1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    19,541 Posts
    https://www.autismspeaks.org/what-au...erger-syndrome

"Asperger syndrome is one of several previously separate subtypes of autism that were folded into the single diagnosis autism spectrum disorder (ASD) with the publication of the DSM-5 diagnostic manual in 2013."

[editline]e[e/ditline]

Also from the Wikipedia page

"Standard diagnostic criteria require impairment in social interaction and repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, activities and interests, without significant delay in language or cognitive development. Unlike the international standard,[28] the DSM-IV-TR criteria also required significant impairment in day-to-day functioning;[31] DSM-5 eliminated AS as a separate diagnosis in 2013, and folded it into the umbrella of autism spectrum disorders.[25] Other sets of diagnostic criteria have been proposed by Szatmari et al.[66] and by Gillberg and Gillberg.[67]"
    like I said, gone from DSM-5, still in ICD-10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

2. Post #42
    Dennab
    January 2017
    880 Posts
    https://www.autismspeaks.org/what-au...erger-syndrome

"Asperger syndrome is one of several previously separate subtypes of autism that were folded into the single diagnosis autism spectrum disorder (ASD) with the publication of the DSM-5 diagnostic manual in 2013."

[editline]e[e/ditline]

Also from the Wikipedia page

"Standard diagnostic criteria require impairment in social interaction and repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, activities and interests, without significant delay in language or cognitive development. Unlike the international standard,[28] the DSM-IV-TR criteria also required significant impairment in day-to-day functioning;[31] DSM-5 eliminated AS as a separate diagnosis in 2013, and folded it into the umbrella of autism spectrum disorders.[25] Other sets of diagnostic criteria have been proposed by Szatmari et al.[66] and by Gillberg and Gillberg.[67]"
    Oh, When I think about that organization (Autism Speaks) in their early years, They did controversial things in 2000s (and maybe still doing it today) when they used believe vaccines cause autism and very much anti-autistic rhetoric with their old films like Autism Every Day made by them, when they portayed autistic people as methphorical monsters for parents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism...#Controversies (Page, That I was refering)

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,617 Posts
    Oh, When I think about that organization (Autism Speaks) in their early years, They did controversial things in 2000s (and maybe still doing it today) when they used believe vaccines cause autism and very much anti-autistic rhetoric with their old films like Autism Every Day made by them, when they portayed autistic people as methphorical monsters for parents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism...#Controversies (Page, That I was refering)
    They still do it. They also still pretty consistently funnel the money they get mostly into their own pockets and into advertising to get more money.

They're very much disliked by the majority of people on the spectrum who know about them, as far as I can tell. Unfortunately that's not enough to stop them from getting 'charitable' advertising deals though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    7,602 Posts
    I'm laughing how people are all happy about this but then someone asks an overwatch dev if a character is autistic and he says yes and people lose their shit

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    1,344 Posts
    I'm laughing how people are all happy about this but then someone asks an overwatch dev if a character is autistic and he says yes and people lose their shit
    people still use autist as an insult in spite of how childish it is, what'd you expect

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    June 2013
    488 Posts
    Julia is also the only character on Sesame Street that got vaccinated.

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,617 Posts
    Julia is also the only character on Sesame Street that got vaccinated.

Elmo seems to have gotten a vaccine in 2015.
    There also was a vaccination episode in 1972.

Of course it seems that both Elmo's recent vaccination and Julia's inclusion sparked backlash from certain parties
    At least I found out that Sesame Street actually has a whole website about their autism initiative via one of these.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    March 2013
    1,312 Posts
    Question: isn't Agent 47 autistic? I mean, he's a well known character and no one made a big fuss of it.

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2011
    2,522 Posts
    Question: isn't Agent 47 autistic? I mean, he's a well known character and no one made a big fuss of it.
    there's not much that would indicate that in universe, no

he's just morose james bond for the most part, depending on the game

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    3,178 Posts
    The major difference is probably that one is a social learning tool for children and the other is an adult oriented videogame, which leads to the "why" and "why not" divide, regardless of what you personally think about the overwatch character stuff, in the context of people's already established frustrations about "(social) politics" being inserted into videogames, warranted or not, it's really no wonder people are weary of or even complain about that kind of stuff, and it's also not really fair to assume someone who has a problem with it in videogames is against it elsewhere they might deem more "appropriate".

It's all a mess to be sure, but the point is not everybody that takes issue with social change/messages being pushed to the forefront in videogames has issues with those changes/messages as a whole, they just might not think it's necessary for it to be in videogames specifically.

11. Post #51
    June 2013
    1,265 Posts
    There's a difference between being stoic and being autistic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

12. Post #52
    March 2013
    1,312 Posts
    There's a difference between being stoic and being autistic.
    Oh, I was really misinformed then. Still, it's great that they show that autistic people aren't freaks.