1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    774 Posts

Credit for the Banner goes to Useful Dave.
    Updated 29/02/2012.

Thankyou for the offer but no beta testers are currently needed. I do however appreciate feedback on the media I provide.
    I have alot of uni work to do but I will try to update this as much as possible.

Latest News

Still Kicking.
    This map is not dead. It won't die. I won't let it. It's just I am in my 2nd year of Uni so don't have much time to relax and therefore no time to work on this map. As the status of the map itself goes. I need to tidy up a few areas, round up the sewer system, finish the second apartment block, compile it. See if it works without crashing, play test it a bit and then consider if I can afford to put in an industrial sector.
    I would like this thread to be used to give me criticism on the map, not whether or not the map is dead or not. I know I haven't posted any recent screenshot to crit but you can still offer ideas if you like.

Hello, and welcome to City12, District 14,

An urban city centre, located in former East Germany. District 14 features a vast range of large and small buildings, huge amounts of Interactivity throughout the District, Incredible detail all of which adds to the Urban City Atmosphere. The Dawn lighting also adds to the atmosphere I was looking for.

District 14 is different to the majority of Districts in that it caters too the needs of Civil Protection and Overwatch more than the general Citizens. This is due to the Districts rail links to the nearest detension centre.

The District is heavily monitored by cameras, combine checkpoint and constant Overwatch chatter on nearby speakers and consoles.
    As you enter the district, you easily note the cracks and discoloured mortar in the buildings.

Now, down to Business, The buildings which will be in the city still WIP:

C12 District 14 Trainstation -

The citizens life begins here, the Trainstation. One of the main buildings in the entire HL2 game I had to make this one special, the station will have rail links to A nearby Detension Prison Centre; Similar to Nova Prospect in it's own Style.

Within the trainstation will be a CPAP, Civil Protection Authority Point, This is where Combine soldiers, Civil Protection officers etc will be stationed unteil dispatched thoughout the District and City, this is also A place where Citizens may be questions, restrained then transported to the Prison Facility. Aswell as the above, Civil Protection, Overwatch officers etc can re-group, refuel weapons and ammunitions and hold Citizens in the temporary cells.

The trainstation will have speakers shouting announcements out of them randomly, Breen screens and smaller monitors showing images, No animations or NPCs on them.

A four minute Video walking around the Trainstation and CPAP of the city.

C12 District 14 Prison Detension Centre -

As stated in the Trainstation Section above, the Prison will have links to the Station, this is something A RP map has never had before, or atleast well done.

A short video of the Trainstation to Prison train in action. Train is subject to change, update.

C12 District 14 CPAP -

Once again as stated, The Civil Protection Authority Point will be located within the Trainstation and will lead of to rail links towards the Prison. The CPAP will feature, Ammunition and Weaponary rooms, Overwatch Consoles, monitors etc, Interrogation rooms and Temporary Holding cells.

I think having all three of the Main buildings linked together should create some realistic Roleplay action alone. Without other buildings I have planned.

C12 District 14 Rebel Radio Station - POSSIBLE REMOVAL.

Originally a warehouse used for storing Car parts is now a Hidden Rebel Radio Station. Pretty simple? That's where you are wrong, this radiostation has a working radio powered up to several batteries. Plug all three in, switch on the radio and hear it play Combine chatter, Overwatch speaking to one another etc. It is effectivily A radio hacked into the combine transmission Frequency.

The radio plays 16(Maximum a Logic Case can hold) Sounds of combine chatter randomly, this is what I was talking about more Interactivity.
    I must add I had help from Halfwit to get this radio working correctly so thankyou Bud.

C12 District 14 Small Warehouse - POSSIBLE REMOVAL.

This disused warehouse could be used for a rebel storage seeing as there is a pit in the ground which unwinds to reveal a holding area. This along with the other warehouses is in the industrial estate of City 12 District 14. Video of the floor pit in action, needs some work, I want it too move faster.

C12 District 14 Citizen Apartments -

This is the building where the citizens get sent to after arriving at the trainstation, they get issued a an apartment number and room and off they go, it's a form of population control by the combine. The aant block is found around the park which is outside the trainstation.

C12 District 14 Industrial Sector - LIKELY TO BE REMOVED.

Otherwise known as the slums of City 12 District 14 the industrial sector is a very run down, abandoned section of the city monitored only by the occasionally by the odd combine scanner. The combine have no real reason to check this section of the city so they leave it, only to be visited if needed. The Industrial sector is home of several beat up warehouses, abandoned apartments, disused stores, back alleys and more. In the case you are chased by the combine into this black of C12 you can easily lose them via the tight, narrow concrete hallways this sector is infamous for.

I have got alot of inspiration playing various levels in hl2 and hl2 ep1/ep2, which is why some rooms especially in the prison hold the same theme and similar designs, but layouts are different and I made sure of that. I have focused alot on detail and lighting when making this map and want it to be a map which will be remembered because of it, aswell as its roleplay potential.

That's all for now, when I make a bit more of the map I will post some more information on new buildings, like Apartments, Sewer, Combine Checkpoints, Park etc.

Now the big wall of text is over, Some/alot of you may have skipped all that and just came down here, Your loss really, you will not know what is going on and why.

Layout of city.

For the full sized image:
    http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/8...ty12layout.png

-The Trainstation-

-Prison-

CPAP - Civil Protection Authority Point Converted Section of the trainstation.

