1. Post #4961
    The Doctor Is In
    September 2009
    20,012 Posts
    To the earlier discussion about mocking RC posts, this is a pretty good example: https://facepunch.com/showthread.php...1#post52600283

While I understand the OP didn't exactly put the greatest amount of effort into appealing and instead used to platform to rant, shrugging off the entire post without reading is a bit paradoxical and unnecessary in the case that a legitimate appeal was made. Reagy actually had a very well-structured reply that sufficiently tackled the OP's complaints without taking his semi-troll attitude with absolute seriousness. In short, I feel the quips regarding "not reading" or asking "What?" are unnecessary, especially on a post that was clearly not an outright troll.
    I generally am polite when someone warrants politeness. Someone making an appeal and shoving in a "GO FUCK YOURSELF" isn't polite. There's no real incentive for me to read the rest of the post.

Had he responded appropriately, I would've offered a more genuine answer, but considering he seemed to have abandoned the post anyway, it was generally pointless.

Sometimes I like to poke fun when someone decides to be rude. It happens. Sometimes people learn, sometimes they don't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #4962
    You'll never see it coming!
    September 2011
    25,750 Posts
    I generally am polite when someone warrants politeness. Someone making an appeal and shoving in a "GO FUCK YOURSELF" isn't polite. There's no real incentive for me to read the rest of the post.

Had he responded appropriately, I would've offered a more genuine answer, but considering he seemed to have abandoned the post anyway, it was generally pointless.

Sometimes I like to poke fun when someone decides to be rude. It happens. Sometimes people learn, sometimes they don't.
    Pretty much this plus he was an alt who didn't want to be here in the first place. Should of appealed on his main. But now he's never coming back after that rc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Chrome New Zealand Show Events

3. Post #4963
    100% Homemade
    September 2007
    8,701 Posts
    To the earlier discussion about mocking RC posts, this is a pretty good example: https://facepunch.com/showthread.php...1#post52600283

While I understand the OP didn't exactly put the greatest amount of effort into appealing and instead used to platform to rant, shrugging off the entire post without reading is a bit paradoxical and unnecessary in the case that a legitimate appeal was made. Reagy actually had a very well-structured reply that sufficiently tackled the OP's complaints without taking his semi-troll attitude with absolute seriousness. In short, I feel the quips regarding "not reading" or asking "What?" are unnecessary, especially on a post that was clearly not an outright troll.
    When you post like this

You've kind of forfeited your chances to get a polite reply back on your appeal.

Edited:

Like you can make the greatest appeal ever witnessed by mortal eyes, but it's not going to save you from a really shitty post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

4. Post #4964
    -snip-
    March 2013
    18,274 Posts

But then you did read it, so your post was false. That was my only point, it didn't make sense It wasn't rude or anything
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

5. Post #4965
    The Doctor Is In
    September 2009
    20,012 Posts
    But then you did read it, so your post was false. That was my only point, it didn't make sense It wasn't rude or anything
    It was a silly jab at him being a doofus in his RC thread.

Not much more than that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

6. Post #4966
    You'll never see it coming!
    September 2011
    25,750 Posts
    You're a doofus pascall!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Chrome New Zealand Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

7. Post #4967
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    10,965 Posts
    With loss. I feel like if it's creative enough then it should get a pass. Because sometimes I wouldn't be able to see loss until other people point it out or the ban message is "loss"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #4968
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    13,908 Posts
    With loss. I feel like if it's creative enough then it should get a pass. Because sometimes I wouldn't be able to see loss until other people point it out or the ban message is "loss"
    OC only?
    Like with memes outside Fast Threads (and lmao).
    Posting loss because it's loss is bleh

Edited:

I remember talking about loss and something with mods

but I'm not sure if that was GMF, so I'm not going to say anything
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Edge Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #4969
    I do it all
    November 2010
    19,913 Posts
    With respect to this post, we're all guilty of writing something that sounds much better in our head and is meant to come across as banter but fails to. The question, to me, is not whether a non-moderator would be banned for that post (because I do believe that they would), but whether the ban would be upheld after an appeal in the RC. If it was intended to be a back and forth between 2 users without malicious intent, and you could reasonably demonstrate that in your appeal, then I have no doubt that the ban would be overturned. This is a fair system and makes the RC a powerful tool for users to provide context into their ban and time has shown that it's an effective tool - with many bans being reduced or outright overturned.

With respect to fruxodaily's RC thread, I feel mixed. I believe Kiwi's post can be construed as an open invitation to take the appeal process less seriously, but insulting a moderator, joking or not, during the process of the appeal is almost undoubtedly a bad idea. It comes across as disrespectful - regardless of your relationship with the moderator in question. I personally think it would be best for both sides to keep RC threads strictly professional so as to avoid this issue in the future.
    I believe kiwi has learnt his lesson and will be making better posting decisions from here on out and the moderator team have acknowledged a mistake and said my extension shouldn't of happened

If anything I'd say this is resolved and we don't need to go back and forth on it. What happened happened, we live and learn and we all make mistakes. Kiwi is a good moderator with good intentions he just made a slight fuck up and that's fine. It happens. Let's move on?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome Australia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #4970
    The guy who thinks he's funny
    October 2014
    1,359 Posts
    Hitting up the Ticker always gives me the giggles when I've got nothing better to do

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPad Chrome Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 27 (list)

