1. Post #1
    February 2010
    533 Posts
    MOSCOW — Russia’s Supreme Court on Thursday declared Jehovah’s Witnesses, a Christian denomination that rejects violence, an extremist organization, banning the group from operating on Russian territory and putting its more than 170,000 Russian worshipers in the same category as Islamic State militants.

The ruling, which confirmed an order last month by the Justice Ministry that the denomination be “liquidated” — essentially eliminated or disbanded — had been widely expected. Russian courts rarely challenge government decisions, no matter what the evidence.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/w...sses.html?_r=0
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 13 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    6,794 Posts
    That's one way to stop the door knockers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Australia Show Events Starred Starred x 24 (list)

3. Post #3
    September 2013
    6,251 Posts
    Hasn't basically every totalitarian regime hated Jehovah's Witnesses?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Absolute tosser, manchild, and belligerent douche-nozzle.
    July 2006
    10,585 Posts
    Hasn't basically every totalitarian regime hated Jehovah's Witnesses?
    Pretty much.

As annoying as they are, they very consistently oppose violence.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Australia Show Events Starred Starred x 13 (list)

5. Post #5

June 2016
    1,120 Posts
    Good, now outright ban homeopathy as well

sadly it wont happen, homeopathy is very heavily ingrained in population   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Estonia Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    3,349 Posts
    Good, now outright ban homeopathy as well

sadly it wont happen, homeopathy is very heavily ingrained in population   
    How the hell is this good? Banning an entire religion for no reason is beyond fucked up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 48 (list)

7. Post #7
    February 2015
    797 Posts
    I never know about these "Jehovah Witness"
    Can someone give me a brief explanation about these guy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Indonesia Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Tbh from my experience most of these guys around here are simply scammers, selling expensive stuff like books or even bullshitting people into giving them money/property.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPad Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Starred Starred x 9 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    6,794 Posts
    They come to your door and waste your time asking why you aren't one of them. Some of them also have creepily good fucking memory, one guy came back the next year and remembered my name and everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Australia Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    34,408 Posts
    I don't know much about them, but I know that they usually have a very tight-knit community and being kicked out of that community has led to suicide of some because they really do all collectively ignore you on spot if you have committed a major sin, such as living with someone unmarried, sex out of wedlock, being gay, etc.

Had a friend whose parents were Jehovah Witnesses. When he came out of the closet to them, they literally kicked him out on the street that day and he was homeless for two weeks until he went back and told them he was "wrong" about his sexual preferences.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 24 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,425 Posts
    I hate the jehovas witness religion with a passion, Ive had friends who were witnesses and they inevitably end up pressured by their communities into leading really miserable lives- and then eventually cutting contact with anyone outside of the religion.

One friend, whose mother was a witness, had a household that was basically an indoctrination camp.
    He was a really nice guy when I met him, but he steadily started coming out with more and more insanely bigoted stuff, constantly trying to pick on me about my sexuality, or start arguments about evolution with lines that he had obviously been made to commit to memory by his family.
    Eventually he approached a member of our friendship circle who had recently been a victim of sexual assault and tried to deliver her some rehearsed lecture on how the bible says she has to marry the guy, causing weeks of drama and completely ostracising himself from our group. Last I heard he had been convinced by his family that we were just discriminating against him for being a witness, and it was all on us for reacting the way we did.

Another was given a choice between two potential boyfriends from other witness families, and told she would be made homeless if she chose someone "worldly" instead, or failed to do her duty and raise a family. Both of them were in their 20's while she was underage. Both guys were abusive. Both of them beat the tar out of her. She stopped speaking to everyone after high school and she's married to one of them now.

However, While I can see why people would take issue with the religion considering some pretty shady stuff goes on within witness communities and they discourage contacting any authority outside of their community- you don't just ban an entire religion what the fuck?

Offer support for people who are forced out of their communities, Try to offer help to people suffering but unwilling or unable to contact outside assistance, don't just ban the religion and expect all of the negative elements to just go away and not continue in secret, with an even greater level of isolation for victims.

