Is there any servers up with it?

Edit:

Nevermind, I found some, but they're empty :(
    I was on it...

3. Post #83
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    Termy58 posted:
    The worst part is I got detention for not standing during the pledge of allegiance with 5 other people (apparently they think we want death to America or something)
    It's illegal for them to punish you for that. I NEVER stand during the pledge, because I'm dissatisfied with the way America is going. Present to them the Bill of Rights and tell them that they're full of it. I don't think you could sue them for that, but you can either get them to back off or get them some really bad publicity.

4. Post #84

September 2007
    5 Posts
    Primus8 posted:
    Try copying/cloning one ship in hammer
    See if your computer can handle it, mine ended up crashing on my attempt at that
    I would if I knew how to use Hammer.

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    188 Posts
    Killuah posted:
    Sorry but that canyon map is a bit senseless.

How do the ships get there? And apart from that it is just some displacements and a water brush.
    SO TRUE... I wonder that myself... how did the damn pirates get down there! Oh well they did and that's all that is importent... Unless you have historical records telling why they would do such a silly thing. But either way you gota admit this gamemode is far less fun on generic water map.

Edit:

I'm not saying that makeing 4 ships is impossible in hammer... but it would screw up compile probably. I'm saying that much physics would DEFINANTLY kill the average server and most likely stagger or kill a very powerfull server.

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    186 Posts
    Fucking awesome. I must try this out.

7. Post #87
    May 2005
    11 Posts
    The use of 4 of the current ships is Not possible in hammer. It's just too many entities. Maybe if the ships were not breakable or made with models it would be possible, but what fun would that be? :/

8. Post #88
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    188 Posts
    EmpV posted:
    The use of 4 of the current ships is Not possible in hammer. It's just too many entities. Maybe if the ships were not breakable or made with models it would be possible, but what fun would that be? :/
    I win. :D Ok does anyone have ANY idea what might have caused this? I am trying to learn how to make bump map textures and this is what I got. :(

They turn the entire canyon white unless you get close to the texture... then it looks normal... WHAT THE HELL?

9. Post #89
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,020 Posts
    No clue. Never used bump map textures. Looks very strange.

Cheat: Er...that's fun though! You can toss masts at the other ships in epic fashion!

Killuah: So it's completely realistic that we're all identical-looking people, fighting each other for no reason, who magically reappear when we die and have near-infinite ammo, with water that burns us, ships that can slide out from under our feet, trapped in a cube that looks like the sky? Source isn't for realism, especially not for pirates. And I like it that way :D

simkas: Empty? They usually have 7+ people.

Omni: AGREED! Even though I don't even live in the US!

10. Post #90
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    188 Posts
    Metroid48 posted:
    Killuah: So it's completely realistic that we're all identical-looking people, fighting each other for no reason, who magically reappear when we die and have near-infinite ammo, with water that burns us, ships that can slide out from under our feet, trapped in a cube that looks like the sky?
    HEY! You don't have to be traped by the sky. :D My map is traped in a canyon....While still unrealistic it's far better than the air stoping you.

Edit:

My server is down for awhile and I haven't the slightest clue why. I am trying to contact support but they are not responding.
    Back up.:D

11. Post #91

August 2007
    12 Posts
    Metroid48 posted:
    Panzer: Did you create psw_islandbattle? I've opened it up and started editing it, so just thought I'd ask (I'm adding rowboats; sorta). And no need to apologize!
    No I did not. But the idea of it looks good.

12. Post #92
    October 2006
    79 Posts
    youaremea posted:
    I win. :D Ok does anyone have ANY idea what might have caused this? I am trying to learn how to make bump map textures and this is what I got. :(

They turn the entire canyon white unless you get close to the texture... then it looks normal... WHAT THE HELL?
    Looks like you screwed up the mipmaps. :pirate:

13. Post #93
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    188 Posts
    Jippiex2k posted:
    Looks like you screwed up the mipmaps. :pirate:
    I'll have you know I'm a texture noob so...what?

14. Post #94

September 2007
    5 Posts
    Well I tried to make a map in Hammer, and that failed miserably even after reading countless pages and watching 10+ tutorials on how to do it...it's just one of those things that doesn't click in my head. Can someone make one with four ships anyways? I want to give this a shot even if it will crash.

