1. Post #761

Spooky 💀 Member

July 2010
    2,163 Posts
    I've lurked this thread for a while and I never understood the hate for night elves

I've mained a night elf balance druid since vanilla

It's easy to blame a lot of issues in wow on the elves, but most of the problems are the fault of the high-borne elves pre-sundering, most specifically Queen Azshara.
    Night elves are a splinter faction that was (supposed to be) opposed to magic (they can be mages, which is just as offensive and stupid as draeni warlocks).
    That or it's just memery "I am ANGRY, ANGRY ABOUT ELVES!"

Night elves protect nature, protect the emerald dream, and are very intertwined with the lore.

2. Post #762
    December 2012
    5,296 Posts
    It's easy to blame a lot of issues in wow on the elves, but most of the problems are the fault of the high-borne elves pre-sundering, most specifically Queen Azshara.
    Night elves are a splinter faction that was (supposed to be) opposed to magic (they can be mages, which is just as offensive and stupid as draeni warlocks).

Night elves protect nature, protect the emerald dream, and are very intertwined with the lore.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Mages allowed back into Night Elf society {hence why night elves can be mages} after the Cataclysm?

Also yeah, Night Elves are absolutely my favorite race in WoW lorewise.

3. Post #763

Spooky 💀 Member

July 2010
    2,163 Posts
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Mages allowed back into Night Elf society {hence why night elves can be mages} after the Cataclysm?

Also yeah, Night Elves are absolutely my favorite race in WoW lorewise.
    yea that's true, it was after a lore quest in wrath that it was revealed there was a secret society of high borne elves hidden in diremaul(?), they rejoined nelf society and magic use was "normalized".
    Still doesn't make much sense lorewise since magic is basically the source of every hardship the night elves have experienced.

4. Post #764
    December 2012
    5,296 Posts
    yea that's true, it was after a lore quest in wrath that it was revealed there was a secret society of high borne elves hidden in diremaul(?), they rejoined nelf society and magic use was "normalized".
    Still doesn't make much sense lorewise since magic is basically the source of every hardship the night elves have experienced.
    IIrc, something to do with requiring their help in the fight against the horde because in cataclysm is where garrosh invades ashenvale and other places {correct me if im wrong}

5. Post #765

Spooky 💀 Member

July 2010
    2,163 Posts
    IIrc, something to do with requiring their help in the fight against the horde because in cataclysm is where garrosh invades ashenvale and other places {correct me if im wrong}
    I don't think it states that anywhere specifically but they did rejoin them after Malfurion said it was OK, this really pissed off Maiev, but pissed off the blood elves EVEN MORE.

6. Post #766
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    10,092 Posts
    Frankly I dislike the elves in general, though the subraces look neat enough. I dunno, I'm just kinda tired of them as a fantasy race in general, the only game that's done anything meaningful with them recently to my knowledge is Dragon Age putting them as slaves, but even then they're just the same, haughty, superior acting race. They're just so...i dunno, aggressively generic?

S'why i tend to like the races like Lauren, Troll, and Draenei a lot more.

7. Post #767
    January 2009
    205 Posts
    Frankly I dislike the elves in general, though the subraces look neat enough. I dunno, I'm just kinda tired of them as a fantasy race in general, the only game that's done anything meaningful with them recently to my knowledge is Dragon Age putting them as slaves, but even then they're just the same, haughty, superior acting race. They're just so...i dunno, aggressively generic?

Lauren is a nice lady, I hope he we get her as an allied race.

...Typos aside, I do agree that Blizzard could definitely do more interesting things with all of these elves- especially appearance wise. Would've been cool if at least one of the elf races wasn't so pretty- the redeemed highborne or the void elves could look more like the withered or at least have less elegant hairstyles/facepaint. Something more like Skyrim's Dunmer, maybe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #768
    Gold Member

August 2008
    3,656 Posts
    Lauren is a nice lady, I hope he we get her as an allied race.

...Typos aside, I do agree that Blizzard could definitely do more interesting things with all of these elves- especially appearance wise. Would've been cool if at least one of the elf races wasn't so pretty- the redeemed highborne or the void elves could look more like the withered or at least have less elegant hairstyles/facepaint. Something more like Skyrim's Dunmer, maybe.
    If they were going to do ugly races we would've at least gotten the broken.

The elves we have now are certainly a lot less generic than the dwarfs or humans.

9. Post #769
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    7,514 Posts
    Not getting the Broken was a huge crime to the players.

Instead we get Super Saiyan Draenei.

Edited:

Actually on second thought

Give me the Tuskarr.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #770
    January 2015
    1,478 Posts
    tuskarr could feasibly be a pandaren subrace, especially if (when, tbh) bolvar steps up and starts some shit, we'll have to go to northrend 2: icey boogaloo

11. Post #771
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,708 Posts
    I love my pretty elf races, I'm probably one of the few people genuinely happy to have more elves.

