1. Post #1
    June 2016
    772 Posts
    What is the funding for?

for a Team Fortress 2 server moderated and ran by our community.

How will this benefit the Facepunch Community?

we have a pretty active TF2 community here on Facepunch, it's been going on for years, everyone keeps complaining that they can't find a good community server, and if they do it's mostly dead, this will provide an in game place for everyone here to play.

we tried doing an event last Saturday to see how many are interested, the server was full the entire duration of the event, which convinced us to create this application, I mean look at all those poor souls

ideally we'd have two servers, one EU server and another NA server, as we have a pretty fair split between EU and NA on the poll, however if we're having an NA server, I'd prefer it if someone else is responsible for it.

To make sure the Server stays active, we will organise weekly-ish Events where we gather and play. This is the modern way of keeping Community Servers.

Provide a breakdown of the costs:

about $10 - $25 a month per server, depends on how generous you want to be.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Romania Show Events Winner Winner x 16Disagree Disagree x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    November 2005
    23,290 Posts
    I'm open to providing this on the EU box I have, I was mostly waiting for the gauge of interest to see if it'll even be worth running again.

As for NA you'll have to look into either going down your own route or poking Kiwi.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

3. Post #3
    You'll never see it coming!
    September 2011
    26,073 Posts
    I've already have had many people approach me for hosting more than just HLDM(this also includes TF2) and I'm open to hosting them. It's popularity is the issue. Before anyone says yeah but TF2 is a popular game!!!! FP isn't really all TF2 heavy these days.

I'm not dismissing it. I'm just not hopeful as I am for any other game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Steam Show Events Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    www.bff-hab.de
    May 2006
    3,213 Posts
    I've already have had many people approach me for hosting more than just HLDM(this also includes TF2) and I'm open to hosting them. It's popularity is the issue. Before anyone says yeah but TF2 is a popular game!!!! FP isn't really all TF2 heavy these days.

I wonder if it wouldn't be better to just rent a dedicated box and use it to host whatever game is currently hip. A good dedi can easily run multiple game servers for just 50Ä/month.

5. Post #5
    September 2011
    26,073 Posts
    I wonder if it wouldn't be better to just rent a dedicated box and use it to host whatever game is currently hip. A good dedi can easily run multiple game servers for just 50Ä/month.
    This is exactly what we had in mind HERE.

6. Post #6
    www.bff-hab.de
    May 2006
    3,213 Posts
    This is exactly what we had in mind HERE.
    Oh cool, let me know if you guys ever need a linux admin. I have some experience with running linux servers, especially when it comes to making stuff reliable and secure.

7. Post #7
    January 2014
    477 Posts

TF2 will definitely be popular, at least briefly, once the next major update hits. Even if the update is somehow bad, people will still be open to wanting to test the new stuff on it...

The issue is, would there be moderators on the server?

8. Post #8
    September 2014
    2,893 Posts

You have a fair point. If we are to just let the Server play out on it's own, it'll die the moment it's on.

The way you do community Servers nowadays is to have "Events" - You make something like a Discord and/or Steam Group of players interested in playing in the Server, and on peak times (like 19:00 or whatever) you make an announcement for people to gather. After a while regs will form and if you are lucky it will evolve into daily scheduled play-sessions.
    However expecting the Server to stay alive for more than 30% of a day is a pipe dream unless Valve changes something about the system in the upcoming update.

Proof of such concepts working can be found in the Community Servers which are still alive to this date.

I'd be up for taking up the task of the EU Mod, however we would need to find a dedicated NA bean to lead the NA Server.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    19,797 Posts
    You have a fair point. If we are to just let the Server play out on it's own, it'll die the moment it's on.

The way you do community Servers nowadays is to have "Events" - You make something like a Discord and/or Steam Group of players interested in playing in the Server, and on peak times (like 19:00 or whatever) you make an announcement for people to gather. After a while regs will form and if you are lucky it will evolve into daily scheduled play-sessions.
    However expecting the Server to stay alive for more than 30% of a day is a pipe dream unless Valve changes something about the system in the upcoming update.

