1. Post #4121
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    8,940 Posts
    This is the worst idea ever.
    Level1tech.
    Sorry I meant to say /g/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Japan Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

2. Post #4122
    You'll never see it coming!
    September 2011
    26,073 Posts
    Amiga is that you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #4123
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    1,412 Posts
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...lay_technology

do you guys have a favorite type of display

these are the nicest to come across
    I like good old 7-segment LED displays. I've been wanting to get some and make a cool racing sim steering wheel display similar to this.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Vivaldi United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4124

VFDs are neat. They're like old LCDs but with the warmth of nixie tubes or neon.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

5. Post #4125
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,562 Posts
    Hey guess who I am

"ᵖˢˢᵗ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᶜᵒᵐᵖᵘᵗᵉʳ ᶦˢ ᵍᵒᶦᶰᵍ ᵗᵒ ʳᵉˢᵗᵃʳᵗ ᶦᶰ ⁵ ᵐᶦᶰᵘᵗᵉˢ ᶠᵒʳ ᵘᵖᵈᵃᵗᵉˢ ʷʰᵉᵗʰᵉʳ ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ᶜᵘʳʳᵉᶰᵗᶫʸ ᵘˢᶦᶰᵍ ᶦᵗ ᵒʳ ᶰᵒᵗ"

Edited:

"ᵃᶫˢᵒ ʷᵉ'ʳᵉ ᶰᵒᵗ ᵍᵒᶦᶰᵍ ᵗᵒ ᵐᵃᵏᵉ ᵗʰᶦˢ ᵃᵖᵖᵃʳᵉᶰᵗ, ᶦᶠ ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ᵐᵃʸᵇᵉ ᶦᶰ ᵗʰᵉ ᵐᶦᵈᵈᶫᵉ ᵒᶠ ᵃ ᵍᵃᵐᵉ ᵒᶠ ᵒᵛᵉʳʷᵃᵗᶜʰ ᵒʳ ˢᵒᵐᵉᵗʰᶦᶰᵍ ᵗʰᵉ ᶰᵒᵗᶦᶠᶦᶜᵃᵗᶦᵒᶰ ᵇᵒˣ ᶦˢ ʲᵘˢᵗ ᵍᵒᶦᶰᵍ ᵗᵒ ᵃᵖᵖᵉᵃʳ ᵘᶰᵈᵉʳᶰᵉᵃᵗʰ ᵃᶰᵈ ʸᵒᵘ'ᶫᶫ ᵒᶰᶫʸ ᶠᶦᶰᵈ ᵒᵘᵗ ʷʰᵉᶰ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᶜᵒᵐᵖᵘᵗᵉʳ ᵗᵘʳᶰˢ ᵒᶠᶠ"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15 (list)

6. Post #4126
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    1,412 Posts
    This display is cool too

7. Post #4127

Lit 🔥 Member

February 2011
    21,389 Posts
    I feel like a better solution is to not get mad at video games. I'm 24 years old and getting married in 2 days, I have no excuse for having such awful behavior.
    unironically thought you were 16. then i read your username and said "wait hasnt this guy been around forever" and then i read you're getting married

take a chill pill my dude. direct your rage towards your [FORCEFULLY QUIT APPLICATION] shortcut instead
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Late Late x 2 (list)

8. Post #4128
    No title or gold masterrace, whoops.
    July 2012
    9,150 Posts
    Hey guess who I am

"ᵖˢˢᵗ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᶜᵒᵐᵖᵘᵗᵉʳ ᶦˢ ᵍᵒᶦᶰᵍ ᵗᵒ ʳᵉˢᵗᵃʳᵗ ᶦᶰ ⁵ ᵐᶦᶰᵘᵗᵉˢ ᶠᵒʳ ᵘᵖᵈᵃᵗᵉˢ ʷʰᵉᵗʰᵉʳ ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ᶜᵘʳʳᵉᶰᵗᶫʸ ᵘˢᶦᶰᵍ ᶦᵗ ᵒʳ ᶰᵒᵗ"

Edited:

