1. Post #1
    Horrible Username Connoisseur
    September 2009
    1,371 Posts
    It was fortold

Nintendo is reportedly close to agreeing a license for an animated Super Mario Bros. movie with Illumination Entertainment, the studio behind Despicable Me, Minions and Sing.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Illumination has been in talks with Nintendo for a year, with the deal close to sealed because Nintendo has been assured that it will be part of the creative process.

Mario's creator, Shigeru Miyamoto has apparently been involved in the talks, and will likely serve as producer on the film if and when it's made
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/mario-b...ion-1510675881
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/...amoto-involved
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Funny x 37Dumb x 6Winner x 2Informative x 1Zing x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Penis Architect
    November 2008
    14,964 Posts
    please don't be that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Vivaldi Show Events Agree Agree x 31Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    ASK ME ABOUT MY FAT FETISH
    June 2010
    1,229 Posts
    I have faith in this, as long as its not live-action.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Opera Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    3,461 Posts
    DO THE MARIO
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 39Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Seriously? Couldn't have done it with Disney or Pixar? Had to go with the studio that only produces either mediocre or shit garbage movies?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 28Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 26Winner Winner x 4Funny Funny x 4 (list)

7. Post #7
    May 2013
    113 Posts
    Another train wreck incoming..

8. Post #8

🍅Tomato Member🍅

February 2014
    937 Posts

Uh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 39Agree Agree x 8 (list)

9. Post #9

not good with computer

June 2013
    2,652 Posts
    that image is cursed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

10. Post #10
    March 2010
    1,935 Posts
    Seriously? Couldn't have done it with Disney or Pixar? Had to go with the studio that only produces either mediocre or shit garbage movies?
    Maybe Nintendo wanted to have more control over the film, and these studio decided to fuck off?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,094 Posts
    Goombas will be Minions 2.0
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Show Events Friendly Friendly x 23Winner Winner x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    March 2014
    1,344 Posts
    Please don't. the series was leaving the "only for nerdy awkward weirdo middle school kids" stigma, I'd like to be able to play some Odyssey and not have it treated like Minions: The Video Game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

13. Post #13
    I was saying "Boo-urns".
    November 2012
    1,211 Posts
    The first Despicable Me is like, the only good movie Illumination has put out. Why them out of like, any other animation studio? Even Sony Pictures Animation (aka the emoji movie studio) at least has two or three good ones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    758 Posts
    Do be fair, the first Despicable Me only had minions as a supportive gag to the rest of the film and they just happened to be the perfect design for a mascot so they focused in on them in their next films. I also actually watched the Minions movie once and was pleasantly surprised at how it wasnít a completely braindead screamfest for ADHD toddlers - it actually had plenty of content to entertain parents (including copious dark jokes involving death), lest Illumination be responsible for a spike in alcoholism nationwide.

The studio has a lot of talent that hasnít been fully realized, especially with character animation and comedic timing. Hopefully their producers and other higher-ups will let them handle a Mario film in a more mature way rather than lead us into a timeline where we have standalone Goomba movies that my kid cousins will obsess over.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Maybe Nintendo wanted to have more control over the film, and these studio decided to fuck off?
    Assuming that were true, I'm still not sure I would choose a budget studio that has never made a great film but will let me have creative control, over a high budget studio that won't let me have control but has a great reputation for their films.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,658 Posts
    Assuming that were true, I'm still not sure I would choose a budget studio that has never made a great film but will let me have creative control, over a high budget studio that won't let me have control but has a great reputation for their films.
    Are we gonna act like Despicable Me was a terrible film just because marketing milked the minions and made them annoying after the fact?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

17. Post #17
    your lack of title is bothering me
    January 2013
    3,413 Posts
    For those curious the image was made by Alpharad as part of his "clickbait thumbnail" series.

He is a prophet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Funny Funny x 30Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Are we gonna act like Despicable Me was a terrible film just because marketing milked the minions and made them annoying after the fact?
    I never said Despicable Me was a bad film, I said it wasn't a great one. It ranks in as the best film they've ever made at 'Pretty Decent'.

19. Post #19
    Ask me about my Marvel/DC fetish
    May 2010
    28,319 Posts
    If Mario isnt in a wifebeater with 5 gold chains and so hairy he makes the wolfman look like a pussy while insinuating he's broken peoples knees people in the past, i dont want it.

