1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    6,158 Posts
    Terrorists win I guess? That's exactly what they wanted no? What a frigging dumbass, I wonder if he knows he's doing exactly what the people he hates wanted him to do. That's assuming he was targeting muslims for political reasons. And if he was I'd definetly call him a terrorist.

Also on Polish news radio they said when he came out of the car angry mob wanted to beat him up but an imam saved him. That's awesome if true.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Safari Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    Steins;Gate SUCKS
    October 2008
    5,674 Posts
    Well he was shouting "kill me" according to twitter

3. Post #43
    Dennab
    June 2017
    588 Posts
    Terrorists win I guess? That's exactly what they wanted no? What a frigging dumbass, I wonder if he knows he's doing exactly what the people he hates wanted him to do. That's assuming he was targeting muslims for political reasons. And if he was I'd definetly call him a terrorist.

Also on Polish news radio they said when he came out of the car angry mob wanted to beat him up but an imam saved him. That's awesome if true.
    How ironic would it be to get saved by an iman after killing a bunch of muslims.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    September 2008
    1,099 Posts
    Confirmed, this is being treated as a potential terrorist attack

Edited:

According to the latest reports, the driver got out of the van shouting "I want to kill all Muslims" and was then grabbed by multiple people who held him until the police arrived
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 20Funny Funny x 2 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    3,912 Posts
    I remember the days when this kind of thing was just labelled as an accident, and that's what it was

today everything has to be treated like a terrorist attack because it may just be, it's disheartening
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #46
    February 2007
    1,066 Posts
    I remember the days when this kind of thing was just labelled as an accident, and that's what it was

today everything has to be treated like a terrorist attack because it may just be, it's disheartening
    This is actually a terror attack though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #47

June 2016
    1,195 Posts
    The more I see these attacks, the less words I have, honestly.

And the problem is, that you can't actually win against these retarded pricks. Anyone can snap any day, just get his car and ram himself into a crowd.

It's surprising that this terror tactic didn't happen sooner, but once someone set the trend - it's widespread. Meh.

8. Post #48
    Confirmed, this is being treated as a potential terrorist attack

Edited:

According to the latest reports, the driver got out of the van shouting "I want to kill all Muslims" and was then grabbed by multiple people who held him until the police arrived
    wow

what the hell is wrong with him, what causes someone to do this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

9. Post #49
    Dennab
    March 2007
    710 Posts
    Or just make everyone use self driving cars when it gets around to actually being useful.
    All cars don't need to be self driving, but I don't see why specifically lender cars shouldn't be, soon.

Edited:

And you don't need a full self driving package to prevent this either - collision prevention systems have been a separate deal for a quite a while and they look very well. Again, lender cars specifically could be required to be fitted with that.

A cheaper and simpler half-solution would be to use the GPS all lender cars already have so the owner can track them and putting an automatic speed limiter that would kick in in high population density areas - you can still easily kill a person going just 50km/h but at least it's a bit easier to dodge.

10. Post #50
    September 2008
    1,099 Posts

It's sad that this terrorist tactic has risen so quickly that we've gotten to the point where we hear about an incident like this and we know it's intentional. I think about the Glasgow crash, which was only in 2014, but at the time I don't think there was even a moment's thought given to the idea that this could be a terrorist attack
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    VENEZOLANO
    August 2006
    5,526 Posts
    A cheaper and simpler half-solution would be to use the GPS all lender cars already have so the owner can track them and putting an automatic speed limiter that would kick in in high population density areas - you can still easily kill a person going just 50km/h but at least it's a bit easier to dodge.
    Most cars used in these types of attacks are stolen, not lent, usually within the same day of the attack too. Unless there was a speed limiter built into all cars that would kick in on pedestrian heavy areas, that wouldn't really work.

