1. Post #1
    May 2015
    2,234 Posts
    SANTA ROSA, Calif. — The winds that have fanned Northern California’s wine-country wildfires have calmed, for now, giving firefighters a badly needed break from the “red flag” conditions that have made this menacing arc of flames so deadly and destructive.

But for localities faced with relentless fires that show few signs of being tamed and a mounting death toll that has already reached historically grim heights, any reprieve appears remote.

As the destruction entered its fifth day, officials focused their efforts on finding the missing and the dead: While authorities continue to search for the hundreds of people who remain unaccounted for, cadaver dogs are sniffing through the scorched rubble.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...dreds-missing/

We're at the point where we're going to start finding people
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 21Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    9,011 Posts
    While there's no known fatalities currently, wildfires also made a mess of BC this last summer with hundreds of homes destroyed and 3 million acres of land burned. We have an enormous amount of underpopulated wilderness where fires spread out of control often started by lightning. Our summer consisted of thick smoke filling the skies even all the way down to the coast. The air smelled strongly of it frequently where I live and it was supposedly pretty bad for you.

We really need an effective way to deal with all these fires, it's beyond out of control at this point. Not sure how many other parts of NA it's getting bad in, but I doubt it's just California and BC
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    I'm halving my usage of math each week.. but, apparently I'll never be able to quit.
    October 2009
    9,274 Posts
    The US needs to repurpose military transports en-masse into water-bombers - helicopters and the existing fleet can only do so much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Internet Explorer 11 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    13,905 Posts
    There's a warning up for my area too. I'm afraid it really will be arson where I live since a lot of retard burnouts going nowhere like to go up into the hills to smoke weed. They even destroyed our dam a few years ago

5. Post #5
    May 2015
    2,234 Posts
    There's a warning up for my area too. I'm afraid it really will be arson where I live since a lot of retard burnouts going nowhere like to go up into the hills to smoke weed. They even destroyed our dam a few years ago
    https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1581702

the fire was linked to PG&E

6. Post #6

February 2005
    1,987 Posts
    The US needs to repurpose military transports en-masse into water-bombers - helicopters and the existing fleet can only do so much.
    The California National Guard was given the order to mobilize yesterday to go combat the fires in NorCal to give you an idea of how desperate the situation has become.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Edge United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    25,298 Posts
    I think we should just create a whole command devoted to disaster relief, with the ability to commandeer united states military equipment and personnel for disaster relief when necessary. Imagine how much better off Puerto Rico would be if we were flying sorties dropping supplies and personnel and using combat engineering vehicles and personnel to clear and temporarily repair the roads. Plus trucks, lots and lots of trucks, we have enough trucks to move entire armies, and they're sturdy as hell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    14,534 Posts
    I think we should just create a whole command devoted to disaster relief, with the ability to commandeer united states military equipment and personnel for disaster relief when necessary. Imagine how much better off Puerto Rico would be if we were flying sorties dropping supplies and personnel and using combat engineering vehicles and personnel to clear and temporarily repair the roads.
    Sounds like FEMA's line of work to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    25,298 Posts
    Sounds like FEMA's line of work to me.
    FEMA doesn't even dream of having the equipment and manpower that our military has available to them. Plus military personnel, regardless of what they're doing, all double as peacekeepers. Whether they are handing out supplies, repairing the road, or driving a truck; highly trained peacekeepers. The military exists to protect our people, so we might as well protect them from the ravages of nature, which seems to be getting more common.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    July 2008
    563 Posts
    I already posted this in the other thread, just repeating myself because it may help someone.

There will be a spare room opening up where I live in napa at the beginning of next month, and it's pretty cheap.

11. Post #11
    July 2013
    5,678 Posts
    The devil's lettuce strikes again.

12. Post #12

April 2017
    122 Posts
    When I woke up the other day I thought we had some kind of cloudy day and then the smell hit me.

I live about 80 or so miles away from the fire and the other day the wind blew the smoke and the smell over here, you could taste the smoke. Its kind of surreal because nothing like this ever really happens here. I sincerely hope that this shit gets under control and the victims can return to some semblance of their normal lives. :/

13. Post #13
    A Self Condescending Title
    October 2006
    1,692 Posts
    I had to evacuate from Santa Rosa a couple of days ago. The night it happened was kind of weird.
    My brother and I were watching TV and he smelled smoke so we looked outside. We both knew it was a fire, and we found out that one of the areas fairly far up north from us had been evacuated, but after a while we saw ash falling from the sky and the smoke was getting a lot thicker. We both thought something was up but figured the fire was far enough away that we didn't have to worry.
    It was about 3 am when I was trying to get to fall asleep, I started hearing explosions constantly going off and we finally got the evac order on our cell phones a few minutes later. We filled up some water bottles, got an extra change of clothes, took the money we keep for a rainy day and some dog food for our dog, who we took with us.
    The second we got outside was chaos. The smoke was extremely thick now and police cars were rushing up north with ambulances and there was miles of traffic heading south. It took us about 2 hours just to reach the south side of town. We waited at a park until the smoke reached us there too and we had to head even further just to get to get away from the smoke, which made it really difficult to breathe.
    The traffic was crazy, the emergency response teams were working as fast as possible, shelters got set up in just a couple of hours.
    The fire itself wouldn't have been anywhere near as devastating as it was if it wasn't for winds that were blowing at 60+ mph allowing the flames to reach the opposite side of Highway 101.
    I'm proud that the community really came together to help those who need it most, but my heart goes out to those were affected and those lost their livelihoods and dreams to a fire that should have never been.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 8 (list)

14. Post #14
    May 2015
    2,234 Posts
    it's 31 dead now

I've heard its family members and friends bodies
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)