-Main Citizen Apartments-

Yes I have more areas of the map complete, small sections of the City is done aswell as part of the sewer system I plan to include. I had to reconstruct part of this map to reduce on brushes, I did this by removing a chunk of the trainstation and the laundry room & washroom you may have seen in my previous thread.

Hope you like it and have Questions I am happy to answer, Comments, Critisism and Ideas are always Welcomed. I'm aware some things need tweaking, like making sure the same enviromental lighting is present throughout the map, at the moment it seems like the trainstation is brighter than say the prison natural lighting. I would like to add aswell that the screenshots seen above are no way the complete thing, expect subtle or large changes in lighting.

#1 Duck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Mapping King x 112Artistic x 58Dumb x 5Winner x 5Agree x 4Late x 3Optimistic x 2Friendly x 2Zing x 1Useful x 1Informative x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Dennab
    February 2007
    27 Posts
    I like it good job
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3

September 2007
    4 Posts
    Nice map you have there :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    29 Posts
    Not too bad, you got the idea for the c17 trainstation look.
    I think you should change the strange windows at the end of the first large picture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    September 2005
    4,940 Posts
    The architecture is suitably impressive and fitting with the overall hl2 theme and I am loving the lighting in the rebel base. It looks excellent.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    774 Posts
    Primus8 posted:
    Not too bad, you got the idea for the c17 trainstation look.
    I think you should change the strange windows at the end of the first large picture.

Do you mean that one?

Also, I may be changing the colour slightly, from white to an orangy one, So it looks like it's dawn.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    1,458 Posts
    I don't think you showed those pictures last time you showed the map, good job Ducky :D

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    774 Posts
    The warehouse is brand new.

9. Post #9
    ☂☂☂☂ ☂☂☂ ☂☂ _☂_
    January 2005
    22,398 Posts
    So it's sp?

Will download upon release.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    1,458 Posts
    Cuel posted:
    So it's sp?

Will download upon release.
    No, multiplayer.

Roleplaying to be correct.

11. Post #11
    ☂☂☂☂ ☂☂☂ ☂☂ _☂_
    January 2005
    22,398 Posts
    God I'm stupid. Missed the name.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    October 2007
    5 Posts
    Personally I dislike the lighting in the trainstation

Good work none the less

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    774 Posts
    shiggbat posted:
    Personally I dislike the lighting in the trainstation

Good work none the less
    The natural lighting through the windows or the human lighting?

14. Post #14
    April 2006
    11 Posts
    Gorgeous architecture, lighting, prop placement and just about everything. Sensational work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    April 2006
    109 Posts
    I like it, good brushwork.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    774 Posts
    Going to start work on the Prison now, I really want it to look good so it may be a while before I post anything new. Oh, because I lost my hl2dm and other settings on SDK I have it make it in EP2 hammer.

17. Post #17

August 2005
    9 Posts
    You finally finishing it then Sir Duck? Nice one (Gilson here.)

Do you mind if Steel-Films uses this as our staple RP map?

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    774 Posts
    It is not finished.

19. Post #19
    August 2007
    187 Posts
    This looks incredible, the architecture and everything!

20. Post #20
    October 2007
    93 Posts
    Amazing! Gold stared, and good luck you have my download!

21. Post #21

August 2005
    9 Posts
    1 Duck posted:
    It is not finished.
    I know that, but when you do Dear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    774 Posts
    I'd rather you not call me dear, I don't care if you are gay still.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23

August 2005
    9 Posts
    </3 But still, can we use it when it's released?

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    774 Posts
    I don't see why not. Now back on topic.

25. Post #25
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    September 2005
    4,940 Posts
    Indeed. I'm having your babies 1 Duck, not him.

[spoiler]I'm straight really _[/spoiler]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    July 2005
    25 Posts
    I really like this map, I can not wait for it to be released.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    1,458 Posts
    How is it you're doing the prison train without it being Jerky like CityXs, or extremely short?

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    774 Posts
    It won't be jerky because the majority of it will be straight through a underground tunnel, I guess for the train because I have to keep it in gameplay sense, going on the possibility that more than one person may be on it or watching it go, therefor I can't use teleports. So, Porbaly just a normal train on a track going a fairly large distance.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    1,458 Posts
    Can't you teleport a group at once? Or maybe have them transfer to another train in the tunnel?

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    774 Posts
    Yeah, but other players could be watching a train vanish.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    1,458 Posts
    1 Duck posted:
    Yeah, but other players could be watching a train vanish.
    Do it in the tunnel then?

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    774 Posts
    Because there will be a broken wall in the tunnel leading to the sewer there is potentially the possibillity of players being able to see the train throughout the entire tunnel.

Edit:

So, a fairly long tunnel will have to do.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    1,458 Posts
    Maybe, have the train go 'round a bend that players can't get past?

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    774 Posts
    That would ruin the breakin/out possible roleplay.p

Anyways, some Screenshots of The Prison, Still heavy WIP, lighting will most likely change unless people like it dark:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,092 Posts
    Awesome! Looks good, maybe a little more combine architecture? Also, maybe the prison shouldn't have windows, give it a dark blue or red glow? :)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    5,410 Posts
    Do a mesh of combine and human architecture. Have like weird metal panels on the walls and blue spotlights.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    774 Posts
    Yeah I am going to do that to some parts of the prison, this part is the abandoned section and unused by the Combine.

38. Post #38
    October 2007
    5 Posts
    Aghh can you make the prison a bit brighter?

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    774 Posts
    Bare in mind it is abandoned, I may do away with human made lighting and increase the natural lighting.

Edit:

Better?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    1,458 Posts
    Seems slightly darker here Ducky.