1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    251 Posts

Ulysses Universe was previously known as "Global Gmod" or "UPlanet". Use "UU" as an abbreviation if you wish.

:siren: Please read the entire post before saying it sucks or there's a huge bug. We've most likely covered your problem below. We don't want to see a million posts about something we're all already aware of. It's a work in progress!

The purpose of Ulysses Universe is to create a GMod build/RP environment that expands across multiple actual, spherical planets. (No, we are in no way affiliated with, related to, or stealing from spacebuild; in fact, we came first) For example, you spawn on a planet somewhere in the map and walk straight forward. You'll just keep walking and walking and walking forever, without teleporting; you're walking around the length of the planet!

This is a complex project that will take a very large chunk of time to make, so please be patient with us.

Features implemented so far:
    * Gravity: Toss an object into the air and it will be attracted back down to the planet. Players are also attracted to the planet.
    * Angles: If you walk across the surface of the planet looking forward, you'll still be looking forward at the bottom of the planet. UU is dynamically changing your angles based off latitude.

Planned core changes/features: (No fancy stuff, we just want to get it working first!)
    * Improve gravity: The sleep velocity seems a little awkward, and it seems that objects can sleep if they're sitting at the bottom of the skybox. Also, client death ragdolls?
    * Redo player movement system: You slide across the planet right now unless you're at the very top. This is because the source engine was written with no plans of this type of thing being implemented. (Yes, we all know about Dystopia. It doesn't help us, stop mentioning it!) It's definitely going to be a challenge to code this bit.

This is a work in progress, so check back here for updates. We are willing to go to SVN, but due to the nature and time involved in this project, if we use SVN we will no longer package up betas. We'll follow the community opinion on this but choose wisely!

On the topic of community voting, we can setup a dedicated board for UU on our site at http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/ , what would you think of that? Would you use it? We would certainly prefer that because it's more organized and easier to respond to people. (No, we won't use a custom forum from FP)

Want to advertise? Either use the image above or this nice pixel badge:

Instructions for mappers:
    Please use our spherical templates for planets! Hammer cannot generate adequate spheres.

The only special ent currently implemented is "uu_planet". Keyvalues for it are as follows:
    Name - The name of the planet (will be used in future, please make sure you provide one)
    Constant - Constant pull for gravity (if mass is 0, it will use this value for everything between the end and Maxdistance)
    Maxdistance - Max distance for gravity considerations, both constant and variable forces obey this.
    Mindistance - Minimum distance for physics calculations. This is just to make sure that we don't get a divide by 0 or crazy insane forces. It does not mean that things closer than this won't be affected by gravity.
    Mass - Default to 0, leave at 0 if you want constant to take affect. If you want it to be a specific acceleration at the surface of the planet, use m = r^2 * x /G, where m is the mass of the planet, r is the radius, x is the accel you want, and G is the gravitational constant.
    Complexplanet - Use a 0 or 1, defaults to 0. This is for planets that aren't a perfect sphere (IE, mountains, valleys). Just stick with 0 for now.
    Sleepvel - Defaults to 50, it's really complicated so just leave it as is.

Download is available only on SVN at this point. Please do not redistribute the files on SVN via any other method. We will hunt you down and poke you until you remove it.
    URL for SVN:
    svn://ulyssesmod.net/Universe/
    Username: anonsvn
    Pass: anonsvn

Extract the gamemode zip to garrysmod/gamemodes and the map to garrysmod/maps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    February 2005
    81 Posts
    :D Sweet! Now I know progress will be coming!
    I've been watching this project from the start, and I can't wait till its finished!
    Good Job to Megiddo for all the work, and the community for ideas and support.

3. Post #3
    August 2005
    3,926 Posts
    I can't think of any way to make it not slide. Or, the only thing is the parent a player to a prop and make the prop move like a player. But that'd be kinda dirty. And it'd cause problems noclipping.

Also, how's the noclipping?