I want my Mario to be so New York Italian that he sweats Taxi cabs.

Edited:

What i'm saying is, if Mario isnt a violent, hyper aggressive New York gambino mother fucker, i'll be mildly disappointed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,037 Posts
    Fun fact Sonic has a live action movie set for 2018-9
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Internet Explorer 11 Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,490 Posts
    I have this nasty thought that if this dose go through that they would not have Charles Martinet doing the voices. I mean, they would not be that stupid, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

22. Post #22
    January 2012
    1,174 Posts
    Are they gonna be called Mario Mario and Luigi Mario?

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    5,531 Posts
    I have this nasty thought that if this dose go through that they would not have Charles Martinet doing the voices. I mean, they would not be that stupid, right?
    They'll reuse extremely old lines, like the GBA ones with horrible audio compression
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    July 2013
    2,659 Posts
    Mario's creator, Shigeru Miyamoto has apparently been involved in the talks, and will likely serve as producer on the film if and when it's made
    At least there's this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

25. Post #25
    Saged, Hidden, Reported, Filtered & Called the cops
    June 2008
    6,479 Posts
    apparently nintendo had entered an agreement with universal for them to use nintendo shit for rides and other things in their parks, and that nintendo would work exclusively with universal for any media outside games
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

26. Post #26
    January 2012
    556 Posts
    I'll paraphrase what I said in the Sponsored Spambot post of this:

So are the Toads going to be treated as the Mario universe equivalent of Minions?

In all seriousness, why are Nintendo considering Illumination Entertainment for a Mario movie? Illumination Entertainment is a name often associated with soulless paint-by-numbers cash grab movies (Sing, Minions, Hop, etc.). Surely there are better choices?

27. Post #27
    Cmx
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,829 Posts
    This is a disservice to big Lou.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Winner Winner x 18Funny Funny x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    I can't think of a good title.
    May 2010
    14,799 Posts
    They'll reuse extremely old lines, like the GBA ones with horrible audio compression
    I'm okay with Mario's lines only being vaguely Italian-sounding gibberish and JUMP JUMP HAMMER FIRE
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

29. Post #29
    July 2010
    1,237 Posts
    At least this might not take too long to come out since illumination is cheap as shit.

As long as it doesn't contain Rabbids or Minions I'm in.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    4,773 Posts
    Put Waluigi in it and it'll sell like hotcakes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    September 2014
    785 Posts
    I'll paraphrase what I said in the Sponsored Spambot post of this:

So are the Toads going to be treated as the Mario universe equivalent of Minions?

In all seriousness, why are Nintendo considering Illumination Entertainment for a Mario movie? Illumination Entertainment is a name often associated with soulless paint-by-numbers cash grab movies (Sing, Minions, Hop, etc.). Surely there are better choices?
    Laika could make a dope Mario film if they got the chance

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    11,203 Posts
    -late-

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    9,197 Posts
    You could have gone with Disney or Pixar, but you went with the studio notorious for spending as little money as possible on a project instead of trying to make a quality movie.

34. Post #34
    March 2014
    1,344 Posts

the whole movie will be the gibberish

35. Post #35
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    16,897 Posts
    The first Despicable Me is like, the only good movie Illumination has put out. Why them out of like, any other animation studio? Even Sony Pictures Animation (aka the emoji movie studio) at least has two or three good ones.
    I imagine price was a was a consideration. Illumination is a studio who makes films on a notoriously leaner budget than many of their peers. They're a very cost efficient studio.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    4,234 Posts
    Confirmed pictures of them recording a scene in the movies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 22Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    May 2016
    657 Posts
    will bob hoskins and John Leguizamo reprise their original roles?

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    5,379 Posts
    I feel like that would be contractual.
    Charles has never not been mario outside of the cartoon and that one CDI game, it would be pants on head stupid to change his voice.

Illumination is lazy, not retarded
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    www.bff-hab.de
    May 2006
    3,287 Posts
    Just imagine Danny DeVito as Mario though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

40. Post #40
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    29,324 Posts
    Mario + Rabbids felt like an overly simplistic movie with the Rabbids' usual slapstick.

Remove them and the game from the equation and it could potentially work as a film. May be hard to convince filmgoers why Mario can barely speak a full paragraph or so.