1. Post #1
    certified postmodern neomarxist
    August 2009
    3,961 Posts
    By William J. Ripple, Christopher Wolf, Thomas M. Newsome, Mauro Galetti, Mohammed Alamgir, Eileen Crist, Mahmoud I. Mahmoud, William F. Laurance,
    15,364 scientist signatories from 184 countries

Twenty-five years ago, the Union of Concerned Scientists and more than 1700 independent scientists, including the majority of living Nobel laureates in the sciences, penned the 1992 “World Scientists’ Warning to Humanity” (see supplemental file S1). These concerned professionals called on humankind to curtail environmental destruction and cautioned that “a great change in our stewardship of the Earth and the life on it is required, if vast human misery is to be avoided.” In their manifesto, they showed that humans were on a collision course with the natural world. They expressed concern about current, impending, or potential damage on planet Earth involving ozone depletion, freshwater availability, marine life depletion, ocean dead zones, forest loss, biodiversity destruction, climate change, and continued human population growth. They proclaimed that fundamental changes were urgently needed to avoid the consequences our present course would bring.
    On the twenty-fifth anniversary of their call, we look back at their warning and evaluate the human response by exploring available time-series data. Since 1992, with the exception of stabilizing the stratospheric ozone layer, humanity has failed to make sufficient progress in generally solving these foreseen environmental challenges, and alarmingly, most of them are getting far worse (figure 1, file S1). Especially troubling is the current trajectory of potentially catastrophic climate change due to rising GHGs from burning fossil fuels (Hansen et al. 2013), deforestation (Keenan et al. 2015), and agricultural production—particularly from farming ruminants for meat consumption (Ripple et al. 2014). Moreover, we have unleashed a mass extinction event, the sixth in roughly 540 million years, wherein many current life forms could be annihilated or at least committed to extinction by the end of this century.

Figure 1

You've heard it all before, I'm sure. Might as well keep drilling it until everyone believes it is real and now.

https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/...bix125/4605229
    http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...-a8052481.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Friendly x 52Agree x 2Informative x 2Funny x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2

March 2017
    636 Posts
    What a time to be alive
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 28 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    3,530 Posts
    And yet there continues to be, and always will be, people who deny these things, either because they're willfully ignorant or because their greed supercedes any attempts at keeping not just humanity alive, but the millions of other species on this planet.

I'm sounding like a broken record at this point, but I am 100% serious: denying climate change and actively working against attempts to reduce the planet heating up should be considered a crime against humanity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 77 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    2,048 Posts
    And yet there continue to be, and always will be, people who deny these things, either because they're willfully ignorant or because their greed supercedes any attempts at keeping not just humanity alive, but the millions of other species on this planet.

I'm sounding like a broken record at this point, but I am 100% serious: denying climate change and actively working against attempts to reduce the planet heating up should be considered a crime against humanity.
    It's a crime agaisnt all known living organisms.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 27Zing Zing x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    4,875 Posts
    I just hope we're gone before the Earth is irreparably damaged for all life. With any luck the global ecosystem will find some kind of balance again, once no single species has enough power to fuck it all up.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    13,248 Posts
    I just hope we're gone before the Earth is irreparably damaged for all life. With any luck the global ecosystem will find some kind of balance again, once no single species has enough power to fuck it all up.
    earth's seen worse extinction events than this, it will recuperate no matter what we do to it, given enough time

the problem isn't so much us destroying the planet, the problem is we can't survive once we do
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera Show Events Agree Agree x 31 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    3,620 Posts
    Nothing humans can do would make Earth permanently inhospitable, this planet has gone through far worse than we could ever do to it. It would eventually repair and rebuild.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Dumb Dumb x 24 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    4,875 Posts
    Nothing humans can do would make Earth permanently inhospitable, this planet has gone through far worse than we could ever do to it. It would eventually repair and rebuild.
    It's my one comfort in all this. It would also be nice if enough humans could survive in artificial environments to preserve our history, and hopefully learn from it.

9. Post #9
    April 2013
    1,559 Posts
    God its so infuriating that nothing will be done

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,745 Posts
    Is that a challenge?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    31,279 Posts
    What a time to be alive
    what a time to die
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 17Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    13,248 Posts
    It's my one comfort in all this. It would also be nice if enough humans could survive in artificial environments to preserve our history, and hopefully learn from it.
    This post reminds me that, in the case we end up fucking up so bad future generations completely lose knowledge of contemporary technology and language, we still don't have a plan to protect them from radioactive waste that will remain active for several millenia to come. There's no way to tell those people in the future not to stick around. Can't explain it with glyphs, can't rely on any alarm devices to last that long.

This is the most reasonable solution they've come up with so far.

