1. Post #41
    June 2012
    509 Posts
    Can't wait to play this map!
    Theres a download in the OP (albeit an older version)

2. Post #42
    February 2017
    257 Posts
    I've been following your progress from day one and it's absolutely brilliant!

3. Post #43
    October 2014
    7 Posts
    Remember that bunker competition that started (and died) like 2.5 years ago? My entry is almost finished

The map features a sprawling underground base and a large snowy exterior with some additional buildings. It is mainly intended for exploration and eye candy, though there are some interactive elements as well. Please take a look and let me know if you find any issues or have any other feedback

Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/37bja3g96c...eta01.zip?dl=1
    Just extract the BSP into GMod's maps directory and you're all set. However, for now, you need to make sure that you have HL2, Episode One and Episode Two installed and mounted. Also note that the trees currently lack collisions and have some wonky placement (see the list below).

To do:
    - Fix some floating snowy geometry above the stairs next to the cargo entrance
    - Fix stray vent decals on the ground next to rocket silos
    - Set up fade distances on props and other entities; maybe additional areaportals
    - Tweak lightmap scales
    - Redo tree model/texture and placement; add collisions
    - Prevent physgun usage on various dynamic entities (doors etc.)
    - Embed content from HL2 episodes
    - Add proper cubemaps
    - Add soundscapes
    - Add 3D skybox
    - Add watchtower next to airstrip (already blocked out)
    - Add building inside ravine (already blocked out; security checkpoint)
    - Add building next to ravine (already blocked out; radio outpost maybe?)
    - Add warning/welcome signs at radar station and base entrances
    - Add the ability to use the teleport
    - Add the ability to perform a rocket engine ignition test and burn everything in the exhaust tunnel to shit
    - Reduce brightness of radome material
    - Reduce brightness of light sprites in mountain tunnel
    - Make mountain tunnel extend into 3D skybox

(Crossed off items are not yet included in the downloadable beta)
    This map is awesome, I will need to start playing it now, can't wait for the official release :D

4. Post #44
    September 2013
    608 Posts
    Have to say, absolutely love what you have done here for this map so far mate!

Also, I have a suggestion.

Where I've circled, would it be an option to put a small observation post/bunker there? I'm putting this out there for a facility of this scale, it would make sense and also up on that cliff, it would allow a small crew up there to keep an eye on what happens on the surface, be either a air drop, hostile forces arriving, observation of a missile launch, etc. and inform base of what is going on.

What do you think?

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    June 2015
    647 Posts
    I found out that this one custom car base does not like the Orb

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

6. Post #46
    December 2007
    400 Posts
    Added some kind of radio/relay station. It's pretty dark here so I'm thinking of increasing the ambient brightness on the light_environment.

Where I've circled, would it be an option to put a small observation post/bunker there? I'm putting this out there for a facility of this scale, it would make sense and also up on that cliff, it would allow a small crew up there to keep an eye on what happens on the surface, be either a air drop, hostile forces arriving, observation of a missile launch, etc. and inform base of what is going on.
    That peak was originally intended for Sick Jumps™ (hence the straight tunnel section leading up to it), but I like that idea. I'll consider it if I don't run into any limits by the time the other buildings are complete
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Netherlands Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 2 (list)

7. Post #47
    January 2012
    5 Posts
    Absolutely beautiful and fantastic with so many clever tricks. Having some knowledge of Hammer myself, this is just insanity.

One recommendation I have to help out builders: There isn't really any good place to build contraptions. Usually, maps have build sheds with big doors so that you always get good FPS in them while you build. And then, you can just open the door and drive out. It would be absolutely fantastic if you could add some build sheds.

Not sure where you could put them though. The base is packed tightly together and I only see one or two spots where you could add some.

EDIT: And thinking about it, there isn't any garages in the base itself, unless I'm blind. Would provide a good excuse for build sheds.

Maybe like this?

Anyways, if you feel like you have the capacity to add them, that would be great. If not, oh well, it's still a fantastic map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Vivaldi Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

8. Post #48
    September 2013
    608 Posts
    That peak was originally intended for Sick Jumps™ (hence the straight tunnel section leading up to it), but I like that idea. I'll consider it if I don't run into any limits by the time the other buildings are complete
    Ah. Had no idea you had something in mind for there (then again, I've never heard of that so what would I know).

That said, a possible way to do this would be to have the outpost built into the cliff face, with the view ports facing out over the valley and a small entrance on the surface away form the peak. That way, you can still use the peak for what you have planned.

