Gold Member
    August 2008
    101 Posts
    Very useful tool, king'd

2. Post #402
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,478 Posts
    I've used this before, and it worked great. But When I got my hard drive wiped and re-installed it, it isn't working properly. First of all, when I enable it to snap to the points, the grid disappears and my mouse won't snap to the point. Second, when I enable it for all tools, the grid shows up when I use weapons. Any way to fix this?

3. Post #403
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    rcdraco posted:
    How can I disable this, people use it on my server to cheat at deathmatch, and it's completely unfair.
    That's what scriptenforcer is for, prevents all kinds of cheating, worse than SmartSnap.

Upgrade123 posted:
    I've used this before, and it worked great. But When I got my hard drive wiped and re-installed it, it isn't working properly. First of all, when I enable it to snap to the points, the grid disappears and my mouse won't snap to the point. Second, when I enable it for all tools, the grid shows up when I use weapons. Any way to fix this?
    If the grid disappears when you try to snap to the points, read the post towards the bottom of page 10, it should be a setting that you have activated. "Grid toggle delay", should be 0.

The whole point "enable for all tools" is that it shows up for weapons, they are the only ones that do not show a grid by default.

4. Post #404
    August 2008
    12 Posts
    I used this for a while, then it stopped being able to snap. My use key works for everything but this. I press E like I would before and nothing happens.

EDIT: I checked around the thread, and I found a solution, nevermind.

Anyway, AMAZINGLY useful tool, thanks!

5. Post #405
    Get your own DarkRP Server!
    January 2006
    5,591 Posts
    Has anyone said you forgot to update the info.txt?

it still says 0.9.5 :o

shame on you!
    Nice and thanks for 2 new updates! (I was still running on 0.9.4)

6. Post #406
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    FPtje posted:
    Has anyone said you forgot to update the info.txt?

it still says 0.9.5 :o

shame on you!
    Nice and thanks for 2 new updates! (I was still running on 0.9.4)
    :o

I keep forgetting that, I knew I forgot to update once, but aparently forgot it the last time as well, haha.
    *Spanks himself*

7. Post #407
    Get your own DarkRP Server!
    January 2006
    5,591 Posts
    Syranide posted:
    *Spanks himself*
    Need any help? :excited:

8. Post #408
    May 2007
    430 Posts
    Syranide posted:
    Yes, I can make it into a tool, but the problem is, the reason why you have to specify the per-model-offset yourself is not because I was lazy but because what you SEE is not what you HIT. There is a gap between those to that varies for models. Meaning that a tool doesn't help, because the grid is already correct in relation to the physical hull, but you want it in relation to visual hull, same with snap points, since you can't see the hull, you will always be off unless you are 100% perfectly aligned.
    I see what you mean now, what I was meaning was the custom snap points weren't on the grid itself, but instead were hanging in the air, so the snap point were exactly on the place you hit. This would probably be significantly more complex of course.

9. Post #409
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    fishface60 posted:
    I see what you mean now, what I was meaning was the custom snap points weren't on the grid itself, but instead were hanging in the air, so the snap point were exactly on the place you hit. This would probably be significantly more complex of course.
    Yeah, that's what I mean as well, but, say that you want to put a snap point on a marked X on a prop, you can't do it perfectly, because when you shoot the X, you shoot a few units outside of the X, meaning that you miss it and it will not be perfect, also, it makes it very odd when you look at the prop because they will actually look like they are in the air rather then the prop.

EDIT: Another way of describing it would be, put two PHX-plates together, make the top one transparent, and then try to place a thruster perfectly centered on the visible one. You can't really because the invisible one will be in the way offsetting your thruster equal to the angle of attack. This is basically how it is in-game, an thin invisible skin around all props, which is also the reason why there are gaps when you weld stuff.

10. Post #410
    May 2007
    430 Posts
    Can't you just apply an offset based on the normal vector of the trace?

11. Post #411
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    fishface60 posted:
    Can't you just apply an offset based on the normal vector of the trace?
    Yes, but the offset differs, that is why you have to specify it by hand, it differs even more if the surface isn't flat. Initially I had a default model offset for all models, but I found out later that it differed really much so that is why it has to be made by hand, and by eye.

12. Post #412
    November 2005
    511 Posts
    I don't know what to do. "Use" (e) don't work for me! I can't snap to grid. I've rad all topic and I've tried every solution... nothing changed! Even after reinstall gmod. In game I don't have any errors. Binding "+snap" didn't work too. Any help?

13. Post #413
    Vir
    January 2008
    71 Posts
    Does the grid appear at all? If not, look around in the options panel.

