1. Post #281
    No title or gold masterrace, whoops.
    July 2012
    9,243 Posts
    I somehow always end up buying 16:10 monitors. Don't even know why as there are way more 16:9 out there that would piss me off because less black bars everywhere.

2. Post #282
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    19,923 Posts
    .Whiteboards were an awful idea to be honest, they're 90%+ shitposting.
    Can confirm, the one in the shop I work at is 10% visualised schematics of sorts, 90% bad jokes.

3. Post #283
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,212 Posts
    Had the first check up at the optometrist today to see how shit is progressing. I remembered my script wrong and it was -5.25 not -7.25 which aligns better with what wikipedia said. With only two nights of wearing the contacts I'm already back to a -2 and today I didn't have to wear glasses at all (though I was given loaner -2.25 glasses in case I needed to see better before it reaches full strength).

I can't believe how fucking fast it changed, I was honestly expecting more like a week before I'd be able to forgo glasses completely. Science is neat.

4. Post #284
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,688 Posts
    my eye doc said im 20/400. any thing that is not 4 inches away from my face becomes blurry

5. Post #285
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    4,098 Posts
    I'm pretty much blind in my left eye because of amblyopia. Can't even read my tablet screen a few inches away with that eye.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #286
    your lack of title is bothering me
    January 2013
    3,413 Posts
    I've been pretty fortunate with my eyesight to the point that I'm like 20-18 or something. Only one in my family not to have glasses, but I really do wonder how much staring at screens all day will hurt that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #287
    January 2015
    384 Posts
    Got almost perfect eyesight according to my eye test last year, but I feel deterioration near the bottom left of my center vision. I can't explain it - I can see fine but it doesn't feel right there.

8. Post #288
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    10,005 Posts
    My eyeshit is utter shit. Stupidly near-sighted to the point where I can't use a computer well without my glasses.
    My whole family is like this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #289
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    4,098 Posts
    So I've just learned how to search for email addresses using python and regular expressions. The amount of people posting their email addresses on places like instructables amazes me...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #290
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    6,050 Posts
    I'm pretty much blind in my left eye because of amblyopia. Can't even read my tablet screen a few inches away with that eye.
    Amblyopia is a bitch, my dominant eye has it and it's uncorrectable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #291
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    14,459 Posts
    I've been pretty fortunate with my eyesight to the point that I'm like 20-18 or something. Only one in my family not to have glasses, but I really do wonder how much staring at screens all day will hurt that.
    Not as good as 6/3
    Imagine having binoculars for eyes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

12. Post #292
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,212 Posts
    Bank is down atm, so atms don't work and I just had to fucking sign to pay for groceries.

What is the world coming to.

13. Post #293
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,665 Posts
    Bank is down atm, so atms don't work and I just had to fucking sign to pay for groceries.

In Denmark most people barely use cash.. In fact I haven't carried cash in years (except when I was visiting a friend in NL.. Apparently VISA isn't worth much there). Heck some shops can't even give cash back if anybody tries to pay, we even pay with our phones..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Safari Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #294
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,212 Posts
    In Denmark most people barely use cash.. In fact I haven't carried cash in years (except when I was visiting a friend in NL.. Apparently VISA isn't worth much there). Heck some shops can't even give cash back if anybody tries to pay, we even pay with our phones..
    I wouldn't either but my landlord wants rent in cash so he doesn't have to pay tax so that's the only thing I use it for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

15. Post #295
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    19,923 Posts
    Exact opposite where I live, except for small purchases with contactless.

But I'm in udkantsDanmark, soo...

16. Post #296
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    14,459 Posts

Stage 2

17. Post #297
    Gold Member

May 2010
    6,283 Posts
    I wouldn't either but my landlord wants rent in cash so he doesn't have to pay tax so that's the only thing I use it for.
    good 'ol tax evasion
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #298
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    5,784 Posts
    Day 4: Google weather on my phone still thinks that it's 40c outside.

19. Post #299
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    29,652 Posts
    Day 4: Google weather on my phone still thinks that it's 40c outside.
    Global warming is a bitch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #300
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    29,652 Posts
    Are spoofed text message scams a thing now? I normally get spam calls from clearly spoofed numbers since the area code and first 3 digits are identical to mine, but now I received a text message saying "Hey" following the exact same phone number spoofing.

Not sure if I should even bother replying, but it is tempting to fuck with them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #301
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,105 Posts
    God dammit, I've been faithful on keeping redundant (+ cloud) backups of all my important data but for some reason my external and internal HDDs decided to go at the same time and corrupted some of my PS3 game archive

Fuck spinnydisks

22. Post #302
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,212 Posts
    God dammit, I've been faithful on keeping redundant (+ cloud) backups of all my important data but for some reason my external and internal HDDs decided to go at the same time and corrupted some of my PS3 game archive

Fuck spinnydisks
    I accidentally deleted some stuff last night but the backups are 300 km away.

