1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    261 Posts
    I personally think that wire-mod has ruined Gmod. Before it used to be about the building. Now, 3/4 of the contraptions forum is boring wire-mod shit that half of us don't understand and even if you did, is boring as hell.
    Don't get me wrong, I think the people that use wire-mod are smart to understand it, and it is useful for gcombat and the like. I just think people have taken it too far, "Wow, another engine, never seen that before!" I just wish we could go back to the old days where building skill still counted.

/rant
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 313Disagree x 218Dumb x 41Funny x 4Friendly x 3Optimistic x 3Artistic x 2Useful x 2Informative x 2Bad Spelling x 2Late x 2Bad Reading x 2Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    July 2007
    23 Posts
    I personally think wiremod has improved the construction. I do agree, if there are too many engines that look and operate like other, it's shit. But if it is a car, for example, with wiremod gears and hydraulics or something like that, it's just good. And you'll learn other things than just construction too :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree x 108Disagree x 10Funny x 2Dumb x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    December 2007
    43 Posts
    Cheesesack posted:
    I personally think that wire-mod has ruined Gmod. Before it used to be about the building. No, 3/4 of the contraptions forum is boring wire-mod shit that half of us don't understand and even if you did, is boring as hell.
    Don't get me wrong, I think the people that use wire-mod are smart to understand it, and it is useful for gcombat and the like. I just think people have taken it too far, "Wow, another engine, never seen that before!" I just wish we could go back to the old days where building skill still counted.

/rant
    Is that "No, 3/4..." supposed to be a "Now, 3/4..."?

Anyways.

The draw I see to wiremod is that in itself is a puzzle. It's an alternate way to do something, and with it you can challenge your skills at logic and the likes.

Should see the project I'm working on, fully automating the supply system across worlds on a space build map where each world shares resources and can call in for more from it's neighbors if needed. That's not something you can do with just the number pad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree x 26Optimistic x 7Bad Spelling x 3Funny x 2Disagree x 2Friendly x 1Useful x 1Artistic x 1Informative x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    261 Posts
    I do appreciate the uses for it, what I'm trying to say is that, like you're doing, it should be built into a well made contraption to allow it to work. The things I hate are all the wire-mod things that serve no purpose, like standalone engines or in game assembly code. What's the point?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 11Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 8Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    319 Posts
    The only thing that does or ever did ruin Gmod's online counterpart is the community with a collective intelligence of that of a turd with a hat on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events Agree x 85Funny x 19Dumb x 2Optimistic x 1Artistic x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    May 2007
    36 Posts
    Citizen 101 posted:
    The only thing that does or ever did ruin Gmod's online counterpart is the community with a collective intelligence of that of a turd with a hat on it.
    Damn agreed
    Wiremod has never been boring to me, rather was fun to learn and use, and improved my builds a lot cause now I didn't have the numpad to limit me but could build entire computer systems in my ships and stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 46Disagree Disagree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,821 Posts
    It was far more fun to just build things before wiremod appeared, most people have forgotten this in their quest for more featurezz.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 43Disagree Disagree x 25Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,880 Posts
    Wiremod enhanced gmod and added more depth. No more ent_fire hacking like I did in gmod9 :)
    But indeed, it destroyed the creativity of most players and it isn't easy to understand.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 52Disagree Disagree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    888 Posts
    I think wiremod engines are a load of poo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 36Disagree x 15Dumb x 9Funny x 7Informative x 3Friendly x 2Bad Reading x 2Optimistic x 1Useful x 1Bad Spelling x 1Late x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,236 Posts
    I just can't get my head around wiremod.

I miss the days when all you needed to make a car fight was 4 wheels,a box and 4 thrusters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 48Disagree Disagree x 6Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    November 2007
    2 Posts
    Wiremod is just an addon and can't ruin Gmod.

Wiremod is really complex and i don't think its worth getting to know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 60Agree Agree x 13Dumb Dumb x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,524 Posts
    Wiremod is great big addon. It adds depth to your contraptions, but I can agree that it is annoying seeing every single contraption being automatic engine, computer in a computer etc. I liked it when people could make stuff out of crap, and then show it to the world. Not all this ultra realistic stuff, as much as it looks real, as much as it still looks really good, you cannot shoot down every new contraption that is not like a real life counter part in every way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

13. Post #13
    August 2007
    6 Posts
    That's exactly what happened. On garrysmod.org, Half of the saved games/adv duplicates has wiremodded shit in them. Not half, 3/4. Most of it are boring engines that makes a wheel spin or something. Oh god. I hope it just dies because of popularity loss. :3:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    December 2007
    14 Posts
    Wiremod is too frustrating to learn.

