1. Post #1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    9,598 Posts
    Just use DisplayPort or DVI unless you're plugging your PC into a TV, in which case you use HDMI. Never use HDMI when you have DisplayPort or DVI as an option.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Wow!👏Great moves! 👍Keep it up!😁
    February 2006
    46,059 Posts
    hdmi is shit tbh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,862 Posts
    hdmi is shit tbh
    With dual mode DP I don't see the point in even having HDMI ports on most devices. I connect to something that only has that so infrequently I'd rather use a dirt cheap media changer and have a more useful port most of the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Just use DisplayPort or DVI unless you're plugging your PC into a TV, in which case you use HDMI. Never use HDMI when you have DisplayPort or DVI as an option.
    Any version of HDMI past 1.3 is basically equal to DVI, and any version past 2.0 is better.

Honestly, just the convenience of having a smaller connector and no separate audio cable is enough to make me prefer HDMI, outside fringe cases like a video card that only does HDMI 1.2 going to a 1440p monitor (which yes, I've done). Granted, I prefer DP over them both, but HDMI is perfectly fine.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,862 Posts
    Any version of HDMI past 1.3 is basically equal to DVI, and any version past 2.0 is better.

Honestly, just the convenience of having a smaller connector and no separate audio cable is enough to make me prefer HDMI, outside fringe cases like a video card that only does HDMI 1.2 going to a 1440p monitor (which yes, I've done). Granted, I prefer DP over them both, but HDMI is perfectly fine.
    Nah, DVI is better than 1.4, far more flexible that wasn't full of arbitrary restrictions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Nah, DVI is better than 1.4, far more flexible that wasn't full of arbitrary restrictions.
    Like what?

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,494 Posts
    While I wish I could switch to DP everything, a vast majority of the devices I use only have HDMI ports.

Convenience wins this time for now, unfortunately.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,862 Posts
    Like the limitation of 60hz despite the equivalent DVI spec allowing higher. DVI spec allowed more direct interface with the monitor which helped give to the rise of Koreashit overclockable monitors. IIRC DVI has no royalties either so pricing is usually less.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    February 2006
    46,059 Posts
    DP

1. Can be locked in place, kind of annoying to lose your cable when moving a monitor around

2. Has a significantly higher ceiling for Hz and resolution

3. Can be daisy-chained, which is insanely useful

4. Has bi-directional auxiliary, but I've not personally seen what this is used for
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Blue Member?
    October 2010
    5,912 Posts
    Display port obviously 144hz monitor

12. Post #12
    February 2006
    46,059 Posts
    snip wrong thread im gay please make fun of me because I'm an embarrassment
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    March 2010
    999 Posts
    dvi has the coolest looking port so I use that one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox Show Events Winner Winner x 6Funny Funny x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    17,947 Posts
    I use SCART for most stuff to be honest. Much more pleasing on the eyes than the sharp, pointy edges you get on HDMI or DP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Phone Internet Explorer 11 Show Events Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Like the limitation of 60hz despite the equivalent DVI spec allowing higher. DVI spec allowed more direct interface with the monitor which helped give to the rise of Koreashit overclockable monitors. IIRC DVI has no royalties either so pricing is usually less.
    HDMI hasn't been locked to 60Hz for eons - monitors can advertize any resolution/frequency combo as a vendor extension, and it'll generally work (at least with PCs). The only reason 1080p120 took so long was because they didn't have enough bandwidth for it.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,862 Posts
    HDMI hasn't been locked to 60Hz for eons - monitors can advertize any resolution/frequency combo as a vendor extension, and it'll generally work (at least with PCs). The only reason 1080p120 took so long was because they didn't have enough bandwidth for it.
    I was specifically talking about DVI dual link vs HDMI 1.4. It had enough bandwidth, dual link was capable and had the same. It was just arbitrary.