I remember correctly StonedPenguin completely deflected the discussion and it moved on without any particular solution.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Kai-Stats.NET
    December 2013
    94 Posts
    Yeah, I didn't want to go digging, but overall I more meant that if you wanted direct corrective action on a game/server browser level, that's the place to state your case.

Thanks for grabbing the most relevant post for me, though. If I remember correctly StonedPenguin completely deflected the discussion and it moved on without any particular solution.
    OMG, I'm not going crazy! This shit is real!!!
    The thing is, these aren't normal lobby servers, when I connect, I don't spawn in game, I am after a long period of loading, I am redirected to these foreign servers which is shady as fuck.

This should be a top priority to be investigated...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Dennab
    December 2007
    3,359 Posts
    OMG, I'm not going crazy! This shit is real!!!
    The thing is, these aren't normal lobby servers, when I connect, I don't spawn in game, I am after a long period of loading, I am redirected to these foreign servers which is shady as fuck.

This should be a top priority to be investigated...
    Yep, people are pissed.

The most leverage you're probably going to work on this angle is that these lobby servers are maliciously spoofing playercount to the server browsers, which should result in them being blacklisted.

In the meantime, the best thing you can do is avoid their community like the plague and encourage your friends to do the same. Feel free to weigh in on the update thread, though, discussing it here isn't going to get much done about it, I imagine.

7. Post #7
    October 2014
    2,673 Posts
    Welcome to the clusterfuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

8. Post #8
    Kai-Stats.NET
    December 2013
    94 Posts
    Really hope they do something about it soon...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9

August 2013
    18 Posts
    Didn't the owner of Superior Servers say that this was going to be removed? What a bullshit way to get players.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10

July 2014
    65 Posts
    Unless someone forces him to do it, I don't think it's gonna happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    June 2014
    263 Posts
    Didn't the owner of Superior Servers say that this was going to be removed? What a bullshit way to get players.
    Oh he did - but a few months later he put them back up again.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

12. Post #12
    September 2009
    1,732 Posts
    He essentially said that, but now he is a malicious server owner by his own words.

But just imagine if a bunch of French/Russian servers started doing this, we all know that StonedPenguin would start having a big cry and demand it was fixed because it would then start impacting his rankings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

13. Post #13
    November 2016
    18 Posts
    Been going on for a long, long time now. We've pleaded before and failed, it's fairly obvious at this point that the only way they'll stop is if they're made to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

14. Post #14

May 2016
    54 Posts
    Is it not sort of forbidden per Cyber Law? As far as I am informed, re-directing under a different name (Such as in this case), is not permitted.
    Well, they only bring you to a Lobby, but it's pretty much Faking a Ping to get Clients. I am unsure though, I have only begun studying law a little, so no sure informations.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Edge Luxembourg Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Dennab
    February 2017
    30 Posts
    Is it not sort of forbidden per Cyber Law? As far as I am informed, re-directing under a different name (Such as in this case), is not permitted.
    Well, they only bring you to a Lobby, but it's pretty much Faking a Ping to get Clients. I am unsure though, I have only begun studying law a little, so no sure informations.
    No pings are faked. They set up a server in Aus or somewhere with faked player counts. When you connect to said server, it just makes you connect to the real server.

Solution:

Blacklist Divinity, Urban Gamers, and Superior Servers. Not their mirror servers, but their main server. If they want to keep doing this shit then their servers can die and get off the server browser.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    September 2009
    1,732 Posts
    I think the conversation is better suited in the update thread where the devs are actually going to see it and take notice. (but won't do anything as usual)

https://facepunch.com/showthread.php...1#post51986417
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome New Zealand Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Known to all as "ARitz Cracker"
    March 2009
    2,359 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 6Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Dennab
    December 2007
    3,359 Posts
    I like how every negative reply to this is

"THIS BAD IMPLEMENT IS WRONG KYS" with no remotely valid criticism

I wonder what servers they play on...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #19

February 2017
    30 Posts
    This does get annoying. Every time I try to join one of SUP's servers, I always am redirected

20. Post #20
    November 2016
    9 Posts
    Superiorservers has been doing this for a long time. They've had their IP's banned before, but StonedPenguin just changes the IP. It's a bad practice and I don't support it - but if it works for them and those who have good ping on there enjoy it then I wouldn't go as far to "put it to the bottom of the list" as stated in the Pull Request on GitHub.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Dennab
    December 2007
    3,359 Posts
    Hey, just bringing this thread to a close.

