1. Post #1
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    [release][tab]Name:[/tab] rp_Planetfall

[tab]Version:[/tab] v1-7

[tab]Description:[/tab] An Airbase with various systems and flyable ships.

[tab]Requirements:[/tab] An amazing PC to host with.

[tab]Download:[/tab] http://www.filefront.com/14979727/rp...tfall_v1-7.rar

[tab]Group Members:[/tab]39 Members
    [/release]

Update - 23rd November '09:

Once again, the old link was broken, and I only just put the new one up. I have re-reuploaded the majority of my maps to Filefront, and this page will be kept up to date with the latest versions and betas of all my maps:

http://www.filefront.com/user/ShadowSand

Update - 3rd June '09:

File front deleted all of my files for some reason, so I have reuploaded everything to the fastDL link of the official Planetfall server. They can all be seen here:

Broken

Some are in rar files, and the PFRun pack contains several small betas of maps (it's from an event). If you want to post about this map, please do so on the v2 WIP thread since I very rarely check this on anymore. This is a link to the v2 WIP:

http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=708664

Update - 20th January '09:

For those who didn't read the WIP thread very often, a while ago I released a beta of the v2 I had been working on, although I now consider it to be v1-7. Here's a basic run-down of the fixes and changes in this version:

Fixes:
    The map should now load on all computers instead of just the very good ones, and people can join when the map is hosted.
    Several small fixes such as doors opening the wrong way.
    The lights have been compiled and work 100%.
    The store window is no longer big enough to crawl through, only pass money.

Changes:
    New texture for the exterior of the ship so it no longer looks quite as ugly.
    Lots more sloped edges and other adjustments to the exterior for the same reason.
    Main escape pod remade to look better.
    Breakable section of corridor removed.
    New antennae which is breakable.
    Transmitter tower remade (no maintenance tunnel to the top, a small power room instead).
    Ground tower remade (looks better, roof is accessible, secret area extended).
    Optimization (area portals, area portal windows and func_detailing).
    All keycard-activated systems have been moved over to the changeable keypad system used in Cerberus.
    Almost all of the maintenance tunnels have been removed and replaced with far more realistic ones. That means no more free tickets into the CC. Except that the CC door no longer has a lock.
    A new brig! Funny as it was that almost no one knew Planetfall even HAD a brig, the new one is easy to reach, has nice controls and can strip weapons.
    New living quarters. You know how before, Planetfall had about 2 really cramped rooms with loads of furniture and no beds? Well now there are 4 rooms, each one twice the size of before, and some of them have 2 or 3 beds!
    Dozens of other changes.

There is a LOT of things which are different, but firstly I can't remember all of them, and secondly I actually continued working after this so I am a little confused about what's actually in THIS version. However, shortly after this version was made, LPine suggested just starting again so that the lua could be implemented easier, and that is what I have now started doing. The only people who will know anything about v2 are the people in the group, so don't ask for details. There was a WIP thread, but it has now been locked at my request.

Depending on the response to this, I may or may not release a v1-8 with some stuff on the ground and things, but mostly I will be working on v2.

The Planetfall group has been running for a while. If anyone wants to join, add me on Steam Friends (PeterAyrian).

Change log:

Planetfall_v1-6

FIXES/CHANGES:

Re-made the main shield so that it no longer has any holes in.
    The rebel beacon spawner in the Tower should work now (at least sometimes).
    The Blast Door in the Tower can no longer be opened using the SWEPs from RP scripts.
    The evacuation can now be restarted after it has been cancelled
    The coolant can now be turned off after a core dump has been cancelled.
    Dumping the core will now prevent radiation correctly.
    The Main Shield will no longer start active in every game.
    The prison cell buttons REALLY aren't parented to the lift any more.
    The entrance to the tower will lock correctly when the tower is put into lockdown.
    Turning off the shield generators REALLY will work correctly now.
    The Frag-Mine spawners will work always correctly.
    Increased the Stealth-Ship up-thrust power so it can actually fly now.
    The large shield bubble generator will look like it's off when it is off.
    The main escape pod will no longer spark.
    The inside door of the Hardware Store can now be opened from the outside by unlocking it with the RP keys.
    Using a mine twice will not cause it to briefly re-appear.