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    They are an entity coded so that BOTH SHIPS will sink if one gets destroyed (i think) I think it is mainly for 2 ship battles. It would lag too much anyway, you wouldn't believe HOW MANY DIFFERENT func_breakables and func_physboxes they are made of. And how many ropes.

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    188 Posts
    He is right you would have to rename everything and not sure but possibly wright code for extra ships too.

17. Post #97
    October 2006
    79 Posts
    youaremea posted:
    I'll have you know I'm a texture noob so...what?
    When you are converting with VTFEdit make sure "Generate mipmaps" is checked.

I remember i had the same problem with a texture once but i don't remember what was the cause.

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    188 Posts
    Oh... If this works then I just want you to know I love you... ;)

19. Post #99
    October 2005
    5 Posts
    Well, I worked the collision out. Here is the cutter from bfp2. Of course, I put some rigging on it to sway back and forth as it moves. The static rigging is something I would take off the model in favor of client side ropes to add that extra element to the environment. Tell me if you would be interested in that ship, so I know if I should go ahead and ask permission to use it.

By the way, there are also a couple large galleon models they have. With extensive work, I could port and add collision to those as well. In the future, they will be adding some other medium size craft to battlefield pirates. If all works out well, we might be able to request those respective to their release.

20. Post #100
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    188 Posts
    Have they answered you at all yet?

21. Post #101
    May 2006
    42 Posts
    Huzzah. :excited:

22. Post #102
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    GarretTT posted:
    Well, I worked the collision out. Here is the cutter from bfp2. Of course, I put some rigging on it to sway back and forth as it moves. The static rigging is something I would take off the model in favor of client side ropes to add that extra element to the environment. Tell me if you would be interested in that ship, so I know if I should go ahead and ask permission to use it.

By the way, there are also a couple large galleon models they have. With extensive work, I could port and add collision to those as well. In the future, they will be adding some other medium size craft to battlefield pirates. If all works out well, we might be able to request those respective to their release.

Quite nice, but you're only gonna get a "HOLY CRAP THAT'S AWESOME" out of me if you tell me that little puppy is dynamically breakable. :) (Not exactly a walk in the park to do, either.)

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,724 Posts
    Okay guys, I beat Halo 3 with 4 player online Co-op with my insane group of friends (I'm just as insane x'D) and now we are going on a 3 day trip to some woods like place. Been there once before it's fun. Bye guys till then also thanks for all the positive feed back.

24. Post #104
    August 2007
    103 Posts
    okay so there will be more updates. Gee i hope they don't hours to download.

25. Post #105
    October 2005
    5 Posts
    Omnimmotus posted:
    Quite nice, but you're only gonna get a "HOLY CRAP THAT'S AWESOME" out of me if you tell me that little puppy is dynamically breakable. :) (Not exactly a walk in the park to do, either.)
    Lucky for me I'm not trying to impress you. Dynamic damage has to be hard coded into the engine and requires enormous CPU usage. What can be added are work arounds applying damage meshes to specific impact areas. I sketched out a few models of "holes" with splintered wood that I may model and texture later.

26. Post #106
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    GarretTT posted:
    Lucky for me I'm not trying to impress you. Dynamic damage has to be hard coded into the engine and requires enormous CPU usage. What can be added are work arounds applying damage meshes to specific impact areas. I sketched out a few models of "holes" with splintered wood that I may model and texture later.
    Hehehe.

Well the way I would think to do it would be similar to how its done now, a hull mesh and multiple models which are parented to the hull that would be breakable and have their own collision models. But yeah, anything more than that will require more than a Garry's Mod gamemode.

27. Post #107
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,020 Posts
    Youaremea: I climbed your canyon walls! It's possible! And then I got stopped by the sky!

Termy: Halo...

GarretTT: Why not make a board model that can be rotated to make up the sides? We could do that in code. It would take a lot of work though.

Everyone: The mysql behind the suggestion box is being coded very slowly. Anyone know a good free service?