12. Post #52
    February 2016
    555 Posts
    The ammount of people I see justifying this on Facebook fucking sickens me to the core
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 8Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    10,731 Posts
    The ammount of people I see justifying this on Facebook fucking sickens me to the core
    What kind of people are you friends with? I'm friends with hundreds of people on the right and haven't seen a single person justifying it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #54
    February 2016
    555 Posts
    What kind of people are you friends with? I'm friends with hundreds of people on the right and haven't seen a single person justifying it.
    No definitely not any of my friends. Just reading though the comments on news stories like the BBC's post about it and seeing how people are saying stuff like "it was about time someone got revenge".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    10,615 Posts
    No definitely not any of my friends. Just reading though the comments on news stories like the BBC's post about it and seeing how people are saying stuff like "it was about time someone got revenge".
    This sort of shit makes me angry, and quite honestly, people need to stop behaving this way. This guy was a bigoted piece of shit who somehow got the idea that running over a bunch of Muslims who had nothing to do with terror was somehow going to make him feel better or something. It's come to the point where morons like this just want excuses to lash out thinking they're doing something right, when in reality all it is, is simply a crime, hurting and killing innocents who have nothing to do with this shit.

If he actually had any balls, he'd sign up to fight ISIS to show how courageous he is, but all he is is some sad sack with most likely serious mental issues.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome India Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #56
    September 2008
    1,099 Posts
    Listening to the radio over the past four months, I've heard them hold a minute's silence for Westminster, a minute's silence for Manchester, a minute's silence for London Bridge, and just a few moments ago there was a minute's silence for Grenfell Tower while they must already be planning a minute's silence for Finsbury Park
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,630 Posts
    Yeah, the amount of shit ive seen describing the attack as "Hitting back!" against Muslims actually boils my piss.

Why would you even put something like that on social media? gg on being an apologist for terrorism where everyone can see!.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #58
    Steins;Gate SUCKS
    October 2008
    5,674 Posts
    Yeah, the amount of shit ive seen describing the attack as "Hitting back!" against Muslims actually boils my piss.

Why would you even put something like that on social media? gg on being an apologist for terrorism where everyone can see!.
    Lowest common denominator and all that

19. Post #59
    September 2008
    1,099 Posts

They could probably be prosecuted for that if they're promoting or encouraging terrorism. There's a site for reporting it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    16,704 Posts
    Daily Mail keeping things classy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Firefox Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 19 (list)

21. Post #61
    February 2016
    555 Posts

People don't understand that justifying any of these attacks as "hitting back" at "the other side" just justifies further attacks and is the exact same argument islamic terrorists are using

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    3,126 Posts
    Daily Mail keeping things classy.
    They aren't exactly wrong, as Abu_Hamza_al-Masri is serving a life sentence in jail on terrorism charges. Calling Abu Hamza's rhetoric hateful is putting it very, very lightly. Glad the piece of shit is in jail for the rest of the garbage pile that is his life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13Agree Agree x 5 (list)

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    14,809 Posts
    They're absolutely correct about the cleric, however it seems fairly irrelevant to the attack.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,896 Posts
    I guess it could be his reason for targeting that specific mosque but it doesn't change the fact that he targeted innocent people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    22,457 Posts
    They aren't exactly wrong, as Abu_Hamza_al-Masri is serving a life sentence in jail on terrorism charges. Calling Abu Hamza's rhetoric hateful is putting it very, very lightly. Glad the piece of shit is in jail for the rest of the garbage pile that is his life.
    Abu Hamza's mosque was shut down 14 years ago, and was reclaimed by people specifically brought in by the police to turn it around. we might as well be talking about a different building for how relevant it is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 19Informative x 3Disagree x 1Zing x 1Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #66
    September 2008
    1,099 Posts
    That headline seeks to subliminally establish a dog whistle connection between the victims and Abu Hamza, like if you described the Westminster attack as "man drives van into pedestrians at former rallying site for the far-right EDL"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 33 (list)

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,630 Posts
    Yeah it's pretty obvious what they are trying to do with that headline.

Absolute scumbags.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 22Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    17,860 Posts
    Wow, are you telling me that the Daily Mail caters to islamophobes and racists even in the face of a terror attack? Say it ain't so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

29. Post #69
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,168 Posts
    They could probably be prosecuted for that if they're promoting or encouraging terrorism. There's a site for reporting it
    The thing is these people don't believe they're encouraging/promoting terrorism and you know that too, you just want to see these people prosecuted because you strongly disagree with their views. Sure you can report them if you want, but they won't get prosecuted unless there's proof that they may be involved or become involved with terrorism. These people are still allowed freedom of speech, even if what they're saying is wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Safari United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,013 Posts
    But remember guys, it's not terrorism if the person isn't brown. I'm 100% convinced that there will be no mention of the word "Terrorism" from the bulk of newspapers, even though it's exactly that. I'm probably going to get banned for that first sentence, but it's true. The guy won't be seen as a terrorist, just as someone who is "mentally ill" or "has many problems in his life", while the media casually forgets that the same things apply to Islamic terrorists too.

