1. Post #1
    NETID#203731
    March 2009
    13,649 Posts
    Harare - Zimbabwe's War Veterans Association says it has expelled President Robert Mugabe as its leader and has formed a revolutionary council to take over the ruling Zanu-PF party.

"We have completely disowned Mugabe," says the statement issued on Wednesday in Johannesburg by war veterans leader Chris Mutsvangwa.

The association of former fighters for independence is loyal to fired vice president Emmerson Mnangagwa, who says he has left Zimbabwe after threats. Mugabe accuses his former deputy of plotting to take power, which Mnangagwa denies.

The war veterans' statement uses language similar to that used by Mugabe's guerrillas during their fight against white minority-ruled Rhodesia in the 1970s.
    [...]
    source: www.News24.com

more context in the source

Edited:

Update: Mugabe under house arrest
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-41997982

Edited:

Impeachment process to begin as Mugabe remains defiant
    Harare, Zimbabwe - Defiant President Robert Mugabe could lose his 37-year grip on Zimbabwe within days, with a motion to impeach him on Tuesday's parliament agenda introduced by the ruling ZANU-PF party.

The motion - which will be heard in a joint sitting of the lower and upper house - accuses Mugabe of being "the source of instability" within government and allowing his wife, First Lady Grace, to "usurp constitutional power".

As laid out in Section 97 (3) of the Constitution, once the Senate and National Assembly have passed a resolution confirming the president should be removed from office, Mugabe could be stripped of his wide-ranging powers that many citizens say have caused untold suffering and hardship.

Douglas Gumbo, 54, who participated in Saturday's mass march calling for Mugabe to resign, told Al Jazeera he was eager to watch the parliamentary session. House sittings are normally broadcast live on state television.

"He tried to run away from us on Sunday, but now he is cornered. It's game over for him and I just can't wait to see him and his wife go," he said.

Impeachment requires a two-thirds majority of both the senate and the national assembly.

While the governing ZANU-PF party, which has turned against its leader, holds a parliamentary majority, it may have to team up with opposition legislators to make up the required numbers.

Dozens of ZANU-PF MPs have fled the country or gone into hiding facing army detention, following a military crackdown targeting "criminals" surrounding the veteran leader.

Also on Tuesday, Emmerson Mnangagwa, the vice president Mugabe sacked on November 6, reportedly joined calls for the leader to resign.

"The people of Zimbabwe have spoken with one voice and it is my appeal to President Mugabe that he should take heed of this clarion call and resign forthwith so that the country can move forward and preserve his legacy," he said in a statement that has been circulating around local media.
    [...]
    source

Edited:

Update: Mugabe has resigned

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 19 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    September 2012
    774 Posts
    I would not miss Mugabe a bit but let's at least hope it stays bloodless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 21 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2013
    933 Posts
    About damn time, Mugabe has proven the only thing he is competent at is trashing the country time and time again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Absolute tosser, manchild, and belligerent douche-nozzle.
    Dennab
    July 2006
    11,257 Posts
    I want to say they couldn't do much worse than Mugabe but I made the same mistake when I said the same thing about Assad.

We'll see.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    7,502 Posts
    I want to say they couldn't do much worse than Mugabe but I made the same mistake when I said the same thing about Assad.

We'll see.
    Not a very fair comparison because Assad is still in power. The worsening came from the consequences of his decisions.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,478 Posts
    May I ask where you got that political bias thing from? I am interested in seeing what it says for other publications.

7. Post #7
    NETID#203731
    March 2009
    13,649 Posts
    May I ask where you got that political bias thing from? I am interested in seeing what it says for other publications.
    click the pic and it will take you to it, Media Bias Fact Check

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,478 Posts
    click the pic and it will take you to it, Media Bias Fact Check
    I tried that but the image is hosted on imgur and clicking it just expands the picture. Maybe it's because I am on mobile?

9. Post #9
    NETID#203731
    March 2009
    13,649 Posts
    I tried that but the image is hosted on imgur and clicking it just expands the picture. Maybe it's because I am on mobile?
    yeah that's it, getting the same thing on my phone
    here's the link
    https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/news24-south-africa/

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    25,222 Posts
    It's also in the rules for Polidicks, it was put there for people to check unfamiliar sources with before they post.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    3,643 Posts
    Fuck Mugabe, good riddance and all, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how this is going to end. Since when has a military coup in an improverished and deeply corrupt country ended well?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Waterfox Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

12. Post #12
    September 2008
    1,358 Posts
    Guardian article with more details

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...athers-support

13. Post #13
    August 2007
    907 Posts
    Wouldn't surprise me if Mugabe's health is failing and expelling Mnangagwa is just his wife making herself heir apparent before he kicks the bucket.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    8,759 Posts

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    December 2011
    2,610 Posts
    They aren't tanks, they're armoured personnel carriers

Edited:

Still, it looks like the situation is escalating

http://www.enca.com/africa/tanks-hea...ampaign=buffer

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    25,222 Posts
    They aren't tanks, they're armoured personnel carriers
    Armored personnel carriers make more sense in this context anyway, because you can't fill a tank with infantry to oust a shitty leader.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)

17. Post #17
    September 2008
    1,358 Posts
    It's happening, soldiers have taken over the national broadcaster and explosions have been reported in the capital

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-41992351
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 7 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,802 Posts
    I would not miss Mugabe a bit but let's at least hope it stays bloodless.
    This is Africa we are talking about
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Starred Starred x 18 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    September 2012
    774 Posts
    BBC link updated, Zimbabwean Army describing it as an "anti-crime" operation, shooting in the area of several official residences including Mugabe's.