4. Post #4
    tjl
    February 2006
    327 Posts
    This[spoiler]still[/spoiler]sounds really awesome.

5. Post #5
    February 2007
    7 Posts
    This sounds amazing, I remember back when this was just an idea being tossed around. Glad to see it finally start to become a reality!

6. Post #6
    January 2005
    57 Posts
    Christ, I took a look at the math you plan on using and it made my eyes water.

I don't suppose playing with friction values will prevent sliding, would it?

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,775 Posts
    I think these two mods (SB and UU) would be a great synergy. I believe this will be the next big step for space build.
    [spoiler]Plus, those hover ball ships will be at a disadvantage now :D[/spoiler]

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    225 Posts
    Brilliant. Just brilliant. Can't wait for this.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    3,113 Posts
    Awesome,It's back :excited:
    Got my download,indeed.

10. Post #10
    August 2006
    211 Posts
    Excellent! I'm very pleased to see this continuing.

As I suggested before, you might consider redoing the player completely with a Scripted Entity. Of course, that's just my crazy idea. Good luck with this, and I can't wait to see what'll come out of it! :excited:

11. Post #11
    August 2007
    187 Posts
    You get an LUA king for this. This is great! :excited:

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,880 Posts
    I remember the Global Gmod thread. Good to see, you are going along. In the past, I coded my own gravity script (you mentioned something about reinventing the wheel :)). Good to see, you found a solution for the playerangles, even when it isn't fixed yet.
    To the gimbal lock: The rotation matrices should help. You are free to take this little matrix class I have written. It has an inbuild Euler rotation matrix generator. And as it's run clientside, this shouldn't be such a big performance issue. To quaternions: I have had them in University. I just can say, using Matrices is easier as calculating with them is getting a pain. (I hate those tiny little CxC bastards :))

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    644 Posts
    Wow really amazing!

aVoN posted:
    I remember the Global Gmod thread. Good to see, you are going along. In the past, I coded my own gravity script (you mentioned something about reinventing the wheel :)). Good to see, you found a solution for the playerangles, even when it isn't fixed yet.
    To the gimbal lock: The rotation matrices should help. You are free to take this little matrix class I have written. It has an inbuild Euler rotation matrix generator. And as it's run clientside, this shouldn't be such a big performance issue. To quaternions: I have had them in University. I just can say, using Matrices is easier as calculating with them is getting a pain. (I hate those tiny little CxC bastards :))
    We need a Math King rating!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,685 Posts
    Wow, this is really cool!

I'm wondering; will multiple planets be supported? Creating an entirely new entity will free you from the tedious bounds of the player entity, but surely causes other problems. I hope you figure it all out.

Good luck ;)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,097 Posts
    Is it me or is this coded in Win++?

16. Post #16
    Get your own DarkRP Server!
    January 2006
    5,543 Posts
    I vaguely remember the global gmod thread too. :)
    and you guys did it!

17. Post #17
    July 2007
    8 Posts
    Is it only me that can imagine a giant planet with about the surface area of flatgrass, using the gravity from this but running GMod Stranded? Because if I'm the only one, something is terribly wrong.

And could someone compile videos for those of us who are poor and don't have good computers right now?
    [spoiler]Don't bother with quality for me, I have to watch them at low quality anyway or my framerate gets decimated. Vista+Computer designed for XP=/=Good[/spoiler]
    If the sliding bug is what I think, about the only way to counter it that comes to my inexperienced mind is to stop-start the player (like simulated server lag but not)
    Then again, if it's what I think it is, I reckon that deathmatching while sliding around the planet at 100MPH would be awesome :excited:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    February 2006
    235 Posts
    The only practical solution I can think of for making the player 'rotate' is parenting the player object to an entity and moving the entity. If that fails, make the player invisible and make a parented-to-player prop_dynamic perform all his animations. I experimented with both ways a little... it is PLAUSIBLE, if not easy, to do it either way.

