1. Post #281
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    Thank you all very much!
    I'll compile a mail to garry about this issue.

2. Post #282
    March 2007
    128 Posts
    Xplodzion posted:
    I also have the FPS drop problem, it's really annoying, whenever the grid appears, all I have to do is move and my FPS drops and fluctuates like hell.

I am only using a very few addons which are 100% compatible with the latest gmod.

Same here! I was really concerned, thinking it was because of the new update. When the grid shows up in SmartSnap I get a bunch of stuttering and "micro-freezes" that last like 0.5 - 2 seconds at a time. That translates into my FPS tropping to the teens for a split second.

I wonder why that's happening?

3. Post #283
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    163 Posts
    Good luck, I was researching this problem for 9 days during the beta. It was driving me nuts. My normal frame rate would be like 80 then it would drop to 6 for a second every 30 seconds or so. Seems to do with the amount lua drawing that's done, seems to build up over time and snap back to normal. It got better in several of the updates, but I still notice it with smartsnap or with a lot of wires.

4. Post #284
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    tad2020 posted:
    Good luck, I was researching this problem for 9 days during the beta. It was driving me nuts. My normal frame rate would be like 80 then it would drop to 6 for a second every 30 seconds or so. Seems to do with the amount lua drawing that's done, seems to build up over time and snap back to normal. It got better in several of the updates, but I still notice it with smartsnap or with a lot of wires.
    But even without addons its there (although some Lua is still running I guess), I can clearly see my FPS drop quickly every now and then, when I enable SmartSnap it simply gets amplified most likely because SmartSnap is required to draw every frame and thus for some reasons the drops gets unusually noticable.

Garry said that he will try to look into it, but I'm guessing the cause might be quite complex to find.

5. Post #285
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    163 Posts
    The amplification is the troubling part; the more lua drawing you do, the more frequent and longer those drops get. Sometimes I'll be get 80 average for 25 seconds then it will drop to 6-8 for 4 seconds, then return to 80 and repeat.

6. Post #286
    August 2007
    95 Posts
    it still does not work with the gmod update :( I deleted the old version and put there the new one. Anyone knows what to do? I have it enabled in the settings

7. Post #287
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    VitasLoWang posted:
    it still does not work with the gmod update :( I deleted the old version and put there the new one. Anyone knows what to do? I have it enabled in the settings
    Check the console for errors, and just to make sure, look through the settings to make sure nothing is odd (like fully transparent grid, etc).

8. Post #288
    August 2007
    95 Posts
    oh I made it working again! I have recently moved all lua, materials, models and sounds from addons to their folders, because I have read somewhere, that it will speed up loading of gmod. OK maybe it did, but the file client.lua stayed in lua/autorun and was not overwritten by it's newer version from addons :o Why? Now it seems I have the sasme problem with wire - it does not appear at all in the game :-]

Edit:

aha I got it! I had wire folder and under it another one and wire model pack 1 instead of having it directly under addons...

9. Post #289

April 2007
    6 Posts
    I have .9.4 but since the update the in-game menu for smartsnap (and propsecure too, but that's another issue) has vanished when on my usual server. The server has the same version of SS installed, and other users report it working fine. Any ideas? =/

10. Post #290
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    1,362 Posts
    SmartSnap is the building assistant to end all projects, it's helped me through planes and tanks, boats and artillery, and everything in between. This has been a great asset to the community.

11. Post #291
    August 2006
    18 Posts
    Sorry for the late response Syranide, the idea you stated (Auto-Toggle off) was interesting and I'd like to see that happen (perhaps also an option to turn Auto-Toggle on/off). Another thing that would be rather handy is the ability to change the color via the color wheel (the wheel in the Color stool that allows you to change colors).

12. Post #292
    April 2006
    46 Posts
    any news from garry for the FPS drops ?

i binded the mouse4 and mouse5 to turn on/off the smartsnap, because even if i'm not aiming at something to see it's grid, i get fps drops and freezes, it's impossible to play like that...but if you turn it off when you aren't going to use it, the game works great :)

13. Post #293
    August 2006
    89 Posts
    Still useful, just installed for the update.

14. Post #294
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    Sorry, been busy lately, anyways.

Nick Seafort posted:
    I have .9.4 but since the update the in-game menu for smartsnap (and propsecure too, but that's another issue) has vanished when on my usual server. The server has the same version of SS installed, and other users report it working fine. Any ideas? =/
    No idea actually, it has changed placement though, it's under player now I believe. Or I just remember wrong.

Killer_Steel posted:
    SmartSnap is the building assistant to end all projects, it's helped me through planes and tanks, boats and artillery, and everything in between. This has been a great asset to the community.
    Glad ot hear it ;)

aX Banano posted:
    Sorry for the late response Syranide, the idea you stated (Auto-Toggle off) was interesting and I'd like to see that happen (perhaps also an option to turn Auto-Toggle on/off). Another thing that would be rather handy is the ability to change the color via the color wheel (the wheel in the Color stool that allows you to change colors).
    Ah, color yeah, never thought of that, I'll add it when I get a chance.
    Of course, auto-toggle would be toggleable, same here, when I get time.