Menstration
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny x 28Dumb x 12Agree x 9Bad Spelling x 1Late x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,625 Posts
    Nobody is forcing you to use Wire Mod..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 49Disagree x 8Dumb x 3Friendly x 2Late x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    319 Posts
    Seriously posted:
    That's exactly what happened. On garrysmod.org, Half of the saved games/adv duplicates has wiremodded shit in them. Not half, 3/4. Most of it are boring engines that makes a wheel spin or something. Oh god. I hope it just dies because of popularity loss (???). :3:
    What?

On an unrelated note, people really need to calm down and shut the fuck up. They had this old saying we've all seem to have forgotten...
    Code:
    Wiremod doesn't kill people. People kill people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events Funny x 28Agree x 11Zing x 2Dumb x 1Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17

July 2007
    2 Posts
    Cheesesack posted:
    I personally think that wire-mod has ruined Gmod. Before it used to be about the building. Now, 3/4 of the contraptions forum is boring wire-mod shit that half of us don't understand and even if you did, is boring as hell.

/rant
    I think that it has made garry's mod more "life like" than other games which I think it has improved it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 4Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    261 Posts
    Caps lock posted:
    It's not the fact that I dislike using wire-mod, it's the fact that every one else seems to orgasm over it when it just makes the game more boring. Yes, it makes the game more complex an life like, but is that necessarily a good thing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12Dumb Dumb x 8Disagree Disagree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    319 Posts
    Cheesesack posted:
    It's not the fact that I dislike using wire-mod, it's the fact that every one else seems to orgasm over it when it just makes the game more boring. yes, it makes the game more complex an life like, but is that necessarily a good thing?
    Logic has turned it's back on you I presume. It's boring for you, but not necessarily the other people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 3Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    261 Posts
    Citizen 101 posted:
    Logic has turned it's back on you I presume. It's boring for you, but not necessarily the other people.
    Fair enough if some people like, just there's no need for everyone to hop on the band wagon and for everyone to post weird in game operating systems that no-one except other wire-mod fanatics find interesting. Keep it to the wire-mod forum.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    671 Posts
    Just because you're to lazy/stupid to learn it, doesn't mean other people can't post their contraptions using it, sure they are repetitive sometimes, but the same thing would happen if there were no wires, if you don't like wiremod contraptions just don't look at those threads...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 27Dumb Dumb x 5Disagree Disagree x 4Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    319 Posts
    Cheesesack posted:
    Fair enough if some people like, just there's no need for everyone to hop on the band wagon and for everyone to post weird in game operating systems that no-one except other wire-mod fanatics find interesting. Keep it to the wire-mod forum.
    It's only logical it's gonna be in the general discussion since general public cares about it, and, if you don't like it - don't look at it. Simple, no?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 8Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    261 Posts
    It's impossible not to look at it, I would have to avoid the entire contraptions area, which i don't want to do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    319 Posts
    So... You want people to stop using wiremod so you don't have to glance at threads that you don't happen to like?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 8Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    UberMod
    May 2006
    1,629 Posts
    Wire has been a pain for me. Every time someone comes onto a build server I run, it's always "Where's wire?"

Are they incapable of building without wire? I wouldn't call someone a builder if they rely on anything BUT Gmod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 31Disagree Disagree x 10Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Dennab
    March 2007
    303 Posts
    Wiremod takes the fun out of building cars and shit and operating them manually.

"LOOK AT MY TURRET I MADE WITH WIREMOD"
    "Hey buddy, I can make a turret without wiremod that I can operate better than yours manually. And it's not ugly as piss."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Disagree Disagree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    November 2007
    70 Posts
    I try and combine the elements of basic Gmod construction, and then enhance that with wiremod stuff. I don't make the same boring crap over and over. Though I'm still learning.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    770 Posts
    I hate wiremod. One time this wiremod nerd comes up to me "I AM BETTER THAN YOU AT WIREMOD"

Then he shows me this engine that looks ugly as fuck. It does alot of spinning things. I ask him what does it do. He says "IT'S AN ENGINE NOOB LOL"

So then he drives his engine car, so i nuke it. Then he spams "WHAT THE FUCK" about 20 times.

