1. Post #1
    January 2006
    1,912 Posts
    This tool is intended for posing and creating screenshots. It is an improved replacement for the Camera tool.

Get it from the workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=881605937

So what does it do? Quite simple. A camera has its own zoom level (FOV), its own roll angle, and even its own NearZ and FarZ parameters. This enables you to have full control over the composition of your picture, without having to rely on the camera weapon and hope that you don't accidentally reset it.

An advanced camera will never move unless you move it with the physgun.

You can edit and tweak a camera's settings after you've spawned it. Simply open the context menu (hold C by default), right-click the camera and select "Edit properties..."
    In fact, you don't even have to spawn it using the tool. You can instead spawn it from the Entities menu.

You can collaborate in multiplayer! Right-click an existing camera and select "Assign Key" to bind a key to use someone else's camera.

Hope you like!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Israel Show Events Winner Winner x 17 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    13,638 Posts
    Amazing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    4,149 Posts
    Thanks for making this. I always get upset when I go back to a scenebuild and forget what I set the FOV to. This will help a lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    January 2006
    1,912 Posts
    Thanks for making this. I always get upset when I go back to a scenebuild and forget what I set the FOV to. This will help a lot.
    I'm happy you like it! This is exactly the type of thing I set out to solve when making this. You were one of the people I really wanted to get feedback from.

There's more features coming! Ask Vioxtar if you want spoilers...

5. Post #5
    February 2007
    1,632 Posts
    Used Advanced Cameras for the first time and made this.

Saved me a good deal of time that would have gone to waste on workflow. Some protips I found useful:

1. Setting NearZ to slightly higher than 0 gets rid of all z-fighting related artifacts
    2. Setting FarZ to a stupidly big number lets you maximize view distance so you don't have to work small
    3. Assign a quick-to-press button (like a mouse button) and try looking through the camera while posing with the Physgun to see exactly what you're doing in the final frame on the go
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Israel Show Events Winner Winner x 7Useful Useful x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    January 2006
    1,912 Posts
    1. Setting NearZ to slightly higher than 0 gets rid of all z-fighting related artifacts
    What do you mean by 'sightly higher than 0'? If my memory serves , the default NearZ is either 4 or 12 or something in that area is 3, and does introduce Z-fighting at high distances. A higher NearZ value will reduce Z-fighting, so you'd want to set NearZ as high as you can while still having your content in the frame, though anything above 50 is unlikely to make a difference in even the largest of maps. Low values like 0.something should presumably CREATE Z-fighting issues.

3. Assign a quick-to-press button (like a mouse button) and try looking through the camera while posing with the Physgun to see exactly what you're doing in the final frame on the go
    I'm curious, when doing this do you use toggle or hold? And would it be useful if you could set one button for hold and another for toggle?

7. Post #7
    February 2007
    1,632 Posts
    From what I've seen setting nearZ to 20 already cancels out all obvious z-fighting, and anything higher will probably change nothing (although it really depends on how 'tight' the zfighting is)

Also I use toggle, no need for separate buttons IMO