1. Post #4801
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    11,471 Posts
    What's happened in the past year that literally every single game I play has a sniper with unusuals pulling off ridiculous shit? I've run across a few obvious hackers, but it's every single game I see these people.
    sniper mains are nothing new
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

2. Post #4802
    Pyrosexual Member (I vigorously masturbate to flames)
    March 2011
    13,899 Posts
    sniper mains are nothing new
    It's like saying you're seeing soldier mains constantly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events

3. Post #4803
    October 2013
    1,541 Posts
    Has anyone else been encountering medic hackers? I've seen at least 3 now. It's really weird. I just played a match where a medic would constantly know exactly where I was as a spy, despite being cloaked. I don't just throw hackusations around, so to check I even baited him with the C&D outside his spawn, off the main path. and he just walks up to me and melees. I know it wasn't the teamglow thing either, because I wasn't disguised.

Some of his own team even said they noticed the C&D incident as well. He wasn't exactly a major influence on the matches' outcome, but still. It was pretty fuckin annoying because I couldn't play spy at all.

Edit: I also forgot to mention he was landing every single crossbow bolt. 90% of the time it was a crit, too...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events

4. Post #4804
    April 2016
    1,484 Posts
    It's like saying you're seeing soldier mains constantly
    Good sniper mains are fairly rare though at least... Most still can't hit the broad side of a barn and are dirt easy to catch off guard by flanking lol.

Has anyone else been encountering medic hackers? I've seen at least 3 now. It's really weird. I just played a match where a medic would constantly know exactly where I was as a spy, despite being cloaked. I don't just throw hackusations around, so to check I even baited him with the C&D outside his spawn, off the main path. and he just walks up to me and melees. I know it wasn't the teamglow thing either, because I wasn't disguised.
    Probably wall hacks. Since those tend to outline everyone on the map for you. Although they seem to be semi rare to deal with. Had a scout a long time ago that always knew were I was even when I CnD'd ontop of rocks and stuff where I'd obviously never have to worry about damage or enemies causing me to flicker.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Show Events

5. Post #4805
    June 2014
    3,033 Posts

Some of his own team even said they noticed the C&D incident as well. He wasn't exactly a major influence on the matches' outcome, but still. It was pretty fuckin annoying because I couldn't play spy at all.

Edit: I also forgot to mention he was landing every single crossbow bolt. 90% of the time it was a crit, too...
    Probably was playing medic because medic hackers are rare
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Firefox Show Events

6. Post #4806
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    5,395 Posts
    Was having a pretty bad day doing my sniper contracts on a ctf map, couldn't click heads with the rifle and my huntsman arrows didn't get lucky, decided to just go jarate + noscope sniper and somehow it was really effective on braindead ctf players

Also pissed off more people than I expected
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #4807
    September 2014
    3,035 Posts
    Smissmas is only a month away, and no one is even attempting to speculate over what it may bring. Are we all just resigned to yet another year with only one major update?
    There was speculation about it.

While the Majority of people seem to expect a bit more than just a crate and a blogpost of Dave Riller winking at us, it's somewhat evenly split.

There are essentially two parties, The "Its gonna be nothing" and the "It's gonna be comp" party. Both have decent points, so we'll see. I personally have no idea what to expect after JI...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Show Events

8. Post #4808
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    3,166 Posts
    I know what to expect, the only thing that's consistent from the TF2 team: bad decisions and more time between them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #4809
    April 2016
    1,484 Posts
    I know what to expect, the only thing that's consistent from the TF2 team: bad decisions and more time between them.
    I dunno... For the most part I've really enjoyed the jungle/pyro update and how quickly some of the fixes have come about to keep things from being too disruptive. Not to say that everything is perfect, it isn't honestly. But it seems to be going in a far better direction then some of the other updates we've had over the year and I can only hope they'll continue to produce updates like this.