Proof of such concepts working can be found in the Community Servers which are still alive to this date.

I'd be up for taking up the task of the EU Mod, however we would need to find a dedicated NA bean to lead the NA Server.
    Kiwi and Reagy are well aware of how to run server communities by this point I'd hope, for a very long while we did have a thriving TF2 UK server. But even with a fairly solid regular player base it died off as people just got tired of the game.

As for events, holy shit organising anything on FP is an exercise in pulling teeth. Despite the PUBG Discord being pretty populated getting enough people in to custom games was always a problem.

10. Post #10
    September 2014
    2,893 Posts
    Kiwi and Reagy are well aware of how to run server communities by this point I'd hope, for a very long while we did have a thriving TF2 UK server. But even with a fairly solid regular player base it died off as people just got tired of the game.

As for events, holy shit organising anything on FP is an exercise in pulling teeth. Despite the PUBG Discord being pretty populated getting enough people in to custom games was always a problem.
    I can't speak for PUBG - But the things I had in mind was either making a Steam Group where you make an event - notifying everyone - or just make a Discord channel in our Server and do @here-es to notify everyone and to make it compact to mute.

Last time I tested this I just did it over Discord + a post on the forum and it worked fine - for EU that is, but any recommendation to making it an easier task is always appreciated

11. Post #11
    September 2011
    26,073 Posts
    We tried doing this and spamming it in the thread for pubg games
    nobody came.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    14,212 Posts
    PUBG is also one of those games that require a lot of people for relatively decent experience.
    I normally only see around 25 players show up for an event with 2 weeks notice.

You could half those numbers and have a good game of TF2, we're able to pull that off in almost an instant with hl1dm though.

There's a lot of meta that goes around with this Scheduled impromptu shit

I always really look out of the impromptu stuff since it's easier to fill a current timeslot of doing sweet fa, then planning some time in the future out for it

13. Post #13
    September 2014
    2,893 Posts
    sucks for pubg-lords I guess - however the test-session on saturday proved it can work - just takes around 10min to fill up

14. Post #14
    June 2014
    7,926 Posts
    TF2 has always had a big following on FP, there's no doubt in my mind that a FP server would easily get as much attention as the HLDM server. Stick posts in TF2 general chat with a link to automatically join the server, have a steam group that runs announcements for sessions like we're doing with HLDM on the forums discussion page, I don't see any reason why that wouldn't be successful. There's a big demand for stock map community servers with sv_pure 0 in the TF2 threads. Once the "imminent" update hits there will definitely be a big increase in player counts in general as well.

Edited:

FP isn't really all TF2 heavy these days.
    There's a lot bigger of a TF2 community than there is a fucking HLDM community on FP lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    LOL
    August 2009
    2,031 Posts
    Am I the only one that thinks people should stop suggesting servers? Rarely does an "official" server end up being popular at all unless it's unique in some way. You can't make a vanilla TF2 server, slap Facepunch.com on it, and expect people to play on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    Meet the Pyro
    April 2006
    4,035 Posts
    Am I the only one that thinks people should stop suggesting servers? Rarely does an "official" server end up being popular at all unless it's unique in some way. You can't make a vanilla TF2 server, slap Facepunch.com on it, and expect people to play on it.
    Make it have TF2 from when TF2 was good

Before hats
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    29,007 Posts
    Make it have TF2 from when TF2 was good

Before hats
    Ah yes, invest in free PS3 copies for everyone.