Also, I'm not even going to try as of yet, but I've got a concept on how to make the sails able to rip. Now, don't start thinking dynamic cloth, cause it would actually just make a hole where the cannonball went through. And it would be a sprite-based-hole. But it could be coded to affect speed, along with the wind engine and whatnot (eventually)!

28. Post #108
    February 2005
    78 Posts
    Can't wait! this will be awesome!

29. Post #109
    September 2007
    42 Posts
    Metroid48 is helping me make the news posting script. I coded the thing myself, but I've never used MYSQL before so he's helping me change the coding on it and stuff, we are about 75% done with it. So we are almost done with that. Website is about 55% completed too.

30. Post #110

December 2006
    6 Posts
    I'm loving this gamemode...the only thing that I'd like to see is a little more interactive ship, so that real strategy comes into play a little more.

Example: When both of the masts are knocked down, the ship loses the ability to move around. It only makes sense, right? It would give the other team a real reason to target the masts.

Also, it would be awesome to see a FEW more weapons. I love the current ones, but I just get the feeling like soemthing's missing in that department. Overall, though, this is one awesome gamemode. It's been taking up most of my time on Gmod lately.

31. Post #111
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,020 Posts
    There is a reason (sorta) to target the masts...it seems to randomly sink the boats faster! Plus, you can toss the masts into the side of the boat, which is massive damage :D

Examples of weapons that A)Aren't really similar to the current 3 and B)Would really add to the gameplay?

Strategy: Definitely, without a doubt, a future addition. I'm thinking full-blown wind systems and anchor abilities (like RedMag suggested), as well as larger ships. Of course, this requires map adjustments, which is one of the main reasons it hasn't been done yet. But it's coming!

32. Post #112
    May 2005
    11 Posts
    SVN update. Server operators please update.

Changes:

1. Temporarily disabled piratespeak as it was interfering with team switching.

2. You can now access the team menu by pressing F2 and switch to the other team as long as it will not unballance the teams.

3. Sinking Script update. The ships were taking extra damage when they were not supposed to be. (masts falling for example) It should now take longer for the ships to sink giving more incentive to blow up explosive barrel. This fix is experimental to see what you all like better.

4. Minor polishing to script here and there.

Please report any bugs.

33. Post #113
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,020 Posts
    Wait a second...I thought you disabled the piratespeak hook only for when the message doesn't start with a '/'?

Oh well, the fix works, so update!

34. Post #114

September 2007
    1 Posts
    hey i was playing this game and we found a glitch if the pirate ships bolth ram eatchother headon then the server crashes thought i should tell someone in charge so yeah =D fun game really fun game

35. Post #115
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    188 Posts
    Well that might not be the gamemode it could just be the server. Did you try it on multiple(updated) servers?

36. Post #116
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,020 Posts
    Yah, I doubt that's the gamemode. After all, I've seen a LOT of ramming (we need more strategic wind and such) and haven't seen a crash as a direct result.

37. Post #117
    February 2007
    7 Posts
    I'm sure you guys are already fully aware of this, but I just thought I'd mention anyway. There are some pretty good pirate themed models in the PVK mod. Especially the player model/weapons/and barrels. I especially like the barrel that says "Skjalg and Rick, Conveniently Placed Explosive Barrel Co." The boat is semi-useless I guess, but it looks cool! Here's a link to a picture, just because:

http://i20.tinypic.com/23kp4p0.jpg

38. Post #118
    July 2007
    3 Posts
    A very good gamemode, but most servers crash alot I think it could be happening because of the explosive barrels in the front of each ship and a head on ramming blows them both up resulting in a crashed server.

39. Post #119
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,126 Posts
    mblicata posted:
    I'm sure you guys are already fully aware of this, but I just thought I'd mention anyway. There are some pretty good pirate themed models in the PVK mod. Especially the player model/weapons/and barrels. I especially like the barrel that says "Skjalg and Rick, Conveniently Placed Explosive Barrel Co." The boat is semi-useless I guess, but it looks cool! Here's a link to a picture, just because:

http://i20.tinypic.com/23kp4p0.jpg
    That barrel made me laugh...

40. Post #120
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,020 Posts
    james: The barrels cannot explode due to the ram because they're in a solid room that's protected and only receive weapon/explosive-based damage. Of course, servers could just disable the barrels altogether. What server were you on?