ADDITIONS:

Added the remaining computer voices.
    The row of 10 pods near the quarters will respawn 2 seconds after you get out.
    The second button from the right in the Tower will activate a Silent Lockdown. (No Alarms.)
    New 'Dedication Room' - A room specially for my friends.

Known Bugs:

None that I can think of right now. Please report bugs to me and I will fix them soon.

Description from a very long time ago:

To tell the truth, the short description doesn't do this map justice. The airbase has 2 drop ships docked in it, along with a cloaking ship. However, there is a lot more to this than ships. From the control room, you can activate or disable many different systems that are still operational. For instance, when under attack you can activate the main shield, or switch into battle-mode to keep intruders out. Want to stop people moving through the base? Activate a Lock-down.

Or perhaps someone else has already seized control, and you want to sabotage the generator so that they can't do anything more.

Whatever you want to do, you can do it. This map was originally planned a LOT bigger. Unfortunately, it grew too complex for the Source engine to handle, so I scaled it down a bit and released it! Now, it's best suited for nearly any type of RP or building.

Credits

IronPhoenix - Created the original 'gm_planetfall_001' (I did get permission)
    ShadowSand(me) - Re-furbished most of the base and added nearly everything you see in it.
    Cee - Created all of the buildings you see on the ground, as well as the small amount of landscaping.
    lazermaniac - VERY kindly allowed me to use his ships from gm_orbit_v3 as a template for my own (yes I did copy the drop ships, but I also changed them)
    P.S. I asked permission from Iron Phoenix under the name 'Deathar'

Full credits are in the readme.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    June 2007
    636 Posts
    Cool, you have my download.

First post!

(User was banned for this post (Reason: Got first post. (in post "" by mikfoz)))

3. Post #3
    August 2005
    16 Posts
    It looks very nice. Good job.

Edit:

Where's the non-lite version of the map? I want to see how well my PC can handle it. xP

4. Post #4

May 2006
    25 Posts
    Oh my god the map sounds awesome. Please post screen shots before people start spamming about them though. But wow, it really sounds like it's going to be great. Can't wait to get home to try it.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,758 Posts
    There are pictures in the link.

It looks pretty badly textured, but apart from that nice job i sould be really good for rp.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,441 Posts
    Looks awesome! I think I'll try it.

7. Post #7
    June 2007
    636 Posts
    Death.... posted:
    Where's the non-lite version of the map? I want to see how well my PC can handle it. xP
    Look in the maps folder, it is there.

8. Post #8

September 2006
    2 Posts
    This looks awesome.
    Shall download it now... cheers :D

9. Post #9
    June 2007
    636 Posts
    Ok, I downloaded it, my comps brand new so I'm trying the nonlite version first, I will come back and tell you what I think in a little bit.

10. Post #10
    June 2007
    6 Posts
    Nice map you got my download ;)

11. Post #11
    June 2007
    636 Posts
    Alright, I haven't tried the lite version yet but the nonlite gives me no lag. Love the map, but there is a couple problems:

1. The ship bays are way too complicated to use, i know you were going for realizm but this was a little overkill.

2. The fighter type ship(not the personal carrier) has some wing bugs, when you go into stealth the ship's wings spin constantly and it looks kind of stupid.

3. Pretty much everything that has a button on the ships is made too complicated, I still can't figure out how to work the ship bays correctaly.

Besides all that, I love this map and I hope to see a version 2.
    Great Job!

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    260 Posts
    DANGER: AWESOMENESS LEVELS HAVE REACHED CRITICAL!