If it can't be done, I understand.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    December 2007
    400 Posts
    One recommendation I have to help out builders: There isn't really any good place to build contraptions. Usually, maps have build sheds with big doors so that you always get good FPS in them while you build. And then, you can just open the door and drive out. It would be absolutely fantastic if you could add some build sheds.
    Thanks, I hadn't really considered that. I like the idea of adding some garages there for that purpose, so I'll see if I can do that soon. In the meantime, I've added a hangar next to the airstrip that should also be suitable for building (with closable doors for better performance). Also some more lighting, skybox and fog tweaks:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 4Mapping King Mapping King x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    January 2012
    5 Posts
    Thanks, I hadn't really considered that. I like the idea of adding some garages there for that purpose, so I'll see if I can do that soon. In the meantime, I've added a hangar next to the airstrip that should also be suitable for building (with closable doors for better performance). Also some more lighting, skybox and fog tweaks: -snip-
    Awesome! Thanks I could be of some help.

Looks great, love the skybox a lot.

11. Post #51

May 2016
    55 Posts
    This would make a great map for roleplaying, imagine igniting the rocket engines and you have a raid coming in, and you kill them all just by setting them all on fire with the heat of the rocket itself, heh.

12. Post #52
    May 2013
    6 Posts
    Hello there, this map is a real piece of art ! Can't wait for the new version to come out.

Anyway, do you think you could make the map compatible with StormFox ?

This happens in the console when I load the map with StormFox enabled :
    [StormFox] Scanning mapentities ...
    light_environment Not Found
    env_skypaint OK
    env_fog_controller OK
    shadow_control Not Found
    [StormFox] Not a 3D skybox. Clouds disabled!

13. Post #53
    February 2017
    257 Posts
    Hello there, this map is a real piece of art ! Can't wait for the new version to come out.

Anyway, do you think you could make the map compatible with StormFox ?

This happens in the console when I load the map with StormFox enabled :
    [StormFox] Scanning mapentities ...
    light_environment Not Found
    env_skypaint OK
    env_fog_controller OK
    shadow_control Not Found
    [StormFox] Not a 3D skybox. Clouds disabled!
    The reason because of this is that the actual beta public release has no skybox at all in fact. The actual full release will have a detailed skybox and therefore you should be able to run it with stormfox.

StormFox latches onto the skybox for the fancy day/night effects, but there isn't one so it's searching for an unknown entity. At this moment, you can't run it, but hopefully by the end of this year.

Hope that helps.

I'm glad to see this project is still going, For me, it's a daily read whenever I go to school and I love the news that pops up with it. Hopefully the cartographer will find some way of integrating the EP1/EP2 content without running into steam workshop bylaws, we'll just have to see from there

I'll post up a short fly-through or review video of this map's beta phase very soon, just so people who are away from desks or who want to see before they download are able too, probably I'll do that later this evening.
    Oh and another head's up while I'm at it, I've written a short story for my English Exam Retake based on Boreas and the accounts of a logistics worker who regularly delivered rations there, seemed to get good comments from it. In the meantime, good luck with the map, hopefully you don't run into the painfully-annoying source limits on your way and Happy November.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #54
    May 2013
    6 Posts
    Hey 03C0, any updates /progress report on the map ? You got us hyped haha !

15. Post #55
    December 2007
    400 Posts
    I've been working on the security checkpoint in the canyon:

Sadly, GMod now crashes after loading the fully compiled map because I ran into the texinfos limit. I'll need to convert a bunch of brush geometry into models, which kind of demotivated me. But I'll push through.

Edited:
    Regarding StormFox: The map will have a 3D skybox and a shadow_control entity, but I don't know if I'll change the light_environment into a named entity. I'll need to see what that does to the performance, file size and lighting quality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 2 (list)

16. Post #56
    May 2013
    6 Posts
    Keep it up, this map can really be amazing and I'm already planing on opening a bunker RP on it :p

17. Post #57
    February 2017
    257 Posts
    I hope this map will get as much love as gm_fork does!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #58
    December 2007
    400 Posts
    More progress on the checkpoint:

(Road and trees are placeholders)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Winner Winner x 2Mapping King Mapping King x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    May 2013
    6 Posts
    This is beautiful, How is it going for the textinfo limit, did you convert brushes into models yet?
    Good luck ! Can't wait to see more