I've definitely been enjoying the game far more now then I have been over the last few months at least. It's been keeping me from getting my requested art commissions done for a bit even lol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #4810
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    3,166 Posts
    For people that don't main Heavy, I can see them enjoying the update. However, Pyro still isn't what I would consider competitively viable and on par with the likes of Valve's golden boys; Valve still overbuffs Scout weapons based purely around usage statistics; for the greatest content drought in the game's history, the resulting update isn't exactly what I would call groundbreaking; average concurrent player counts have not risen substantially; Pyro still has a surplus of issues; Sandman and Crit-a-Cola may have been nerfed, but Scout himself still has several tools (*ahem* Mad Milk) that enable him to fell Heavies with ease; the "buff" for Heavy's miniguns hasn't given him an edge in any particular match-up, nor has it helped against all the weapons most classes have that Heavy has no counterplay against; Pyro is now a serious threat to Heavy whereas previously he was not; etc etc. All isn't peaches and cream.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

11. Post #4811
    September 2016
    386 Posts
    I wonder what changes they will make to heavy in the exor update.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

12. Post #4812
    June 2016
    826 Posts
    I wonder what changes they will make to heavy in the exor update.
    I wonder what would be enough to satisfy exor
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #4813
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    13,212 Posts
    He's not complaining that much, it sounds that overall he actually really likes it. He didn't call Valve idiots once and admits that some people might even enjoy it.

I mean that's the biggest praise I've heard from him over the years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 New Opera Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

14. Post #4814
    October 2016
    706 Posts
    I'm fairly certain that he, and everyone else except the players who enjoy the lack of balance on certain game elements like the sniper, nerfed heavy guns and overbuffed scout unlocks would be satisfied if valve did the difficult thing and actually reined those in.

A prime example of what they can get to now that the pyro update is done. And admittedly, something people were expecting along with it due to the truly excessive wait.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #4815
    June 2014
    3,033 Posts
    He's not complaining that much, it sounds that overall he actually really likes it. He didn't call Valve idiots once and admits that some people might even enjoy it.

I mean that's the biggest praise I've heard from him over the years.
    ehhhhh

talking with him personally has been nothing but arguments from me about why he shouldn't hate it at much as he does
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Show Events

16. Post #4816
    ASIC's security and investment consultation.
    March 2013
    3,610 Posts
    Anyone else wish festivizors were like a style for weapons instead of being a permanent fixture, so you could switch them out whenever you feel a little bit festive.

I think that would be a good option and it's not like styles for weapons don't exist given the Black Rose.

Flying Guillotine and the Festive Sticky Launcher also have styles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Show Events

17. Post #4817
    April 2016
    846 Posts
    So what exactly is the consensus on scout these days? Is he considered broken yet or are a lot of people still in denial?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #4818
    September 2016
    386 Posts
    for some reason people are more angry about pyroes coming from corners than scouts,even if scouts could kill them faster than the pyro.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Show Events

19. Post #4819
    March 2016
    489 Posts
    Anybody know how to re-bind keys for bringing up party chat so it doesn't conflict with confirming voice responses?

Sincle the new update introduced this whole MM party/chat overlay, anytime I try to use the 1,2,3 etc. numbers above the WSAD keys for various voice responses like Thanks!, it brings up the damn party chat window instead.

Maybe I'm blind but I can't find an option to rebind the party chat keys in the Options menu, there's only the server-wide and team-wide chat buttons.

Help greatly appreciated.
    After a bit of messing around, I threw this in my autoexec.cfg and it seemed to fix it:
    Code:
    unbind 2
    unbind 3 
    bind o say_party
    bind 2 slot2
    bind 3 slot3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #4820
    June 2017
    245 Posts
    With Pyro's flame particles multi-hitting like they originated from a Bison, Pyro is now effectively a counter to Scout and Heavy. With the Dragon's Fury, Pyro is now a counter to Engie. This is the opposite of how things used to be. /s but not really /s
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Chrome Show Events

21. Post #4821
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    13,212 Posts
    for some reason people are more angry about pyroes coming from corners than scouts,even if scouts could kill them faster than the pyro.
    When all you play is 2fort, scouts are nowhere near as much of a problem as pyros.

