1. Post #1161
    SK17a
    October 2010
    21,007 Posts
    the current Wirecutter pick, tested against hacksaws and boltcutters, is $70. But any hardened u-lock from a proper bike store puts you above 90% of other bikes already.

And it's kinda a dick move but you should keep in mind that a bike thief has two things in mind: ease to steal and ease to resell. You can make your bike a worse target by parking it next to a prettier, more expensive-looking, or less sturdily secured bike.
    Try to find friends who can buy things like bikes directly and resell them to you. The bike shops typically mark up everything by twice their bulk purchase price.

2. Post #1162
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,732 Posts
    Final verdict: second ram channel is dead, slots 3 and 4 don't work

Let's hope newegg will just do a flat replacement and I don't have to deal with the manufacturer warranty at all

3. Post #1163
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    9,733 Posts
    So I'm making a Portal infinity mirror for my BF for christmas and I'm not sure which would be better. Neopixels or EL tape? Neopixels let me do full animation, but EL tape lets me just have smooth even lighting all around. I gotta order everything today for it to get here in time.

Something like this:

But styled like a Portal. If I do EL tape that means it's stuck in blue or orange, wheras if I go with Neopixels I can make it flicker and flash and change colors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #1164
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,732 Posts
    I guess Newegg isn't thorough enough to notice a microscopic nick on a single trace

5. Post #1165
    Lemons in Bulk
    May 2005
    6,827 Posts
    So I'm making a Portal infinity mirror for my BF for christmas and I'm not sure which would be better. Neopixels or EL tape? Neopixels let me do full animation, but EL tape lets me just have smooth even lighting all around. I gotta order everything today for it to get here in time.

Something like this:

But styled like a Portal. If I do EL tape that means it's stuck in blue or orange, wheras if I go with Neopixels I can make it flicker and flash and change colors.
    Neopixels, add a bluetooth receiver to it and make it flash when his phone is ringing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

6. Post #1166
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    10,116 Posts

Should I? It's no Oculus or Vive but for the price I don't think I care.

Edited:

Oh my God. The dealership just called and they forgot to apply a rebate to my car. They have a $700 check with my name on it. Guess it was meant to be.
    You're better off with an Oculus tbh.
    The Mixed Reality headsets still have some tracking issues and the controllers are less than spectacular.

7. Post #1167
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    9,733 Posts
    Neopixels, add a bluetooth receiver to it and make it flash when his phone is ringing.
    It wouldn't really have any functionality besides looking pretty. I'm probably going to go with EL wire because it's cheap and easy and looks really good. Everyone has an LED infinity mirror. Not many peoples have an EL infinity mirror.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #1168
    Lemons in Bulk
    May 2005
    6,827 Posts
    It wouldn't really have any functionality besides looking pretty. I'm probably going to go with EL wire because it's cheap and easy and looks really good. Everyone has an LED infinity mirror. Not many peoples have an EL infinity mirror.
    That isn't smart nor IoT enough. Does it support a 3/4G or wifi method of changing which EL wire is illuminated? Is there at least a passwordless telnet server attached?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

9. Post #1169

not good with computer

June 2013
    2,843 Posts
    That isn't smart nor IoT enough. Does it support a 3/4G or wifi method of changing which EL wire is illuminated? Is there at least a passwordless telnet server attached?
    It needs to phone home to Trekintosh's personal server every 5 minutes to remain active. Trek will give up on the server after 6 months.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #1170
    Just had lunch at the Square HQ with a friend who works there. Place is like a mall, it's massive. I also felt completely out of place.

11. Post #1171
    SK17a
    October 2010
    21,007 Posts
    You're better off with an Oculus tbh.
    The Mixed Reality headsets still have some tracking issues and the controllers are less than spectacular.
    Best VR headset to date is still the HTC Vive?

12. Post #1172
    🥓            🍩            🍗            🍔            🍟            🍕            🍪            🌭            🌮            🍤            🥑            🧀            🍿            🍙            🍣            🍦            🍧            🍮           🍭
    August 2010
    8,771 Posts
    I got this for $5 at Goodwill

Looking at the pins, I found why it ended up in Goodwill
    One little bent pin

Fixed it maybe? I need DDR3 to test this board.

