1. Post #881
    Sock Queen
    August 2008
    15,885 Posts
    Because up until now they all still run fine. My mistake was not letting my server run long enough to finish it's full pool repairs. If anything, they are so far past infant failure it's crazy. Since all of them are from 2012.

I also have HDsentinel on it, but I haven't yet activated it even though I have a paid version. I can have it email me if there is an error of somekind, should have done that.
    Well. Time to get on setting it up. Don't make the same mistakes twice.

2. Post #882
    March 2014
    1,026 Posts
    Modifying the existing windows aero arrows is a bitch, but I finally managed to get an orange cursor that looks like an aero arrow. No more getting lost in whitespace.

3. Post #883
    With my new iFixIt Pro toolkit, I have all the right sizes for taking apart harddrives. The bits are really nice too. All my old ones got so bent.

4. Post #884
    A lesson to companies: write good documentation, and actually distribute it.

I'm pretty sure I've cost this company a thousand bucks or so dealing with my problems, all of which could have been solved by just giving me the documentation I needed in the first place. But no, they apparently can't be assed to just send me the license keys that we paid for without filing a ticket, and then there was an installation gotcha that neither the specialized installation technician nor support knew about, and they had to escalate all the way back to their dev team to tell us "oh, you also have to paste another license key into a file that we've never told you about".

I suspect this company might make more money from support than they do from hardware or licensing. And when you consider that they're selling a Celeron-powered computer for four digits, and that file of license keys to enable different features is 242 lines just on my test setup, that means a lot of money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)

5. Post #885
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    29,220 Posts

I'm pretty sure I've cost this company a thousand bucks or so dealing with my problems, all of which could have been solved by just giving me the documentation I needed in the first place. But no, they apparently can't be assed to just send me the license keys that we paid for without filing a ticket, and then there was an installation gotcha that neither the specialized installation technician nor support knew about, and they had to escalate all the way back to their dev team to tell us "oh, you also have to paste another license key into a file that we've never told you about".

I suspect this company might make more money from support than they do from hardware or licensing. And when you consider that they're selling a Celeron-powered computer for four digits, and that file of license keys to enable different features is 242 lines just on my test setup, that means a lot of money.
    That's unfortunately pretty common I think.

Company sells shitty enterprise solution for way too much money, then ropes in client to stay and continues making money from exorbitant support costs. Yep, sounds like enterprise software to me.

Edited:

Also update on my "dead" PS4: Didn't have the HDMI cable plugged into the console. Suspect a cat is responsible. PS4 is fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #886
    known terrorist
    April 2011
    8,736 Posts

Documentation sucks to write also tbh a thousand bucks is like a nickel in terms of most businesses

7. Post #887
    Documentation sucks to write also tbh a thousand bucks is like a nickel in terms of most businesses
    A thousand bucks, multiplied by every person who develops against their system, adds up. I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper to give people some basic installation instructions, rather than escalate a ticket all the way back to the dev team, just to say "hey, stick this random string in this random file and it will work".

But yes, I know how much writing documentation sucks. I'm doing it right now.

(And I'm happy about it, because that means this fucking project is almost fucking over.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #888
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    6,804 Posts
    Ofuck ya I fixed my Macintosh SE/30. The video was fucked but now it's in perfect working order.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #889
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    19,079 Posts
    Sweet, new AMD drivers.

10. Post #890
    Have done a scan over most of my entire pool. Looks like it's about 8 videos, and they were corrupted since about June but they were also extremely old videos, like 2014. So I easily pulled from backups. I now learned a lot about Event Viewer. it was complaining about the dead ST3000DM001 for months saying it had bad blocks even though HD Sentinal said nothing.

It also mentioned my LSI controller has been freaking out since february. Lots of RAID port 1 being reset. Might need to replace it or check the cables.

So I'm going to look into having it make a report with a filter for service name "ReFS" and dumping it to a document, same for DataIntegrityScan (scrubs), and LSI_RAIDX or whatever the deviceID is.