This thread has always had issues with people from pubs arguing with people from higher skill community pubs arguing with people from competitive. That's like 3 entirely different environments where different classes and weapons function entirely differently relative to each other.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 New Opera Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #4822
    June 2014
    815 Posts
    Regardless of what server environment and skill level you're used to, I think something's seriously wrong when Valve's idea of making flames more 'consistent' and buffing direct flame damage to counteract other nerfs ends up with a primary that:

- takes literally zero skill to use, somehow even way less than before; and essentially allows a guy with terrible flame tracking to deal the same full damage within range as the best Pyro player out there

- makes spazzing around while holding M1 and 360-degree-spinning, Panic-button-scripts the most effective way to 'aim' flames and maximize damage against grouped up enemies.

- effectively takes what little finesse there was out of Pyro vs. Pyro fights, as the nature of reworked flames essentially means they end up killing or nearly killing each other if they start flaming at roughly the same time. Shotguns generally almost don't matter in such fights, and with how flames deal max DPS even at their tip, I feel like staying at midrange and Shotgunning away is now very much an inferior way of dealing damage compared to just W+M1 rushing and closing the distance while flaming like a madman. At least in many situations I've found myself in.

And Pyro's one of my most played classes, so I really don't have a reason to shit on the class. I even generally support the direction of the Pyro changes they've taken in JI, it's just that I simply can't overlook how insanely braindead flaming has become and how the dumbest of suicidal, inexperienced Pyros that manage to get even remotely close in a pub (which happens) are likely to deal full flame damage now and melt you very quickly unless you're overhealed.

It seems people are so blown away by the fact that ''Pyro's finally a consistent, reliable CQC threat now'' that they don't notice it's not their perfect flame aim and smart positioning/movement doing it, but rather the fact that the primary weapon does the 'aiming' for you and (nearly) maximizes damage for the most woeful of Pyro players, no matter how slow or sloppy their tracking or reactions are.

I seriously hope they find a way to rework the way dmg is calculated so DPS output stays reliable and consistent and rewards those with decent aim, but prevents a trained chimpanzee from being able to dish out 175+ DPS to single targets or hundreds of DPS to groups by just flailing flames wildly at them. Or using a ridiculous-looking script provided by its human masters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

23. Post #4823
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    506 Posts
    Alright I tried to have an open mind on these pyro changes but good god I cannot stand them anymore. I know its a broken record around here but I legit want to know if they did any play testing of these fire changes or the new weapons.

The dragons fury essentially gives you the power of a soldier, demo or scout but without any of the hassle of good positioning, aim and being weary of blast damage. Ontop of that the changes to the flamethrowers may aswell just force you to become pyro when choosing heavy. I've seen braindead M1 pyro's rush combo's down and even if the pyro dies to them a good amount of the time the medic gets wasted.

I had an issue with combo pyro's before this update but I'd gladly take that now over every braindead lemming of a pyro player being able to rush me down and melt me within a second or less if they get close.

This is somewhat venting as I just got out of a game where the top scoring player wasn't some heavily skilled player making smart plays and maintaining good positioning. It was some DF spamming pyro with a medic lodged up his ass at all times two-shotting a good chunk of my team. There's something wrong when I now have to prioritize a pyro even if he's a good distance away because as soon as he reaches me and anyone by me. We're fucked. Not due to skill but because he can flail his mouse around and deal unbelievable amounts of DPS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

24. Post #4824
    August 2013
    149 Posts
    I think that the damage on the second shot of the DF should be lowered, while increasing the damage on the third shot to compensate, the initial burst from the first two shots feels higher than it should be for the skill it takes to land them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #4825
    Gold Member

August 2012
    2,128 Posts
    I think we can agree that the TF Team are the worst developers in the entire company. That would be a feat if it wasn't Valve.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Vivaldi Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #4826
    September 2014
    3,035 Posts
    If you cant access comp, it shows you a screen that says you need to be premium, have 2 way auth with your mobile and need to be casual level 3 - the casual thing wasnt there before.

Not only that but it says you can move your cursor over the images to get more info, which doesnt work aswell. Then there is the text not mentioning the casual level at all.
    And then there is what seemingly implies that you can avoid the Casual Level requirment if you play for a ticket.

