1. Post #161
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    4,974 Posts
    Let's make it even simpler.

If the insane concept of the "Flat Earth" constantly accelerating upwards by 9.8m/s^2 held any truth to it, it would be that we could not have hit light speed by now.

The Flat Earthers age the Earth at around 6,000 years old. To make it funnier, I'll add another 2017 years to make the Earth 8017 Flat Years Old.

The speed of light, C, is (about) 300 million flat meters per second. If Earth has been flatly around for 8,017 years and the planet is constantly increasing in flat speed by 9.8m/s, then we are now moving upwards at an unimpressive 78,566.6 m/s^2.

For reference, this is roughly 0.00026188866% the speed of light.

In order for the Flattards to reach light speed, we'd have to have existed for at least 9.18 x 10^15 seconds which is exactly 291.1 million years of constantly accelerating upwards.

Obviously this isn't the case..but the maths are always interesting to do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny x 6Dumb x 3Winner x 2Disagree x 2Informative x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #162
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    2,036 Posts
    You just multiplied the years by the acceration per second. Missed converting from years to seconds. Sort of a huge error.

You want: 8017[years] * 365[days/year] * 24[hours/day] * 60[minutes/day] * 60[seconds/minute] * 9.81[meters/second^2] = 2.4802045e+12 [meters/second].

That's 8273 times the speed of light.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #163
    November 2013
    3,900 Posts
    "what if orange juice and toothpaste is actually the secret to omnipotence but no one ever bothers to apply it regularly enough to get it"
    I can prove this one wrong because I like the taste and do it regularly. I'm still a loser
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

4. Post #164
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    4,974 Posts
    You just multiplied the years by the acceration per second. Missed converting from years to seconds. Sort of a huge error.

You want: 8017[years] * 365[days/year] * 24[hours/day] * 60[minutes/day] * 60[seconds/minute] * 9.81[meters/second^2] = 2.4802045e+12 [meters/second].

That's 8273 times the speed of light.
    ..it was kind of a joke, because no matter what math you use, no matter how good it looks/sounds, no matter how you manipulate the data - the flat earth model is the dumbest and most illogical, flawed model of the earth that people still talk about.

5. Post #165
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    9,341 Posts
    Isn't the geography is Colorado really flat?

6. Post #166
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    4,974 Posts
    Isn't the geography is Colorado really flat?
    no because the earth curves 7.98 inches downwards per mile away from you (on average) everywhere on earth

alternatively:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #167
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    3,685 Posts
    Why don't they just tie a camera to a balloon and record the footage?

Edited:

Or just go on a round-the-world cruise and track it using a compass. Wait, how do they explain compasses?
    Or even watch one of the SpaceX landings. You can watch these live all the way down and go to the cape and see the stage landing with your own eyes if you want.

8. Post #168
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    6,100 Posts
    Let's make it even simpler.

If the insane concept of the "Flat Earth" constantly accelerating upwards by 9.8m/s^2 held any truth to it, it would be that we could not have hit light speed by now.

The Flat Earthers age the Earth at around 6,000 years old. To make it funnier, I'll add another 2017 years to make the Earth 8017 Flat Years Old.

The speed of light, C, is (about) 300 million flat meters per second. If Earth has been flatly around for 8,017 years and the planet is constantly increasing in flat speed by 9.8m/s, then we are now moving upwards at an unimpressive 78,566.6 m/s^2.

For reference, this is roughly 0.00026188866% the speed of light.

In order for the Flattards to reach light speed, we'd have to have existed for at least 9.18 x 10^15 seconds which is exactly 291.1 million years of constantly accelerating upwards.

Obviously this isn't the case..but the maths are always interesting to do.
    I think someone explained it in an earlier thread that for things near speed of light time slows down proportionally so from our point of view we would never reach the speed of light.
    I'm not saying we're accelerating, just saying simple math doesn't debunk this.

9. Post #169
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    4,974 Posts
    I think someone explained it in an earlier thread that for things near speed of light time slows down proportionally so from our point of view we would never reach the speed of light.
    I'm not saying we're accelerating, just saying simple math doesn't debunk this.
    Due to special relativity, accelerating toward the speed of light causes your perspective of time to be altered. Moving at light speed causes your experience of time to reach zero.

For example, a photon traveling through space from your perspective may travel millions of light years to reach your eye, but from the perspective of the photon it simply was created at Point A and then reached your eyeball (Point B) in an instant.

However because the model of the Flat Earth bears no resemblance to reality it is increasingly difficult to take a mathematical or scientific theorum and apply it to this model with realistic results.

For example the Flat Earth model believes that we are accelerating upwards at 9.8 meters per second squared, and have been for thousands of years. A post above shows exactly how this is impossible as we would have exceeded the speed of light by now.

10. Post #170
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    30,525 Posts
    and go to the cape and see the stage landing with your own eyes if you want.
    naw m8, it's an elaborate digital holographic prop, if you tried to actually approach the """"""""rocket"""""""" hidden Illuminati snipers would shoot you dead with lasers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #171
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    8,560 Posts
    Does anyone have a Louis Theroux documentary based around this? If not, can we petition for one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #172
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    6,688 Posts
    Due to special relativity, accelerating toward the speed of light causes your perspective of time to be altered. Moving at light speed causes your experience of time to reach zero.

For example, a photon traveling through space from your perspective may travel millions of light years to reach your eye, but from the perspective of the photon it simply was created at Point A and then reached your eyeball (Point B) in an instant.

However because the model of the Flat Earth bears no resemblance to reality it is increasingly difficult to take a mathematical or scientific theorum and apply it to this model with realistic results.

For example the Flat Earth model believes that we are accelerating upwards at 9.8 meters per second squared, and have been for thousands of years. A post above shows exactly how this is impossible as we would have exceeded the speed of light by now.
    Due to that very same thing, object could accelerate infinitely (from objects point's of view), object's own second just becomes longer until it approaches to infinity comparing to observer's second. Out of interest, does someone have calculation how close of light speed that earth would be if time dilation is taking into account?

And in that case, i think, that earth/whole solar system collapsing into black hole would be an another issue