13. Post #1173
    October 2005
    10,116 Posts
    Best VR headset to date is still the HTC Vive?
    Honestly they're both pretty evenly matched but the Rift is a far better value. It's cheaper, the controllers are better, and at this point it comes with like 2-3 bundled games that are of really top quality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #1174
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    20,047 Posts

https://i.imgur.com/648Owee.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/XqrkGsh.jpg

One little bent pin

https://i.imgur.com/6Lsj3oO.jpg
    Get a jewelers pliers kit to straighten it out.

15. Post #1175
    🥓            🍩            🍗            🍔            🍟            🍕            🍪            🌭            🌮            🍤            🥑            🧀            🍿            🍙            🍣            🍦            🍧            🍮           🍭
    August 2010
    8,771 Posts
    I don't know how I feel about bending the pin any more given the bent ripped half the connection. It does drop perfectly into the socket though.

16. Post #1176
    Honestly they're both pretty evenly matched but the Rift is a far better value. It's cheaper, the controllers are better, and at this point it comes with like 2-3 bundled games that are of really top quality.
    Yeah, but... facebook.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #1177
    October 2005
    10,116 Posts
    Yeah, but... facebook.
    I'm speaking on purely value and tech here.
    In terms of development philosophy the Vive is better in pretty much every regard, Valve tries to be as inclusive as they can with SteamVR which is great and offer a lot of updates.

However HTC who actually manufacture the Vive are...less than great. Their support is horrid and replacement controllers and parts are really really expensive, especially as there's some known flaws in their design.

Basically SteamVR as a platform is fantastic (though still lacking in a lot of consumer-focused areas vs the Rift) but the vive as hardware can be mediocre at times despite the better tracking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #1178
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    9,006 Posts
    Or even easier, just use any 5mm or 7mm mechanical pencil. This was a little trick I've learned back in the days of socket 370, and it hasn't failed me yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

19. Post #1179
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    November 2005
    23,081 Posts
    Bike theft is an issue in just about every part of the world, which is why you invest in a sturdy U-bolt lock:

Unless someone wants to bring a power grinder and have a go at it for 10 minutes while making sparks and racketing everywhere, no one can steal your bike.
    Screw u-bolts, inflexible and can't lock up both wheels at once while also securing it.

Chains and lock combined worth more than the bike I ride daily and good luck getting bolt cutters through those, only way you're gonna get bolt cutters onto that chain is if its left loose which it never is, and after you've spent 3 minutes ripping off the fabric shroud only to show 10mm of case hardened boron steel under it. So unless someone is carrying around big ass industrial grade cutters, they ain't getting through this at any quick rate, especially the padlock.

And yeah I put two of these fuckers on it, secure both wheels, people call it overkill but after having multiple wheels and bikes stolen, I prefer the excessive look it gives, haven't had any issues since getting them.

20. Post #1180
    December 2011
    1,308 Posts
    It's funny, my friend's cheapo bike lock seized up last semester while it was locked to a rack outside the student union.

Us being the brute force type we brought a cordless angle grinder and went to town on the lock to get it off. Only one person even stopped to look at all the pretty sparks flying. Nobody stopped us or asked what we were doing.

I think that just shows if you look like you're official people will just assume you are.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #1181
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    November 2005
    23,081 Posts
    It's funny, my friend's cheapo bike lock seized up last semester while it was locked to a rack outside the student union.

Us being the brute force type we brought a cordless angle grinder and went to town on the lock to get it off. Only one person even stopped to look at all the pretty sparks flying. Nobody stopped us or asked what we were doing.

I think that just shows if you look like you're official people will just assume you are.
    Bystander effect and diffusion of responsibility are really odd phenomenons.
    People see guy going at it with an angle grinder, they very likely ain't gonna do anything about it because it ain't their responsibility or they don't want to get involved.

22. Post #1182
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    11,922 Posts

I mean, part of why Kevin Mitnick was so successful in thwarting security was just based on that principle alone.