19. Post #19
    October 2006
    79 Posts
    Wow, now just add this, and we have Prey in gmod! :wooow:

20. Post #20
    April 2007
    1,093 Posts
    This idea is 100% awsomeness

21. Post #21
    February 2005
    81 Posts
    jA_cOp posted:
    Wow, this is really cool!

I'm wondering; will multiple planets be supported? Creating an entirely new entity will free you from the tedious bounds of the player entity, but surely causes other problems. I hope you figure it all out.

Good luck ;)
    Actually, I think multiple planets ARE currently supported, however needs a little bit of work on view angles jerking when moving from planet to planet.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,040 Posts
    Ahh! I remember it, one of the nicest projects ever.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    3,157 Posts
    Jinto wrote an Lua based noclip system in Lua that had simulated air friction using tracelines and such from the player to determine when they would stop. This could probably be applied to the surface of the planet either when the player goes beyond a certain angle or by disabling map friction completely and going on the Lua based friction

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    251 Posts
    GiGaBiTe posted:
    Jinto wrote an Lua based noclip system in Lua that had simulated air friction using tracelines and such from the player to determine when they would stop. This could probably be applied to the surface of the planet either when the player goes beyond a certain angle or by disabling map friction completely and going on the Lua based friction
    It's not the friction, it's the player bbox. Nice idea though. :P

@aVoN: I'll have to look into that, thanks!

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,794 Posts
    sorry but is it supposed to work? I get this error when trying to load the gamemode:

Code:
    ERROR: Couldn't open Lua file 'universe/gamemode/init.lua' (Path: '')
    ********** COULDN'T LOAD GAMEMODE!! **********

There was a problem opening the gamemode file 'universe/gamemode/init.lua'

Registering gamemode 'universe' derived from 'base'
    ScriptEnforce: gamemodes/universe/clientscripts.txt wasn't found. This gamemode is unprotected.
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_burn.lua
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_freeze.lua
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_god.lua
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_health.lua
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_kill.lua
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_map.lua
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_noclip.lua
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_notice.lua
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_slap.lua
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_team.lua
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_teleport.lua
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_zs.lua
    execing skill_manifest.cfg
    execing skill.cfg
    Executing listen server config file
    Executing listen server config file
    Section [Scenes]: 1096 resources total 17.54 KB, 0.84 % of limit (2.10 MB)
    Game started
    couldn't exec listenserver.cfg
    couldn't exec listenserver.cfg
    No pure server whitelist. sv_pure = 0
    CAsyncWavDataCache:  27 .wavs total 0 bytes, 0.00 % of capacity
    Initializing renderer...
    Level unlit, setting 'mat_fullbright 1'
    AddPropOffsetToMap - already found entry [prop: 521 offset: 136] in table for DT_BasePlayer
    AddPropOffsetToMap - already found entry [prop: 508 offset: 136] in table for DT_GMOD_Player
    AddPropOffsetToMap - already found entry [prop: 533 offset: 136] in table for DT_HL2_Player
    AddPropOffsetToMap - already found entry [prop: 508 offset: 136] in table for DT_HL2MP_Player
    Lua initialized (Lua 5.1)
    ======== RD BeamLib v0.5 Installed ========
    ======== Installing Table (De)Serialiser Module | ver: 1.3 ========
    ======== Beam NetVars Lib v0.71 Installed ========
    === Loading Wire Menus ===
    ==== Advanced Duplicator v.1.72 shared module installed! ====
    ==== Advanced Duplicator v.1.741 client module installed! ====
    === Loading Wire Model Packs ===
    = Loaded Pack : filename =
    Adding Cheeze's Buttons Pack to list
    Adding PHX Pack to list
    ERROR: Couldn't open Lua file 'universe/gamemode/cl_init.lua' (Path: '')

There was a problem opening the gamemode file 'universe/gamemode/cl_init.lua'

