1. Post #81
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    3,381 Posts
    Upside down fun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

2. Post #82
    August 2013
    704 Posts
    That's actually so cool, I'd personally darken everything a bit more, give it more of a vignette style effect to focus on the uh...creature. Where'd you get the arm and the webbing? Never seen those before.

3. Post #83
    December 2014
    197 Posts
    I'd tighten up the angle as well, even if you are focusing on the background, you don't have a focal point in said background that justifies the focus on it. Also if you're focusing on the background, why even have characters in the shot?

Also, if I were you I'd organize my SFM layout more efficiently, why don't you have the graph/timeline/motion editor open, or a second viewport? You're just sucking up more resources by having one big viewport. Also, as the scene gets more complex it'd behoove you to organize your models into DAG groups with appropriate names.
    I think I worded it badly, the focus is not exactly on the background, but mostly just trying to add details so it could give the overall messy/overgrown feel, since it is on one of the L4D2 (tho with the amount of time I spent on this I should have made a scenebuild instead :V)

Also except for the dags part, I don't really know how to use SFM's layout so well.

4. Post #84
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    913 Posts
    --snip--

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    3,381 Posts
    That's actually so cool, I'd personally darken everything a bit more, give it more of a vignette style effect to focus on the uh...creature. Where'd you get the arm and the webbing? Never seen those before.
    So is it too bright? I mean, the picture looks reasonably dark on my screen and it looks even darker on my tv, but ever since i got a new monitor i have been wondering if it's tuned correctly, never really bothered to check it though. As for the models, the former is from the l4d's infected pack(it has all sorts of severed limbs, abdomens and whatnot), the latter is just that antlion web you can find in their caves in ep2(it's supposed to hold their eggs or whatever those things are).

6. Post #86
    May 2016
    260 Posts
    I mean really close it in. Hit that with a small FOV. Something like 15-30. You want to get as much focus on the characters as you can

7. Post #87
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    4,299 Posts
    So is it too bright? I mean, the picture looks reasonably dark on my screen and it looks even darker on my tv, but ever since i got a new monitor i have been wondering if it's tuned correctly, never really bothered to check it though. As for the models, the former is from the l4d's infected pack(it has all sorts of severed limbs, abdomens and whatnot), the latter is just that antlion web you can find in their caves in ep2(it's supposed to hold their eggs or whatever those things are).
    I got an extra monitor and i have to say that it's different for every person. On my current laptop there's some darkness and the picture looks good. On the monitor there's less darkness and I can see all of the shadows pretty well and it still looks good.

8. Post #88
    January 2013
    2,298 Posts
    Hello, everyone. With my comeback, I am also back with scenebuilding. What do you think about this one so far? Some tips? My idea is around Half Life 3.

9. Post #89
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,826 Posts
    Isn't that like the fifth time you've posted this? You've asked for feedback before, I even remember you asking for lighting tips and I took the time to draw this back in August 2016:

By this point you should either take the time to finish it or drop it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 6Zing Zing x 1 (list)

10. Post #90
    January 2013
    2,298 Posts
    Well I am sorry, I have not been here almost a year when my dad took my pc so I do not remember that.

11. Post #91
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    913 Posts
    --snip--

12. Post #92
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    2,942 Posts
    I'm stuck on this one, the walls look pretty empty but I don't know what to add on them, it's supposed to fit in a rustic russian house. There's also the posing bothering me, I don't think the pose of the punching dude is energic enough, but at the same time I'm pleased with it.

13. Post #93
    May 2016
    260 Posts
    For the walls you could probably add some wooden shelves for cooking stuff or a tool rack. Maybe a painting or animal skin as well. I'm super digging the punching guy's pose, but I get what you mean when you say it's not as energetic. I think this can be drawn back to the guy being hit, not the guy doing the hitting. The guy being hit has gone too far forward which leads the viewer to look back to how powerful the punch was to justify that movement. See how it looks if his pose is dialed back a bit, and considering the direction of the punching guy's hand, shifted his lean a bit more to the right.

14. Post #94
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,826 Posts
    Planning on making my first rain pic, kinda excited about it. Built a canal and stuff

still a long way to go though, open to any ideas (especially from those who did rain pics in the past)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Israel Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

15. Post #95
    May 2016
    260 Posts
    I don't get how you guys can make your progress shots look so great.

Speaking of progress shots

I'm thinking keeping those powerline structures around, they'd make a good picture on their own

Edited:

Finished the light for the background and tried godray passes on the towers. Here's a more detailed shot of what I've actually put there

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,826 Posts
    just a high-FOV lamp with a placeholder skybox effect and some fog to set the mood

I've been keeping an eye out for this WIP of yours for a while, it already looks super interesting
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Israel Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #97
    October 2017
    6 Posts
    So, I'm pretty new at this (very new) and I'm not sure if I'm even posting in the right place, but I have some questions. I'm trying to loosely represent a scene from one of the Halo novels through SFM. It's set in a desert on the planet Carrow.

What can I do to improve the city skyline, like adding some atmospheric perspective to the buildings + ship and some columns of smoke. The "blowing sand" graphic I used on the midground is only as tall as those Spartans, not nearly enough to cover the buildings. Is that something I have to do in post? How about placement of the buildings and the cruiser themselves? It doesn't quite feel right to me. (I also can't add any buildings behind what's shown because they'll be out of the map and disappear). I also don't know if it's appropriate for them to be in silhouette or if I should add a fill. The sun is behind the front Spartan's (screen) left hip. Edit: Ideally the city would be even further off in the distance, but that's as far back as the map goes.

