1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,020 Posts
    I feel like the Boston Dymanics robots might one day be used for the original purpose of the Mule, once they've perfected the hardware and software, made it more robust against rough terrain and uncertain conditions, just generally ironed out all the kinks and made it not suck in practice. The original idea was valid, they just needed more time to make it work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

2. Post #42
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    6,812 Posts
    Don't let these videos fool you people! There are some sick people working at boston dynamics.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #43
    support my deus ex fanfiction
    November 2009
    3,656 Posts
    can we also say holy shit in terms of the sound output? the older models needed tons of fans and the motors were loud as shit, and this one is about as loud as your average pc tower.

like compare it to bigdog
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    5,356 Posts
    can we also say holy shit in terms of the sound output? the older models needed tons of fans and the motors were loud as shit, and this one is about as loud as your average pc tower.

like compare it to bigdog
    Mostly because electric motors, ESCs and battery technology have come a long way since 08. The original Big Dog used a combustion engine equivalent in power to a lawnmower to provide the compression power needed to power its pneumatic actuators (which is why it is silent on the indoors testing tracks due to pneumatic umbilicals).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    4,298 Posts
    it sounds like a steamtrain, it looks really cool in the older videos where it has a head/manipulator

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Late Late x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    August 2005
    1,007 Posts
    it sounds like a steamtrain, it looks really cool in the older videos where it has a head/manipulator

That is fucking sick. I want one if these just to run around my house!

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,466 Posts
    i think boston dynamics might be my favourite company simply because of how adorable they make their robots
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    9,268 Posts
    So George Hull (of George Hull design) might have done some of the redesign work here: https://www.facebook.com/GeorgeHullD...42324955878334

He's done tons of neat sci-fi concepts too: a ton of bladerunner 2049 concept art, guardians of the galaxy 2, Chappie, Star Citizen, and the only interesting parts of Jupiter Ascending

Just a neat little intersection of sci-fi media and reality that I thought was worth sharing. Following his facebook page is neat, he's always posting tons of neat artwork (also, unfortunately his FB is the only place he has albums by project/movie)

Edited:

Wonder if he got to work on more than SpotMini?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Winner Winner x 3Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    May 2010
    1,005 Posts
    the new Spotmini is aesthetic as fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,885 Posts
    I think what we all want to know is, are they going to mass manufacture it and how much will it cost?

11. Post #51
    Penis Architect
    November 2008
    14,978 Posts
    I think what we all want to know is, are they going to mass manufacture it and how much will it cost?
    Somehow I doubt these will be seeing mass production any time soon.
    Pretty sure it uses a bunch of custom 3D printed metal parts, and I'm fairly sure LIDAR systems and whatever fancy sensory stuff it uses does not come cheap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Edge Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #52
    IDIOT WHO IS NEVER FUNNY AND CANT UNDER STAND WHEN NOT WANTED
    September 2006
    10,711 Posts
    I wanna saddle it up and ride it around the town

Edited:

the way it jogs on the spot before setting off, fuckin cute

13. Post #53
    March 2014
    1,346 Posts
    I feel like we really need to keep an eye on the manufacturing plants if we ever have them. The last thing we need is an AI taking over the plant and pumping out an army. I never imagined the robot war would have dogbots
    World War 3 will be fought not with guns, but rather tennis balls and metal dog treats.

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,895 Posts
    uhhh zanuka is that u?

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    6,380 Posts
    I like how it does that "warm up" before starting to walk again.
    That's actually part of the kinematics system they use for the motors controlling the legs. Lots of animatronics have something similar, basically it's a way for the system to check where all of the legs are positioned and "reset them" back to a universal zero point to begin accepting new movement instructions.