1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    31,119 Posts
    A couple shots I wanted to add some photoshop work too but not sure I'll have the time.

-CLONES-
    check your graphics settings, those jagged edges are pretty harsh-looking

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,204 Posts
    The ground looks extremely noisy, I feel it doesn't let the poppies stand out enough.

I'm stuck on this scenebuild, it looks pretty empty but I have no idea what to add to fix that.
    i'm -really- liking that road and the walkway, where'd you get those models from?

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    4,299 Posts
    I figured out how to save my dupes. I'm assembling buildings and parts of them as legos so you can just spawn the dupe and a building like this will spawn in-game.

Or this cool arch structure, just left click and it spawns.

All in-game. Only requirement would be to have the pack.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,826 Posts
    We can actually take this a step further and use easy weld to move entire buildings with the physgun once spawned, or do this for any sort of other contraption - create once, save the dupe, spawn whenever, you're basically creating a prop in-game, it's awesome

5. Post #45
    September 2015
    64 Posts

any suggestions?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Poland Show Events Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,826 Posts
    Already looks great! I'd try placing the metrocop a bit further away, and slightly to the left. Also I'd consider adding some grassy textures under the grass effects
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Israel Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

7. Post #47
    May 2016
    259 Posts

any suggestions?
    Fantastic scenebuild! As VIox said, move the metrocop back a bit. The scenebuild is so detailed that the eye wants to explore it instead of metrobuddy in the middle there. To counter this, make the metrocop as insignificant as any other element in the scene. He'll still be the focal point, being a unique and organic figure with distinct colours, but it warrants the eye to see everything else, without feeling like the metrocop is ignored.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    August 2013
    579 Posts
    Having a very difficult time executing this concept. Need advice

9. Post #49
    July 2017
    40 Posts

errrrr

10. Post #50
    May 2016
    259 Posts
    Tighten the angle a bit. Lower/centralise the camera and close it in. Other than that, looking good so far.

11. Post #51
    December 2014
    197 Posts
    The background is pretty good, so is Bill's pose. But yeah the camera angle does need work, a lower angle, or a bird view one if you're feeling like it can probably work

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    729 Posts

Any Advice?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #53
    August 2013
    579 Posts

Any Advice?
    The DOF isn't doing you any justice. Also, I'd make the light more uniform, the nose of the plane is oddly darking than anything else in the scene. Sticks out like a sore thumb
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #54
    October 2014
    49 Posts

Any Advice?
    Perhaps also add some more details. Tools lying around, some dirty rags. I'd try to make it look like a workplace, without everything looking too clean, but rather ragged and used.
    As for the rest, I agree with Agameofscones about the lighting. Right now the floor's way to bright in my opinion
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Switzerland Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

15. Post #55
    July 2017
    40 Posts

hi
    l4d1 beta models are good
    use it

Thanks pain.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Korea, Republic of Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #56
    F T
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    12,048 Posts
    You really ought to back the camera away from Zoey.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

17. Post #57
    May 2016
    259 Posts

So I was running some lighting tests on my current scenebuild and found out really quickly that this van doesn't take light very well. Anyone know a workaround/fix?
    (Man, gotta love source. I spend like a week crafting an ambitious scenebuild, distancing myself from my usual areas and styles and pushing my creative capabilities in an effort improve my overall quality, run a lighting test around 80% in and realise that the focal point of the damn frame is broken)

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,826 Posts
    Use MC and set $phong to 0 (on all its submaterials)

Or just lower $phongboost/raise $phongexponent

What do you mean by your frame's focal point?

19. Post #59
    May 2016
    259 Posts
    The focal point is the focus area of the picture. Like the place the artist wants the viewer's eye to go to first and focus on the most. The centerpiece,I suppose. Just some art principals stuff I learnt in school a while back that helps me talk about compositions easier because my vocab is limited.

And thanks very much for the tips, I don't know anything about textures and this really helps

Edited:

Result of more recent lighting tests. I think I'm onto something here. (Also testing wduwant as a host because imgur's compression is becoming increasingly inexcusable for me)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    February 2015
    411 Posts

Any tips to improve this scene?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Lithuania Show Events Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #61
    January 2012
    294 Posts

roast my posing. i wanna do something with hand to hand, is this a good start?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #62
    May 2016
    259 Posts
    Lookin' pretty damn perfect to me. I'd say shift the right guy's legs a bit so he looks a bit more grounded, but other than that it's a really great pose

23. Post #63
    October 2014
    266 Posts

Doing poster with BF1 soldiers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

24. Post #64
    February 2014
    1,950 Posts
    What's wrong with the aliasing?

Edited:

Any tips to improve this scene?
    Are they watching a specific place or there are enemies at the other side? I can't really see/distinguish if there's someone there or not because of the rubble

25. Post #65
    February 2015
    411 Posts
    Yeah I finished the scene and I added some soldiers there. Gonna post it in EW thread soon.

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    729 Posts

Any advice on how I would light this thing?

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    2,343 Posts

Any thoughts on it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #68
    May 2016
    259 Posts
    Lighting is crisp. Loving the composition of the left one.

29. Post #69
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    31,119 Posts

Any advice on how I would light this thing?
    is the yellow tint map lighting?

30. Post #70
    January 2013
    648 Posts

heavy heavy heavy WIP

any ideas to what kinda props would be fitting, misc objects, particles, lighting, etc?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

31. Post #71
    Tbonia will grow larger!
    March 2010
    8,051 Posts
    If you have the znalecc spec ops pack then there's a really useful particle model in there called dustmotes.mdl, little specs of dirt and debris as seen here

Looks good so far though, love the intensity of the running!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    913 Posts
    --snip--

33. Post #73
    January 2013
    648 Posts
    If you have the znalecc spec ops pack then there's a really useful particle model in there called dustmotes.mdl, little specs of dirt and debris as seen here

Looks good so far though, love the intensity of the running!
    Having trouble finding the specific pack :/

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    913 Posts
    --snip--

35. Post #75
    May 2016
    259 Posts
    Experiment with closer, tighter camera angles and see what you can get. It's in desperate need of a good angle

36. Post #76
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    4,299 Posts
    The light blue fog of the forest does not match the sky, which is super dark. Try to light more the space between the opposing enemies.

37. Post #77
    December 2014
    197 Posts

I know the characters look wonky so far, but I want to focus on the background first. What else do you guys think can be added to it to make it look messy/overgrown? Also specially to help with the beds, they look too clean and such.

38. Post #78
    January 2012
    294 Posts
    vines down the walls and across the ceiling couldn't hurt. and stack shit on the beds. if you have a terrain pack just clip some sand or dirt through the surface.

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    4,299 Posts
    The characters are very small in comparison to the surroundings. Move the camera closer to them.

40. Post #80
    August 2013
    579 Posts

I know the characters look wonky so far, but I want to focus on the background first. What else do you guys think can be added to it to make it look messy/overgrown? Also specially to help with the beds, they look too clean and such.
    I'd tighten up the angle as well, even if you are focusing on the background, you don't have a focal point in said background that justifies the focus on it. Also if you're focusing on the background, why even have characters in the shot?

Also, if I were you I'd organize my SFM layout more efficiently, why don't you have the graph/timeline/motion editor open, or a second viewport? You're just sucking up more resources by having one big viewport. Also, as the scene gets more complex it'd behoove you to organize your models into DAG groups with appropriate names.