1. Post #161
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    6,078 Posts
    is it bad i kind of found the king dice boss fight underwhelming? i mean i get they couldn't make him too crazy because of what have to you go through to get to him in the first place but even then they couldve put a checkpoint between the gauntlet and his full-fledged boss fight or something.

it's just a shame because he has such a cool design and they don't do a whole lot with it or him as a character
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #162
    April 2013
    315 Posts
    this has probably been done already but whatever

WIP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #163
    November 2012
    6,483 Posts
    By the way it really says a lot about today's gaming industry how a very simple but unique indie game made by two Canadian brothers who (at first) pawned their own houses just to see it made is selling so fast and is developing such a very faithful and large fanbase than, I don't know, the next AAA open world photorealistic big game from one of those already enstablished developers

4. Post #164
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    14,591 Posts
    yeah but lets discuss how mugman drinks himself
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

5. Post #165
    October 2015
    5,631 Posts
    yeah but lets discuss how mugman drinks himself
    If Mugman drinks himself is that self-cannibalization ?

6. Post #166
    I am the Asian Ed Sheeran Rabbit - My sister
    June 2012
    5,052 Posts
    Or is it more like sucking his own dick?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Firefox Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #167
    July 2015
    532 Posts
    Oh that's fantastic.
    I've beaten the King Dice and only now I'm getting bombs for my plane. That's what I get for not exploring.
    So that's why the Bird boss was extraordinary hard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

8. Post #168
    March 2013
    6,303 Posts
    Oh that's fantastic.
    I've beaten the King Dice and only now I'm getting bombs for my plane. That's what I get for not exploring.
    So that's why the Bird boss was extraordinary hard.
    To be fair you used the bombs almost as much as someone who actually unlocked them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

9. Post #169
    July 2015
    532 Posts
    To be fair you used the bombs almost as much as someone who actually unlocked them.
    I would say the final stage with Bird boss required to use bombs. Without them it was a pain in the ass.

10. Post #170
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    3,783 Posts
    only ever used bombs on the final phase of the bird fight, eels on cala maria and first phase of the robot boss since you can hit both the chest and stomach at the same time

11. Post #171
    I can't think of a good title.
    May 2010
    14,652 Posts
    I use the shit out of those bombs thanks to how much damage they do. Often more than my regular gun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

12. Post #172
    August 2014
    4,752 Posts
    The bombs have saved me a great time and combined with coffee, it's so fast building up the super meter

13. Post #173
    September 2011
    1,821 Posts
    Or is it more like sucking his own dick?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 18Agree Agree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #174
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    8,902 Posts
    Bought it this morning as a birthday gift to myself (I’m 21 tomorrow). Enjoyed what I played so far, managed to get a perfect score on that first run and gun, but its literally the start of the game and i died a bunch before that.

It has the rewarding sort of challenge to it, I really like that. Unlike say in a game like total war where higher difficulties are just BS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #175
    June 2014
    3,621 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 15Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 4 (list)

16. Post #176
    October 2015
    5,631 Posts
    I finally beat the Perilous Pier stage. That stage is the worst one in the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #177
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    6,256 Posts
    that sounds so familiar... who is it?

18. Post #178
    The Doctor Is In
    September 2009
    20,130 Posts
    It's the red devil guy from cow and chicken.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

19. Post #179

April 2005
    18,032 Posts
    here's a kewl article featuring a lot of concept art

https://www.dualshockers.com/cuphead...shots-artwork/

lots of cut/wip bosses featured here, including a fukin toaster because why not

the previously posted spider boss, tho without the tux

early versions of the flower boss

and an early pirate boss concept which is amazing and features him with two peg legs and an expressive pirate flag for a head lmao
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 11Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #180
    The Doctor Is In
    September 2009
    20,130 Posts
    Pls bring back the toaster in a DLC I love him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #181

April 2005
    18,032 Posts
    this probably shouldn't be surprising by this point but still:

that's pretty damn spot on. they even redrew their studio logo so it'd look like the old Motion Picture Association of America logo lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7 (list)

22. Post #182
    November 2012
    6,483 Posts

CALA PLEASE, I WANT THIS RELATIONSHIP TO WORK OUT
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Italy Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #183
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    6,386 Posts
    I caved in and bought this. I think I'll do the Takahashi-challenge and record my honest first 26 minutes.

As promised, here it be:

This game reminded me of how much I suck at Contra-style games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

24. Post #184
    December 2012
    1,929 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Vivaldi United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)

25. Post #185
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,179 Posts
    why are people claiming that this is the next "bad fanbase"?
    I'm only seeing cool art, not some loud and edgy stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Vivaldi Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #186
    September 2008
    899 Posts
    Because the game had controversy with its difficulty, mostly brought up by delusional game journalists who suck at the game. That created a bunch of stupid memes akin to 'git-gud'. The cartoony characters are also natural prey for online deviants who sexualize anything within eye-sight.

Basically a combination of early news article bitching, memes, and internet perverts are most likely going to put a bad image on this game for fans who play the game for what it actually is.

27. Post #187
    November 2016
    664 Posts
    So I learned about Cupsonas.
    Hah.
    I wish now for a artwork of Haru Okumura drinking from the head of Cuphead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Greece Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

28. Post #188
    The Doctor Is In
    September 2009
    20,130 Posts
    I don't mind people making OCs. It's usually kids or preteens just doing it for funsies lol.

I'd rather make a villain character than a cupsona tho... There's only so much you can do with cups.