Robotboy has blacklisted the redirect server IP's and issued a formal warning that if they continue to sidestep it, their actual servers and hosts will be blacklisted as well.

Thanks for the support!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

22. Post #22

February 2017
    30 Posts
    I can't believe I wasted $20 on SUP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    September 2012
    287 Posts
    Redirect servers are legitimate considering region restrictions. If you really think ping matters in gmod you're a nutjob, the biggest issue is the engine + lua being single-threaded.

In 2011 I ran one of the biggest communities in gmod with hundreds of simultaneous players on 12 servers from all around the world, not a single person cared about ping they were just enjoying the servers. Ever since the 2 gmod-killing updates of region restrictions and the gamemode folder server listing, it's nearly impossible to get any players unless you go hire a streamer/youtuber to come on your server or you only make servers with the top 5 shitty gamemodes of darkrp, ttt, sandbox, prop hunt, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Known to all as "ARitz Cracker"
    March 2009
    2,359 Posts
    Redirect servers are legitimate considering region restrictions. If you really think ping matters in gmod you're a nutjob, the biggest issue is the engine + lua being single-threaded.

In 2011 I ran one of the biggest communities in gmod with hundreds of simultaneous players on 12 servers from all around the world, not a single person cared about ping they were just enjoying the servers. Ever since the 2 gmod-killing updates of region restrictions and the gamemode folder server listing, it's nearly impossible to get any players unless you go hire a streamer/youtuber to come on your server or you only make servers with the top 5 shitty gamemodes of darkrp, ttt, sandbox, prop hunt, etc.
    Region restricting issue was fixed a couple of updates ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    September 2012
    287 Posts
    More server results returned != region restriction fixing. 70% of servers i get back are empty leaving world-wide servers with players behind simply because those empty servers returned first.

26. Post #26
    Don't PM me about moderation - PM any of the mods.
    May 2008
    15,411 Posts
    More server results returned != region restriction fixing. 70% of servers i get back are empty leaving world-wide servers with players behind simply because those empty servers returned first.
    It was "fixed" by first querying the master server for non empty servers only, then it queries the master server for empty servers only. This change only applies to the HTML server browser, not the legacy one.

27. Post #27

November 2016
    24 Posts
    Wait so what does it mean when I see this in my console?:

Ignoring blacklisted server: V4n1ll4 | darkRP - SEANANNERS&PEWDIES FAV @ 138.68.156.164:27015
    Ignoring blacklisted server: NoXiousNet.com | Official Zombie Survival (developer version) @ 51.254.209.54:27015
    Ignoring blacklisted server: NoXiousNet.com | Official Zombie Survival (developer version) @ 51.254.209.54:27050
    Ignoring blacklisted server: NoXiousNet.com | Official Extreme Football Throwdown @ 51.254.209.54:27016
    Ignoring blacklisted server: NoXiousNet.com | Pedobear Escape 2 @ 51.254.209.54:27045
    Ignoring blacklisted server: NoXiousNet.com | Deathrun [Extra Lives] @ 51.254.209.54:27019
    Ignoring blacklisted server: NoXiousNet.com | Multiplayer TV [no pony shit] @ 51.254.209.54:27017
    Ignoring blacklisted server: NoXiousNet.com | Retro TeamPlay @ 51.254.209.54:27018
    Ignoring blacklisted server: Garry's Mod @ 51.254.209.54:27069
    Ignoring blacklisted server: Garry's Mod @ 51.254.209.54:27080
    Ignoring blacklisted server: Garry's Mod @ 51.254.209.54:27068
    Are they blacklisted? Why do they have to show up in my console when I join any server?

28. Post #28
    -snip-
    March 2013
    17,209 Posts

Are they blacklisted? Why do they have to show up in my console when I join any server?
    Pretty sure it's just debug print to show the non-displayed servers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    November 2015
    528 Posts

Why is noxiousnet being blacklisted anyway? I used to love their gamemodes ~6 years ago.

30. Post #30
    March 2014
    349 Posts
    Why is noxiousnet being blacklisted anyway? I used to love their gamemodes ~6 years ago.
    It's their redirect servers that are being blacklisted, not the main ones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 2 (list)