The other ones really do suck that bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    4,875 Posts
    This post reminds me that, in the case we end up fucking up so bad future generations completely lose knowledge of contemporary technology and language, we still don't have a plan to protect them from radioactive waste that will remain active for several millenia to come. There's no way to tell those people in the future not to stick around. Can't explain it with glyphs, can't rely on any alarm devices to last that long.

This is the most reasonable solution they've come up with so far.

The other ones really do suck that bad.
    They'll more or less figure it out. "Some people went across the valley and when they came back they were super fucking cursed, don't go over there."

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,803 Posts
    Ahh, yes, more scientists futilly shouting the facts at the brick wall that is the coal lobby fuelled politicians. Noble, but utterly pointless, as nothing's going to change until we get rid of the coal lobby.

Idunno, I have a feeling if we unleashed every single nuclear warhead we had on hand in one giant exchange, there'd be no turning back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Zing Zing x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    18,546 Posts
    By this point I've just accepted that the world will go to shit, likely in my lifetime, and nobody is gonna do anything about it. It would take every living person on earth to make a change and it just isn't going to happen.

A defeatist attitude, I know, but a realistic one I think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera Show Events Agree Agree x 34Friendly Friendly x 4Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16

(Used to ban users for shit posts)

July 2009
    13,906 Posts
    It's really sad when you unironically expect the current standing US President to shout "FAKE NEWS!" in response to this.

17. Post #17
    November 2011
    1,407 Posts
    My outlook on the future is at an all-time low, it's seriously affecting my mentality.

What should I do?

I'm sorry this might not be the best place to ask.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Friendly Friendly x 11 (list)

18. Post #18
    June 2013
    6,460 Posts
    My outlook on the future of the future is at an all-time low, it's seriously affecting my mentality.

What should I do?

cliche as fuck but do something to make the future better. If you feel that way, go volunteer at a place where you can make a difference, no matter how small it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    October 2009
    1,080 Posts
    What do you mean when you say, "gone"? The meaning from your post can be interpreted as anything, From hoping there's massive human holocaust, to us leaving the earth by space colonies.

20. Post #20
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    14,801 Posts
    By this point I've just accepted that the world will go to shit, likely in my lifetime, and nobody is gonna do anything about it. It would take every living person on earth to make a change and it just isn't going to happen.

You don't need to have everyone on earth to fundamentally change the way they live in order to give pause to global warming, where did you even get this from?

The most recent and prominent studies have all suggested that we're still in line with being able to prevent reaching the 2C line. It will take more effort from world governments - the USA especially - in order to not go too far, but as long as we can prevent ourselves from reaching that level the worst of it can be avoided.

However, rising sea levels, mass famine, droughts, and significant political strife/uprisings/upheaval are inevitable at this point considering if every single person on earth stopped using fossil fuels today we'd still see a warmer earth in the future because of how the greenhouse effect works.

Edited:

So even if you're just talking about the second thing, everyone on earth participating wouldn't even change that fact.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    2,422 Posts
    so this is the answer to the fermi paradox
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 7Friendly Friendly x 4Zing Zing x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    FIGHTING FOR YOUR RIGHT TO SHITPOST IN POLIDICKS
    February 2007
    33,201 Posts
    One of the easiest things you can do is vote. Nowadays it is incredibly easy and convenient.

23. Post #23
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    8,229 Posts
    Fresh off my Facebook, from 16 hours ago. Wholly relevant to the article and discussion.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Friendly Friendly x 20Funny Funny x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    NETID#203731
    March 2009
    13,649 Posts
    Fresh off my Facebook, from 16 hours ago. Wholly relevant to the article and discussion.

i want to do some very bad not good things to that person
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 27Zing Zing x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,535 Posts

Mr./Ms. Lime Green should be forced to live somewhere where fresh water, sweltering heat/incredible cold and constant natural disasters occur and then be told that these sorts of occurrences and climates will become more wide spread because of humanity's impact on the planet, a claim which has been scientifically proven time and time again, and then see if they "care".

26. Post #26
    NETID#203731
    March 2009
    13,649 Posts
    Mr./Ms. Lime Green should be forced to live somewhere where fresh water, sweltering heat/incredible cold and constant natural disasters occur and then be told that these sorts of occurrences and climates will become more wide spread because of humanity's impact on the planet, a claim which has been scientifically proven time and time again, and then see if they "care".
    running simulation
    . . .
    simulation complete
    projected outcome: "i'm only experiencing this because you made me live here, this wouldn't be my problem without you"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Zing Zing x 10Agree Agree x 4 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    17,951 Posts
    You don't need to have everyone on earth to fundamentally change the way they live in order to give pause to global warming, where did you even get this from?