I mentioned this before but what this essentially comes down to is that a friend of mine wanted to try comp and he is casual level 2. He shouldnt be able to play if the new casual thing was supposed to function, yet comp was available for him.
    The fact that that slipped through does make me think Comp was planned for JI and is almost done, just not finished.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 4Late Late x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #4827
    May 2008
    198 Posts
    Not too long ago, someone mentioned that one reason Banana Bay likely wouldn't see comp play because someone would have to just sit on the cart. This got me thinking not just about that map, but all payload/plr maps. This is from a casual perspective and not necessarily intended to address comp, even though that was the starting point.

What if payload carts could be "captured" like control points, causing them to move forward even if unattended? There would need to be some kind of HUD element showing it, like a " >>>> " with each arrow grayed out or not. Each time the team stays near the cart for long enough, another > would light up, until it reached its speed limit. Perhaps each successive > would take longer to "capture." An enemy player touching the cart would naturally stop the cart, removing any > it had.

I imagine this would be in-addition-to regular pushing, rather than instead-of. That is, the cart still moves anytime its team is near it (and not blocked), and the capturing would apply unattended speed only.

This would be nice, because it sucks when the whole rest of your team is off getting into fights/taking positions and you're stuck pushing the cart with nothing happening. "Someone has to do it "

It might also require a little more effort from defense. I mean it wouldn't change much for active defenders, but those who just camp and wait might have to come out in the open on occasion. A sentry alone wouldn't be able to stop a rolling cart. Someone would have to get down there near it, at least briefly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #4828
    March 2011
    13,899 Posts
    Not too long ago, someone mentioned that one reason Banana Bay likely wouldn't see comp play because someone would have to just sit on the cart. This got me thinking not just about that map, but all payload/plr maps. This is from a casual perspective and not necessarily intended to address comp, even though that was the starting point.

What if payload carts could be "captured" like control points, causing them to move forward even if unattended? There would need to be some kind of HUD element showing it, like a " >>>> " with each arrow grayed out or not. Each time the team stays near the cart for long enough, another > would light up, until it reached its speed limit. Perhaps each successive > would take longer to "capture." An enemy player touching the cart would naturally stop the cart, removing any > it had.

I imagine this would be in-addition-to regular pushing, rather than instead-of. That is, the cart still moves anytime its team is near it (and not blocked), and the capturing would apply unattended speed only.

This would be nice, because it sucks when the whole rest of your team is off getting into fights/taking positions and you're stuck pushing the cart with nothing happening. "Someone has to do it "

It might also require a little more effort from defense. I mean it wouldn't change much for active defenders, but those who just camp and wait might have to come out in the open on occasion. A sentry alone wouldn't be able to stop a rolling cart. Someone would have to get down there near it, at least briefly.
    Not everything in TF2 needs to be changed for competitive play. I personally don't want the game to be super serious all the time. Payload race especially.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

29. Post #4829
    May 2008
    198 Posts
    I actually said it wasn't intended to help competitive play. My hope is that it would make payload more fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #4830
    July 2010
    1,237 Posts
    This is why comp is dead right now, it needs easier accessibility like lvl 25 in casual or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

31. Post #4831
    March 2011
    13,899 Posts
    You know how many people smurf in Overwatch
    Think that but double it because this game only needs $5 to make it premium
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #4832
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    11,471 Posts
    I don't know what to think of pyro's damage anymore, because from a general pov all other classes can evaporate others just as efficiently. It's somewhat more equal this way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

33. Post #4833
    May 2008
    198 Posts
    I don't know what to think of pyro's damage anymore, because from a general pov all other classes can evaporate others just as efficiently. It's somewhat more equal this way.
    Except that no aim is required and there's no firing interval or clip size limitation and you can deal full damage to multiple targets simultaneously.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

34. Post #4834
    April 2016
    1,484 Posts
    Is there a version of Banana bay without the payloads on it? It seems like it'd make a fun deathmatch map for community servers.

I like the design of the map too, lots of means of getting around and it seems to work well with all 9 classes fairly effectively. Only thing I really dislike about the map is how the water sort of pushs you around a bit here and there.

35. Post #4835
    ASIC's security and investment consultation.
    March 2013
    3,610 Posts
    Banana Bay (Arena)?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Show Events Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #4836
    August 2014
    2,002 Posts
    Except that no aim is required and there's no firing interval or clip size limitation and you can deal full damage to multiple targets simultaneously.

