1. Post #1
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    16,659 Posts
    Source
    Frustrated by delayed promises from the U.S. military for citizenship, and in fear of the Islamic State if he were deported back to Iraq, Ranj Rafeeq has given up the American Dream for a Canadian one.

Rafeeq was eager as a teenager to translate for U.S. troops stationed in his home town of Kirkuk in 2005. He immigrated to Portland, Ore., to study seven years later, hoping to don an Army uniform after earning his graduate degree in civil engineering.

He signed an enlistment contract in January 2016, with a training date set in September.

“I loved American soldiers. It was my dream to be a part of them,” Rafeeq, now 29, told The Washington Post.

But Rafeeq’s plans to serve imploded as the Pentagon’s program, designed to leverage medical and language skills of immigrants in exchange for fast-tracked citizenship, was log-jammed with additional security measures for recruits last fall, stressing an already overburdened screening process.

The program was put on hold in September 2016 — just as he was scheduled to report for training — sparking fear in Rafeeq and across the recruit population that their path to citizenship would abruptly end.

Then he received a letter from Kurdish officials warning of sweeps targeting Kurds for deportation and watched as news reports of the program’s struggles mounted.

Rafeeq’s student visa was set to expire on Aug. 1. He faced a decision: wait for the Pentagon’s bureaucracy to untangle itself as the Trump administration seeks to expand deportation powers, or flee.

He chose to flee. On June 11, Rafeeq went to Vancouver to apply for asylum in Canada. His biggest fear with deportation is the chance that Islamic State militants would prize his capture if they uncovered his attempt to enlist.

“I can’t go back to Kirkuk,” he said. “They would kill me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Vivaldi Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 32 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,953 Posts
    In addition, this is a great article and timeline that talks about the shitty way America handled the situation with translators and other people who risked their lives to help the American troops.

I wouldn't blame him for wanting to bolt - I mean, just look at this shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome India Show Events Starred Starred x 11 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    2,332 Posts
    when i read articles like that i wonder why / when someone didn't yet learn from mistakes of past

cause this happened multiple times already

4. Post #4
    Dennab
    June 2017
    588 Posts
    In addition, this is a great article and timeline that talks about the shitty way America handled the situation with translators and other people who risked their lives to help the American troops.

I wouldn't blame him for wanting to bolt - I mean, just look at this shit.
    I remember this iraqi translator coming into my high school class once telling me how some terrorist shot a fucking RPG towards him and a group of soldiers and barely misses. Then once the terrorist got detained(i dont know how he survived shooting a rpg at marines honestly) he had to translate what he was saying while captured and later in court(?). He told me he was pretty shaken having to be so close to a guy who literally tried to blow him up meme minutes agos.

I don't see why the process for citizenship is so slow, bloated and expensive. You would think it would be quick at the very least for people that risk their lives for the government.

5. Post #5
    It seems like the new American Dream is promising people things you never intended to fulfill in order to trick them into doing what you want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 28 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    12,541 Posts
    Allegedly there were a handful of shitbag terps, but I can't think of any marines or soldiers I've seen be happy that the citizenship process for them takes so long. I'm for strict immigration more or less universally, but for people who put their ass on the line for our dudes, it should be an easy visa and fast track.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Allegedly there were a handful of shitbag terps, but I can't think of any marines or soldiers I've seen be happy that the citizenship process for them takes so long. I'm for strict immigration more or less universally, but for people who put their ass on the line for our dudes, it should be an easy visa and fast track.
    what the military wants and what the govt does are rarely the same

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    21,878 Posts
    I remember this iraqi translator coming into my high school class once telling me how some terrorist shot a fucking RPG towards him and a group of soldiers and barely misses. Then once the terrorist got detained(i dont know how he survived shooting a rpg at marines honestly) he had to translate what he was saying while captured and later in court(?). He told me he was pretty shaken having to be so close to a guy who literally tried to blow him up meme minutes agos.

I don't see why the process for citizenship is so slow, bloated and expensive. You would think it would be quick at the very least for people that risk their lives for the government.
    "we can't let the other guys in for they don't have american values!"

american immigration, without the soviet union, has fallen back to its historic racist and fearmongering traditions, its worked pretty fucking well for the politicians that campaign against letting the foreigners, the others, the strangers, into this country
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

9. Post #9
    October 2016
    1,646 Posts
    It seems like the new American Dream is promising people things you never intended to fulfill in order to trick them into doing what you want.
    That was always the American Dream from the beginning though? Nothing new about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    December 2015
    524 Posts

The government is perfectly content with letting its own citizens suffer after risking their lives in its defence. Don't fool yourself into believing they aren't just as fine doing the same to foreigners.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,953 Posts
    The government is perfectly content with letting its own citizens suffer after risking their lives in its defence. Don't fool yourself into believing they aren't just as fine doing the same to foreigners.
    And then people don't understand how the cycle of hate continues:

a) Join terrorist force, get blown up. Your children see you (as per the terrorist narrative) as protecting your homeland against godless Western infidels seeking to plunder your country for it's resource wealth. They see your death as a martyr for the cause and, when they're old enough and assuming they survive, seek to avenge your death.

b) Ally yourself with the Western forces and work (even during wartime) to put food on your table and under the belief and the promise made that the Western forces will reward you for your help in providing them with valuable field intelligence. Risk your family and yourself being called a traitor by your own countrymen because you hope that they come through on their promise to take you away and give you a better life in their country for your children. Then get lost in the labyrinth of an uncaring bureaucracy and die the death of a traitorous dog by your countrymen. Your children (assuming they're not dead) will see how trusting the Western forces was the worst thing that their beloved father did with the best of his intentions, then will either play out as a) or hold a lifelong hatred for the people who left his father out in the cold after he helped them when they needed it most.

Before enacting any immigration laws, I think it's absolutely pertinent to see what sort of checks and balances are put into place to find the organization responsible for processing these applications accountable for delays and make a system of escalation absolutely transparent. You can't just say "We're letting in 10,000 people", let in a tenth of that number and when questioned about the other 9/10ths throw your hands up and say "What do you want me to do?". These people's lives were on the line for your country and their blood is on your hands when you fail. You'd have wanted to vet them when your own troops roamed around in the field with them and they could've walked them into an ambush to be massacred.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome India Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)