18. Post #18
    September 2014
    2,893 Posts
    You probably wont believe it but a vanilla community server is unique nowadays
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    February 2011
    13,021 Posts
    You probably wont believe it but a vanilla community server is unique nowadays
    no kidding, I was trying to look for a community server for me and another to play on but like there is literally only a handful of them, and half of those are constantly full or have dumb reserved slots (do those even count as vanilla) or they're doing hightower deathmatch stuff

that's not counting the multiple single language servers.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    February 2014
    222 Posts
    The only popular vanilla tf2 community server that I know of is skial and they have dumb pay to win vip features, it would be really nice to see a community server that has a lot of players, runs vanilla maps and maybe has a few community maps with no bullshit plugins.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    September 2011
    26,073 Posts
    Taking this all in as feedback. I wanna cash in on the jungle update. Could be lots of fun. Will also look into having multiple servers. No final words yet but I have plans after ZS so this would be in the works if approved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Chrome New Zealand Show Events Winner Winner x 8Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    November 2005
    23,290 Posts
    Already going ahead with launching an EU server off my hardware, depending when they decide to let the update hit and if I have the free time (at college all day friday, working weekend) it'll likely pop up on the weekend after its hit.

It will be completely vanilla, no modifications and very likely have sod all staff to moderate it, I'll leave the voting options enabled so if need be, you'll be able to vote kick people off if they're a problem.

Basically it'll be that server you've all wanted but never used the last few times I provided it. ...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    September 2011
    26,073 Posts
    Iíll follow suit with Reagy. Match the servers for AU and USA providing I get time between ZS sessions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Chrome New Zealand Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    8,205 Posts
    Will Halloween Mode be active 24/7?
    I know I always appreciate it when a community server lets you use stuff like Griffin's Gog and Garden Bristles all year-round.

Edited:

Incidentally, you're doing god's work, gentlemen.

25. Post #25
    June 2016
    772 Posts
    Will Halloween Mode be active 24/7?
    I know I always appreciate it when a community server lets you use stuff like Griffin's Gog and Garden Bristles all year-round.

Edited:

Incidentally, you're doing god's work, gentlemen.
    I'm suggesting no spread, no crits, halloween activated all time so you can use halloween items, because from what I've seen, that's what most people want

and I'd personally throw in sm_cvar tf_max_voice_speak_delay -1 for the memes

although I'm not sure about having no mods on the server
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Greece Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    June 2014
    7,926 Posts
    I'd say no spread, no crits, but don't enable halloween. They had this "souls" mechanic the last couple years, and the bottom line is that when you have halloween enabled it causes these annoying (and loud) white particle effects to fly around the map every time somebody dies.

Also, please have sv_pure 0. It's the default iirc, but if you don't have it enabled nobody will be able to use any client-side mods or sprays.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    June 2016
    772 Posts
    I'd say no spread, no crits, but don't enable halloween. They had this "souls" mechanic the last couple years, and the bottom line is that when you have halloween enabled it causes these annoying (and loud) white particle effects to fly around the map every time somebody dies.

Also, please have sv_pure 0. It's the default iirc, but if you don't have it enabled nobody will be able to use any client-side mods or sprays.
    yeah it has to be sv_pure 0, however I need to mention that pure has nothing to do with sprays, sprays are only affected by sv_allowupload
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Greece Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    September 2011
    26,073 Posts
    connect fatso.chie.club; password fuck
    a quick test thx
    server is in New Jersey
    Testing 66 and 30 tick cause i wanna see how far we can push the vultr box
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #29

Spooky 💀 Member

July 2010
    2,036 Posts
    Is it killed already?

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    14,212 Posts
    Is it killed already?
    no
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    September 2014
    2,893 Posts
    If you wanna do such tests in the future Id recommend joining the TF2 Discord, I made a channel specifically about such announcements and chances are youll get a lot more playing - just ping me so I can give you the respective role to post in the channel.

32. Post #32
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    September 2011
    26,073 Posts
    These TF2 servers or the VPS's themselves. AU $5 USD. USA NJ(hosting FASTDL and TF2) and USA Miami(hosting HLDM and HL2DM) all currently cost $12.50 USD a month. These limits could change in the future however at the moment I think $12.50 a month will be the most I'd have to spend to keep these up.