Yeah, if there's one thing that bugs me about Dragon's Fury, it's that it does way too much damage way too fast, even for a flamethrower. Its design suggested that it would be a longer ranged fireball flinger, but in practice it's just a flamethrower with much higher burst damage, but much worse in every other situation. The only flamethrower that I can see as being equal to it right now would be the Degreaser just for the ability to still flarepunch people.

Give it a bit more range, slow down its firing speed in general, and lessen the damage it does on constant hits, maybe that would help.

Also, the Gas Passer is a cool concept, but it relies on your team way too much. I could see it actually having a niche on a more utility-based Pyro in 6s or HL, setting the entire enemy team on fire for 10 seconds after they walk through a tight corridor would be super good, but in normal play it's fucking awful to use and literally any other secondary is more useful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome Show Events

37. Post #4837
    Gold Member
    September 2012
    5,517 Posts
    The gas passer is only useful in MVM, honestly it's a fucking fantastic MVM weapon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

38. Post #4838
    May 2008
    198 Posts
    Yeah, if there's one thing that bugs me about Dragon's Fury, it's that it does way too much damage way too fast, even for a flamethrower. Its design suggested that it would be a longer ranged fireball flinger, but in practice it's just a flamethrower with much higher burst damage, but much worse in every other situation. The only flamethrower that I can see as being equal to it right now would be the Degreaser just for the ability to still flarepunch people.

Give it a bit more range, slow down its firing speed in general, and lessen the damage it does on constant hits, maybe that would help.

Also, the Gas Passer is a cool concept, but it relies on your team way too much. I could see it actually having a niche on a more utility-based Pyro in 6s or HL, setting the entire enemy team on fire for 10 seconds after they walk through a tight corridor would be super good, but in normal play it's fucking awful to use and literally any other secondary is more useful.
    I thought we were talking about regular flamethrowers. I mean you're not wrong about the DF by and large, but stock wrecks people just as fast and doesn't have to stop firing for even a half second.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Show Events

39. Post #4839
    April 2016
    1,484 Posts
    Banana Bay (Arena)?
    Not arena, I want one that has respawns still... So you can just really DM the entire time...

Also, I cannot wait for the influx of Diamond Back spy complaints BTW... IF people hated the ambassador in pub matches, you know the lowered skill floor based Diamondback is going to become a problem sooner or later. Where as the Ambassador requires actual aimming and skill to pull of headshots, diamondback you can do just by body shotting after murdering a braindead team or engie nest.

40. Post #4840
    June 2014
    815 Posts
    But current flames is sort of equivalent to the game turning on auto-aim to score 105 dmg Scattergun meatshots or 112 dmg rocket directs for you as soon as you get within close(ish) range as Scout or Soldier. The great majority of players can't do that reliably and consitently, especially not your average pubber in a crowded and chaotic Valve server. Flamethrowers might not outperform the other classes' primaries in terms of theoretical DPS or in high-skill environments, but they sure as hell allow pretty much anyone to deal maximum possible damage as soon as they get close enough. Always. And without needing to reload or running out of ammo in the magazine.

Of course, there's Pyro's serious range issues, lack of advanced mobility w/o sacrificing ranged weapons for a clunky Jetpack, and a host of other advantages the top competitive classes still hold over Pyros, I'm not saying that the class is suddently an unstoppable, non-counterable force...

It's just that it's so binary now. Stay outside their range, and you can take down the vast majority of Pyros quite easily with many classes. If they manage to get within your range, you'll be taking a guaranteed 170+ DPS from any day 1 newbie that manages to point their crosshair vaguely into your general direction while holding M1. Absolutely no random, crappy Valve server Scout, Soldier, Demo, Shotty Engineer etc. (maybe even a clumsy Heavy) would be reliably and constantly dealing that kind of damage to you.

I don't want to sound elitistic, as I'm far from a good Pyro and don't claim to have had perfect flame tracking aim before the update, but this sort of damage output ''equalizing'' in the name of consistency is pretty ridiculous. I can see many growing to resent the new Pyro even more than ever before and the class being viewed as a brainless, W+M1 mockery and subject of ridicule. With rather good reasons, honestly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)