The most recent and prominent studies have all suggested that we're still in line with being able to prevent reaching the 2C line. It will take more effort from world governments - the USA especially - in order to not go too far, but as long as we can prevent ourselves from reaching that level the worst of it can be avoided.

However, rising sea levels, mass famine, droughts, and significant political strife/uprisings/upheaval are inevitable at this point considering if every single person on earth stopped using fossil fuels today we'd still see a warmer earth in the future because of how the greenhouse effect works.

Edited:

So even if you're just talking about the second thing, everyone on earth participating wouldn't even change that fact.
    Can you give a source on keeping the earth below 2 degrees warming not only being technically possible (which it is), but something we're somehow in line to do? Maybe I'm misremembering, but afaik the boat has basically sailed on 1.5 degrees already, so keeping us below 2 with china and India on the rise seems very unlikely to me with the direction we're headed politically.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    12,063 Posts
    It's a crime agaisnt all known living organisms.
    Whoa, dude, you're completely over-reacting.
    The extremophiles will be just fine.

If Lime Green's opinion is of any indication, I somehow feel inclined to doubt that their future generations/kin will be smart enough to do much of anything about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    December 2008
    1,660 Posts

One may lack the power to change others, but we can most certainly change ourselves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Firefox Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    8,229 Posts
    If Lime Green's opinion is of any indication, I somehow feel inclined to doubt that their future generations/kin will be smart enough to do much of anything about it.
    The friend who posted that article agrees.

First time I've ever heard "crayon-eating ass" as an insult.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 23Winner Winner x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,803 Posts
    My outlook on the future is at an all-time low, it's seriously affecting my mentality.

What should I do?

Do what I do: Enjoy the time you've got left and don't worry about it. We, the average citizenry, are pretty much powerless to do anything about it, and no matter what we do there's not gonna be a tomorrow for us anyway. If not this, then we'll live to see mushroom clouds on the horizon. So enjoy today rather than fretting about a tomorrow that may not arrive at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    Steins;Gate SUCKS
    October 2008
    5,739 Posts
    Ahh, yes, more scientists futilly shouting the facts at the brick wall that is the coal lobby fuelled politicians. Noble, but utterly pointless, as nothing's going to change until we get rid of the coal lobby.

Idunno, I have a feeling if we unleashed every single nuclear warhead we had on hand in one giant exchange, there'd be no turning back.
    Radiation clears. It'll wipe out most of the species first but as the ocean depths should be relatively unaffected, rebuilding an ecosystem should take the planet less time than before. We just won't be around to see it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    so

February 2017
    57 Posts
    We're in this mess because all of our relationships to each other are dictated by capitalism and monetary relationships. So despite having the most incredible capacity to organize in the history of the world we might not make it. All of these corporations and employees could use their power and reach in order to organize but they won't because of this. Imagine if the world just sat down and made up a game plan for the apocalypse. Hopelessly idealistic no? The world's nations already all meet in the interests of capital. If google put out a banner that reached everyone? Won't happen.

This is a situation where we have the US military saying climate change is the greatest risk to national security, yet a Republican congress obstructing any measures that would save us.

Millionaires are already buying up vast tracts of land in New Zealand because it is the most survivable. World governments are aware and still concerned with the hit to their GDPs. Elon Musk is aware of this but talking about the apocalypse isn't good for the bottom line.

So the bottom line as far as I'm concerned is: We have three years or less to have a chance in hell of preventing this. ORGANIZE. Or spend the rest of your life hopeless, and regretting what you didn't do. You all probably live in the first world. We have tremendous capacity and agency to do so, we just don't see it that way.

Or else the other bottom line is that there are going to be global food shortages in 10 years and we all get to live through the apocalypse together.

What happens culturally once we know things are hopeless? It will be really ugly. Do SOMETHING. Plan your life around it. I am.

Edited:

And there is hope. Look at Standing Rock, Look at the indigenous environmental movements around the world. Those are all people doing things, not just trying to persuade the coal lobby not to kill us all or sitting in defeat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    12,484 Posts
    One of the easiest things you can do is vote. Nowadays it is incredibly easy and convenient.
    Even then, a election only comes once every 4 or 5 years.

People can fuck the planet in alot of ways in those period.

35. Post #35
    July 2008
    1,076 Posts
    I started getting serious eco-anxiety at the start of this year, so much so that I ended up quitting my job because I wanted to get out in the world and experience it while it's still in a reasonable state instead of just sitting at a desk for 9 hours a day. Ive been cycling and volunteering for the past 2 months all around my state, which has been great, but environmental issues have honestly been one of the core contributers to any depression I've recently had.

