1. Post #4521
    Lemons in Bulk
    May 2005
    6,742 Posts
    Tell them to get good equipment, shouldn't go to complete shit when it rains at that ghz
    We're waiting for them to dig up all the roads and lay fibre. Knowing Shaw Cable its going to be FTTN and cable to the premises.

2. Post #4522
    June 2014
    1,217 Posts
    What the fuck kind of a cooler is that?
    Just a massive shroud attached to a regular heat sink
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Firefox United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #4523
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,072 Posts
    My laptop has 2 USB-C and 2 mini DP but also has two USB-A and an HDMI for old stuff, I think it's a nice balance between both.

I'll likely get a USB-B to USB-C cable for my (eventual) DAC so I can swap it between the PC, laptop, and phone with the same cable.

I don't like how USB-B 2 and USB-B 3 are different connectors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4524
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,656 Posts
    There are way, way, way too many USB-A devices out there for that to work. People will just keep using USB-A because all of their devices are USB-A. And if people keep using and buying USB-A devices, USB-C devices are never going to get made.

If you get rid of the USB-A port, it encourages people to actually replace their old shit with something new that has a native USB-C connection. It creates a market for manufacturers to start making USB-C devices for.
    I feel like the argument we're having is direct changeover vs phased/gradual conversion in the tech business space. And my personal philosophy has always been phased/gradual conversion, where as most people here seem to go for direct changeover.

I can see what your saying, the market won't grow if people aren't forced into it, but USB-C is a great standard, the market will grow, just not as quickly as you'd like it to, but the advantage is that with a gradual change, it'll make it seem like the macBooks are improving in the eyes of Joe Everyday and that the products are getting better. There's also the question of cost to the consumer, having to buy all those expensive adapter which may not be required in the future really adds up. I also think they've sort of put themselves in a difficult situation with a heap of their products using lighting connectors. I don't know why Apple don't just release a GPU in a box for thunderbolt 3 and call it something Applish, the Apple iPro/iDesign or something.

5. Post #4525
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,180 Posts
    Actually no illiterate actually needs/wants/cares USB-C to happen. Their flash drives work just fine with USB-2. USB-A to micro charger cables work just fine. It's gonna be just "good enough" with USB-A for a while.

No one I saw bothers differentiating between quickcharge, 3.1 and 2 ports anyway. They actually don't care to know if they're different. Maybe it'll change when mobile devices fully drop micro usb for C

6. Post #4526
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,656 Posts
    Well it doesn't break as easily as microB does and it's reversible, so if they just replace all the microB stuff with type-C, it would be easy to justify replacing everything eventually and again thunderbolt with it's daisy chaining could be an intensive.

7. Post #4527
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,791 Posts
    We're waiting for them to dig up all the roads and lay fibre. Knowing Shaw Cable its going to be FTTN and cable to the premises.
    Still, 10ggz shouldn't be that shitty

8. Post #4528
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    22,615 Posts
    I feel like the argument we're having is direct changeover vs phased/gradual conversion in the tech business space. And my personal philosophy has always been phased/gradual conversion, where as most people here seem to go for direct changeover.

I can see what your saying, the market won't grow if people aren't forced into it, but USB-C is a great standard, the market will grow, just not as quickly as you'd like it to, but the advantage is that with a gradual change, it'll make it seem like the macBooks are improving in the eyes of Joe Everyday and that the products are getting better. There's also the question of cost to the consumer, having to buy all those expensive adapter which may not be required in the future really adds up. I also think they've sort of put themselves in a difficult situation with a heap of their products using lighting connectors. I don't know why Apple don't just release a GPU in a box for thunderbolt 3 and call it something Applish, the Apple iPro/iDesign or something.
    but the great features of type-c aren't super user facing

better to just pull the bandage off then slowly migrate to it and then down the road people have to buy ridiculously expensive adapters because "it worked 3 years ago"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #4529
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,928 Posts
    That's why I just use it to connect DisplayPort devices to other DisplayPort devices. All of the computers I have right now, save a positively ancient piece of crap, have DP or Mini-DP out. And for that, it's basically the best connector around.
    I use 2 DisplayPort to HDMI adapters because that's how I can get my HDMI Asus crap TN panel monitors to work. I probably should have spent the extra money to get better displays but whatever. I've also ran into my fair share of completely shit DP to whatever adapters. I still have miniDP to whatever adapters laying around.

10. Post #4530
    Lemons in Bulk
    May 2005
    6,742 Posts
    Still, 10ggz shouldn't be that shitty
    Its specifically this past month of rain that has severely degraded the quality and speed of the internet. Something is definitely wrong because my internet drops to 2Mbps when its raining and most of the Shaw customers throughout town report similar 75% drops in speed.

I should setup a SNMP database and compare my weather station's rainfall metrics to the bandwidth reported by my router over time.

11. Post #4531
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    8,940 Posts
    Besides literally all you need is a dock like this and you're good to go for 99% of use cases and it barely (if at all) affects the mobility of the MBP.
    Are you seriously trying to tell me having something that massive loosely attached on the side of your laptop isn't going to affect mobility? You need to search up the dimension and realize how big that thing is.

No matter what your argument for having that thing is, it's another piece of hardware you'll have to carry around with you. For people that wants to use laptop pouches and similar type of light carrying packs, this is an absolute nuisance.

Let's not forget that if you accidentally leave that thing behind and needs one of the common peripheral ports, you're fucked.

12. Post #4532
    Worth noting USB-C also has HDMI alt mode. In the future we might be seeing cheap laptops with just USB-C
    Depends on the C.

Edited:

So many idiots try use their phone charger for their laptop and I think Apple's crazy replacement of everything port with type-c absolutely crazy. By the time type-c becomes the standard for everything, those laptops will completely obsolete, they'd have been better off adding 2 type-c ports and keeping the USB-A, HDMI and card reader, then phasing out the other ports generation by generation, while encouraging manufacturers to make more USB-C stuff for them over the next few years.

Honestly, I think Apple would be better off if Steve Wozniak were in charge of it.
    Apple's mistake was just not having enough USB C in general. One thing to have a breakout box to connect various things, it's another to need a hub to have more than a single wired device. Besides that, Apple being an entirely contained ecosystem, it works in their favour to set the trend with USB C only to really get people to move to it. Because as it stands, regardless of the connector, Apple Users have to buy Apple specific accessories and products. Now they're seeding a generation of USBC accessories.

The issue is C is so fucking vague when you dial into it, it's a nightmare to keep track of. One thing I think should have happened was TB3 should have stayed its own reversible port.