Registering gamemode 'universe' derived from 'base'
    Gbot -> Loaded libraries successfully!
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_burn.lua
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_freeze.lua
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_god.lua
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_health.lua
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_kill.lua
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_map.lua
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_noclip.lua
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_notice.lua
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_slap.lua
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_team.lua
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_teleport.lua
    ASS Plugin -> plugins/ass_zs.lua
    <CONNOR> conman420 -> connected
    ==starting timer for sending RDBeam data to Player [1][<CONNOR> conman420]
    vmf/server/audio
    entities/uu_planet/init.lua:13: attempt to call method 'IsAffectedByGravity' (a nil value)
    Refresh Lua Ents..
    Joining Game..
    Replicating server setting [multispawn][true]
    Replicating server setting [cache][true]
    Replicating server setting [spawneffect][true]
    Replicating server setting [force_delay_spawn][true]
    Replicating server setting [readmeta][true]
    Replicating server setting [forceprecache][true]
    Replicating flag on client = {
    	name = None,
    	icon = icons/silk/16/page.vmt,
    	superadmin = false,
    	admin = false,
    	limit = -1,
    	flags = 
    }
    	name = Super Admin,
    	icon = icons/silk/16/page_delete.vmt,
    	superadmin = true,
    	admin = false,
    	limit = -1,
    	flags = 
    }
    	name = Admin,
    	icon = icons/silk/16/page_key.vmt,
    	superadmin = true,
    	admin = true,
    	limit = -1,
    	flags = 
    }
    	name = Warning,
    	icon = icons/silk/16/page_error.vmt,
    	superadmin = false,
    	admin = false,
    	limit = 1,
    	flags = 
    }
    entities/uu_planet/init.lua:13: attempt to call method 'IsAffectedByGravity' (a nil value)
    hiding
    vmf/server/Aviation Pack
    vmf/server/Buildings
    vmf/server/Combine
    vmf/server/Music
    vmf/server/NPC
    vmf/server/Vehicles
    vmf/server/VMFExplosivePack2
    vmf/server/WOTS-Replicas
    ==sending RDbeam data to Player [1][<CONNOR> conman420]

26. Post #26
    October 2006
    52 Posts
    I think the fact that

Code:
    Mean's it's not working... :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #27

September 2007
    6 Posts
    I'm glad that this is back, I remember when they tried to do it for gmod 9.
    Thank you for bringing this back.
    [spoiler]yes, I am an alt of an alt of a 06'er[/spoiler]

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,203 Posts
    if you haven't already, take away wind resistance/drag so we can actually put things in orbit without having them re-enter.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    251 Posts
    conman420 posted:
    sorry but is it supposed to work? I get this error when trying to load the gamemode:
    Seems you installed it wrong.

30. Post #30
    ADB
    October 2005
    2 Posts
    Rock on. I can't wait to see this project achieve fruition.

Godspeed, Megiddo and Co.

31. Post #31
    January 2007
    183 Posts
    Fucking awesome! It's great to know that you guys are working on it. I know how amazingly talented you guys are :D

:krad:

I'mma go put a tub in orbit now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    February 2006
    9 Posts
    I have an idea. What if, for the uninspired, this gamemode included Polar Hoverballs, which work based on distance from the center of the planet rather than Z-coordinates. And, just to balance things out, their strength would be based on altitude, stopping entirely around the edge of space.

33. Post #33
    September 2006
    267 Posts
    Any videos?

34. Post #34
    February 2005
    81 Posts
    I'm actually planning on putting something together for a video, it just might take me a while.

35. Post #35
    September 2006
    267 Posts
    Does the view change on the bottom of the planet like in prey?

36. Post #36
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,081 Posts
    Megiddo posted:
    * Angles: If you walk across the surface of the planet looking forward, you'll still be looking forward at the bottom of the planet. UU is dynamically changing your angles based off latitude.
    Fucking amazing.

That's really genius.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    107 Posts
    madjawa posted:
    Wow really amazing!

We need a Math King rating!

... more like we need a god @ life rating?

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,137 Posts
    You mean we've ACTUALLY got global gmo*plays GMod*

39. Post #39
    September 2006
    267 Posts
    Also, where to do the files go?

40. Post #40
    April 2007
    1,093 Posts