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    608 Posts
    That looks :krad: ! Downloading! :cool:

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    260 Posts
    OH MY GOD! THIS IS THE BEST SIFI RP MAP SINCE BAHAMUT! We need pictures though cause I don't know what the hell is half of this stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    AlarinTaylor posted:
    Alright, I haven't tried the lite version yet but the nonlite gives me no lag. Love the map, but there is a couple problems:

1. The ship bays are way too complicated to use, i know you were going for realizm but this was a little overkill.

2. The fighter type ship(not the personal carrier) has some wing bugs, when you go into stealth the ship's wings spin constantly and it looks kind of stupid.

3. Pretty much everything that has a button on the ships is made too complicated, I still can't figure out how to work the ship bays correctaly.

Besides all that, I love this map and I hope to see a version 2.
    Great Job!
    I'm glad to hear that non-lite gives you no lag, because it is quite a bit better, especially with more people.

1) I'm not certain what you mean, but I think the update I'm about to make on the first post may explain things, sorry for missing that.

2) I know what you mean. I thought that this was a random bug that only occurred sometimes. I have checked the wings many times and it should work fine, but I will try a few more things and let you know what I find.

3) Again, I don't know what you mean here, but it may be explained by the edit.

As for everyone else, please post any bugs, suggestions or comments.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    260 Posts
    I have the worlds shityest comp and I don't lag unless someone is raising the shields while dumping the core and a nuke is going off on the ground while I'm looking up at the ship.

Edit:

Note that when I entered the fighter's pod my game suddenly quite and would not let me load again. The console error was something about "Host Error: SetView is not client DLL" or something.

Edit:

Note that you forgot to bundle some textures with the map. The armory is just Pick SOD for me as is some walls/doors and the fighter door.

Edit:

Fuck this, SOMEONE HOST THIS GOD LIKE MAP!

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,078 Posts
    You should get a space skybox in there.

Nevertheless, you got my download.

EDIT: It's rather blocky.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    260 Posts
    The ship needs a better texture but other then that you have the next greatest rp map ever made!

Edit:

Can someone make a full guide for this epic? With pictures and all. Please?

19. Post #19
    February 2006
    909 Posts
    LuaPineapple, calm down, you're a little too overexcited.

I'm consoling a LUA god, what the heck

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    260 Posts
    I'M HAVING AN ORGASM!
    Yah, ok, maybe I am but I think this map deserves it, it has so much to do and really would be a great RP map.

21. Post #21
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Well, thanks for all the enthusiasm guys :D

I guess there must just be something about my PC that made it lag, which is very good because it means that I can do more on it, and probably will.

I'm very sorry about the missing textures, thought I had got them all, but I will upload them with the next patch.

As for re-texturing the ship... I will have to have a look at what possibilities there are, but I doubt I will change it to a space skybox since it is on a planet, not in space. If a lot of people want it then I will put it in, but otherwise, probably not.

One problem is that I will be going on holiday tomorrow, and will be gone for a little over a week, so I will do what I can today and upload the new version.

I may make a guide to most of the ship to make things easier for people who want it, but I won't make a guide for the whole thing since I don't want to give away all the secrets ;)

22. Post #22
    July 2005
    76 Posts
    This map is very, very, VERY awesome, and for some reason reminds me of Tribes 2 Construction mod style ships... Which is a very good thing. One of my new all time favorite maps.

Edit: Whoever reported the file needs to die a painful death.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,549 Posts
    LPine posted:
    I'M HAVING AN ORGASM!
    Yah, ok, maybe I am but I think this map deserves it, it has so much to do and really would be a great RP map.
    I THINK YOUR JUST POSTING FOR SMARTNESS :tizzy:

Nice map to looks pretty good :)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    260 Posts
    ShadowSand posted:
    I may make a guide to most of the ship to make things easier for people who want it, but I won't make a guide for the whole thing since I don't want to give away all the secrets ;)
    No, I mean add picture to it so we know what a shield generator is and what do the door overrides look like and such.

Edit:

Also, don't forget to do some optimising. It does lag somewhat for me but its acceptable.

Edit:

Rastadogg posted:
    I THINK YOUR JUST POSTING FOR SMARTNESS :tizzy:

Nice map to looks pretty good :)
    Do I look like I need smartness?

