1. Post #361
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    Nick Seafort posted:
    Any suggestions for my issue with the smartsnap not snapping?

It started about 3-5 weeks ago, no mods installed between when it worked and when it spontaneously stopped working, no hardware changed. Grid still displays, Options still work in toggling grid on and off etc, but I can't get the mouse to actually snap to the grid anymore ='(
    If you press the USE-button (not necessairly E) it should snap unless something is broken in gmod or you get a console error.

2. Post #362

April 2007
    6 Posts
    I do press use (still e by default), and it suddenly stopped working overnight. No console error, I have tried fresh installs etc. It's really doing my nut in D:

Is there a level of hidden error reporting, stuff that doesn't appear in console?

3. Post #363
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    Nick Seafort posted:
    I do press use (still e by default), and it suddenly stopped working overnight. No console error, I have tried fresh installs etc. It's really doing my nut in D:

Is there a level of hidden error reporting, stuff that doesn't appear in console?
    Nope, but due to the way smartsnap works, they tend to be all the way up at the top.

Ah wait! Check "snap_disableuse" make sure it isn't "1" (it will disable snapping using the USE key), if it still doesn't work then try typing "+snap" in the console when looking at the grid, it really really should snap then ("snap" can be used to bind an arbitrary button for snapping).

4. Post #364
    August 2006
    89 Posts
    Syranide posted:
    <snip

..then +"snap" can be used to bind an arbitrary button for snapping).
    Just a nitpick fix, make sure the command you type in is EXACTLY "+snap" to bind the command. Such as:

Code:
    bind "m" "+snap"

5. Post #365
    January 2008
    5 Posts
    Bug: center of screen will stay snapped to snap point and can not be turned away.

6. Post #366
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    cc666 posted:
    Bug: center of screen will stay snapped to snap point and can not be turned away.
    Uh?
    Not quite sure what you mean.
    But if you mean you stay snapped then it isn't a bug, you have activated the option "smart snap lock" or whatever it is called, it locks the snap after "x seconds".

7. Post #367
    Gold Member

February 2006
    134 Posts
    Love this so much man, thanks a lot.

8. Post #368

April 2007
    6 Posts
    Syranide posted:
    Nope, but due to the way smartsnap works, they tend to be all the way up at the top.

Ah wait! Check "snap_disableuse" make sure it isn't "1" (it will disable snapping using the USE key), if it still doesn't work then try typing "+snap" in the console when looking at the grid, it really really should snap then ("snap" can be used to bind an arbitrary button for snapping).

Poster == Syranida -> Poster = God;

Solved it in 5 seconds flat, thanks! Can't imagine why it would have toggled, but hey ho :v

9. Post #369
    August 2007
    50 Posts
    any new update?? how can I make more smaller grid?? it is still too big

10. Post #370
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    Nick Seafort posted:
    Poster == Syranida -> Poster = God;

Solved it in 5 seconds flat, thanks! Can't imagine why it would have toggled, but hey ho :v
    Hehe, glad to hear it
    Anyways, it is odd, I think this is what has happened to other people as well, suddenly snaplock activates (among others) for no reason, etc (I use the preset system in gmod).

Raptor -TT- posted:
    any new update?? how can I make more smaller grid?? it is still too big
    1.0.0 is the newest (and it is not the first version).
    You can have ANY grid size you want if you go to options, you have a number of options there to help you.

11. Post #371
    November 2005
    98 Posts
    Syranide, got a Q for you. Is it possible to embed snap markers into models? For example, let's say someone makes a lot of curvy models, and are hard to use smart snap to link them accurately, because they are asymmetrical.

12. Post #372
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    1,362 Posts
    I love this mod still, it's great for getting those perfect magnum headshots.

13. Post #373
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    Anticept posted:
    Syranide, got a Q for you. Is it possible to embed snap markers into models? For example, let's say someone makes a lot of curvy models, and are hard to use smart snap to link them accurately, because they are asymmetrical.
    Discussed just above, I have thought about the idea and I agree that it would be very useful and it is very possible to implement as well. But I'm very short on time right now so I personally cannot implement it at the moment, but it's on the todo list when/if I get time.

14. Post #374
    November 2005
    98 Posts
    Oh, doh!

I skimmed over it all, must have missed it.

15. Post #375
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    4,980 Posts
    Imma go give you shitloads of Lua-kings now.