11. Post #4971
    September 2014
    258 Posts
    I feel the ban for loss is the toll you have to pay, it keeps the bad edits (mostly) out, but people who think they have a really good one will post them. It's also funny to see how long they can go undetected at times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Waterfox Australia Show Events

12. Post #4972
    February 2011
    12,872 Posts
    Post a good funny pic and hide a loss somewhere like guerrilla type revolution shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Firefox Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 14Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #4973
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,255 Posts
    You're a doofus pascall!
    Stop flaming you fuckin garbage >:(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

14. Post #4974
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    9,264 Posts
    I miss ratings being in the RC. It was like tapping the glass in the aquarium.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Safari United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 6 (list)

15. Post #4975
    February 2011
    12,872 Posts
    I miss ratings being in the RC. It was like tapping the glass in the aquarium.
    Problem was when the fish took notice and became rowdy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Firefox Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 14Funny Funny x 3 (list)

16. Post #4976
    Ask me about
    the stick
    up my ass
    April 2010
    11,661 Posts
    Isn't it exactly that kind of crap that got it banned to begin with? From what I recall people kept spamming their shitty edits of it or slipping it into other things simply so they could post more loss, no matter how out of place or difficult to get it actually was. You could argue that people should just post it in moderation but then you realize we're talking about lmao pics. They don't understand the concept and drive anything that gets remotely popular into the ground as hard as they can and as quickly as they can manage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events

17. Post #4977
    goatse
    January 2006
    27,987 Posts
    I don't honestly visit other forums, but glad our mod team isn't like some other places like Neogaf
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Funny Funny x 2 (list)

18. Post #4978
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    9,264 Posts
    Problem was when the fish took notice and became rowdy
    That was the best part though!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events

19. Post #4979
    Yep, I'm a brony sperg. Dealwithit.
    March 2013
    1,022 Posts
    That was the best part though!
    Agreed. Bring back RC ratings!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #4980
    Facepunch's #1 Huskybutt
    July 2011
    3,667 Posts
    Agreed. Bring back RC ratings!
    Could have a "community pardon" rating so people can reality check a ban, after all bans are for people who need a timeout for the sake of the community, it wouldn't take many logical steps to prove that the community should also be able to decide if something is fine. Its just the other end of the "report post" stick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United Kingdom Show Events

21. Post #4981
    The Doctor Is In
    September 2009
    20,012 Posts
    Pretty sure we established that ratings in the RC aren't coming back because they validate a lot of really dumb posters when they see those little funny ratings. It's just kind of a pain.

Could have a "community pardon" rating so people can reality check a ban, after all bans are for people who need a timeout for the sake of the community, it wouldn't take many logical steps to prove that the community should also be able to decide if something is fine. Its just the other end of the "report post" stick.
    I mean you guys are free to use this thread to ask for justification for a ban if you don't think it's necessary. I can't guarantee it'll always result in an unbanning, but it can provide insight for mods and maybe lead to a discussion if it's serious enough.

Just keep in mind that there are some things we'll always ban for, regardless of how cool or nice or well known the user is. That wouldn't be a valid reason for an unbanning.

Edited:

Asking here is better than just having a "community pardon" rating, because we don't get an explanation for that. There has to be a viable reason for us to reconsider a ban. Not just "enough people think they should be unbanned".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #4982
    June 2016
    415 Posts
    Postal already made a Good point about RC Ratings last time

No, you shouldn't. You schmucks don't get that all you do is make certain banned idiots realize they have an audience with those ratings. I've seen people spend a year posting their stories and ~whacky jokes~ just to see how many funny ratings they could get. Not only that, but golds spamming mod posts with disagrees and dumbs and the banned user with agrees and winners doesn't really help us much in trying to convince them they did something wrong and not us. Too many issues with it that we then had to deal with.

You guys are free to continue arguing about the decision if you want, but at the end of the day it's our call since we're the ones that had to deal with it. Shits staying ~gone~
    The most important bit:

Not only that, but golds spamming mod posts with disagrees and dumbs and the banned user with agrees and winners doesn't really help us much in trying to convince them they did something wrong and not us.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #4983
    The Colombian Dragon of Facepunch
    March 2013
    3,494 Posts
    You should only enable the Dumb rating in RC tbh.....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Colombia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #4984
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    14,549 Posts
    You should only enable the Dumb rating in RC tbh.....
    no, they should only enable dumb ratings on your posts

Edited:

actually, jokes aside, lets just enable dumbs in polidicks instead of stars
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Zing Zing x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

25. Post #4985
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    2,487 Posts
    Would be a compromise if you hide ratings from banned users, but then you still the issue of people rating mods dumb and such. I guess it wouldn't be much different than bringing such posts up in here though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Canada Show Events

26. Post #4986
    June 2016
    415 Posts
    How about we make it so Mods can't be rated
    Or just keep the ratings removed like they are
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

27. Post #4987
    :thinking:
    March 2010
    11,241 Posts
    How about we make it so Mods can't be rated
    Or just keep the ratings removed like they are
    Pretty sure we established that ratings in the RC aren't coming back because they validate a lot of really dumb posters when they see those little funny ratings. It's just kind of a pain.
    People'll go cheeky over ratings in the RC no matter what. Not worth the hassle for the mod team.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #4988
    goatse
    January 2006
    27,987 Posts
    y u close thread
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)