That is all, of course, based on the fact that the guy seems to have done this as some sort of revenge act, which makes sense given the specific target that was hit.

(User was banned for this post ("Shitposting" - Bradyns))
    I'm glad this sort of rhetoric was proven wrong, to say the least.

I don't know why people would consider it in the UK anyway, we've been calling white people terrorists for nearly a hundred years (the IRA).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

31. Post #71
    March 2013
    585 Posts
    I'm baffled by the fact that revenge attacks against innocent muslims are happening in europe. This is the one major thing that can cause a massive divide between the muslim community and the natives. If this continues, we might not see the end of these revenge attacks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Israel Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    7,624 Posts
    I'm baffled by the fact that revenge attacks against innocent muslims are happening in europe. This is the one major thing that can cause a massive divide between the muslim community and the natives. If this continues, we might not see the end of these revenge attacks.
    Would be pretty tragic for religious extremists like IS and Britain First to get their precious holy war.

33. Post #73
    Gold Member

February 2005
    3,379 Posts
    Seen a few people picking on the fact that he's going to be mentally assessed and how its going to be used to excuse him etc.

They did specifically report he is going to be mentally assessed, my question is do they assess all people who commit terrorist acts and are caught? Surely there was some reason for them to think he needed assessment other than a conspiracy to pass off an attack by a white man as insanity.

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    7,624 Posts
    Seen a few people picking on the fact that he's going to be mentally assessed and how its going to be used to excuse him etc.

They did specifically report he is going to be mentally assessed, my question is do they assess all people who commit terrorist acts and are caught? Surely there was some reason for them to think he needed assessment other than a conspiracy to pass off an attack by a white man as insanity.
    Being mentally unsound, racist and a terrorist aren't mutually exclusive

The problem is inconsistency. When its a muslim terrorist with clear mental issues its often primarily attributed to his religion (or by the more radical peeps, his ethnicity).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

35. Post #75
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    1,071 Posts
    If two opposing extremist groups start to "compete" I fear they will gain support in their targeted recruitment groups under the guise of protecting "their own". Hopefully we will see the end of these attacks in the future, and hopefully through social progress and not authoritarian repression.

36. Post #76
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    16,612 Posts

Well realistically it probably was, someone taking revenge against the muslims

Edited:

Well as we've seen with a lot of recent terror attacks, all it takes is one man in a van to pull one off. It's not all that surprising that we've finally seen one.

37. Post #77
    January 2012
    1,946 Posts
    Feels like no one is talking about this and all i see on Facebook is people excusing the incident by bashing on Islam even more lol.

It goes like this "Islam is a destructive ideology who is bent on taking the world under it's command BUT, this is not how you fight Islamism. You never use violence because there are other ways to fight the hateful ideology"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #78
    September 2008
    1,099 Posts
    Apparently the police classified this as a terrorist incident within 8 minutes, so while we were discussing it on the first page, it had already happened. The suspect has now been arrested for terror offences on top of his initial arrest for attempted murder

http://news.met.police.uk/news/incid...f0c3be1cf5474c

Also, the only death so far was apparently from a man who had collapsed before the attack. He was receiving first aid when the van hit him and those gathered around him
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7 (list)

39. Post #79
    Dennab
    March 2007
    710 Posts
    Also, the only death so far was apparently from a man who had collapsed before the attack. He was receiving first aid when the van hit him and those gathered around him
    Wow talk about having a bad day
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Firefox Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #80
    September 2008
    1,099 Posts
    As far as I can see, every major newspaper is carrying the story on its front page tomorrow and calling it a terrorist attack, including the tabloids

The sole exception is the Daily Express, which sort of implies it by saying that it 'mirrored' the Westminster and London Bridge attacks, but doesn't actually come out and say it

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)