23. Post #303
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,966 Posts
    I started looking into trying to get Ethernet into my room instead of using wifi. Apparently it's going to be a bit of hassle getting the cable through the walls and such.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #304
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    10,005 Posts
    I started looking into trying to get Ethernet into my room instead of using wifi. Apparently it's going to be a bit of hassle getting the cable through the walls and such.
    I had to do this a bit ago. There was some coax running through already but it was still a pain to pull it out and then run the ethernet cable through

25. Post #305
    April 2012
    1,197 Posts
    I had to do this a bit ago. There was some coax running through already but it was still a pain to pull it out and then run the ethernet cable through
    The cable wasn't even ours and I threw it in the trash

26. Post #306
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,717 Posts
    The fan position of the MacBook Pro 2015 13 inch is fucking superb. I don't feel like I have to constantly worry about blocking the vent.

27. Post #307
    The XPS 15 venting is also pretty neat. The intake is a giant grill on the middle of the bottom, and the vent goes out the back but with the screen open it goes up the screen. Whole thing seems really cleverly designed.

28. Post #308
    I managed to get through to Comcast Support and they even said they could send out a survey to look at my property to see if Gigabit Pro is available to me. But it's still $300 a month, $1000 install fee and 2yr agreement. But It's brand new fiber, dedicated strands I believe.

I only mention it because 2 weeks later my internet took a shit again. 3mbps upload and download randomly hits 15mbps. They said they have work scheduled but no ETA. And I was looking forward to streaming on the weekend.

29. Post #309
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,514 Posts
    I managed to get through to Comcast Support and they even said they could send out a survey to look at my property to see if Gigabit Pro is available to me. But it's still $300 a month, $1000 install fee and 2yr agreement. But It's brand new fiber, dedicated strands I believe.

I only mention it because 2 weeks later my internet took a shit again. 3mbps upload and download randomly hits 15mbps. They said they have work scheduled but no ETA. And I was looking forward to streaming on the weekend.
    Does it seem to be a last mile issue, or from their network edge to the internet? because Comcast frequently has saturated edge routes, and that's gonna be shitty whether you have fiber or not.

30. Post #310
    Well right now My speeds to Xfinity's own network is lacking. But my routing to Twitch in miami also sucks. So both I guess.

If I had my own house, I'd get gigabit pro right now. Problem is I'm looking to move early next year sometime. And It has a 2yr contract, which will cost me like a car to cancel when I move.

31. Post #311
    December 2014
    1,275 Posts
    I was trying to "fix" a problem with the VPN at the office's router from home (evening right now, nobody is at the office), but I accidentally fucked up a setting having to do with ISP connection and now nobody there can probably connect to the internet, and therefore I am locked out of it. Now I have to go over there in person tomorrow morning, on a Sunday morning, to fix it.

Never configure network infrastructure when not by it in person.

Fuck me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Waterfox Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #312
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,212 Posts
    I was trying to "fix" a problem with the VPN at the office's router from home (evening right now, nobody is at the office), but I accidentally fucked up a setting having to do with ISP connection and now nobody there can probably connect to the internet, and therefore I am locked out of it. Now I have to go over there in person tomorrow morning, on a Sunday morning, to fix it.

Fuck me.
    Always make me nervous configuring network interfaces over SSH half way across the world even though I know I can unfuck it via the IDRAC KVM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #313
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,307 Posts

Fuck me.
    "reload in 5" is always important on Cisco stuff, or Mikrotik's "Safe Mode". I work on a lot of stuff that's pretty remote, as in, if I fucked it up it would involve a three hour drive and a kilometer of snowshoeing up hill. Allllways have a fallback plan and triple check your commands.

34. Post #314
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    19,239 Posts
    Every single Discord "server" I'm on is down.
    Shit broke.

https://twitter.com/discordapp/statu...74891951226883

35. Post #315
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    4,369 Posts
    Every single Discord "server" I'm on is down.
    Shit broke.

https://twitter.com/discordapp/statu...74891951226883
    At least it still maintains the ability to call people individually on it.

36. Post #316
    Lemons in Bulk
    May 2005
    6,787 Posts
    "reload in 5" is always important on Cisco stuff, or Mikrotik's "Safe Mode". I work on a lot of stuff that's pretty remote, as in, if I fucked it up it would involve a three hour drive and a kilometer of snowshoeing up hill. Allllways have a fallback plan and triple check your commands.
    When everyone in town uses weak wifi passwords like "catscats", "eggseggs", "beerbeer", its easy to configure backup OpenVPN connections ;)

That being said those are the passwords to various business' guest networks in town. Not worth the effort to put up decent guest systems in a town of 3000. Just get a TP-Link C7 and click "enable guest network".