14. Post #414
    November 2005
    511 Posts
    Grid appear at all (when I look on it and press e). Even "snap_disableuse" is 0. Only thing which don't work is snapping to grid.

15. Post #415
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    Frankess posted:
    Grid appear at all (when I look on it and press e). Even "snap_disableuse" is 0. Only thing which don't work is snapping to grid.
    That's odd, check your console and make sure you aren't getting any errors.
    Also, the grid shows all the time? or is only when you press USE, or does it go away when you press USE?
    (Also, none of the above happens, then just temporarily remove all your addons and see if it still persists, it is possible that some other addon is tampering with the USE-hook)

16. Post #416
    November 2005
    511 Posts
    Ok... thanks for help (or just for trying). Problem wasn't exactly in smartsnap. It was Player Weld. When I removed it everything back to normal. Looks like it's collide with smartsnap.

17. Post #417

November 2007
    2 Posts
    Syranide posted:
    You have activated the "grid toggle mode", either write "snap_toggledelay 0" in your console or turn it off in the options (set the "grid toggle delay" to 0).
    Thank you very much, but I'll have gigabytes of stuff to put back in my Garry's Mod folder

18. Post #418
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    josiahqh posted:
    Thank you very much, but I'll have gigabytes of stuff to put back in my Garry's Mod folder
    If you have gigabytes of addons then that is your problem. Garrysmod is not built for installing every single addon, and a lot of addons are really poorly implemented causing others to fail.

19. Post #419
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    You should (if possible) Make it so that hollow props (Dumpsters, those blue barrels, etc.) can be smartsnaped on the inside.

20. Post #420
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    1,362 Posts
    That wouldn't be possible. The reason is that phys boxes are all CUBES, and not perfectly manufactured to fit every single prop. Therefore Smartsnap will not fit the curviture of the can AND you cannot snap to a point inside. Unless it's on the bottom, then go ahead.

21. Post #421
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    Dacheet posted:
    You should (if possible) Make it so that hollow props (Dumpsters, those blue barrels, etc.) can be smartsnaped on the inside.
    Like killer_steel said. I've had thoughts about allowing "snap models" that would allow arbitrary snapping surfaces but it boils down to a lot of problems and massive amounts of work for each model.

22. Post #422
    October 2008
    14 Posts
    This is the best addon so far because there isn't 10 updates like dismemberment mod, (1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, ect)

23. Post #423
    Dennab
    April 2008
    135 Posts
    I seriously couldn't live without this!

24. Post #424
    March 2006
    147 Posts
    Holy fucking shit! 45418 downloads!

25. Post #425
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    1,362 Posts
    What would you expect from one of the games best addons :P?

26. Post #426
    August 2007
    1 Posts
    It works on everything, but the physgun, why is this?

27. Post #427
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    JDMT posted:
    It works on everything, but the physgun, why is this?
    If you snap while using the physgun, smartsnap will center the aim while the physgun will move the prop to the beam causing your aim to drift continously. If you really want it you can always snap with any tool and then just switch to the physgun while still snapping.

(It's also because I didn't want the grid showing up all the time, but only when you are building)

28. Post #428
    Dennab
    April 2008
    135 Posts
    It's best just activated on the toolgun.

29. Post #429

March 2005
    5 Posts
    I'm still suffering a large fps hit when the grid shows after the last update. I have an 8800gt, framerate will usually dump from 100+ to 2-3 fps every time i put the crosshair on a new prop. If I pull out the physgun the lags go away.

30. Post #430
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    Jeramiah posted:
    I'm still suffering a large fps hit when the grid shows after the last update. I have an 8800gt, framerate will usually dump from 100+ to 2-3 fps every time i put the crosshair on a new prop. If I pull out the physgun the lags go away.
    Then it is something else, the "fps drop" people were talking about is basically stuttering that would appear before, but it wouldn't be massive, it would just be every now and then.

As for your problem I honestly have no idea, it could possibly be some other addon that messes up or some bug in garrysmod. But I doubt it is anything in SmartSnap considering its simple nature. Trying temporarily removing your other addons and see if it persists.

31. Post #431

March 2005
    5 Posts
    I wouldn't say its massive, it studders after highlighting props. I have tested it alone without other mods just to pinpoint the root cause and determined it to be this mod. Every time I highlight a prop it drops to 2fps for rougly half a second and comes back 50. If I then switch to the grav gun, the FPS shoots up to 200+. If I spawn 10 huge boxes around me and spin in a circle with a tool out, which puts a grid on all of them, and then stop spinning, It seems to then have 10 consecutive drops to 2 fps, evenly spaced out in the same frequency I highlighted the boxes, as if it takes a short time for the lags to begin. I have also insured to have the latest version.

