1. Post #281
    August 2015
    183 Posts
    Hello.
    My opengl application works like this: The entire thing is in a class, where all variables are defined as private members and are then initialized in the constructor and updated in the update member function.

I am currently working on a shader class. I need to make it so the following process works out fine:

1. construct with constructor without parameters (init with 0)
    2. In the apps constructor make a temporary object that uses the 2nd shader constructor to load the shader files
    3. using a overloadet operator= or a copy-constructor, copy everything from the temporary object to the member variable.
    4. destruct temporary object.

I have the destructor done (just a simple glUseProgram(0) and glDeleteProgram)
    I have all the constructors done (except copy constructor)
    My question now is: How can I correctly copy a shader program so that I can safely delete the old one.

2. Post #282
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,600 Posts
    I don't recall there being a shader copying function, but if you still have the ID's for the fragment and vertex shaders then you can use them to generate another functionally equivalent shader program - though it won't have any of the uniforms set from the previous one.

3. Post #283
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,175 Posts
    If you use newer OpenGL, you can use glProgramBinary and glGetProgramBinary to basically copy one shader into another.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Croatia Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

4. Post #284
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,600 Posts
    I'm looking to support faces for my brush-based geometry that have more than 3 points.
    I've discovered the Delaunay triangulation algorithm, however it seems to generate points in 2D.

This doesn't sound like it should be a problem, since triangles can define a 2D plane between the 3D points; however I'm having a brain fart and can't think of an ideal solution to transforming the input points to 2D (in a way that I can convert them back into 3D after).

The only way I can think of to use this algorithm would be to transform my point list by the inverse of a TBN matrix, generate the modified triangles for the face in tangent space, and then transform the resulting points back.
    However, I would like a solution that doesn't require using tangent space, lest I ever want to triangulate faces that aren't UV wrapped...

5. Post #285
    Gold Member

November 2012
    1,718 Posts
    -snip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Safari United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #286
    Ask me about
    the stick
    up my ass
    April 2010
    11,316 Posts
    I'd try starting with something only two levels deep and adding a whole lot of logging to try and narrow it down.
    That's a really stupid oversight on my end actually. I should've thought of doing this long before, lol. I'll give that a try later when I get some time.