1. Post #921

Frosty ❄️ Member

July 2010
    12,870 Posts
    Overclocking takes like 30 minutes and gives you decent performance improvements for free.
    It doesn't even take 30 minutes, I did mine in 5 and monitored thermals and stability through use.

2. Post #922
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    10,116 Posts
    My bottleneck is currently my GPU, no need to bump up my 1600's clocks yet, and my RAM runs at its advertised speed (3000) out of the box with an XMP so I'm happy as can be.

3. Post #923
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    9,733 Posts
    Yo how feasible would it be to remove one bezel of the side of my pair of ultra cheapo LG Ultrawides? I wanna have a minimal seam on the monitors.

4. Post #924
    SK17a
    October 2010
    21,007 Posts
    Overclocking takes like 30 minutes and gives you decent performance improvements for free.
    I just be doing something wrong because I can't get the same overclocking performance as some others.

5. Post #925
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,702 Posts
    maybe I dont want to?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

6. Post #926
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    11,922 Posts
    Some people are totally happy with their stock performance, can't be bothered doing it, aren't comfortable with it
    I've never OC'd before and I'm not really planning to start, my bottlenecks right now are just ridiculous VRAM / RAM requirements
    Its also not uncommon for it to introduce "weird" problems. Not like outright crashes or anything, just weirdness. I've encountered weird microstuttering problems on my 2500k in some games for absolutely no reason other than it was overclocked. Set it back to stock and its back to normal. Motherboard? Maybe. Problem with the game? Possibly. Can't explain it, but it happens. Some people don't want to deal with that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #927
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,311 Posts
    My bottleneck is currently my GPU, no need to bump up my 1600's clocks yet, and my RAM runs at its advertised speed (3000) out of the box with an XMP so I'm happy as can be.
    Bump up GPU clocks.

8. Post #928
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    19,265 Posts
    The latest AGESA adds the option to disable the Platform Security Processor.
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Disable-Option

Hoooooooly shit. They actually did it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

9. Post #929
    Sock Queen
    August 2008
    16,117 Posts
    The latest AGESA adds the option to disable the Platform Security Processor.
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Disable-Option

Hoooooooly shit. They actually did it.
    No they didn't, This is misleading.
    Check https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...171#post994171

ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac description for this flag is Enable Disable BIOS PSP driver execution (including all C2P/P2C mailbox. Secure S3. fTPM Support)
    This disabled communication between the UEFI driver and the PSP, the PSP is still very much there. In effect it isolates the PSP. It can still do whatever it wants.

I got hopeful about this too but it's still not what we want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

10. Post #930
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    19,265 Posts
    Yeah, it bootstraps the entire chip, you can't fully turn it off.
    But it's about as good as we're going to get. Not allowing any communication from the OS to the PSP means that malware can't attack it, since it doesn't have the same type of network crap as Intel ME.

11. Post #931
    your lack of title is bothering me
    January 2013
    3,453 Posts
    Cats?

Cats.

Meow.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Friendly Friendly x 10Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #932
    Sock Queen
    August 2008
    16,117 Posts
    Yeah, it bootstraps the entire chip, you can't fully turn it off.
    But it's about as good as we're going to get. Not allowing any communication from the OS to the PSP means that malware can't attack it, since it doesn't have the same type of network crap as Intel ME.
    We don't know that for certain. Fact is, PSP remains unresearched in the public space so we barely even know what capability its OS even has. It would have complete network access over DMA so it's impossible to rule that out, and as we've recently seen with the ME USB JTAG vuln, there are far more many vectors for attack than just OS.

Don't become complacent. This is a pretty nice step overall but we still need more from AMD.

Edited:

Actually, I recalled something. PSP does have visible network on it. DASH. Implemented in Ryzen Pro, remote manageability just like AMT. So yes, network connectivity just like ME.
    It's also worth noting that right now we don't really know what this actually does. For all we know this is a debug option that accidentally got shipped, will be disabled next update, and currently is just a NOOP option and does nothing at all.