And really its true. I've had to call tech support for a phone system our client uses, and they just gave me credentials to certain data that I could use to just clone phones. Just because I claimed to be a contractor.

23. Post #1183
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    9,733 Posts
    It needs to phone home to Trekintosh's personal server every 5 minutes to remain active. Trek will give up on the server after 6 months.
    I should put up a mirror activity tracker at www.trekintosh.com

24. Post #1184
    SK17a
    October 2010
    21,007 Posts
    I just opened my replacement (brand new) Logitech G610 Orion Red and man it feels so nice and new compared to my existing 8-9 month old one.

25. Post #1185
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,123 Posts
    So now you should spend that $700 on a Vive instead.
    i like windows mr

you get a little breakdown if you hold the controllers too close to your face but it just werks otherwise and its nice to actually be able to see the ironsights in h3vr

1440x1440 / 1400x1600 per-eye resolution aint no joke and it works good with steamvr - once you play Take and Hold in H3vr all other FPSes seem mildly lacking in the panicked magazine dropping beating a hotdog over the head with an ACOG scope while desperately trying to pull your pistol out department

26. Post #1186
    Something loli Please no dont post pussy toxxes, go hard or go home gays promise ahahahahaahah dick tape balls trump
    September 2011
    26,659 Posts
    So I might die in the next few days. Hint. My event log has my fate sealed.

27. Post #1187
    Eh, that burger doesn't look that big. It's big, sure, but probably wouldn't even cut it as a challenge burger in some parts of the US. Just prepare properly and pace yourself and you'll make it through.

Unless it's also a spicy-food challenge - ghost pepper burgers are apparently a thing. Then, yeah, you're gonna fucking die.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #1188

not good with computer

June 2013
    2,843 Posts
    as an American I eat that for lunch every day, you'll be ok
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #1189
    Lemons in Bulk
    May 2005
    6,827 Posts
    Difficulty 2/5 stars? Pfffft.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #1190
    Sock Queen
    August 2008
    16,117 Posts
    Well that just seems silly :(

31. Post #1191
    Something loli Please no dont post pussy toxxes, go hard or go home gays promise ahahahahaahah dick tape balls trump
    September 2011
    26,659 Posts
    Itís all for good fun though. Iíll be fine.

32. Post #1192
    Sock Queen
    August 2008
    16,117 Posts
    Itís all for good fun though. Iíll be fine.
    don't die.

33. Post #1193
    October 2005
    10,116 Posts
    i like windows mr

you get a little breakdown if you hold the controllers too close to your face but it just werks otherwise and its nice to actually be able to see the ironsights in h3vr

1440x1440 / 1400x1600 per-eye resolution aint no joke and it works good with steamvr - once you play Take and Hold in H3vr all other FPSes seem mildly lacking in the panicked magazine dropping beating a hotdog over the head with an ACOG scope while desperately trying to pull your pistol out department
    That's the Samsung oddysey in particular, but yeah you're pretty much correct.
    And I can confirm, the panicked "oh fuck get away from me" flailing in VR is great sometimes

34. Post #1194
    picked up an x230 for $170, now I just need the guy to ship it so I can autismally run tests on it for the 10 days I'm allowed a refund

One little bent pin

That's a really pretty color scheme, actually. Is the clearer color more like a gold or an old computer beige in person?

35. Post #1195
    No title or gold masterrace, whoops.
    July 2012
    9,298 Posts
    Screw u-bolts, inflexible and can't lock up both wheels at once while also securing it.

Chains and lock combined worth more than the bike I ride daily and good luck getting bolt cutters through those, only way you're gonna get bolt cutters onto that chain is if its left loose which it never is, and after you've spent 3 minutes ripping off the fabric shroud only to show 10mm of case hardened boron steel under it. So unless someone is carrying around big ass industrial grade cutters, they ain't getting through this at any quick rate, especially the padlock.

And yeah I put two of these fuckers on it, secure both wheels, people call it overkill but after having multiple wheels and bikes stolen, I prefer the excessive look it gives, haven't had any issues since getting them.
    Use both, more importantly also chain it to something. It's all about making it a pain in the ass for as long as possible.