The only things i like about wiremod is the automatic stuff. Sometimes it gets boring, but it is also fun being followed by a car then ramming it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree x 23Funny x 10Dumb x 2Disagree x 1Bad Reading x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #29

October 2007
    2 Posts
    I've been trying to teach myself Wiremod for quite some time now. I keep putting it down and going back to it again. It gets confusing sometimes, and I've not even touched an E-Gate yet!

Edit: Or a Delta chip!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

30. Post #30
    December 2006
    28 Posts
    Deidara_fin posted:
    I personally think wiremod has improved the construction. I do agree, if there are too many engines that look and operate like other, it's shit. But if it is a car, for example, with wiremod gears and hydraulics or something like that, it's just good. And you'll learn other things than just construction too :P

Improved

YES
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,484 Posts
    Too many automated turrets. I'm good at wire (yay hunter-seeker bot), but after seeing the same damn 3 PHX plates welded/axised together and calling itself a turret, it gets repetitive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

32. Post #32
    August 2007
    11 Posts
    I'd love to learn Wire, but I can't read through all the tutorials, remember it all, and then go into GMod and apply it. :( I dislike Wire based on it being too difficult to grasp.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,625 Posts
    Crazee Boy posted:
    I'd love to learn Wire, but I can't read through all the tutorials, remember it all, and then go into GMod and apply it. :( I dislike Wire based on it being too difficult to grasp.
    Run Gmod in Windowed mode and switch between the two then..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 12Dumb x 4Useful x 2Artistic x 2Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    November 2007
    1 Posts
    Cheesesack posted:

/rant
    Wiremod added to Garry's mod.
    It gives us new challenges to achieve.

I'm sure something can be done to separate the wiremod contraptions from the non-wiremod contraptions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    November 2007
    115 Posts
    I'm working on a small shipping container "flying fort".. and since it is way too complex for just a numpad to control, I'm being forced to use wire.

also with some tricky coding, and a little luck I can get each container to have its own thruster system, and auto level itself in flight...

give me a minute to post WIP pics and you'll see..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    November 2007
    2 Posts
    Caps lock posted:

For this, we boycott wiremod

Edit:

Wiremod can add a very creative aspect to Gmod, This you cannot deny.

but what ever happened to full numpad control? maybe some buttons fowarded to the numpad? Common guys, Common.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Bad Spelling x 9Bad Reading x 2Disagree x 2Agree x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    143 Posts
    Wire mod is good for somethings, but I agree, it sort of has ruined g mod in a way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    319 Posts
    Here's a hypothetical situation.

A random man walks into a cafe and starts blabbering about how his short is better than other's and how anyone who doesn't use shirts is a stupid asshole. Do you start hating all of the shirts after that?

a)Yes, shirts ruined real life for me because people are wearing them everywhere I go.

b)Well, you don't have to use shirts, do you? Go on and leave real life if you don't like em.

c)No, this has nothing to do with shirts - it's just people being dumb about it. Smack that retard on the head with something heavy and move on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 18Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 7Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    173 Posts
    I can't stop using wiremod because almost everything I make now usually needs it. I admit to having the reason to play just to build random stuff gone, and now to make wire controlled things.

Sometimes I get a HL2 car, weld some explosive barrels on each face, put some wheels and thrusters on and crash it into other cars, but now wiremod is known by everyone, it seems a necessity to use it, yeah you can just avoid it, but now it's here, you always think "Woulden't it be cool if.." and wiremod has the answer to your wish.

mmm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    December 2007
    43 Posts
    Protocol7_2 posted:
    Wiremod takes the fun out of building cars and shit and operating them manually.

"LOOK AT MY TURRET I MADE WITH WIREMOD"
    "Hey buddy, I can make a turret without wiremod that I can operate better than yours manually. And it's not ugly as piss."
    I would have to dispute that quote, since I have a turret that can lock on and kill at 25 km. That required an accuracy of 0.02 degrees, which can be fairly hard to attempt with a keypad... and the only reason why I can't knock it down to 0 is, as I suspect, the fault of the game engine.

Your welcome to try though.

Note I'm only disputing the 'operate better' part of the quote. I'll let you have the win when it comes to appearances. Yours looks better, mine is more accurate. And if both counts, then I guess we tied?

I'll admit I can't 'build' for a damn, but I can wire it up to do what you want it to and perhaps beyond.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 3Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)