"ᵃᶫˢᵒ ʷᵉ'ʳᵉ ᶰᵒᵗ ᵍᵒᶦᶰᵍ ᵗᵒ ᵐᵃᵏᵉ ᵗʰᶦˢ ᵃᵖᵖᵃʳᵉᶰᵗ, ᶦᶠ ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ᵐᵃʸᵇᵉ ᶦᶰ ᵗʰᵉ ᵐᶦᵈᵈᶫᵉ ᵒᶠ ᵃ ᵍᵃᵐᵉ ᵒᶠ ᵒᵛᵉʳʷᵃᵗᶜʰ ᵒʳ ˢᵒᵐᵉᵗʰᶦᶰᵍ ᵗʰᵉ ᶰᵒᵗᶦᶠᶦᶜᵃᵗᶦᵒᶰ ᵇᵒˣ ᶦˢ ʲᵘˢᵗ ᵍᵒᶦᶰᵍ ᵗᵒ ᵃᵖᵖᵉᵃʳ ᵘᶰᵈᵉʳᶰᵉᵃᵗʰ ᵃᶰᵈ ʸᵒᵘ'ᶫᶫ ᵒᶰᶫʸ ᶠᶦᶰᵈ ᵒᵘᵗ ʷʰᵉᶰ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᶜᵒᵐᵖᵘᵗᵉʳ ᵗᵘʳᶰˢ ᵒᶠᶠ"
    Hey we have this sweet new driver that will make the game you're currently playing even better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

9. Post #4129
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    9,881 Posts

Nixie tubes and VFDs for sure

Edited:

Hey guess who I am

Edited:

I still don't understand how I've somehow been immune to this.
    Literally never had Windows 10 reboot on me unexpectedly even since the early insider previews.
    In fact the only time I come home to a rebooted/updated PC is when I'm running Insider fast ring builds vv

10. Post #4130
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    11,775 Posts
    I just start making stupid noises or nonsense comments when I rage. And then face plant into the recliner to calm down.

Edit: Well I'm clocks.

Edited:

VFDs are neat. They're like old LCDs but with the warmth of nixie tubes or neon.

VFDs are awesome. It's like OLED before there was OLED.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #4131
    🚑 Sarcasm Wambulance 🚑
    January 2009
    14,935 Posts
    When they are new they just have this amazing saturation to them, even OLED can't match that some of the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #4132

Lit 🔥 Member

February 2011
    21,389 Posts

this is awesome and i now need it despite not needing it at all

13. Post #4133
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    11,775 Posts
    Only bad thing is that they age, but amazingly, my father's stereo timer clock is still fairly bright, despite being on for nearly 30 years.

14. Post #4134
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    11,098 Posts
    I still gotta find a use for the two programmable VFDs I got as production samples from Noritake Itron...

15. Post #4135
    Giving Away Games
    December 2009
    3,887 Posts
    Hey guess who I am

Edited:

Reminds me of SGDQ 2016. During the Bioshock run,    the runner replaced the Andrew Ryan cutscenes with a recording of windows 10 rebooting for updates. He and the couch played along like windows 10 was rebooting his computer, until the cutscenes ended and it cut back into the game   

Edited:

I am in love with Nixie tubes, they just look so awesome imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

16. Post #4136
    Gold Member
    October 2012
    270 Posts
    https://clips.twitch.tv/AssiduousWon...tteNotLikeThis

Link for those who wanted to see it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

17. Post #4137
    October 2005
    9,881 Posts
    Reminds me of SGDQ 2016. During the Bioshock run,    the runner replaced the Andrew Ryan cutscenes with a recording of windows 10 rebooting for updates. He and the couch played along like windows 10 was rebooting his computer, until the cutscenes ended and it cut back into the game   

Edited:

I am in love with Nixie tubes, they just look so awesome imo.
    I've been wanting to get myself a nixie clock for ages.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #4138
    December 2008
    6,557 Posts
    i just had an exam where we had to SSH into a VM to do a part of it, and a bunch of people found out about the wall command and started spamming it like fucking twitch chat during the exam
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Safari United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

19. Post #4139

Frosty ❄️ Member

July 2010
    12,515 Posts

Edited:

I still don't understand how I've somehow been immune to this.
    Literally never had Windows 10 reboot on me unexpectedly even since the early insider previews.
    In fact the only time I come home to a rebooted/updated PC is when I'm running Insider fast ring builds vv
    I'm the least immune to it, I don't shut my PC down, just put it in sleep mode so I'll get woken up in the middle of the night by the sound of a jet engine coming from under my desk and tons of lights.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

20. Post #4140
    October 2005
    9,881 Posts
    I'm the least immune to it, I don't shut my PC down, just put it in sleep mode so I'll get woken up in the middle of the night by the sound of a jet engine coming from under my desk and tons of lights.
    Something in Windows keeps my machine waking up every few minutes if I put it to sleep (It says it's my ethernet adapter...) so I just either turn it off or deal with the occasional sound of my hard-drive spinning up at 2 AM.

21. Post #4141
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    19,806 Posts
    WoL is the culprit, so is any other kind of "Wake on x"

22. Post #4142
    October 2005
    9,881 Posts
    WoL is the culprit, so is any other kind of "Wake on x"
    That's turned off everywhere I could find it so...