20. Post #20
    March 2017
    13 Posts
    I just hope this doesn't devolve into another odd power-vacuum conflict like the ones that happened in central africa. Depending on how widespread the violence gets this could potentially be a syria 2.0 with ethnic cleansing and all, right on S.A's borders. However I'm fairly sure zimbabwe is of little interest to the world's countries compared to elsewhere in africa, so this might not become a weird extension to a regional cold war like syria, unless China wants to get involved to show the continent just how strong and effective it is as a regional economic & strategic partner.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,499 Posts
    Maybe they knew Mugabe was on his last legs and possibly about to die, so they are acting now before his wife takes over.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    December 2011
    2,610 Posts
    It's probably going to end up with the army ruling as a junta

23. Post #23
    Blue Member
    October 2006
    7,026 Posts
    It's probably going to end up with the army ruling as a junta
    Given just how shit Mugabe has been, this could be a significant step up for freedom and general well-being of the country. Not saying it will be, but it would have a hard time getting worse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    12,484 Posts
    http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-a...ource=facebook

Army has taken over, Mugabe detained
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 11 (list)

25. Post #25
    Dennab
    July 2006
    11,257 Posts
    Lol.

Well, lets cross our fingers the junta being nicer than Mugabe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    17,951 Posts
    Well, whoever's taking over will have to try pretty hard to do worse. It's possible, though.

27. Post #27
    July 2013
    5,582 Posts
    This is the dude who executes gay people right? Hope the piece of shit gets the book smashed against his head, a monster of proportions that even challenges Rocket Man's rule.

28. Post #28
    November 2017
    7 Posts
    Was about damm Time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Internet Explorer 11 Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    6,989 Posts
    Did you know, that when my sister was born (in 1999), the Zimbabwean literally, arbitrarily, decided that she wasn't allowed Zimbabwean citizenship? Not only was that a move that violates the UN Declaration of Human Rights, it also meant that to get her passport so she could emigrate to NZ with the rest of us, she had to take advantage of a bunch of clauses regarding UK citizenship and protected citizens.

Did you also know, that in 2006, my Zimbabwean citizenship was revoked, because the government revokes your citizenship if you're out of the country for more than 5 years? That led to me being stateless for 10 years until last year.

I'm not going to miss Mugabe and I'm not going to miss his government of meatheads with AKs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox Show Events Starred Starred x 18 (list)

30. Post #30
    NETID#203731
    March 2009
    13,649 Posts
    i wonder if it is going to stay as detention or if he'll get a neck extension

Edited:

i guess he's in poor enough health that keeping him locked up would serve essentially the same purpose

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,802 Posts
    Did you know, that when my sister was born (in 1999), the Zimbabwean literally, arbitrarily, decided that she wasn't allowed Zimbabwean citizenship? Not only was that a move that violates the UN Declaration of Human Rights, it also meant that to get her passport so she could emigrate to NZ with the rest of us, she had to take advantage of a bunch of clauses regarding UK citizenship and protected citizens.

Did you also know, that in 2006, my Zimbabwean citizenship was revoked, because the government revokes your citizenship if you're out of the country for more than 5 years? That led to me being stateless for 10 years until last year.

I'm not going to miss Mugabe and I'm not going to miss his government of meatheads with AKs.
    Why wasn't she allowed citizenship, is your family former white rhodies?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    8,759 Posts

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    6,989 Posts
    Why wasn't she allowed citizenship, is your family former white rhodies?
    That's the only explanation any of us can think up. I suppose they thought she was too white to be a Zimbabwean citizen.

34. Post #34
    July 2013
    5,582 Posts
    Ahh yes the penultimate stage of the Coup, getting the leader to announce his resignation. My favorite part!

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    8,759 Posts
    Mugabe's wife has fled the country for Namibia:
    Grace Mugabe, the wife of Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe, is reported to have fled the country for neighbouring Namibia.

Her husband is thought to be under house arrest in the southern African country's capital, Harare, after the Zimbabwean military took control of the government.

It is unclear how Ms Mugabe was able to make her escape.

Eddie Cross, an MP from the main opposition party, Movement for Democratic Change, said he understood the First Lady was now in Namibia.

A representative for the ruling Zanu-PF party also said he believed she was no longer in Zimbabwe.

It comes after Zimbabwean army generals seized power and detained senior officials, including Finance Minister Ignatius Chombo, as part of a round-up of "criminals".
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8055936.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

36. Post #36

September 2015
    39 Posts
    The south african president "Zuma" (Hrmm heard that name somewhere recently.) is sending an "envoy" to meet with Mugabe to get a clear picture of whats going on. If mugabe doesn't choose to step down zuma could be a huge ally and all it takes is one shot to turn this into a bloodbath in africa. UN should step in but they've hid under their desks because of the carriers off the coast of korea and you bet trump is too worried about fox news debunking uraniumone to care about africans killing each other.

37. Post #37
    Dennab
    July 2006
    11,257 Posts
    The south african president "Zuma" (Hrmm heard that name somewhere recently.)
    It's the name of SpaceX's next (classified) launch.

38. Post #38
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,819 Posts
    about 35 years overdue for a coup to be honest
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 11 (list)

39. Post #39
    September 2008
    1,358 Posts
    Gotta hand it to the coup leaders, bold move to try the first postmodern coup

Ceci n'est pas une coup
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 9 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    728 Posts
    Heard on NPR that Mugabe is still doing cerimonial things, just no official presidential duties. Sounds like he ordered something a little too stupid or was acting too senile and the military polietly took power.