1. Post #361
    your lack of title is bothering me
    January 2013
    3,417 Posts
    Half tempted to just link him to the WSL documentation and say "install and use this instead if you really want to use Windows".
    After awhile you've really just gotta start putting boundaries. Like having him only ask you questions on really specific things that you can answer simply.

Otherwise you're gonna get stuck repeatedly having to walk him through everything.

2. Post #362
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    29,663 Posts
    After awhile you've really just gotta start putting boundaries. Like having him only ask you questions on really specific things that you can answer simply.

Otherwise you're gonna get stuck repeatedly having to walk him through everything.
    That's normally my MO but when he starts the conversation by asking "do you know how to configure nginx" I thought his questions would be about something a little more complex like "how do you proxy to a different application," not "how do you digest error messages because I cloned some random's GitHub repo and didn't bother to change environment variables?"

3. Post #363
    Ask me about
    the stick
    up my ass
    April 2010
    11,475 Posts
    Before FF57, my firefox kept crashing every day. Just got a firefox has quit error message.

Now with FF57, it was only the Facebook tab that crashed. I wonder why though, is it because of Ghostery and uBlock blocking so many ads on facebook and it keeping pushing them to me that it crashes or what.
    I don't know about Facebook in particular but some sites seem to have serious issues. For example Youtube for me spams the console with errors so freaking hard that I can't open the web dev tools at all or it'll totally lock it up.

For example this is a minute worth of errors according to Firefox's command line function (shift+F2): (To be fair this is both errors and warnings though.)
    And even just that function still makes Firefox basically unusable while it's lagging. I'm not sure if this is because Youtube is just that shitty or if it's Magic Actions, Ghostery, or uMatrix causing issues.

4. Post #364
    No title or gold masterrace, whoops.
    July 2012
    9,249 Posts
    How do you guys deal with peers who lean on you a little too much? Got a buddy who is otherwise a competent web developer who is trying to use nginx, but can't seem to wrap his head around the fact that he's still running Windows and needs to use Windows paths for the root paths directives, despite the error message blatantly complaining about the Unix-style path not resolving.

I don't know how to call him an idiot without straight up calling him an idiot
    People that don't read shit that appears on screen can't be saved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 9Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #365
    your lack of title is bothering me
    January 2013
    3,417 Posts
    That's normally my MO but when he starts the conversation by asking "do you know how to configure nginx" I thought his questions would be about something a little more complex like "how do you proxy to a different application," not "how do you digest error messages because I cloned some random's GitHub repo and didn't bother to change environment variables?"
    Just set up a LMGTFY shortcut on his desktop.

Problem solved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #366
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    4,105 Posts
    I'm away from my computer at the moment but I'll post it tonight. It's not perfect and it has the possibility to delete your files if the target directory doesn't exist

Edited:

So use at your own risk. Maybe make a backup beforehand the first time just in case.

https://pastebin.com/Yz6AsEaa

Place in downloads folder.
    You will need to modify it so it matches your directory, unless your name is Lee of course. I'm new to Python and programming so it isn't very good.

Word of warning. Make sure the file destination is correct. I made a type (video instead of videos) and it renamed all the video files to "video", overwriting each one until it reached the end. I ended up with one video file with no extension. Use at your own risk!

7. Post #367
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,970 Posts
    I don't even understand how you guys need unlimited data though.

I use my phone for Waze, Spotify, tethering for work, messaging, a lot of absentminded news site / reddit / 4chan browsing and I don't even crack 2GB/mo even tho I have an unlimited plan

It just seems like anywhere I'd want to even use mass quantities of data is just some place with wifi or no reception anyway
    I tend to use 4-6GB a month and it really depends on how often I go out to places without wifi. Commute on a bus always burns through a lot because you're bored.

8. Post #368
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,678 Posts

Hmm looks good :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #369
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,734 Posts
    I think it's time for a new computer, ballads

10. Post #370
    Something loli Please no dont post pussy toxxes, go hard or go home gays promise ahahahahaahah dick tape balls trump
    September 2011
    26,380 Posts
    You put a Pascal card in a Core 2 Quad...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

11. Post #371
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    8,982 Posts
    Instead of bottlenecking, his computer is more like hourglassing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

12. Post #372
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,678 Posts
    I think it's time for a new computer, ballads
    its a side pc needed for files and such. and

I put that card in it because I needed hdmi to hook up to my monitor for when it doesnt boot

Edited:

its also a gt1030 so shit card

13. Post #373
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,734 Posts
    my mans even still you could get a mini ITX Celeron/Ryzen 3 computer that's more powerful, takes up less space, uses less energy, and is probably quieter

14. Post #374
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,678 Posts
    my mans even still you could get a mini ITX Celeron/Ryzen 3 computer that's more powerful, takes up less space, uses less energy, and is probably quieter
    this was free... and its pretty silent my only complaint is the hard drive is 250gigs and its slower than balls.

15. Post #375
    Lemons in Bulk
    May 2005
    6,791 Posts

Hmm looks good :P
    My Optiplex 780 can take your Inspiron 537s in a fight!

I am replacing it with an i7-2600 Optiplex 990 tomorrow mind you...

16. Post #376
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,678 Posts
    Slightly high on a price scale. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Yg2ptJ for 12tb storage home server.

17. Post #377
    Lemons in Bulk
    May 2005
    6,791 Posts
    Slightly high on a price scale. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Yg2ptJ for 12tb storage home server.
    Change those HDDs to WD Reds at the very least.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #378
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,678 Posts

19. Post #379
    Something loli Please no dont post pussy toxxes, go hard or go home gays promise ahahahahaahah dick tape balls trump
    September 2011
    26,380 Posts
    Poor man's storage server.

20. Post #380
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,224 Posts

:wtc:

Edited:

How long as that emote been gone for.

21. Post #381
    September 2011
    26,380 Posts

:wtc:

Edited:

How long as that emote been gone for.
    A while ago now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #382
    Lemons in Bulk
    May 2005
    6,791 Posts
    A while ago now.
    What is dead may never die.

Why is this so large.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

23. Post #383
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    14,481 Posts
    Classic

turns out twitch also allow to use vanilla commands with superior periods...

bummer means I cannot use them