Even so, I completely agree with what you said about the withered and the Dunmer, more specifically I think Blizzard should have had the Nightfallen as a playable race before going off and inventing new kinds of really similar elves. I mean just look at these guys.

Not sure how they could reconcile it with the lore considering the nightborne now have their very own rehab tree- but imo the Nightfallen design is just too cool not to do anything with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

12. Post #772
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    6,556 Posts
    The problem with the Nightfallen is that they are basically semi-sentient and all devolve into mindless husks sooner or later, so the potential for a proper playable race just isn't there lore-wise.

During Legion's Suramar questline you can encounter sentient and talkative Nightfallen, but they either turn feral/catatonic eventually or are such exceptional inviduals that you can't make a case for the race as a whole

13. Post #773
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    3,484 Posts
    Also, you eventually find a 'cure' for the Nightfallen, and I don't see why anyone would want to remain a shadow of their former selves when they can literally just eat a fruit and turn back into a proper Nightborne.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

14. Post #774
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    7,691 Posts
    Also, you eventually find a 'cure' for the Nightfallen, and I don't see why anyone would want to remain a shadow of their former selves when they can literally just eat a fruit and turn back into a proper Nightborne.
    Well hypothetically say that a member of the Alliance was the one to canonically help restore the tree, now their race they strive to be a part of again has pledged allegiance to the enemy of your savior and vows to destroy them and what they are a part of. That could cause some problems. That's just me spitballing in a minute also, I'm sure you could get even deeper into it. There's some wiggle room in there if they really wanted to make it happen. Blizzard said we would be getting more subraces in the future, so nothing is really out of the picture especially if they want to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

15. Post #775
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,708 Posts
    Yeah, pretty much.

As I said the Rehab tree puts up a pretty huge barrier to any new lore that would have the Nightfallen continuing to exist at all, let alone as playable characters.

Which is a shame because their design is great.

The only way I can see them working around it would be to have the surviving higher ranking Nightborne, the ones who actively colluded with the legion prior to the insurrection, be denied the cure as penance.
    They get to continue living in Nightborne society, but at the bottom, forced to survive on manna just like those they once oppressed did.

But that's a shit-load of work and writing for a sub-race most people would find too ugly and out-there to play.

16. Post #776
    The Pain Train's a-comin! Woo woo!
    August 2010
    1,214 Posts
    If they ever add Mag'har orcs, they should definitely add Kurenai broken in the same patch. You can easily make them both tied to Burning Crusade content and rep.

On that same train of thought, it'd be great if they updated the broken of Outland to use the new model.

17. Post #777
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    3,484 Posts
    If they ever add Mag'har orcs, they should definitely add Kurenai broken in the same patch. You can easily make them both tied to Burning Crusade content and rep.

On that same train of thought, it'd be great if they updated the broken of Outland to use the new model.
    Don't worry. They've already said they'll add more Allied Races in the future, maybe even during BfA, and it would be completely ridiculous if they never added in the many orc variants.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #778
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    4,174 Posts
    Don't worry. They've already said they'll add more Allied Races in the future, maybe even during BfA, and it would be completely ridiculous if they never added in the many orc variants.
    This, and we're already getting orcs standing upright, I think that's a very good start

19. Post #779
    September 2017
    10 Posts
    With the allied races coming, it would be neat if they added a non-protruding bones option for the undead (like in the chinese client).

20. Post #780
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    7,691 Posts
    With the allied races coming, it would be neat if they added a non-protruding bones option for the undead (like in the chinese client).
    And on the flipside, I want to be a complete skeleton.

21. Post #781
    🚿💩🚿 just do it in the shower and stomp it down the drain asd 🚿💩🚿
    September 2008
    3,713 Posts
    This, and we're already getting orcs standing upright, I think that's a very good start
    While we're at it let's have the Chinese version of the Undead as a body option
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

22. Post #782
    August 2010
    1,214 Posts
    I was timewalking in Gundrak just now and decided to Heroic Leap to catch up with my group, suddenly I fall straight through the map and end up entirely out of bounds.

This is what happens when you deal with time travel, I tell you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #783
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    22,308 Posts

ya I'm sure the gilneans don't have any resentment with the elves and their tendency to misplace their ludicrisly dangerous magical artifacts

24. Post #784
    August 2010
    1,214 Posts
    ya I'm sure the gilneans don't have any resentment with the elves and their tendency to misplace their ludicrisly dangerous magical artifacts
    Given it was Arugal who caused the worgen outbreak on Gilneas and the night elves were the ones who helped them regain their minds, no I don't think they have any resentment with them. That'd be like being angry at Aggramar over the orc invasion because he created their ancestors' ancestor.