29. Post #189
    I can't think of a good title.
    May 2010
    14,652 Posts
    I heard some people on Tumblr like it which means it's time to pack it up and say that you never liked it to begin with, and every time anybody brings the game up you need to go out of your way to tell everybody how much you don't like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #190
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    4,669 Posts
    Because the moment an indie game becomes popular with Tumblr people have to shit on it. Same with Undertale.

31. Post #191
    September 2011
    1,821 Posts
    Honestly this shittalk about how something will become the next homestuck/undertale/another ''cringe'' game or series, is more annoying and stupid than the actual game becoming popular lmao
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #192
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,020 Posts
    I'd be more worried when imitations start popping up. You know, Bowlhead, Platefoot, Platterstomach and the like.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

33. Post #193

April 2005
    18,032 Posts
    This interview is an old one but I just now stumbled upon it. It's a pretty great read, especially since we now know how well it's selling

http://www.gamesradar.com/we-quit-ou...ead-a-reality/

Its bold 2D art style, which recalls classic, mid-20th century animations, and engaging, tough boss battles catapulted Cuphead to everyone’s most anticipated list. But, after it was quickly made known the game only contained boss fights with barely any platforming levels linking those battles together, people grew disappointed. The excitement for Cuphead died down.

After listening to the negative feedback for this design choice, StudioMDHR knew it had to course correct. The decision to go back to the drawing board and start crafting whole levels in the game eventually resulted in a several-year delay for Cuphead, and a much more challenging development process than first anticipated. It’s a big ask for such a small team working on a game made up of painstaking, handcrafted animations.
    “The truth is that we started Cuphead as a three person team, just working on the weekend”
    Chad Moldenhauer
    After E3 2015, StudioMDHR was ready to fully commit to its initial “dream scope” for the game. “We realized that there were a lot of people out there that wanted what we were doing,” says Chad. “My brother and I quit our jobs, remortgaged our houses and began expanding the team. This was our chance to actually deliver the game we wanted to make all along, rather than the cut-scope game we originally planned with a three person team.” It’s a gamble that could easily have backfired on the brothers.

Steamspy now has a full list of sales estimates since the day it launched. Let's see how their gamble paid off:

yyyyyyep. I don't know if there's a record for fasted indie game to sell a million copies on steam, but I would not be surprised if they end up hitting it. I really think they owe a lot to that gaming journalist tutorial level drama lol. That shit really got peoples attention back to this game and made everyone want to play it just in time for release.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

34. Post #194
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    3,216 Posts
    Kinda reminds me of Yacht Club when they made Shovel Knight. Even despite making over 300k from Kickstarter, they wildly underestimated how much they actually needed and went 5 months without pay to finish the game.

Though it seems MDHR had it a lot tougher and sacrificed a lot more. Glad everything came out good for them, the game is great.

35. Post #195

December 2012
    3,715 Posts
    15 141 620 Dollars

What's the % that Valve takes?

36. Post #196
    November 2012
    6,483 Posts
    I can't decide if    King Dice    is either one of the most memorable encounter from the game due to his unique gimmick or instead the worst of the lot due to the whole thing really pushing the luck-based nature of many bosses from Cuphead

37. Post #197
    November 2016
    664 Posts
    Cuphead ready to give head to his brother Mugman because he is the man.

38. Post #198

April 2005
    18,032 Posts
    I can't decide if    King Dice    is either one of the most memorable encounter from the game due to his unique gimmick or instead the worst of the lot due to the whole thing really pushing the luck-based nature of many bosses from Cuphead
    It didn't feel that bad when I played it. The only really luck based part I remember is if that fucking chime monkey will either softlock the game or instead die early because it's a broken fuckin mess lmao (tho I'm sure there's some way to manipulate it that I don't know). I hear the racehorse boss is pretty bad tho but I think I only briefly played him once since I prefer doing the other bosses.

39. Post #199
    November 2016
    664 Posts
    Also apparently many people think Cuphead is Racist

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/1...artwork/42353/

To be fair, wasn't the 1930's Cartoon "rasist" in some animations? I clearly remember a Bugs Bunny cartoon make fun of black people.

40. Post #200
    I am the Asian Ed Sheeran Rabbit - My sister
    June 2012
    5,052 Posts
    Why did you spoiler it? Also, the only thing that really bothers me about him is the fight against him. I absolutely loved the boss rush before him and the way it was set up, but when I actually got to him I felt kind of underwhelmed. Like the way he looms over you and the way health works in that stage really had me pumped for a great fight. But that wasn't really the case though

Edited:

Also apparently many people think Cuphead is Racist

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/1...artwork/42353/

To be fair, wasn't the 1930's Cartoon "rasist" in some animations? I clearly remember a Bugs Bunny cartoon make fun of black people.
    “Seeing the trailer for the game this week elicited a visceral reaction in me. It made me feel physically ill. I got queasy and my head swam a bit. It was one of those moments when you are sure that your blood pressure has shot up 20 or 30 points, a true WTF moment. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop.”

The writer went out to explain that…

“I kept waiting for the next boss to be a thick-lipped, black-faced, spittle-dripping caricature of an African American man (probably holding aloft a terrified, screaming, blonde, Caucasian woman just to show what a threat he actually was). And looking back at the trailer for the game that was shown at last year’s E3 we see that the devil who is after the souls of our heroes (Cuphead and Mugman) is strangely reminiscent of caricature (NB that this year’s trailer devil was grayscale, so the color is unclear, with less pronounced lips).”
    I think the author needs to get the stick out of their arse and go outside