HarZens posted:
    any news from garry for the FPS drops ?

i binded the mouse4 and mouse5 to turn on/off the smartsnap, because even if i'm not aiming at something to see it's grid, i get fps drops and freezes, it's impossible to play like that...but if you turn it off when you aren't going to use it, the game works great :)
    Sadly no, if he finds what the problem is it'll probably make the blog since it is quite major.
    By the way, you can actually bind one button if you want instead, don't remember the command right now, but you can toggle the grid using a command. "snap_toggle" or something like that.

15. Post #295
    April 2006
    46 Posts
    that's good to know, i will find the command myself, thanks =)

16. Post #296
    February 2008
    2 Posts
    I downloaded "29276_smartsnap094". If I understand its purpose correctly, it is a tool to aid placing props quicker and more precisely.

The problem I am having is that when I follow the instructions:

"If you press use (e), the mouse should snap to the point you look at, and will signal with colors how precise the placement will be...

I switch to the tool gun and I am left with whatever tool I was using before (ex. duplicator), so how do I pick up another prop to align it with the first one?

17. Post #297
    August 2006
    89 Posts
    I'm having a bit of a dilemma here, using the latest version I've got no control panel in Utilities and when I press "use" once the grid will click off. This makes it very hard to get SmartSnap to actually align for me, oftentimes for only a second before the grid clicks off. Is there some way to manually disable the toggle? Such as editing a line in the code somewhere?

18. Post #298
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    Sorry for the delay, been somewhat busy.

Brinnie posted:
    I downloaded "29276_smartsnap094". If I understand its purpose correctly, it is a tool to aid placing props quicker and more precisely.

The problem I am having is that when I follow the instructions:

"If you press use (e), the mouse should snap to the point you look at, and will signal with colors how precise the placement will be...

I switch to the tool gun and I am left with whatever tool I was using before (ex. duplicator), so how do I pick up another prop to align it with the first one?
    Well, it is not a tool for placing props quicker, but a tool for aiming more precisely. So it's basically just a helping hand for the other tools, for instance easy-weld and so on. So, you cannot place them in free air with precision, but you can weld and place stuff with perfect precision. And some people have come up with their own "combinations" to make certain setups etc, like axis-welding etc.

MrDoomBringr posted:
    I'm having a bit of a dilemma here, using the latest version I've got no control panel in Utilities and when I press "use" once the grid will click off. This makes it very hard to get SmartSnap to actually align for me, oftentimes for only a second before the grid clicks off. Is there some way to manually disable the toggle? Such as editing a line in the code somewhere?
    Hmm, that's strange, in 0.9.4 I moved the menu up a notch (in the player one now I believe), is it really in utilities, I thought it was in "options", but I might remember wrongly. I changed to garrysmod internal preset system for saving options (should be safer), but it's really strange how certain gmod installations seem to turn on the gridtoggle by themselves.

Anyways, yes, there is a convar, don't have access to smartsnap at the moment, but check the "snap_*" convars, should be something like "snap_toggledelay", "snap_griddelay" or something like that, there aren't many of them anyway. Just set it to zero.

19. Post #299
    February 2008
    2 Posts
    "Well, it is not a tool for placing props quicker, but a tool for aiming more precisely. So it's basically just a helping hand for the other tools, ..."

Thanks for the explaination.

Is there a tool for aligning props , for ex. rails, bricks ...?

20. Post #300
    August 2006
    89 Posts
    That's what this tool is. It creates a grid on a prop that allows you to properly align it with the grid on another prop, or to evenly align thrusters on touch rockets, or dead-on accurate hydraulics.

It's an excellent build help tool.

And yes, it lets you align rails and bricks.

21. Post #301
    February 2008
    28 Posts
    MrDoomBringr's reply wasn't quite accurate. You can align props using this and axis (or any other constraint that moves the original prop), but it isn't good if you just want props next to each other, not joined. For your purposes, you may find Easy Precision easier.

22. Post #302
    June 2005
    50 Posts
    Very useful :D

23. Post #303
    August 2005
    8 Posts
    Regarding the FPS drops, it seems the newest update of Gmod is much laggier with Lua drawing. Spawning a bunch of lua-rendered bouncy balls runs a LOT slower on the newest Gmod than it used to.

No more Chuck E. Cheese ball pits. :(

24. Post #304
    drunk
    August 2007
    29,178 Posts
    Yeah. FPS drops real bad sometimes :(

25. Post #305

February 2008
    9 Posts
    I would like to inform you that you have just won my personal BEST ADDON EVER award!
    My escape pods fly STRAIGHT!!!!
    Second only to spacebuild.
    Actually, no, better, because SB is no fun if nothing flies straight.
    Best Addon EVER :D :D :D

26. Post #306
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    1,362 Posts
    coming from a guy with negative smartness...Oh well, I agree that this is the best AIM ASSISTER ever, better than many aimbots, including JetBot, which doesn't work...At all.