25. Post #25
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    LPine posted:
    No, I mean add picture to it so we know what a shield generator is and what do the door overrides look like and such.
    Well I would be happy to do that once I have time :/

LPine posted:
    Also, don't forget to do some optimising. It does lag somewhat for me but its acceptable.
    I did try optimizing before, but it caused problems... Still, I will try again :)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    260 Posts
    The more you optimize the more you can add cool stuff, remember that.

27. Post #27
    June 2007
    20 Posts
    For some reason this map was reported on garrysmod.org, but that is probably just some guy who is green with envy of your mapping greatness! :D YOU WIN!

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    260 Posts
    DHBUR posted:
    For some reason this map was reported on garrysmod.org, but that is probably just some guy who is green with envy of your mapping greatness! :D YOU WIN!
    BURN THE REPORTER!

29. Post #29
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    I have no idea who did that or why, but it was very annoying. Still, I have been working on a few things, and I am compiling v1.1 now so that I can do quick test of it before I upload it. It probably won't be uploaded for a couple of hours though since I will try to include a basic guide with it, and that will take a little while.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    260 Posts
    Yay! Now someone better host or heads will roll!

31. Post #31
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Sorry guys. Just spent the last few hours editing the map and creating a guide. However, the guide is for v1.1, and v1.1 won't compile because of this:

Code:
    numplanes + fakeplanes >= MAX_MAP_PLANES
    I would try and fix it now, but it's getting late, so I'm afraid you will have to make-do with v1 for the next week. When I get back, I expect to see plenty of suggestions, and a way to fix it would be appreciated.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,391 Posts
    Reminds me of that airship thing from Doctor Who.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    260 Posts
    I'm like to point out a few bugs:
    1. The mounties around the temple can be penetrated by vehicles and ships.
    2. The Black ship (the one that drops from a tube) crashes the game when you enter the pod.
    3. Some materials needed for the map were not bundled in the download resulting in PINK SOD.
    4. Where the hell is the stealth ship Captain?
    5. The map's hint pop up thingys don't show in GM10 (but do in GM9/HL2).
    6. WE NEED FUCKING MAPS SIR!
    7. You are a demi-god.
    8. Damn key cards can be removed, I'm making a Lua script to prevent that.
    9. Give me the Guide...
    OR PERISH!

Edit:

Oh and the damn capture mine removes weapons (which causes a crash if it does it while shooting the phys gun).

34. Post #34
    July 2005
    76 Posts
    The black ship is the stealth ship. It doesn't crash when I enter it, but the wings keep spinning over and over when you activate the right click stealth fuction. Also, it tends to spazz out in flight because the pod isn't nocollided with the ship causing frequent blackholes and general hell as it tries to go back to it's position sticking out the roof of the ship. A simple fix with the toolgun, but still should be reported.

35. Post #35
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    And yes, i can confirm that this user did ask for permission...i'll check the map out later. I honestly thought nothing would come of it.

EDIT: Not bad a convert. The textures do need some work, but the idea flows quite nicely (see...i can be nice about some maps...specially if they are a bit experimental)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    260 Posts
    I want to see the original!

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    608 Posts
    My problem is with one of the ships. It was one of those ones with the prisoner pods on the sides and the TV on the front. It flies great, but your view gets turned on a crazy angle and it's nearly impossible to fly. I could take a screenshot if you don't know what I mean.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    260 Posts
    Does someone know where I can find gm_planetfall_001?

Edit:

Ok, I have a problem, if you turn off the shield gens and turn em back on they will appear to be on (visually) and will appear to turn off (visually) when you activate them from the control center.

39. Post #39
    December 2006
    28 Posts
    This it the best map I have ever played!

WE NEED SERVERS TO RUN IT!

40. Post #40
    March 2007
    4 Posts
    On the ground in both large rectangle structures in the smal wooden outpost and in the temple, there are artifacts(?) what are these used for? do they activate something to get up in the ship? Or are they there for decoration.