23. Post #4143
    🥓            🍩            🍗            🍔            🍟            🍕            🍪            🌭            🌮            🍤            🥑            🧀            🍿            🍙            🍣            🍦            🍧            🍮           🍭
    August 2010
    8,584 Posts
    I soldered an aux jack to this dead drive's coil

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 4 (list)

24. Post #4144
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    29,564 Posts
    I soldered an aux jack to this dead drive's coil

Holy fuck that actually works?

25. Post #4145
    🥓            🍩            🍗            🍔            🍟            🍕            🍪            🌭            🌮            🍤            🥑            🧀            🍿            🍙            🍣            🍦            🍧            🍮           🍭
    August 2010
    8,584 Posts
    Holy fuck that actually works?
    Yeah, it's amazingly simple to make a speaker out of a hard drive.

26. Post #4146
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,407 Posts
    I have a lot of footage of a harddrive speaker somewhere on my old HDD but I think I never put it together as it wasn't anything too amazing.

Also went through sine waves and things, that was fun.

Edited:

I think we used an SSTV thing too to transmit a picture with the HDD speaker and then captured it with a laptop.

Guess that'd be a real nice way to make interesting glitch art.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #4147
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,928 Posts
    I know you guys have seen Techmoan's New York 1993 Digital VHS, but here's footage from the same master of American footage from one of the earlier HD-VCRs, a W-VHS which recorded analog component 1035i:
    This is almost exactly what the video off my Canon 60D would look like, but this one doesn't have a shit ton of moire.

28. Post #4148
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    9,454 Posts

Gas Plasma and Vector CRTs are my favorite.

There's just something about vector graphics that raster images can never emulate for me. Anyone who's played an original Asteroids machine can probably relate. The brightness and smoothness is just beautiful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #4149
    This is almost exactly what the video off my Canon 60D would look like, but this one doesn't have a shit ton of moire.
    60D having a 1080p resolution spec is insulting. Glad I moved to a full-sensor readout camera.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #4150
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    19,806 Posts
    That's turned off everywhere I could find it so...
    Intel Computer? because Intel's Management Engine is known for being a big dick in that regard.

31. Post #4151
    October 2005
    9,881 Posts
    Intel Computer? because Intel's Management Engine is known for being a big dick in that regard.
    AMD.

32. Post #4152
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    19,806 Posts
    Well shit, I know AMD has some equivalent of the Intel IME thing, but I got no experience with that.

33. Post #4153

February 2017
    266 Posts
    Hey fellas, thinking of building a new pc and I want to go an uncommon route- Dual CPU Xeons. Is this still feasible with available boards and chips? would it still be able to game well?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #4154
    Hey fellas, thinking of building a new pc and I want to go an uncommon route- Dual CPU Xeons. Is this still feasible with available boards and chips? would it still be able to game well?
    It's doable but there is absolutely no reason for it. Nobody optimizes games for multi-socket, so it would barely be faster than a single i7, while being much more expensive and really limiting your board options.

Source: I gamed on a dual-Xeon computer for five years. I got the machine for free, which is about the only situation where gaming on a dual-Xeon computer is reasonable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

35. Post #4155
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,534 Posts
    Just get a Threadripper and call it a day

Edited:

Honestly going the "uncommon route" with computer stuff in general is usually a bad idea. It'll seem cool on paper but after you're done paying for everything you'll find that it actually kinda sucks ass because no one bothers supporting the uncommon route.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

36. Post #4156
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    8,468 Posts
    This display is cool too

i wish i could play around with stuff like this. in the sad little world that i live in i pretend this is what i'm working on when i dick around in illustrator.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Safari United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #4157
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,656 Posts
    60D having a 1080p resolution spec is insulting. Glad I moved to a full-sensor readout camera.
    If you compare it to the XF300 footage, you can see the 60D is more like a 720p camera with aliasing and moire.

38. Post #4158
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,928 Posts
    yeah I should get a new camera at some point, I was looking at the GH5

39. Post #4159
    I love my GH5, only real downside is the AF. Even after v2.0 firmware it's worse than none. So use it if you're used to cinecameras or you shoot filmically.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #4160
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,928 Posts
    I love my GH5, only real downside is the AF. Even after v2.0 firmware it's worse than none. So use it if you're used to cinecameras or you shoot filmically.
    I manually focus all the time on my 60D but in the past chances I got to use the GH5, I got lazy and used the photo AF before recording and it tends to work really well. Continuous is kinda meh and not having AF in the slow-motion mode was kinda annoying. You can't even pre-focus before recording. The best and fastest AF I've seen in a while was on the Sony a6500, but it had bad battery life, a dim LCD display and Sony lenses aren't that great.