27. Post #307
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,117 Posts
    Nice job dude, this helps me in everything I make.

When easy-welding two things together is there a way to have the rotation snap to angles using this this? (like shift-e with physgun)
    Or is that not built in and I need a special easy-weld tool instead?

I accept if you don't want to implement this into SmartSnap but I think it would complete the ability to make perfect welds.

28. Post #308
    Vir
    January 2008
    71 Posts
    Check the tool mentioned 6 posts above yours.

29. Post #309
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    BradB posted:
    Nice job dude, this helps me in everything I make.

When easy-welding two things together is there a way to have the rotation snap to angles using this this? (like shift-e with physgun)
    Or is that not built in and I need a special easy-weld tool instead?

I accept if you don't want to implement this into SmartSnap but I think it would complete the ability to make perfect welds.
    What Vir hinted, SmartSnap is only intended for aiming, and features like angles, position is left for other addons to implement, basically because I would have to implement special features for every tool otherwise and it still probably wouldn't work very well (aka, it would be up to easy-weld to implement that, or some other addon which does).

30. Post #310

March 2008
    2 Posts
    Thank, i been looking for something useful as this for a long time ^_^

31. Post #311
    December 2007
    51 Posts
    Perhaps in the next version, you could make grids for the life support items? It would greatly help in spacebuild. :D Thanks

32. Post #312
    August 2006
    89 Posts
    Turn on the option to display on all entities, it'll show up.

33. Post #313
    April 2007
    1,093 Posts
    There is a anoying error when you use the sodan cloaking device from the stargate pack :

Code:
    Hook 'SmartsnapPaintHUD' Failed: autorun/client.lua:382: Tried to use a NULL entity!
    And i reported this on the stargate mantis but i heard it is a bug from smartnap.

34. Post #314
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    kevkev posted:
    There is a anoying error when you use the sodan cloaking device from the stargate pack :

Code:
    Hook 'SmartsnapPaintHUD' Failed: autorun/client.lua:382: Tried to use a NULL entity!
    And i reported this on the stargate mantis but i heard it is a bug from smartnap.
    Ah, thanks for reporting it.
    Could you please try this "fixed" version of SmartSnap and see if it persists?

http://home.syranide.com/download/smartsnaptest.rar

Thanks!

35. Post #315
    April 2007
    1,093 Posts
    Testing..

Edit:

It seems to be working, i can't recreate the error.

36. Post #316
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    kevkev posted:
    Testing..

Edit:

It seems to be working, i can't recreate the error.
    Great (it should be working).
    Thanks!

I'll upload it as an official version "soon".

37. Post #317
    December 2007
    4 Posts
    Cool. Really cool i seen this on someones video and i wondered what it was.

38. Post #318
    April 2007
    146 Posts
    Time for some goodies!
    SmartSnap is now up to version 1.0.0, and guess what?

It appears that I found a cure for FPS drops, still I'd like to point out that it is not directly caused by smartsnap, but an appearingly not so clever garbage collector in Lua. I'd like to have feedback on how this works out for you all.

2008-03-30, v1.0.0 (important update):
    ● FPS drops when the grid is showing have been fixed, it is not directly caused by SmartSnap, but the use of SmartSnap increases per frame memory consumption and the garbage collector obviously handles this very poorly. Please give me some feedback on how this works out for you all.
    ● "default model offset" has been removed to improve consistency for model addons, it now hardcoded to 0.25 which appears to the default for the source models.
    ● Bumped to version 1 because it is about time now!

2008-03-30, v0.9.5 (useful update):
    ● Grid offset only affects the outer border of the grid now and does not scale the entire grids, provides better snapping for "building blocks".
    ● Per model offsets are now provided for each separate model addon instead, update your model addons! (links above)
    ● Added "click grid" mode, disables the grid until USE is clicked while looking at a prop, looking away from a prop disables the grid again.
    ● Fixed a very rare bug that causes SmartSnap errors (thanks kevkev)

39. Post #319
    April 2007
    1,093 Posts
    Awesome finally is the damn lag gone!

40. Post #320
    November 2005
    31 Posts
    Syranide posted:
    I'd like to have feedback on how this works out for you all.
    Works as described, though the maximum fps is only very slightly lower with it on. Average fps over time is much higher thanks to this.

Also, thank you so much for not scaling the whole grid by the outer offset anymore; before I used to snap by using the corners only, now I can use anywhere as long as it's not corner to non-corner and still remain as accurate :D

Regarding the custom offsets that are to be included in model addons; I've not changed custom offsets before. Is it easy enough to specify the same offset for all models in a pack? Like copy+paste the config then change the name to a different model?
    I've just tested with my tiled blocks, and it seems 0.228 is slightly better than the default 0.25, though I'll need to test a bit more to get a more accurate reading, I suspect the offset will be the same for every model I make.