This whole thing is best approached with caution. Don't get caught in a false prophet.

13. Post #933
    your lack of title is bothering me
    January 2013
    3,453 Posts
    After the holidays I'm definitely saving up for a new mobo, CPU, cooler and ram. Might as well get a new cooler with all that since I've been using my current one for about a year or two.

Maybe PSU too.

14. Post #934
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,732 Posts
    After the holidays I'm definitely saving up for a new mobo, CPU, cooler and ram. Might as well get a new cooler with all that since I've been using my current one for about a year or two.

Maybe PSU too.
    "Might as well..." is how I ended up spending $800

15. Post #935
    SK17a
    October 2010
    21,007 Posts
    "Might as well..." is how I ended up spending $800
    "Might as well..." is also how I spent that same amount on a Nvidia 1080 Ti I use to watch YouTube videos with.

16. Post #936
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,926 Posts
    "Might as well..." is how I ended up spending $500 on a case.

17. Post #937
    "Might as well" is how I ended up with a Warthog HOTAS that I haven't even unpacked since my last move.

And a U2714H.

And my entire last build.

And most of my Steam library.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #938
    Something loli Please no dont post pussy toxxes, go hard or go home gays promise ahahahahaahah dick tape balls trump
    September 2011
    26,659 Posts
    Might as well is how I ended up with an iPhone SE. Only wanted the plan but ended up walking away with that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #939
    "Might as well..." is how I ended up spending $500 on a case.
    I want to find an all tempered glass case, but with four 3.5" bays hidden on the side. I want to move to a smaller case in general to put it on my desk.

20. Post #940
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    4,207 Posts
    If its not a A4-SFX, it's too big.

21. Post #941

Frosty ❄️ Member

July 2010
    12,870 Posts
    I'd love a modern case with more drive bays, I still like having a lot of mechanical drives, but most modern cases are designed around SSDs and maybe one or two hard drives.
    I'm using a HAF X because of the amount of drive bays for fucks sake.

22. Post #942
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,732 Posts
    I'd love a modern case with more drive bays, I still like having a lot of mechanical drives, but most modern cases are designed around SSDs and maybe one or two hard drives.
    I'm using a HAF X because of the amount of drive bays for fucks sake.
    I'm really happy to have moved to an independent NAS/file server at home, it means I can have that in a huge monolithic Define R4 with 8 bays while my new gaming rig is just in a little Define C which only has 2 bays

Edited:

The Define C doesn't even have a 5.25" drive bay

23. Post #943
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,557 Posts
    Speaking about drives, finally got those 6TBs unpacked.

Still need to burn test them and get 'em in an array.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

24. Post #944
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    9,006 Posts
    Oh boy, Intel ME just got pwned again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #945
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,557 Posts
    Oh boy, Intel ME just got pwned again
    Maybe if it happens enough, Intel will finally let people forgo its shitty spyware. This should also scare AMD into letting people lobotomize its PSP.

26. Post #946
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,311 Posts
    Updated BIOS from June release to October release, got excited when it booted with full 2933 MHz under DOCP then I put the overclock back in and it stopped POSTing. Back to 2800 with overclock like before, maybe some day.

27. Post #947
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,870 Posts
    Wait holy fuck Intel ME runs full-blown Minix with full memory and network access? Who thought having a second operating system running on a level lower than the host OS with no user control over it whatsoever was a good idea?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 3Late Late x 1 (list)

28. Post #948
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    20,047 Posts
    Wait holy fuck Intel ME runs full-blown Minix with full memory and network access? Who thought having a second operating system running a level lower than the host OS with no user control over it whatsoever was a good idea?
    NSA's wet dream come true
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

29. Post #949
    Sock Queen
    August 2008
    16,117 Posts
    Maybe if it happens enough, Intel will finally let people forgo its shitty spyware. This should also scare AMD into letting people lobotomize its PSP.
    That will never happen. Intel's made it pretty clear that the ME isn't going anywhere, and I wouldn't hold my breath for AMD either.