Although, something tells me this has little to do with concerns of what goes on in the communities anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 42 (list)

12. Post #12
    November 2016
    187 Posts
    They come to your door and waste your time asking why you aren't one of them. Some of them also have creepily good fucking memory, one guy came back the next year and remembered my name and everything.
    Maybe they just have your name and stuff linked to your adress on a database, so they know who to refer when knocking your door.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Spain Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    4,901 Posts
    Russia offers freedom of religion*, thought**, expression**, association^ and movement.

*As long as it's Eastern Orthodox christianity
    **As long as it's approved by Kremlin
    ^As long as the group you associate with is approved by Kremlin
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Poland Show Events Starred Starred x 17 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,109 Posts
    What's up with you going all passive-aggressive over Russia banning a cult all of a sudden?

IIRC JW prohibit their members from getting blood tranfusions. Their children sometimes die from this. Think of the children etc

Can't wait for them to fucking liquidate Scientology too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Starred Starred x 9 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    4,444 Posts
    What's up with you going all passive-aggressive over Russia banning a cult all of a sudden?

IIRC JW prohibit their members from getting blood tranfusions. Their children sometimes die from this. Think of the children etc

Because as much as everybody fucking hates Jehovah's Witnesses, banning a religious practice that's for the most part peaceful is pretty troubling even if they do do the weird and tragic blood transfusion shit.

I'd rather see Scientology burned to the ground simply because there's the claim that they run slavery onboard their sea org ships or whatever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

16. Post #16
    March 2017
    13 Posts
    I hate the jehovas witness religion with a passion, Ive had friends who were witnesses and they inevitably end up pressured by their communities into leading really miserable lives- and then eventually cutting contact with anyone outside of the religion.
    This reminds me, my friend's girlfriend used to go with her mum to the local Kingdom Hall and they had speakers in the toilets so you don't miss a second of brainwashing

17. Post #17
    July 2006
    393 Posts
    It's about damn time

18. Post #18
    December 2015
    497 Posts

They're not doing this for any of the right reasons. They're doing it because witnesses do not believe in adhering to non-witness political authority and are opposed to violence, which under Russian law gives them a religious exemption to the draft.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,109 Posts
    They're not doing this for any of the right reasons. They're doing it because witnesses do not believe in adhering to non-witness political authority and are opposed to violence, which under Russian law gives them a religious exemption to the draft.
    You can claim to be a pacifist zoroastrian and if you can gather three accounts of people who know you that confirm it (and if the voenkom is in a good mood) you will get an exemption. You won't be able to get a government job after that, but still.

Does intent still matter if this was the right thing to do? Those cults prey on the weak, isolating and exploiting them. You can leave a church, shit, I was baptized orthodox when I was a kid and I had no trouble "leaving". You can't just leave a cult.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

20. Post #20

June 2016
    1,120 Posts
    How the hell is this good? Banning an entire religion for no reason is beyond fucked up.
    Religion and sect is different. They are known to be malicious as fuck, maybe not in Western world but in Russia they are pretty much WBC, and if you think that shit is fine then you should be fucking ashamed.

21. Post #21
    November 2014
    2,599 Posts
    In Russia, Jenovah are a cult.
    I don't remember stories about American branch scamming out the property from elderly people and large sums of money from it's followers.
    This shit is like Mormons.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    10,595 Posts
    Every JW I've met has had some form of mental problem like depression or bipolar disorder. Its a cult that fucks people over mentally and I'm pretty okay with it being banned tbh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    10,003 Posts
    I'm a little bit closer to okay with banning cults like the JW.

But honestly I'd stick more to the line that in a free society we can expect some people to make batshit stupid decisions like this. and as long as they mostly just harm themselves, they should be able to do it. Though education on how cults function and treatment for people trying to escape should exist.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    4,444 Posts
    Religion and sect is different. They are known to be malicious as fuck, maybe not in Western world but in Russia they are pretty much WBC, and if you think that shit is fine then you should be fucking ashamed.
    Damn, I had no idea tbh. That's pretty messed up actually. The impression I'd had is that the American branch is annoying but benign. But if the Russians are more screwed up I can understand why they'd get cracked down on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    21,265 Posts
    do you have a moment to hear about the story of jehovah?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    7,370 Posts
    This dilutes the meaning of "extremist group" pretty heavily I feel.