Strangely enough, one of the things that made me feel better was a standup by George Carlin, where his attitude is essentially; we can fuck up the world as much as we like, but the earth can just shake us off like we're nothing if it really wants to. People are only going to occupy this earth for an incredibly insignificant amount of time in the grand scheme of things, and even if we ruin everything, it will always rebuild from the ground up. It's a shitty nihilistic and edgelord2000 way of thinking but it honestly has made me feel better about things, especially when us average joes are powerless to change anything.

It doesn't mean we shouldn't try change our ways, I believe everyone should try live with the smallest footprint they can, consume less animals products and buy less useless crap. It just helps with the anxious feeling I'm sure a lot of people are experiencing these days.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    NETID#203731
    March 2009
    13,649 Posts
    And there is hope. Look at Standing Rock, Look at the indigenous environmental movements around the world. Those are all people doing things, not just trying to persuade the coal lobby not to kill us all or sitting in defeat
    conversely, standing rock is a good example at why things are hopeless. the dakota access pipeline is open, oil is flowing through it, and the pipeline and protests have faded from the collective consciousness.

the only act that would actually have a good chance of completely turning this terrible ship around is all out revolt.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    760 Posts
    conversely, standing rock is a good example at why things are hopeless. the dakota access pipeline is open, oil is flowing through it, and the pipeline and protests have faded from the collective consciousness.

the only act that would actually have a good chance of completely turning this terrible ship around is all out revolt.
    I am honestly surprised that nobody bombed the pipeline before it was opened. With the violence brought upon the protest by police and hired muscle, I was sure that someone was gonna physically attack the pipeline at some point. Hell, if something similar happened now then I have no doubt that it would kick off a wave of eco-terrorism against fossil fuel.

I’ve jokingly said this before, but now this just seems more and more likely to become the mantra of an ever-growing number of people: Sabotage the means of pollution.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,803 Posts
    Radiation clears. It'll wipe out most of the species first but as the ocean depths should be relatively unaffected, rebuilding an ecosystem should take the planet less time than before. We just won't be around to see it.
    The oceans will be just as fucked as the lands and the skies. Where do you think all that fallout is going to get washed off two when it rains, hrm? Where do you think that snow falling every winter, the stuff with the pretty blue Cherenkhov glow, is gonna go when it melts? The oceans. Not only that, but vast swaths of the fallout will rain down directly onto the oceans.

We have enough warheads stockpiled across the various nuclear powers to outright destroy life as we know it, right down to the deepest depths of the oceans. They may be more resilient, but if we truly loose every warhead we have, they won't last any longer than the birds and the squirrels.

Edited:

So the bottom line as far as I'm concerned is: We have three years or less to have a chance in hell of preventing this. ORGANIZE. Or spend the rest of your life hopeless, and regretting what you didn't do. You all probably live in the first world. We have tremendous capacity and agency to do so, we just don't see it that way.
    I could waste my time fruitlessly shouting at the gilded tower that's been erected on Penn Ave. I could waste my time fruitlessly shouting at the endless echo chambers of social media. Or I could just not do that, and instead, live my life such that it is as enjoyable as possible whether that only be for another 5 years, 10, 20, 30, 50, whatever, basically making the best of what I have rather than squandering it on 'could-be's that likely won't be.

I'd rather enjoy five years than waste them screaming at clouds.
    What happens culturally once we know things are hopeless? It will be really ugly.
    Yup. The Resource Wars of Fallout lore are looking less and less fictional with each passing day. I don't doubt one iota that there's going to be a massive clusterfuck in the next few decades, in fact, I'm so sure of it that I don't really care about global warming because I don't see humanity avoiding releasing Atom's Radiance before the ice caps melt.

Do SOMETHING.
    Soon as someone founds Vault Tec and builds a shelter in my area I'll reserve a spot. I'll take my chances with a morally bankrupt company that may or may not be planning on using the residence of that shelter as guinea pigs.
    Plan your life around it.
    I have. I decided 'It's best if I enjoy what I can while I've still got it.' I decided 'Better to enjoy today assuming there's no tomorrow than not enjoy today banking on being able to enjoy a tomorrow that may not arrive'. If there truly isn't a tomorrow, oh well, I still enjoyed today. If there is a tomorrow, hey, it's the new today to enjoy.

39. Post #39
    NETID#203731
    March 2009
    13,649 Posts
    I am honestly surprised that nobody bombed the pipeline before it was opened. With the violence brought upon the protest by police and hired muscle, I was sure that someone was gonna physically attack the pipeline at some point. Hell, if something similar happened now then I have no doubt that it would kick off a wave of eco-terrorism against fossil fuel.

I’ve jokingly said this before, but now this just seems more and more likely to become the mantra of an ever-growing number of people: Sabotage the means of pollution.
    i think that eco-terrorism is going to become the primary form of terrorism within the next 5 to 10 years