25. Post #785
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    3,376 Posts
    If I have to choose between the mutts and the knife-ears, I'd rather the knife-ears.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #786
    January 2009
    205 Posts
    I was timewalking in Gundrak just now and decided to Heroic Leap to catch up with my group, suddenly I fall straight through the map and end up entirely out of bounds.

This is what happens when you deal with time travel, I tell you.
    Pretty much every warrior fell through Gundrak this past week- myself included. I fell through the floor once after charging a fish and then- on my way back- went through again after leaping at a staircase.

So warriors can leap straight through the earth and yet there's no path available when I'm about to fall to my death.

27. Post #787
    September 2012
    961 Posts
    I did the same as an Outlaw in that one Air Elemental dungeon in Cata that I forgot the name of.
    Used grapplehook on a staircase and flew straight through it.
    I then proceeded to be teleported back to spawn, run back to the staircase for a good 5 minutes and do it again because brain problems.

28. Post #788
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,606 Posts
    Pretty much every warrior fell through Gundrak this past week- myself included. I fell through the floor once after charging a fish and then- on my way back- went through again after leaping at a staircase.

So warriors can leap straight through the earth and yet there's no path available when I'm about to fall to my death.
    Glad I wasn't the only one.

29. Post #789
    August 2010
    1,214 Posts
    According to an interview with GameInformer, BfA will not have raid tier sets.

"With sets and cosmetic appearances we're always trying new things. We're currently not planning on carrying forward traditional raid class sets," says Hazzikostas. "So we're going to have artwise, the gear will be more heavily themed from the place it comes. There's more customization we want to express through the new Azerite system. I think class sets have changed a lot over a years of World of Warcraft. Back in the day, these 8 piece sets you would put together over the course of 6 to 8 months raiding a zone, where now the smaller sets and so many more sources of gear, it's very common to get 2 or 4 pieces at the start of a tier and it actually kind of locks down those character slots, it limits your choices. It feels like more of a drawback than a strength at this point."
    Can't say I have much of an opinion about this, I've never got a set from content considered current.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

30. Post #790
    Gold Member

May 2010
    6,283 Posts

Can't say I have much of an opinion about this, I've never got a set from content considered current.
    I'm all for it personally. It wasn't as bad as legendary ring but it still made it super hard to get into progress groups if you joined late or didn't grind..

31. Post #791
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    10,092 Posts
    Fine by me, really

32. Post #792
    Best Woofie On Facepunch!
    July 2007
    9,531 Posts
    Iím fine with this as long as the gear looks good and isnít a repeat of the WoD lfr gear in design.

33. Post #793
    Loading title...6
    June 2009
    8,313 Posts

Yeah, I don't see a problem with this to be honest. All the raid tier sets do is make me have to turn down slight upgrades to maintain my set bonus. It will be nice not having to juggle what 4 slots I want to have be tier pieces.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #794
    January 2009
    205 Posts
    Yeah, I don't see a problem with this to be honest. All the raid tier sets do is make me have to turn down slight upgrades to maintain my set bonus. It will be nice not having to juggle what 4 slots I want to have be tier prices.
    With a 4 piece set, 2 legendaries, and an artifact weapon, essentially half of my equipment slots are irreplaceable unless I can get lucky with a titanforged tier piece. It's kind of sucky having to vendor or bank tons of potentially useful items to accommodate for this.

35. Post #795
    October 2010
    1,452 Posts
    I love my pretty elf races, I'm probably one of the few people genuinely happy to have more elves.

Even so, I completely agree with what you said about the withered and the Dunmer, more specifically I think Blizzard should have had the Nightfallen as a playable race before going off and inventing new kinds of really similar elves. I mean just look at these guys.

Not sure how they could reconcile it with the lore considering the nightborne now have their very own rehab tree- but imo the Nightfallen design is just too cool not to do anything with.
    There's a chance this might happen - one of the racial icons for the Nightborne at Blizzcon was what seemed to be a Nightborne changing into... something else (it was someone in a hood). Who knows?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #796
    hello im nobody.
    July 2009
    700 Posts

am i too late for the gundrak bug party?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #797
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,708 Posts
    There's a chance this might happen - one of the racial icons for the Nightborne at Blizzcon was what seemed to be a Nightborne changing into... something else (it was someone in a hood). Who knows?
    I Thought that was likely the icon for a nightborne racial.

My guess? it's a racial ability to reveal stealthed enemies in a radius around the caster.

AN ILLUSION? WHAT ARE YOU HIDING?!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #798
    August 2010
    1,214 Posts
    It looks like it's some sort of disguise spell. As in a reference to "AN ILLUSION" etc.

39. Post #799
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    9,778 Posts
    I just hope that tier sets for transmog still exist.

If leather/plate/cloth/mail all get the same looking Azerite armor I'll be super bummed.

40. Post #800
    your lack of title is bothering me
    January 2013
    3,413 Posts
    Well there's still some races they haven't announced yet, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)