So, poses. Haven't started that yet. I'd like for the center Spartan to be carrying a near-fatally wounded woman in his arms, but I can't for the life of me figure out what model I can use to represent her. She's supposed to be an African (from New Mombasa) in a plain-ish diplomatic uniform. The other two are just trudging through the sand. Also, I need to change the source/direction of light on the back Spartan, but that's also the light for the midground and back left dunes.

It feels kind of empty, how should I kind of flesh out the scene? Shrubs and rocks? There are some seams visible on the sand dunes, too.

Might be a bit flat and boring or something in terms of composition, too.

(Side note: Lighting in that program is... strange. It hasn't really been an issue before because, until now, I've only ever lit one character at a time and then used something like After Effects to composite them together. This is a large scene, though, and SFM lights only cover a small, round area from relatively close to the subject. I followed a youtube tutorial to create a "sun," but it mostly explained the how, not the why. I ended up having to do the opposite of what it said at one point (turn horizontal and verticalFOV to max instead of min like it said) to get it to work... somewhat. Sometimes creating a new light completely removes the skybox, too.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    31,123 Posts
    What can I do to improve the city skyline, like adding some atmospheric perspective to the buildings + ship and some columns of smoke. The "blowing sand" graphic I used on the midground is only as tall as those Spartans, not nearly enough to cover the buildings. Is that something I have to do in post? How about placement of the buildings and the cruiser themselves? It doesn't quite feel right to me. (I also can't add any buildings behind what's shown because they'll be out of the map and disappear). I also don't know if it's appropriate for them to be in silhouette or if I should add a fill. The sun is behind the front Spartan's (screen) left hip. Edit: Ideally the city would be even further off in the distance, but that's as far back as the map goes.
    as far as i know there is some way to use fog in SFM

to improve the skyline itself and give the impression that there is an actual city somewhere behind the dunes and not just a few skyscrapers standing in the desert, you should add something to represent smaller buildings around them to give the whole thing a bit of depth. doesn't have to be anything too detailed if it's going to be obscured by depth of field and atmospheric haze anyway:

19. Post #99
    October 2017
    6 Posts
    as far as i know there is some way to use fog in SFM

to improve the skyline itself and give the impression that there is an actual city somewhere behind the dunes and not just a few skyscrapers standing in the desert, you should add something to represent smaller buildings around them to give the whole thing a bit of depth. doesn't have to be anything too detailed if it's going to be obscured by depth of field and atmospheric haze anyway:
    Oh yea, that's already a lot better and way closer to what I had in mind. Thanks!

Edit:

Alright, started doing just that. More, less, smaller?

A:

B:

C:

Didn't mean to post that many wips, but I'm indecisive... Leaning towards C.
    Think I found an OK-ish model for the Envoy, I'll probably shrink her down in size considering those are Spartan IIs (who are about a head taller than your average human). Still need to do posing, of course. Unfortunately I'm not the best at that hah. Is it just me, or does the depth of field blur seem really... jagged?

20. Post #100
    July 2017
    40 Posts

so erm
    RIP chat thread
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Korea, Republic of Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #101
    October 2017
    6 Posts
    How are the Spartans looking? Wasn't really sure what to do with the Spartan on the (screen) right. Tried a "lookout" pose, but right now it seems more like a facepalm and "shielding eyes from sun with hand" doesn't exactly make sense when the helmet visors polarize automatically. Any other pose suggestions?

Alternate position:

Edit: For context: Carrow is a post-war joint occupation zone with an alien city and a human city. A Sangheili (elite) civil war is raging in orbit and this team of Spartans crash landed in the desert with a UNSC diplomat that was embedded on one of the Sangheili ships before fighting broke out. The Arbiter (and joint human/Sangheili occupation) aligned shipmaster she was working with then returned to the surface specifically to hunt down and kill these Spartans. Meanwhile, the shipmaster's rival is chasing him down so that he can win the civil war for his side and claim Carrow for the Sangheili. While all this is going on, a Brute ship broke off with its own agenda and started razing the human city. Things have gone to all kinds of hell, so nobody's in a good mood...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #102
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    31,123 Posts
    i think the second positioning works better in the sense that it makes easier to tell all three main characters apart at a glance - in the first version the combined silhouette of the foreground characters blends a bit with that of the right side Spartan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #103
    October 2017
    6 Posts
    Thanks so, so much for the help. Seriously.

One more, this time with the cruiser. For future reference, I may or may not crop the final image to be 2.40:1, depending. Probably just above the point of the tallest building, more or less.
    A:

B:

C:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #104
    May 2016
    260 Posts
    I suppose it depends on what feeling you want the cruiser to evoke. If you're aiming for it to be a big foreboding force then the first or third one is best. I personally like the third one more, because it fills in space in the middle while keeping the overall composition balanced.

25. Post #105
    January 2013
    428 Posts
    Try to look like SFM in gmod. does volumetric light looks good? i'm working edit now

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Korea, Republic of Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #106
    January 2017
    436 Posts
    I was listening to some slow jazz and made this film noir inspired pose.

Iím not sure where to go with this now.

I like two different angles I did and I want to add stylized cigarette smoke but I donít know how to do that in photoshop without making a mess.

I like the mutual distrust in their eyes in this shot.

I like how much more of the scene I can see in this one.

I forgot to add copious amounts of alcohol in the others so I added that in this shot.

Anyone want to take a crack at this?