16. Post #376
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,935 Posts
    Eeh, did the update break it?

17. Post #377
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    lekkimsm posted:
    Eeh, did the update break it?
    Just checked, it still works for me, make sure you've got the latest version (download in first post) and remove the old directory first!

Also, check the SmartSnap options to see if it hasn't just turned off.

18. Post #378
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,935 Posts
    Syranide posted:
    Just checked, it still works for me, make sure you've got the latest version (download in first post) and remove the old directory first!

Also, check the SmartSnap options to see if it hasn't just turned off.
    That's wierd... I've just removed EVERYTHING in my Gmod folder and i reinstalled it. And i just installed the last version!

What is there to remove?

Edit:

Sorry, i was just being a fucking idiot I found out i never installed it AFTER i downloaded it :excited:

It does work!!!

19. Post #379
    March 2008
    71 Posts
    Why the hell did i not think to put this back on when i reinstalled gmod!

THIS IS THE MOST EPIC THING FOTOISM HAS EVER LAID ITS HAND ON!

Do more!

20. Post #380
    June 2008
    105 Posts
    Why the hell hasn't this been included with retail gmod? It should be!

21. Post #381
    If I'm not banned, ban me.
    Dennab
    February 2007
    113 Posts
    Hey Syranide, what do you think of creating somekind of optional system for this (or perhaps a seperate tool if more appropriate) that projects semi-transparent grids, or maybe just a few lines, perpendicular to props? This could make the alignment process much faster and more efficient. :)

Edit: PS is there any way to make this work when the physgun is out?

Edit 2: I think this may really benefit from tooltips in the spawn menu - there's a tonne of options which may confuse the noob. *makes futile attempt to conceal own confusion :D*

22. Post #382
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,147 Posts
    Can't make grid by the wireframe ?

23. Post #383
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    andy1976uk posted:
    Hey Syranide, what do you think of creating somekind of optional system for this (or perhaps a seperate tool if more appropriate) that projects semi-transparent grids, or maybe just a few lines, perpendicular to props? This could make the alignment process much faster and more efficient. :)

Edit: PS is there any way to make this work when the physgun is out?

Edit 2: I think this may really benefit from tooltips in the spawn menu - there's a tonne of options which may confuse the noob. *makes futile attempt to conceal own confusion :D*
    1. Guess it would, but it isn't really SmartSnap related IMHO and not quite sure how it would really work. You'd most likely not want it to show all the time either because it would obstruct the view all the time. Anyways, I might look into an idea I have with aligning stuff (in an easy way), but we'll see.

2. No (well of course it is, but not from the options), but that is because you really can't snap and use the physgun, since that just flings your view around. But if you really want you can snap with whatever tool you like and then just switch to the physgun without "un-snapping".

3. Yeah I know, I'll try to improve it

FluD posted:
    Can't make grid by the wireframe ?
    What you do mean?

24. Post #384
    Dennab
    February 2007
    113 Posts
    Syranide posted:
    1. Guess it would, but it isn't really SmartSnap related IMHO and not quite sure how it would really work. You'd most likely not want it to show all the time either because it would obstruct the view all the time. Anyways, I might look into an idea I have with aligning stuff (in an easy way), but we'll see.
    Kewl, thanks :)

2. No (well of course it is, but not from the options), but that is because you really can't snap and use the physgun, since that just flings your view around. But if you really want you can snap with whatever tool you like and then just switch to the physgun without "un-snapping".
    Well the physgun thing wasn't so much for snapping purposes but for alignment using the Smartsnap's grid as a positioning aid.

Edit: Hmmm, on second thoughts maybe it's superflous.

25. Post #385
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    6,899 Posts
    Could this be used for some sort of third-person lock on for firefights?

26. Post #386
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    Tetsmega posted:
    Could this be used for some sort of third-person lock on for firefights?
    Third-person lock-on should be extremely simple anyway.
    The actual snapping part of SmartSnap is like 1% of the code or something, most of it is just the grid and other aids/functionality.

Locking onto a coordinate is as simple as just setting the aimvector in the calcview callback (I believe it is, or another callback), and the coordinate for a player is easily retrieved.

27. Post #387
    Dennab
    February 2007
    113 Posts
    andy1976uk posted:
    Kewl, thanks :)

Well the physgun thing wasn't so much for snapping purposes but for alignment using the Smartsnap's grid as a positioning aid.