27. Post #27
    I'm living in the Best Korea. 사랑해요 김치맨!
    December 2008
    2,318 Posts
    Well, I don't have really good image about Jehovah's Witnesses.
    They're avoiding the duty and conscription in South Korea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Korea, Republic of Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    ARERARAGI <3
    July 2007
    513 Posts
    Well, I don't have really good image about Jehovah's Witnesses.
    They're avoiding the duty and conscription in South Korea.
    I know it's a delicate situation with there still technically being an active war, but being a conscientious objector isn't something you should look down on. If you think they should still be required to serve the government, most countries let them do some kind of non-violent, non-military service.

Looking it up, SKorea does have a sort of alternate service- so I can see how you dislike objectors- but it still requires combat training, which is kinda what they're objecting to
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    34,408 Posts
    I think the most dangerous part of JW is that they pressure you to only ever associate with other JW and avoid contact with anyone outside of it at all costs.

It completely cuts you off from not just reality, but any kind of alternative means of living or belief than what the JW tells you.

And the worse part is, when all you know and talk to is JWs and you've committed a sin worthy of being kicked out, then you're literally homeless and friendless, with even literally your own family turning your back on you in a single moment less they suffer the same fate as you. This is why those kicked out of the church tend to commit suicide more often than people kicked out of other churches (which I don't even think is a thing anymore beyond JWs and maybe Mormons).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    16,575 Posts
    I probably hate the religion more than anyone here but honestly this is just bad on all aspects. Not only is it a totalitarian regime banning people simply because they don't like, but on top of that it feeds the JW persecution complex and plays into their end times prophecies that world governments will ban them, which they can use for recruitment purposes and fearmongering. No good comes from this honestly, it's be better to just let them fade into obscurity like they already were.

This move won't hurt the 7 old men at the head of the religion either, might take a bit of their real estate away but they'll all be nice and safe down in the US, all it hurts is the average day to day believer who is really just a victim of the religion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    March 2014
    6,299 Posts
    I'm a little bit closer to okay with banning cults like the JW.

But honestly I'd stick more to the line that in a free society we can expect some people to make batshit stupid decisions like this. and as long as they mostly just harm themselves, they should be able to do it. Though education on how cults function and treatment for people trying to escape should exist.
    If only it began and ended with the individual. They force their children and proselytise others.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    3,140 Posts
    My grandma is/was a Jehovah's Witness and I've never had (or even really heard of, but I never had cause to look into it) any of this cult like shit people are talking about in this thread happen. Only thing my gram did was refuse to celebrate holidays with us while I was growing up, and even tried to get my mom to not let us kids celebrate christmas when we were real little, but she was like "nah lol" and that was it.

33. Post #33
    I'm living in the Best Korea. 사랑해요 김치맨!
    December 2008
    2,318 Posts
    I know it's a delicate situation with there still technically being an active war, but being a conscientious objector isn't something you should look down on. If you think they should still be required to serve the government, most countries let them do some kind of non-violent, non-military service.

Looking it up, SKorea does have a sort of alternate service- so I can see how you dislike objectors- but it still requires combat training, which is kinda what they're objecting to
    They're even refusing any combat related stuffs. Also, Not getting conscripted is some kind of advantage in the society. 2 years of time is the something. something that might change everything on you.

But, In the same condition but belief, They're avoiding the duty. If we agree this kind of action, No one would go to the army.
    I know the service is loyal. But, the time in the army sucks.
    You need to learn how to kill, You'll be the asset. Asset of the country against the enemy, North Korea.
    For that, we spend 2 years in the army with no reward.

I know this is bullshit but this is what we've got.
    So, with this circumstances, I can't get any good image on Jehovah's Witnesses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Korea, Republic of Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)