32. Post #432
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    1,362 Posts
    Now that is interesting...I don't think we've encountered a problem like that...have you tried turning off the grid, see what happens without the draw code initializing? Oh, and check console for any lua problems.

33. Post #433
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    Jeramiah posted:
    I wouldn't say its massive, it studders after highlighting props. I have tested it alone without other mods just to pinpoint the root cause and determined it to be this mod. Every time I highlight a prop it drops to 2fps for rougly half a second and comes back 50. If I then switch to the grav gun, the FPS shoots up to 200+. If I spawn 10 huge boxes around me and spin in a circle with a tool out, which puts a grid on all of them, and then stop spinning, It seems to then have 10 consecutive drops to 2 fps, evenly spaced out in the same frequency I highlighted the boxes, as if it takes a short time for the lags to begin. I have also insured to have the latest version.
    That's odd, could be a worse case of the lua garbage collector (something must've broke in gmod or lua), which was the cause for the previous stuttering, which is currently fixed by increasing the rate at which the garbage collector is run.

But, it is odd that it happens when the grid appears, because, there is no special code for showing the grid, it is the same code that is run every frame. Which makes me believe that it isn't the really the fault of SmartSnap.

Either it is some other addon that is conflicting in some weird way, or the lua garbage collector is going bonkers on you for some reason. If you want to fiddle some, you can open the smartsnap-lua file and look for "collectgarbage" and fiddle with the specified values and see if it makes any difference, but I doubt it will. If that doesn't help I have no idea what could be wrong.

34. Post #434
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    1,362 Posts
    Are you sure you aren't checking the phys box in a special way for the draw code? Because it might be a fault or a mistake in the collision check :S.

35. Post #435
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    Killer_Steel posted:
    Are you sure you aren't checking the phys box in a special way for the draw code? Because it might be a fault or a mistake in the collision check :S.
    There are no collision tests or anything done, it simply reads the bounding box and then draws the grid. Next frame, read the bounding box, draw the grid, and so it goes. It does do some minor caching on the first frame, but it is really minor, and it was previously run every frame without any noticeable implact.

Just the fact that it drops from 200 to 50 for you leads me to believe there is something else wrong, I only notice a small drop in FPS when the grid is shown (nothing even close to 50%, much less 75%). And as far as I can tell, you seem to be the only one having this problem.

36. Post #436

March 2005
    5 Posts
    Syranide posted:
    There are no collision tests or anything done, it simply reads the bounding box and then draws the grid. Next frame, read the bounding box, draw the grid, and so it goes. It does do some minor caching on the first frame, but it is really minor, and it was previously run every frame without any noticeable implact.

Just the fact that it drops from 200 to 50 for you leads me to believe there is something else wrong, I only notice a small drop in FPS when the grid is shown (nothing even close to 50%, much less 75%). And as far as I can tell, you seem to be the only one having this problem.

I may be the only one having the problem and it is a mystery. Having no other addons or client side luas installed it still exibits the same lag. Smartsnap alone lag when I highlight props to draw the grid, if I turn the grid off, it stops lagging. I will experiment with the garbage collector now and see what happens.

Edit:

I don't know lua very well. All I found is this and don't understand what it does or how its causing a framerate drop.

--ErrorNoHalt(collectgarbage("count"))
    if GetConVarNumber("snap_gcboost") != 0 then
    collectgarbage("step", GetConVarNumber("snap_gcstrength"))

37. Post #437
    April 2007
    12 Posts
    Well I have a problem with smartshop, but i love the work it's just i bug :).

This is how it is when i join a server the smartsnap won't load and that mean i can't use it. But if i start singleplayer then join a server smartsnap load and it work, the thing is that i don't like the time it takes to join two servers insed for one.

38. Post #438
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    sunike posted:
    Well I have a problem with smartshop, but i love the work it's just i bug :).

This is how it is when i join a server the smartsnap won't load and that mean i can't use it. But if i start singleplayer then join a server smartsnap load and it work, the thing is that i don't like the time it takes to join two servers insed for one.
    It should work when you join servers, however, if you have an old version, or an incorrectly updated version (remote the entire folder!), then this might happen. It might also happen if the server has some conflicting version.

39. Post #439
    April 2007
    12 Posts
    Syranide posted:
    It should work when you join servers, however, if you have an old version, or an incorrectly updated version (remote the entire folder!), then this might happen. It might also happen if the server has some conflicting version.
    Okay, thanks, I think it's the server then, I got the newes version. I will soon find out about it :).

40. Post #440
    February 2006
    104 Posts
    What the hell is this doing all the way at page 3?

such a perfect and great tool should belong on the front page!!!

(sorry for the bump but i see to many not knowing this tool, AND THEY SHOULD!)