Edit: Hmmm, on second thoughts maybe it's superflous.
    Nope, turns out it was a good idea after all lol. I needed exactly this functionality before; a grid to help me with prop alignment while using the physgun. Sure it's possible to use easy-weld, freeze in place, then unweld, but it's 3 steps instead of 1.

28. Post #388
    May 2007
    33 Posts
    Needs bump for epic justice.
    Great mod man, I couldn't survive without it.

29. Post #389

November 2007
    2 Posts
    The last few days, I haven't been able to press "e" on the grid to lock. This happened to a friend too.

30. Post #390
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    josiahqh posted:
    The last few days, I haven't been able to press "e" on the grid to lock. This happened to a friend too.
    Sounds odd, go into the console and make sure "snap_disableuse" is set to "0". If that is "1" then the USE-key will be disabled in favor of individual binds for snapping.

I don't know, but it seems like gmod is messing up the settings from time to time, because I keep receiving these odd help requests from people that have never even seen the settings.

Please tell me if this doesn't help.

31. Post #391
    July 2008
    5 Posts
    Syranide posted:
    Sounds odd, go into the console and make sure "snap_disableuse" is set to "0". If that is "1" then the USE-key will be disabled in favor of individual binds for snapping.

I don't know, but it seems like gmod is messing up the settings from time to time, because I keep receiving these odd help requests from people that have never even seen the settings.

Please tell me if this doesn't help.
    I'm a total noob when it comes to console stuff..

i typed in snap_disableuse 0, but it said it is an unknown command? could you tell me exactly what to put? i can't live without smartsnap!

32. Post #392
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    Raymier702 posted:
    I'm a total noob when it comes to console stuff..

i typed in snap_disableuse 0, but it said it is an unknown command? could you tell me exactly what to put? i can't live without smartsnap!
    Do you even have a grid?

33. Post #393
    July 2008
    5 Posts
    Syranide posted:
    Do you even have a grid?
    Yeah I have the same problem as josiahqh... I can see the grid, but can't lock onto it

34. Post #394
    April 2008
    1,242 Posts
    Is there a way to make grids show on insides of certain models? Like Space build models or shipping containers. I hate not being able to use smart snap to line up my screens, pods, etc in my ships. I don't know what you would need to add to make it work, but possibly using bounding box would work for it.

35. Post #395
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    4RT1LL3RY posted:
    Is there a way to make grids show on insides of certain models? Like Space build models or shipping containers. I hate not being able to use smart snap to line up my screens, pods, etc in my ships. I don't know what you would need to add to make it work, but possibly using bounding box would work for it.
    The only way this would be possible would be if each grid could be individually configured for each object, that would account for the shape of the object. However, I have thought about doing this, but it is quite a lot of work but it would involve even more work to actually design these grids for all objects. So the idea was scrapped.

For these things I'm guessing the "precision tool" or whatever it is called would be best suited.

36. Post #396
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,959 Posts
    I'm Having a problem with smartsnap, every time i go to snap at a sertain point, the grid turns itself off, i don't understand this and i need help

Edit:

I'm Having a problem with smartsnap, every time i go to snap at a certain point, the grid turns itself off, i don't understand this and i need help

37. Post #397
    April 2007
    1,093 Posts
    BlackWind posted:
    I'm Having a problem with smartsnap, every time i go to snap at a sertain point, the grid turns itself off, i don't understand this and i need help

Edit:

I'm Having a problem with smartsnap, every time i go to snap at a certain point, the grid turns itself off, i don't understand this and i need help
    Mine did not work at all until i have reinstalled GMod, try cleaning GMod.

38. Post #398
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    BlackWind posted:

Edit:

You have activated the "grid toggle mode", either write "snap_toggledelay 0" in your console or turn it off in the options (set the "grid toggle delay" to 0).

39. Post #399
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,959 Posts
    Syranide posted:
    You have activated the "grid toggle mode", either write "snap_toggledelay 0" in your console or turn it off in the options (set the "grid toggle delay" to 0).

Thank you so much, there is a cookie coming to you in the post

40. Post #400
    July 2007
    51 Posts
    How can I disable this, people use it on my server to cheat at deathmatch, and it's completely unfair.