Edited:

Wait holy fuck Intel ME runs full-blown Minix with full memory and network access? Who thought having a second operating system running on a level lower than the host OS with no user control over it whatsoever was a good idea?
    This is only on new Skylake and up. Before, the OS was ThreadX. Still had the same privileges and abilities though.

30. Post #950
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,116 Posts
    Already possible to disable PSP since the latest Ryzen mobo update
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Late Late x 3 (list)

31. Post #951
    Sock Queen
    August 2008
    16,117 Posts
    Already possible to disable PSP since the latest Ryzen mobo update
    No they didn't, This is misleading.
    Check https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...171#post994171

ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac description for this flag is Enable Disable BIOS PSP driver execution (including all C2P/P2C mailbox. Secure S3. fTPM Support)
    This disabled communication between the UEFI driver and the PSP, the PSP is still very much there. In effect it isolates the PSP. It can still do whatever it wants.

I got hopeful about this too but it's still not what we want.
    You just have to scroll up this same page to see that, even.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #952

not good with computer

June 2013
    2,843 Posts
    My desktop is starting to show its age, it's not the spring chicken it once was

I've got an i5-3330, R9 380, 8GB DDR3 and a hard drive.

I don't want to have to toss everything but there really isn't a cost-effective upgrade path ;_;

33. Post #953
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,870 Posts
    Considering you're still on DDR3 it's not a bad time to toss everything and go to Ryzen

At least with Ryzen you'll get a few generations of compatible CPUs for your Mobo socket

34. Post #954

not good with computer

June 2013
    2,843 Posts
    Considering you're still on DDR3 it's not a bad time to toss everything and go to Ryzen

At least with Ryzen you'll get a few generations of compatible CPUs for your Mobo socket
    I wish I had Ryzen money.

35. Post #955
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    22,706 Posts
    if i genuinely prefer intel (and don't start with IME i don't consider it a threat vector), which iX do i go with?

36. Post #956
    if i genuinely prefer intel (and don't start with IME i don't consider it a threat vector), which iX do i go with?
    Depends on what you're doing with it, and how much money you want to spend.

If you want an office computer or a low-end gaming rig, get an i3.

If you want a gaming rig, get an i5.

If you do a lot of video encoding, rendering, really big compiles, or just want to waste a bit of money on status, get an i7. Only do that if you're doing it at least daily - if you do it less often, an i5 will suffice.

If you want to waste a lot of money, get an i9.

If you have already wasted a lot of money with triple- or quad-GPUs, get an i9 so you don't bottleneck on the PCIe link. And because you don't deserve to keep your money.

If you legit need more power than an i7 gets you (say, for scientific computing), you're probably looking at a Xeon, or possibly two, depending on how your workload handles NUMA.

Note that all of these are for desktop chips. Intel is really stupid and the laptop/tablet chip names have no relation to the desktop chip names, other than a general "bigger numbers are better but more expensive" trend.

37. Post #957
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,311 Posts
    Note that all of these are for desktop chips. Intel is really stupid and the laptop/tablet chip names have no relation to the desktop chip names, other than a general "bigger numbers are better but more expensive" trend.
    Dual core i7s are great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

38. Post #958
    after a nail-biting week of checking compatibilities and prices I hit the dang 'order' button

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

39. Post #959
    Dual core i7s are great.
    Intel's line up makes my job hard. We have to become more and more specific with out system requirements. "For this feature, we require a Core i7 or equivalent"

"oh uhh, make sure it's a quad core i7."

"Fine uhh also needs to be atleast 4th generation"

"shit, make sure it's not one of those U series i7's"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #960
    Intel's line up makes my job hard. We have to become more and more specific with out system requirements. "For this feature, we require a Core i7 or equivalent"

"oh uhh, make sure it's a quad core i7."

"Fine uhh also needs to be atleast 4th generation"

"shit, make sure it's not one of those U series i7's"
    I feel like ignoring the names completely might work best. "Requires quad-core, AVX2 support, clock speed 3.5GHz or better".

Followed by a list of known-good processors, for customers whose eyes just glazed over.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)