1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,267 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Disagree x 23Agree x 22Funny x 4Dumb x 4Winner x 3Zing x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Ehh, snapchat's fine. I get that his shtick is exaggeration, but the whole "PEOPLE ARE LIVING THROUGH THEIR PHONE SCREEN CAN'T YOU JUST LOOK AT THIGNS" thing is a very real idea and it's really overblown in my eyes. I don't really think the fact that Snapchat has filters is indicative of a worldwide self image problem where we now need on the go photoshop to cover our horrid faces, and more just "haha look I have anime eyes now"

I just use it to send stuff I'm doing to my girlfriend, and, yes, pictures of my pets. She does the same and we both like it. Apparently this is horrible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,716 Posts
    This seems no different than the timeless classic that is the older generation complaining about the new
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,267 Posts
    man i remember i was like 'fuck snapchat is so dumb'

then i had some friends who actually use it

now i'm like 'fuck snapchat is so dumb' while taking a photo of myself with every fuckin filter

shits great
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 7Zing Zing x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    25,421 Posts
    Nothing wrong with snapchat. Something wrong with people who can't go 7 minutes without sending you snaps, though

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    December 2011
    3,618 Posts
    It's just fun sending random pictures/videos to your friends with silly captions of stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    December 2013
    4,541 Posts
    hating on snap makes you look like a pretencious hipster
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 11Informative Informative x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    11,836 Posts
    Yeah, I usually like IHE but this video is using a lot of the "anti-social media" tropes that are very real and a lot of people actually believe, so the line between his usual satirical anger and an actual held belief is a bit too blurred. I actually can't tell if he's serious.

I always feel like when people put this kind of approach to social media they make assumptions that it's users hold a certain mindset that, in my experience, just doesn't really exist? I'm sure there are exceptions, and many of them, but I don't think the vast majority of people who upload photos on Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram or Facebook have this conscious obsession with "getting more likes", that IHE (and "poets" like Prince EA) like to portray.
    And with the argument of "people can't seem to live in the moment anymore", I feel Snapchat is the lesser of any evil there, because you're restricted to the 10 seconds you get to record. Twitter you get 2 minutes, Facebook you can go on forever.

I take photos of my food, yeah, but usually I do it to bring up a conversation with friends, and they do the same. If they reply by saying it looks delicious then shit, suddenly there's an opportunity to hang out with them in the future at the same restaurant. It creates plans. vv

I dunno, I could literally go on for hours about how regressive and narrow-minded this kind of view on social media is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #9
    It's Treason Then
    December 2008
    22,761 Posts
    I dunno, whenever i am bored or when i am somewhere i make a quick snap so my friends know that i am somewhere else and sometimes give me or them something to talk about, like "hey i have seen your snapp at X how was it?".

Other then that i personally just use it as a thing to do when im bored. Tho i have some people who make a 2 hour long snapstory every day

10. Post #10
    I do it all
    November 2010
    19,737 Posts
    Snapchat is fantastic honestly, stories are amazing to quickly capture stupid shit happening around you. Seems like IHE ran out of shit to bitch about
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPad Safari Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

11. Post #11
    November 2012
    5,384 Posts
    What's really weird is my little brother and all his school friends using it as a their primary messaging app. The Snapchat messenger deletes messages if you back out of the app unless you save them, my brother just says "well, I just save every message" so I'm thinking well why not just use a messenger where you don't have to do that? One that's also far more stable and has far more convenient features like Messenger? I'm pretty sure Snapchat doesn't even have group chat features.

It's such a tiny gripe, but they seem to be knowingly inconveniencing themselves using Snapchat as their primary messenger.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,360 Posts
    snapchat is alright I guess, the filters should fuck off though, except for the faceswap as that has good uses

Edited:

can't fucking log into my account though because it thinks my phone is fake or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    I do it all
    November 2010
    19,737 Posts
    What's really weird is my little brother and all his school friends using it as a their primary messaging app. The Snapchat messenger deletes messages if you back out of the app unless you save them, my brother just says "well, I just save every message" so I'm thinking well why not just use a messenger where you don't have to do that? One that's also far more stable and has far more convenient features like Messenger? I'm pretty sure Snapchat doesn't even have group chat features.

It's such a tiny gripe, but they seem to be knowingly inconveniencing themselves using Snapchat as their primary messenger.
    You can make snapchat groups but yeah it's only good for group photo sharing. The chat features suck so it's silly he and his mates haven't swapped to a better chat app
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPad Safari Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    3,546 Posts
    I dont think he is too serious since he seems to use it himself.

he is completely right about the news sections though, its awful

15. Post #15
    I dont think he is too serious since he seems to use it himself.

he is completely right about the news sections though, its awful
    Yeah but you don't have to look at it. I didn't know there was a news section until now and I use the app regularly.
    People care about buzzfeed and shit like that a little too much. Yes, buzzfeed sucks. Yes, clickbait sucks. But y'know what buzzfeed is?
    It's a magazine. It's really just an update of the same gossip mag trash you see at the check out line. And nobody cares about gossip mags, at least not anymore. It should take up about as much of your attention span as that does, really.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    11,836 Posts
    Yeah but you don't have to look at it. I didn't know there was a news section until now and I use the app regularly.
    People care about buzzfeed and shit like that a little too much. Yes, buzzfeed sucks. Yes, clickbait sucks. But y'know what buzzfeed is?
    It's a magazine. It's really just an update of the same gossip mag trash you see at the check out line. And nobody cares about gossip mags, at least not anymore. It should take up about as much of your attention span as that does, really.
    Y'know, I've actually never thought of it like that before. It really is just the internet-version of gossip-tabloids. Same headlines, same content. It's the clickbait of a different era. Flipbait?

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    5,181 Posts
    As someone who doesn't have a smartphone and doesn't use alot of social media save for FB sometimes, I think the real problem just comes down to people and not the tools/apps.

Its the people who can't pull themselves away from their phone for any significant amount of time that are the annoying ones, ala how one uses the app is what matters.

Lastly I think its just more personal and special if you can enjoy a particular moment without having to share it every 5 minutes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    I am a pasty white nerd who gets offended for black people because I have nothing better to do
    July 2006
    7,269 Posts
    snapchat is great for sending quick jokes to your friends

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    9,233 Posts
    my snapchat story

"you should use snapchat" -Dad

"No" -Me

20. Post #20
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    29,335 Posts
    Snapchat is fine, he should be mad that Facebook is trying way too hard to incorporate Snapchat-like features and they're ruining pretty much both the Facebook and Messenger apps at this point. That's a hell of a lot worse than anything Snapchat did or does.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,608 Posts
    I love snapchat as a concept but hate the fact that it runs like ass on my iPhone 6.
    Does it feel snappy (Pun not intended) on newer phones on all platforms?

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    8,812 Posts
    I have a 6s+ and it runs fine for me, latest iOS version as well.

Snapchat is great, probably my favorite app tbh

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    3,546 Posts
    I love snapchat as a concept but hate the fact that it runs like ass on my iPhone 6.
    no, its really slow on my s6. its really bloated because they kept tacking features onto it. they really need to refresh their core code (I think they have for IOS, but not android)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    13,557 Posts
    drains android batteries
    My nexus 5x gets really hot if it's even open in the background

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,175 Posts
    instagram and snapchat were the first things I actually just didn't and still don't "get". I'm not even that old, I just don't understand why someone wants to use picture only twitter. And with snapchat I don't get it because no one I know uses it so I don't understand it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    717 Posts
    Yeah, Snapchat and Android do not go well together.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Estonia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,394 Posts
    works perfectly on my 7 plus

28. Post #28
    It's Treason Then
    December 2008
    22,761 Posts
    Oh ye only downside is the Discoveries tab, i die a little whenever i accidentally get into it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    7,843 Posts
    the only big problem i have with snapchat is when people need to maintain their streaks with a religious fervor

whats the fucking point in exchanging just pictures of your face with someone with no text, filter, or meaningful information

30. Post #30
    September 2015
    1,729 Posts
    The video is a bit cliche but I still think it's true. I might be biased as a high schooler but snapchat here is fucking annoying as hell, so many selfies all the time, even in class.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,721 Posts
    The thing i am sad about Snapchat is, thousands are throwing themselves into a tragedy because of this app. Everybody started to shoot their moments thru snapchat which causes those videos and photos to disappear, leaving you absolutely nothing to go back to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Turkey Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    Just lost $10.
    May 2009
    3,123 Posts
    The thing i am sad about Snapchat is, thousands are throwing themselves into a tragedy because of this app. Everybody started to shoot their moments thru snapchat which causes those videos and photos to disappear, leaving you absolutely nothing to go back to.
    I just save almost everything I take on snapchat which I like, you only have to press one button to do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    7,843 Posts
    theres an option to backup everything you post to your story automatically
    also whenever you take a picture/video theres a button to save it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    11,108 Posts
    IHE really pulling a few muscles with all this reaching

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    12,456 Posts
    Eh its a good way to send funny stuff I see at work and etc, or me pooping/farting to my friends all at once

just another way to communicate stuff

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,267 Posts
    instagram and snapchat were the first things I actually just didn't and still don't "get". I'm not even that old, I just don't understand why someone wants to use picture only twitter. And with snapchat I don't get it because no one I know uses it so I don't understand it.
    i felt the same way, then i just had some friends who used it and i downloaded it and tried using it with them adn my fucking god im addicted

also, drains my s5 battery like a whore

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    3,367 Posts
    I just save almost everything I take on snapchat which I like, you only have to press one button to do it.
    The instant wash of pain when you realize you forgot to press save tho
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    6,206 Posts
    I have had Snapchat for two years and I have friends who use it but I have NO idea how to use it. Half the time I take a picture of something funny I want to share I'm wondering who it's going to go to and how can I send something to one person specifically.

I wanted to test this out but then I'd have to explain what I'm doing so as to not make my friends go "...okay, so it's a picture of a lamp." Instead of face that kind of social anxiety I just opted to not use the program.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    8,812 Posts
    I have had Snapchat for two years and I have friends who use it but I have NO idea how to use it. Half the time I take a picture of something funny I want to share I'm wondering who it's going to go to and how can I send something to one person specifically.

I wanted to test this out but then I'd have to explain what I'm doing so as to not make my friends go "...okay, so it's a picture of a lamp." Instead of face that kind of social anxiety I just opted to not use the program.
    you just tap their name on your friends list once youve taken a picture and bam they're the only one you send it to, unless you've selected a bunch of people or your story

40. Post #40
    It's Treason Then
    December 2008
    22,761 Posts
    The instant wash of pain when you realize you forgot to press save tho
    Can't you just save it again by going into your story and save it then? In case you send it to your story that is